shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:53 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: MiSTer FPGA board
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:26 pm 

I've also noticed people on the MiSTer forums are frustrated they can't use the video scaler to tate standard resolution arcade games on their 15kHz monitors. :lol:

320 color clocks mashed into 240 or 256 lines isn't possible. It could be done with 480i, but it's a trade off. I bet the first thing they'll do is complain "why is it so blurry"? :lol:

Kinda fun to watch it all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:47 pm 

More 480i support on MiSTer in general would be really good, but I've gotten the sense that Sorg is not very interested in interlaced output. Not even 1080i as a video mode, which would actually be pretty beneficial for HD CRT and multisync pro monitor users.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:47 am 

Osirus wrote:
dreadnought wrote:
Has anybody managed to display Atari ST / PCW cores on a CRT TV properly? These two won't work on my setup (Direct Video), some other people's also, but I've heard others had more luck.

I believe its because they output a 31kHz signal.

I used to think that, because it says 31kHz in the Wiki, but it's a mistake. It's been confirmed ST actually outputs 15 kHz. I can even see it being reported as such in the info box, but my image is rolling. About PCW, its author also said it works on his 15 kHz monitor.

It seems like the problem is related to my cable / HDMI-VGA dongle or the TV itself (all other cores are working fine).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:16 pm 

orange808 wrote:
I've also noticed people on the MiSTer forums are frustrated they can't use the video scaler to tate standard resolution arcade games on their 15kHz monitors. :lol:

320 color clocks mashed into 240 or 256 lines isn't possible. It could be done with 480i, but it's a trade off. I bet the first thing they'll do is complain "why is it so blurry"? :lol:

Most (arcade) 15Khz monitors are also 24Khz capable. You'd lose scanlines but this way you could have full resolution when rotated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:56 pm 

Quote:

Purely out of curiosity how does Groovymame handle this? I'm fortunate enough to have a multisync so I assume it just does a 480p scale for tate games to correct them, every tate game I've tried with Groovy is Yoko'd correctly and looks decent enough.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:03 pm 

BuckoA51 wrote:
Quote:

Purely out of curiosity how does Groovymame handle this? I'm fortunate enough to have a multisync so I assume it just does a 480p scale for tate games to correct them, every tate game I've tried with Groovy is Yoko'd correctly and looks decent enough.

I'm not sure what Groovy's default behavior would be if you attempted to output a vertical standard resolution game as a boxed rotated image inside 480i. I've never tried it. I have a monitor that sits on it's side and my cab has a rotatable monitor.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:53 pm 

It depends on how VMMaker and GM is configured.

If you set it as 15Khz only and you rotate the game, it will use an interlaced resolution closest to the game's own internal one and add black borders.

If you set it as 15/31Khz because you have a multisync monitor I'm almost certain it will give priority to the closest progressive resolution.
Same should be valid for 15/24.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8