CRT consumer TV comparison. ....please help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
reldvs1

Re: CRT consumer TV comparison. ....please help

Post by reldvs1 »

mvsfan wrote:The JVCS are really nice. I own both a sony kv-32fs120 and a 36" jvc curved crt.

the JVC looks as good if not better than the sony. - AND most importantly, Its about 90lbs lighter.

Id never buy another Sony again because they weigh way too much and i have stairs.
I'm thinking about going back for 27fs200

It has pip.....should be an easy rgb mod to practice on. At least from what I have read here

Update: got the 27fs200.....lost balance, cracked head, little blood. ....but the price we pay in flesh for fun lol
Last edited by reldvs1 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

reldvs1 wrote: I'm thinking about going back for 27fs200

It has pip.....should be an easy rgb mod to practice on. At least from what I have read here
That Sony KV-27FS100 is a 15khz display that already has YPbPr component inputs on it. Doing an RGB mod is arguably a waste of time. Just use the stock component inputs and call it good.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

reldvs1 wrote: On those Toshiba Perfect Flat tv.....will it say that on front line say Sony Trinitron does? How do you identify them or do you happen to know model number.
Just look for a Toshiba with flat CRT glass. As far as I know, they are effectively identical and vary only in subtle driver board and cosmetic changes.

It's not like there were many manufacturers of flat CRT glass at the end of the CRT era anyways. Non-Sony flat CRTs with normal tube length/depth (not one of the Korean super-slim CRTs) were virtually all (all?) using only a small handful of Toshiba, Hitachi, or Samsung CRT models (LG CRT glass is rebranded Samsung?), so some cheap RCA or Sharp TV from Walmart will likely have effectively the same glass as the much more expensive displays and it's a safe assumption these CRTs will have component inputs. Even with curved CRTs, if there's components inputs on the back, it's modern enough to likely have a very good tube in it, regardless of original MSRP. CRTs were very much a solved problem in the engineering and manufacturing sense by ~2000, which is why some cheap Sharp from that era will look as good as it does. YPbPr inputs also means an RGB mod very likely wouldn't be worth bothering with.

As mentioned elsewhere, condition and power-on hours of specific examples that you're able to come by is a lot more important that subtle model variants at this point.
Last edited by energizerfellow‌ on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

energizerfellow‌ wrote:
reldvs1 wrote: I'm thinking about going back for 27fs200

That Sony KV-27FS100 is a 15khz display that already has YPbPr component inputs on it. Doing an RGB mod is arguably a waste of time. Just use the stock component inputs and call it good.
Yes I do understand that but I'm doing it because the challenge, experience and practice.
Never tried rgb mod.
Love circuit bending. So it might not be worth it. But I'm learning a lot and having a test set with rgb, component, composite. ...not sure if I saw Svid....but If there, be a great test bench set perhaps. And I've got room for crts.. currently 6, and I can't promise there won't be a few more. That xbr970 is still likely to happen if I want it. Wish it was 960 though lol,

Maybe I've got a problem :P
When does crt collecting become a "disease" like hoarding? Lmmfao

36 JVC D series curved tube
24 Sony fv300
27 Sony fs200
Toshiba 27 af45
Toshiba 27 dvd/vcr combo......probably get rid of
5 inch portable crt IMA? Brand

Btw....for those looking for that golden crt set for games, consider this. I paid NOTHING, $0.00, free for EVERY crt I've got. I know location and availability play into that. But think about that before paying for a crt. A lot of ppl jus want them gone from home. You're doing THEM the favor.....I've had great luck with apps for locals selling near me on my phone. Just use the ones the ppl in your area uses most but also keep an eye on the lesser popular selling apps too. Be vigilant and you should not need to pay much if at all to get that dream crt set. Be determined!

Hope my info helps someone else
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

reldvs1 wrote:
mvsfan wrote:The JVCS are really nice. I own both a sony kv-32fs120 and a 36" jvc curved crt.

the JVC looks as good if not better than the sony. - AND most importantly, Its about 90lbs lighter.

Id never buy another Sony again because they weigh way too much and i have stairs.

Update: got the 27fs200.....lost balance, cracked head, little blood. ....but the price we pay in flesh for fun lol
but is the tv ok?
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
reldvs1 wrote:

but is the tv ok?
Lol, yes believe it or not. When I started to go down and realized I could not recover, I used my body to shield and protect the tv lol. Priorities!

Skin heals, blood clots lol. ...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Damn, you're hardcore about your crts. Take care man, lol

I makes me happy to see people give love to consumer crt sets though. That legit warms my heart, I hate seeing these sets go the way of the dump

As you said : consumer sets might not quite have the picture of broadcast sets(who cares tho). but they still look awesome. and can be had free.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-