MiSTer FPGA board

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

Re: MiSTer FPGA board

Post by Rock Man »

What's a good quality HDMI cable to fit into my Mister FPGA? Retro Access lost her shipment of SCART and there's no telling when she'll get in more. I'm still going to get her VGA to SCART cable but for now it would be nice to get an HDMI cable so I can use the damn thing.

My I/O type is analog, I also have a Blisster, I hear the DE10 Nano takes a special type of HDMI what are those called? Once I get the name I'll scout around on Amazon since I'm a Prime member.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Rock Man wrote:What's a good quality HDMI cable to fit into my Mister FPGA? Retro Access lost her shipment of SCART and there's no telling when she'll get in more. I'm still going to get her VGA to SCART cable but for now it would be nice to get an HDMI cable so I can use the damn thing.

My I/O type is analog, I also have a Blisster, I hear the DE10 Nano takes a special type of HDMI what are those called? Once I get the name I'll scout around on Amazon since I'm a Prime member.
You don't need anything fancy. Even an old 1.2 HDMI cable will do. I'd just get a monoprice one for low price but reliability.

If you need analog output you can just use direct mode via HDMI, and use a DAC. Some cheap DAC dongles are hit or miss though, but in general all will work well. If you want RGB it's more complicated because the DACs output RGBHV, so you'll need a way to combine the sync for most RGB monitors.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

fernan1234 wrote:
Rock Man wrote:What's a good quality HDMI cable to fit into my Mister FPGA? Retro Access lost her shipment of SCART and there's no telling when she'll get in more. I'm still going to get her VGA to SCART cable but for now it would be nice to get an HDMI cable so I can use the damn thing.

You don't need anything fancy. Even an old 1.2 HDMI cable will do. I'd just get a monoprice one for low price but reliability.

If you need analog output you can just use direct mode via HDMI, and use a DAC. Some cheap DAC dongles are hit or miss though, but in general all will work well. If you want RGB it's more complicated because the DACs output RGBHV, so you'll need a way to combine the sync for most RGB monitors.
Would these be good?

https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Adapter-Fem ... 749&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-E ... r=8-3&th=1

I'm not looking for any analog sound, I just want to connect and see if it works. As long as I'm getting sound period I'll rest easy, whatever basic HDMI audio will do for the time being. Same thing for video output. I realize I'll be outputting ypbpr signal or whatever the alternative is to RGB in HDMI. A mere place holder until I can get my SCART cable.
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

Rock Man wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:

Would these be good?

https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Adapter-Fem ... 749&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-E ... r=8-3&th=1

I'm not looking for any analog sound, I just want to connect and see if it works. As long as I'm getting sound period I'll rest easy, whatever basic HDMI audio will do for the time being. Same thing for video output. I realize I'll be outputting ypbpr signal or whatever the alternative is to RGB in HDMI. A mere place holder until I can get my SCART cable.
Is there a reason you need Micro HDMI? The MiSTER has a regular sized HDMI port on it so you can just about get any regular HDMI cable.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

eightbitminiboss wrote:Is there a reason you need Micro HDMI? The MiSTER has a regular sized HDMI port on it so you can just about get any regular HDMI cable.
Wow I'm dumb. I forgot the DE10 Nanos schematics confirmed the aforementioned HDMI port! For some strange reason I thought it needed the same type of HDMI as the Raspberry Pi. My bad.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I highly recommend the Portta HDMI to VGA, it comes with an external PSU which is necessary for use with PS3/PS4 & the PSU also helps provide a more vibrant image in situations such as using an OSSC with scanlines activated. Also - no black crush (with or without the PSU)! I really wish the community would make it more clear that the Portta is much better than the Tendak for these reasons - especially now that there are some Tendak units out there with a different & inferior chipset than the older one featured on JunkerHQ.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O55U8K/re ... 6ZYHJKHQ0K

