* Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:40 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: MiSTer FPGA board
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:55 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Is there a guide to installing a frontend like RetroPie to the Mister? Is this even advisable? I have the RAM board on order, but have played around with a few of the cores. It emulates perfectly, but I can't use the interface. Having to load with keyboard each time isn't enduser friendly IMO. Am I missing something, or is this just the way Mister is?

I don't believe that is even possible. They are completely different technologies. The MiSTer uses an FPGA for hardware emulation (ie it emulates the hardware components of the consoles) whereas RetroPie is just software that runs in an OS, ie software emulation.

I believe the proposal is not for running RetroArch on the MiSTer--it's for repurposing its front-end to make it easier to do things like load ROMs/cores and perform configuration.

Yes that's right. If the Mister is that superior, it should be able to stand toe to toe with a RPi RetroPie and blow it out of the water. IMO it's being crippled by the UI.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:18 pm 

I guess everybody's free to port emulation station to the MiSTer. Emulation station is the frontend used on Retropie or Recalbox to eventually run/load Retroarch with its emulation cores.

I'm sure we'll get much nicer GUI options in the future.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:34 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
I guess everybody's free to port emulation station to the MiSTer. Emulation station is the frontend used on Retropie or Recalbox to eventually run/load Retroarch with its emulation cores.

I'm sure we'll get much nicer GUI options in the future.

Was there no GUI for the MiST either?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:08 pm 

To be clear, the point of the MiSTer is to have more accurate emulation because of the hardware emulation. Since it's very early stages, naturally the focus is going to be on getting that right. Yeah, the menus look like crap, but currently it's function over form for sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:41 pm 

thebigcheese wrote:
To be clear, the point of the MiSTer is to have more accurate emulation because of the hardware emulation. Since it's very early stages, naturally the focus is going to be on getting that right. Yeah, the menus look like crap, but currently it's function over form for sure.

Awesome! Guess I didn't realize this was such a new development. I saw "better than RPi" and jumped on it without reading too much into. I'll enjoy the journey to full UI experience!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:57 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:

Awesome! Guess I didn't realize this was such a new development. I saw "better than RPi" and jumped on it without reading too much into. I'll enjoy the journey to full UI experience!

Will still take a year or so to mature. But there is every reason to be excited about this!
Currently playing the PCEngine core a lot, especially the SuprGrfx (since I don't own one) - and it looks and sounds quite impressive.

Offline Profile