Call to other VP30 Owners (and hopefully Fudoh) - 240p

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NoAffinity

Call to other VP30 Owners (and hopefully Fudoh) - 240p

Post by NoAffinity »

I'm trying to figure out how to get proper 240p recognition on my VP30. I've seen a couple mentions of the VP30 acting a bit finicky when it comes to this, possibly resulting from the firware version flashed to the device. But, also making sure I'm not just doing something dumb, and/or proper 240p recognition isn't limited to certain inputs.

My VP30 is firmware 1.14. All of the below is true without ABT-102 installed.

-I have been testing my VP30 with Saturn and N64 S-video. When I navigate on the OSD to Coniguration->Information, it shows the input as 480i.

-I have tried VCR Mode in On, Off and Auto. I have tried Film Mode on Film Bias and Auto; I don't believe there is an Off available on my unit. :\ Possibly this right here is the source of my problem.

-There is also a Deinterlacing option in one of the OSD sub-menus (sorry, I'm not in front of the unit at the moment). That option is unavailable whenever I have a 480p source feeding the unit. In the cases where I'm testing S-video that should be 240p (and being reported as 480i), the deinterlacing options are available, and there is no option to disable it.

-I have done a FACTORY DEFAULT reset via the OSD menus. I have reset via the RESET button on VP30 PCB (removing enclosure cover to access it).

I recently picked up an ABT-102, and I'm pretty happy with the Game Mode 1 response, when playing on these same consoles. The reduction of delay is noticeable. But, the signal seems to be treated the same way (as 480i), with or without the ABT-102 installed. I understand that this is to be expected with the ABT-102 installed.

What am I doing wrong, in my effort to get 240p recognized as 240p by the VP30?
Fudoh

Re: Call to other VP30 Owners (and hopefully Fudoh) - 240p

Post by Fudoh »

The VP30 can't handle 240p as 240p. It's always treated as 480i. Without the ABT102 card, using just the SiI504 there isn't much done in terms of deinterlacing though, so 240p if left mostly untouched - e.g. 30Hz shadow effects will remain intact. Wih the ABT102 installed you can only achieve this in GM1, but here the processing is rather drastic - as you can see.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Thanks for the clarification. Any suggestions for settings on the VP30 that will ensure it is left mostly untouched? :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Either way it's beating a dead horse. If you care for 240p, you add a OSSC in between.

15khz processing on the DVDOs is good for one thing and that's 480i deinterlacing.

But in a try to answer your question: 240p will look better with the ABT102 not installed. If you like to leave the ABT102 installed (due to its stellar 480i handling), I would personally go with Gamemode 2 instead. It breaks 30Hz effects, but at least it retains a proper pixel look to 240p signals - which GM1 totally mangles due its heavy interpolation.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

My OSSC is out for repair. 2 months old and it took a dump. :cry: I'm just trying to fill the void until it comes back. I have other uses for the VP30, which it does quite well at. Thanks again. :)
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

That's unusual, can I just assure everyone all our OSSCs are house trained.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Kez

Post by Kez »

BuckoA51 wrote:That's unusual, can I just assure everyone all our OSSCs are house trained.
Mine keeps scratching the couch and tearing up my mail.