Use one of these in tandem with an Extron RGB interface for RGBHV -> RGBS and you’ll be all set for 15kHz for use on PVMs/video monitors. Though I do not own a MiSTER & forget if they indeed support 15kHz over HDMI…? I use this configuration with my Raspberry Pi 3B+, though! Just remember that Extron interfaces output TTL level sync voltage, so if you are outputting to some consumer-grade SCART gear/television with a BNC to male SCART re-wired with SCART as the *output* connector you’ll most likely want a 470ohm resistor for the sync! But if you are just going from the Extron interface straight into something like a PVM/video monitor, no need to worry about that resistor.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I highly recommend the Portta HDMI to VGA
yeah, that's my recommendation as well. But the Portta requires a limited range input to provide an output without black crush - which I always find a bit unintuitive for a HDMI to VGA converter. YCbCr should be fine as well of course. The limited range requirement might be dependent on the actual input resolution, but at least for 15khz input, it's a requirement.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Fudoh wrote:
yeah, that's my recommendation as well. But the Portta requires a limited range input to provide an output without black crush - which I always find a bit unintuitive for a HDMI to VGA converter. YCbCr should be fine as well of course. The limited range requirement might be dependent on the actual input resolution, but at least for 15khz input, it's a requirement.
Interesting! That makes sense to me as I noticed everything seems much more colorful when using a Portta for 240p from a Raspberry Pi whilst the Pi is set to limited range. I don’t *think* this is the case with higher resolutions/frequencies on the Portta, though…? On my presentation monitor, PS3/PS4 set to RGB colorspace + full range 0-255 looks wonderful and all other settings seem noticeably inferior.

I still find myself quite curious about that ol’ HDFury Nano GX, but it’s nearly impossible to find for less than $80 USD and I know entirely well that it’s nothing special enough to warrant spending that much $, heh - plus, I already also own two separate devices that implement the same Gamma adjustment technology as the Nano GX, which I implement into chains for the 15kHz & 31+ kHz inputs of my presentation monitor (15k = RGBS fed through a X-Vue Gamma Boost aka HDFury GammaX / 31+k= X-Vue Box1020 passing through RGBHV)
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

kitty666cats wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
Interesting! That makes sense to me as I noticed everything seems much more colorful when using a Portta for 240p from a Raspberry Pi whilst the Pi is set to limited range. I don’t *think* this is the case with higher resolutions/frequencies on the Portta, though…? On my presentation monitor, PS3/PS4 set to RGB colorspace + full range 0-255 looks wonderful and all other settings seem noticeably inferior.

I still find myself quite curious about that ol’ HDFury Nano GX, but it’s nearly impossible to find for less than $80 USD and I know entirely well that it’s nothing special enough to warrant spending that much $, heh - plus, I already also own two separate devices that implement the same Gamma adjustment technology as the Nano GX, which I implement into chains for the 15kHz & 31+ kHz inputs of my presentation monitor (15k = RGBS fed through a X-Vue Gamma Boost aka HDFury GammaX / 31+k= X-Vue Box1020 passing through RGBHV)
I have the Portta, Tendak, HD Fury DVI, HD Fury Nano GX

Portta is probably the best bang for your buck and is bright and colorful enough for scanline use.
I have like 12 of these lol.

Tendak for me cuts out randomly for some reason. I have like 4 of those as well and all 4 seems to have this sort of symptom when using higher resolution like 720p and above.

HD Fury DVI is great

HD Fury Nano GX is great too. Has a gamma boost which helps when using scanlines. In terms of performance it looks almost identical to the Portta. The Gamma Boost is what makes this one shine.

But in terms of price you have an amazing option with the Portta.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

https://www.amazon.com/Offline-Accessor ... NrPXRydWU=

Quick question, this plugs into the DE10 Nano right? I noticed there are less pins in the slot where this connects than there are holes in the actual clock module. Is there another type of CM I should get?
Fudoh wrote:
Sounds good I'll hunt down that cable type.
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

Rock Man wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Offline-Accessor ... NrPXRydWU=

Quick question, this plugs into the DE10 Nano right? I noticed there are less pins in the slot where this connects than there are holes in the actual clock module. Is there another type of CM I should get?
Fudoh wrote:
Sounds good I'll hunt down that cable type.
Yep, it's supposed to connect directly into the DE-10 Nano, however looking at reviews, it appears the maker possibly did not use the correct connector and is causing damage to the DE-10 Nano. Might want to look at dedicated MiSTer shops like MiSTer Addons. I should mention the RTC module doesn't hold too much value if your MiSTer connects to a network. It'll automatically update its time for use with cores that use RTC while it is on. The module is more useful if you never intend for it to be online.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

eightbitminiboss wrote:Yep, it's supposed to connect directly into the DE-10 Nano, however looking at reviews, it appears the maker possibly did not use the correct connector and is causing damage to the DE-10 Nano. Might want to look at dedicated MiSTer shops like MiSTer Addons. I should mention the RTC module doesn't hold too much value if your MiSTer connects to a network. It'll automatically update its time for use with cores that use RTC while it is on. The module is more useful if you never intend for it to be online.

Thanks for the warning. If only I came back here 20 minutes later instead of installing the module in that time frame. I could've saved myself a lot of grief! Before reading this I went on ahead and plugged the thing it destroyed the housing for that LTC connector on my DE10 Nano. :evil: :evil: :evil: I was also tired and groggy and just wanted the thing to be assembled already. I've had all the parts to this thing for months, without being able to connect for different reasons (slow mail, cable shortages, etc.)

The first hour I tried to push it in I realized something was wrong... I did wind up seeing those reviews from Amazon and figured "maybe if I line it up perfectly then it'll work!" I lined it up and it looked like it would fit--NOPE! Exploded the outter casing of said connector. I'm not buying anymore Mister crap from Amazon. I usually order my stuff from Mister co uk but last time I ordered there Customs held my stuff for like a month. Then I wasn't sure if Mister Addons was another website based in a place outside the US or what. If I order USPS inside the US or order from Amazon shit comes fast! I wanted a solution quickly but it caused some damage like you said, fuck me. :x I will remember this lesson.

The thing didn't even come with a battery useless!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Misteraddons is US based. It actually shipped from Maryland, the same state I live in.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

BrianC wrote:Misteraddons is US based. It actually shipped from Maryland, the same state I live in.
I know that now going forward, I'm ordering exclusively from them now.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Got my hands on the filters in the test build from a friend and they look amazing, very close to a consumer Trinitron grille (ignore the red arrow lol)
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

What jamma conversion pcb is recommended with a MISTer setup?

I've noticed that the Irken Labs produced "Jamma Expander" is one of the more elegant 3rd-party jamma adapters (aside from the Mister Add-ons made MISTercade pcb pre-orders which are currently sold out). How's the ease of use & functionality of both aforementioned MISTer jamma adapters?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I "complained" when I learnt that the most competent guy doing arcade emulation on Mister (Jotego, together with Furrtek, fixed the 3D sections in Contra after the whole life of wrong behaviour under Mame) was wasting his talent with Mortal Kombat so it's fair that I celebrate here that soon he'll be looking into essentially all the Konami 2D hardware from the 90s, which includes the Parodius, Twin Bee and Salamander sequels, Gaiapolis, Moo Mesa, Mystic Warriors, Violent Storm, Metamorphic Force, Sunset Riders and many more (sadly, I don't think it includes Xexex for now):

https://twitter.com/topapate

It's cool because Mame's emulation for these in particular has always been far from acceptable and apparently nobody wants to touch them because one guy is supposed to be doing the job (for more than one decade now, it seems)

Speakin' of Jotego and Mame, I recently heard him say (in Spanish) that Mame has intentional emulation bugs so that anybody copying the code is exposed:

https://youtu.be/vmCD5lB0mtU?t=1687

I wonder where's the "preservation first" manifesto in these cases.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Holy shit, it's TOAPLAN TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/Darren__O/status/14 ... 1319015425
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Semi-fascinated with the hardware / software preservation arguments. I don't want to make things uglier. We have to accept an approximation and the hardware and software approaches each have their pros and cons. I like the software approach because powerful enough FPGAs are expensive and software programming is more accessible. Most of the world doesn't live in rich North American, Western European or APAC country with $300 in disposable income.

Where I think FPGAs are very strong is digital signal processing. Coding DSP in microprocessor ANSI C with features consumers expect sounds like hell. FPGA is needed for my oscilloscope to do everything at its price point and that's great.

What I think is cool is Kevtris used what appears to be a $10 PIC18F2585 (software emulation) for an in-chip replacement of the ASIC in the NES M82 demo unit. Nice he improved upon the chip by removing timer limits and so forth but I hope there is an option to reproduce the limitations as they were. I realize I'm hardcore when I refuse IPS screen replacements because I want my GBP and NGPC as dim as they're supposed to be.

I'd donate real money to a legitimate effort for an in-circuit replacement of SNES proprietary chips. There may not be a working SNES left in 20 years.
Bassa-Bassa wrote: Speakin' of Jotego and Mame, I recently heard him say (in Spanish) that Mame has intentional emulation bugs so that anybody copying the code is exposed:
That's hilarious when they don't actually sue anyone who steals their code and releases it in a commercial product. Open to a correction.
Shelcoof wrote: Plus I have a very tiny ThinkCentre dedicated to emulation that's hooked up to a CRT monitor that I've been using now that does the job nicely. Not sure if I'm ready to move forward and "upgrade" with the Mister.
Me too for $110 with plenty of PCIe room to spare! Surprised 4 GB RAM is all I need for modern PS1 emulation. I did have to buy a pair of pliers to widen the slot to fit a DVI connection through.

I'm curious how long the DE10-Nano Kit is going to stay in production before Terasic replaces it. I can't pin exactly when the transition from the DE0-Nano-SoC/Atlas-SoC Kit happened beyond a 2016 reference.
Fudoh wrote:I tried reading up on the original MiST project quite some time ago, but they really didn't do a very good job in promoting the project. Documention wasn't great and it seemed to be focused on home computer emulation (like Amiga). Eventually it wasn't very inviting.

The MiSTer project on the other hand makes the end user configuration seem very easy and Smokemonster and ETA Prime did a nice job in promoting the project.
Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't know MiST ever existed until last year.

Smokemoster also compiled ROM and BIOS packs of virtually every console in existence under his own internet name advertised for MiSTer installation. No idea if it happened but I can't think of an easier way to get ceased and desisted when you tack on a Patreon for support.
donluca

Post by donluca »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:I'd donate real money to a legitimate effort for an in-circuit replacement of SNES proprietary chips. There may not be a working SNES left in 20 years.

Things have already started moving in that direction.

David Viens of Plogue has a working FPGA replacement for the Z80 microprocessor and Stephany Allaire has a Yamaha YM2612 FPGA replacement which has been measured with MDFourier and it's perfect (even too perfect... it is missing some intrinsic distortion created by the analog audio stage of the chip itself, but that can be emulated as well and added with a future firmware update).
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Has anybody tried an X68000 core with a 15khz CRT? I was wondering if it's contemplated the dual sync issue and you get an interlaced picture under hi-res video in this case. And if you could even specify the case of using a tri-sync monitor and get it behave like the original system.

Going even further, is it possible to force 256p when originally it's 512p (for those games that doubles the scan despite being low-res, like Dracula)?
wwse

Post by wwse »

Looking for schematic for the VGA to Scart RGB cable. I want to connect MiSTer to PVM 2730QM/2130QM. I have read that there can be problems with older Trinitrons.
What resistors should i use?

kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Anyone ever pick one of these up? Another option for S-Video from a MiSTER, you can find these things on places like AliExpress etc

Can connect to the RCA RGBS input (on the opposite side of the component/Svid) with a VGA to BNC cable for far cheaper than a specialty SCART cable, just need some BNC RCA adapters
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I did try one of those a while back though I didn't use it for more than a day as it immediately broke for mysterious reasons (there was still a YUV picture output but it was all blown out to an almost white only picture).

edit: S-Video did not work at all.
Last edited by fernan1234 on Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

fernan1234 wrote:I did try one of those a while back though I didn't use it for more than a day as it immediately broke for mysterious reasons (there was still a YUV picture output but it was all blown out to an almost white only picture).

The S-video and composite output was working though I recall it had quite a bit of noise especially via composite, like virtually all RGB to Component/S-video/Composite analogue converters I've tried in the past.
Oh, it has composite out too? Where?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

kitty666cats wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:I did try one of those a while back though I didn't use it for more than a day as it immediately broke for mysterious reasons (there was still a YUV picture output but it was all blown out to an almost white only picture).

The S-video and composite output was working though I recall it had quite a bit of noise especially via composite, like virtually all RGB to Component/S-video/Composite analogue converters I've tried in the past.
Oops, I got it mixed up with another converter I was testing at the time. The part I said about the component output was correct, but now after remembering more clearly I can say that the S-video output did not work at all. I remember the listing when I bought it mentioning something in broken English about how the S-video output would not work under some circumstances/with some inputs, but no matter what I tried it never worked.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

fernan1234 wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:

Oops, I got it mixed up with another converter I was testing at the time. The part I said about the component output was correct, but now after remembering more clearly I can say that the S-video output did not work at all. I remember the listing when I bought it mentioning something in broken English about how the S-video output would not work under some circumstances/with some inputs, but no matter what I tried it never worked.
I’ve heard it is a bit dodgy, as well… wonder what the deal is. By any chance, were you using RGBS/csync? Maybe it only works with sync on cvid or sync on luma…? Or maybe the exact opposite. Beats me! Now I almost wanna get one just to figure out what does and doesn’t work, hah
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

kitty666cats wrote:I’ve heard it is a bit dodgy, as well… wonder what the deal is. By any chance, were you using RGBS/csync? Maybe it only works with sync on cvid or sync on luma…? Or maybe the exact opposite. Beats me! Now I almost wanna get one just to figure out what does and doesn’t work, hah
Almost certain it was csync, coming from an Extron VGA Ars switch which means it was TTL so that may have also been an issue, though I probably also tested with video level sync which may have been after it "broke" so who knows.
azmun

Post by azmun »

kitty666cats wrote:I’ve heard it is a bit dodgy, as well… wonder what the deal is. By any chance, were you using RGBS/csync? Maybe it only works with sync on cvid or sync on luma…? Or maybe the exact opposite. Beats me! Now I almost wanna get one just to figure out what does and doesn’t work, hah
I have this unit. I purchased it a few months ago from an eBay seller. I complained the S-video out wasn't working (it would only output in black and white). The merchant was kind enough to ship me a custom made RGB SCART cable. I tested the unit and to my surprise, it worked! I asked how it was wired but he never got around to answering me. So, I'm not sure if I can recommend this product. I like it because it gives me the option to run in component (YPbPr) video from RGB SCART (useful for few of my consoles--DC, PCE, CMVS). But don't get your hopes too high up regarding the transcoding of RGB to S-video. Seems something got lost in the conversion process as blacks are badly crushed. It would have been cool if composite video was available. But seeing how S-video was badly treated and how colors aren't authentic when they are not natively composite, perhaps there's no point.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Well, good to know! Look like linuxbot3000 and Antonio Villena remain the go-to’s for S-Video direct from the analog I/O boards or HDMI to VGAs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-VGA-to-NTS ... 4151197805

^ linuxbot (also makes one with RGB SCART input with analog audio passthrough; listing isn’t active)

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/

^ Antonio V.‘s (also has the option for PAL output)

https://www.js-technology.com/store/ind ... er=product

^ Uses SCART for input and output, so you’d need a RGBS over HD15 to SCART cable for the MiSTER. He also makes a PAL version, and one with RGB loop-out. Can use a simple breakout adapter for the Svid out (he may include those…?)

~~~~~~~

Bonus round:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harmonic-Resea ... 4845685773

I dare someone to try this with component out of the MiSTER / a HDMI to component 8) It looks cool

EDIT: I forgot, this last one linked here has a locked subcarrier - that means it’s going to have better composite output than those first two I linked, if there’s *anyone* here using composite from a MiSTER lol