Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
muggsy

Re: Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis)

Post by muggsy »

lepo76 wrote:Really excited for this but that DHL shipping cost is out of control

I'm getting 79USD to ship to New Zealand....
At first I thought it was fair, coz I assumed they had converted the $39.99 USD into NZD :) then I realised it was actually $80 USD :(
strygo

Post by strygo »

I went to compare shipping between the Super Nt and the Mega Sg. I similarly remember the Super Nt shipping being quite high. In looking at the old invoice, the bulk of the additional cost was tax (~$20) whereas the shipping was only $15. Today's shipping for the Mega Sg was $21 and no tax was assessed. I happen to be located in the same state as Analogue, so seemingly they've done something to avoid paying it this time around. In any case, I'll take it.
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

I'm buying this but disappointed. I thought Analogue would go all-out on the MD/Genesis. I guess they just want to get these systems out before the inevitable FPGA multi-system brings prices down. The price is appropriate and everything... I just thought they'd find a way to include the add-ons. Now, if they can leverage Sega CD hardware while running images off an SD card, all is forgiven.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Shipping is actually showing up as cheaper for me this time around. $17.81 to California.

I already have a Sega trio and an OSSC so this is a hard sell for me. This is sure going to make getting a working Sega CD unit more difficult. Sega CD is the darn console we need an FPGA replacement for. Genesis are cheap and everywhere.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

This site will not open up for me. I've been trying for hours.

Maybe they've been hearing what I've said about Kev's older work. :lol:

The Genesis was the way to go, for their next system. Everything has been so Nintendo-centric. I was worried they'd skip this awesome console.
If they aren't doing the Sega CD part, doing the PC Engine would be kind of useless, as the best games are on the CD half.

EDIT: The site finally worked for me. I'll wait and see if this has interpolation on this one.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Galgomite wrote:I'm buying this but disappointed. I thought Analogue would go all-out on the MD/Genesis. I guess they just want to get these systems out before the inevitable FPGA multi-system brings prices down. The price is appropriate and everything... I just thought they'd find a way to include the add-ons. Now, if they can leverage Sega CD hardware while running images off an SD card, all is forgiven.
Give it a while, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Analogue puts out a Sega CD/32X module to pair up with the expansion port of the Mega SG. The pricing philosophy expressed through Analogue's early offerings, has just been broken into smaller chunks that's easier to swallow for most consumers.

Having said that, why would you settle for something that comes up short by your estimation? Talking with a friend of mine last night, we don't feel like the Super NT and Mega SG are for us at all, already extensively invested in the original systems and appropriate scaling setups.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Keen to see the complaints about video ect when it arrives :mrgreen:

Id rather invest in something that has multiple cores..

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Is that something like an OSSC?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Lawfer wrote:
No, it's not a video processor; it's an FPGA simulation system, like Analogue's Nt and Super Nt, just open-source in both hardware and system cores.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

hmm ... assuming analogue does a good job I would kind of want to buy it if only to stick it to at games + who ever it is at sega in charge of licensing... much rather pay double (?) for something that worked and was well made.

It's nice to see such homage to the ever older machines. And imho that's why you'd buy this box: yes, there's plenty of cheaper ways to acceptably play megadrive games... but... this will hopefully be a reasonably priced, nicely made, very accurate and convenient reproduction/homage.

Now I doubt anyone's going to claim they *need* this, and if there's anything about it you don't like - even just the looks - then yes this probably isn't for you. But if it ticks the boxes for you, then I think there's little reason to doubt this'll be worth it to those that it appeals to, given analogue's track record.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

nmalinoski wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
No, it's not a video processor; it's an FPGA simulation system, like Analogue's Nt and Super Nt, just open-source in both hardware and system cores.

Well I guess its like OSSC in the fact that its open source and is being made and sold by multiple people.

The main guy behind the cores Sorgelig is on the same level as Kevtris, both are machines :mrgreen:

Sure there's no special port for your controllers or IO devices but nowdays there are so many USB adapters for everything you're pretty much covered.
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

Bratwurst wrote: Give it a while, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Analogue puts out a Sega CD/32X module to pair up with the expansion port of the Mega SG. The pricing philosophy expressed through Analogue's early offerings, has just been broken into smaller chunks that's easier to swallow for most consumers.
Having said that, why would you settle for something that comes up short by your estimation? Talking with a friend of mine last night, we don't feel like the Super NT and Mega SG are for us at all, already extensively invested in the original systems and appropriate scaling setups.
Good question! There's no good reason to buy this beyond the modest uptick over the original hardware, but unfortunately I find that reason irresistible. I'll always have my original hardware but I've had a lot go wrong over the years (CDX, Duo-R, RGBNES) and I see *new* versions of the hardware as the more affordable future.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Syntax wrote:Sure there's no special port for your controllers or IO devices but nowdays there are so many USB adapters for everything you're pretty much covered.
Sadly, in my experience with USB adapters, they tend to add lag. Unless some kind of special controller boards come along, I think native-USB controllers are going to perform better.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Dochartaigh wrote:Does anybody else simply not give a crap about these, or the SNES version? No RGB - Fail. No extra cores (ever?) available (at least that's where the SNES one released a while ago is still at, right?) - Fail.

NES one I kinda still want (even though I already have a RGB modded NES...).
I feel the same way. And I'm not sure how their supposed analogue adapter will work, but the reported lowest resolution for this console is 480p. Who knows what the RGB will look like.

I also want the NT Mini but now you have to pay a lot for it on eBay or nothing, because Analogue will never make it again. Why offer again an actually good product with multiple cores when you can sell individual consoles for individual cores/systems? With a jailbreak like the one for the NT Mini, the Super NT would have been able to do what the Mega Sg will do, since both are 16-bit systems (and it could also do everything the Nt Mini does). But now you see why the best that The Super NT will ever offer is ROM support. They won't let Kevtris do anything beyond that again.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

nmalinoski wrote:
Syntax wrote:Sure there's no special port for your controllers or IO devices but nowdays there are so many USB adapters for everything you're pretty much covered.
Sadly, in my experience with USB adapters, they tend to add lag. Unless some kind of special controller boards come along, I think native-USB controllers are going to perform better.
Raphnet adapters don't add more than a millisecond or two. So, that's really a non-issue.
We apologise for the inconvenience
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I would kind of want to buy it if only to stick it to at games + who ever it is at sega in charge of licensing...
You can stick it to them by continuing to not buy any of their PnP garbage. It doesn't require purchasing anybody else's product.
nmalinoski wrote:..I think native-USB controllers are going to perform better.
Alongside all the 2.4G/Bluetooth wireless ones, there are more and more native USB replica controllers coming out these days. This shouldn't be an issue.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Syntax wrote:Keen to see the complaints about video ect when it arrives :mrgreen:

I take it you cant buy these pre-made?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

lettuce wrote:
Syntax wrote:Keen to see the complaints about video ect when it arrives :mrgreen:

I think you can. Via the How to get boards? page on that wiki: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=33613
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

nmalinoski wrote:
lettuce wrote:

I think you can. Via the How to get boards? page on that wiki: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=33613
On Atari age theres a resellers thread.
I chose retro shop to purchase my unit and the service they provided me was on point. Great team there.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/retroshoppo ... e_internal

I just cant understand why someone would pay so much for analogs stuff. They are all far from a perfect replica as far as compatability and functions go.

That and the fact they are a company that have to make money kinda screws with development options like one one core per console.
I'd much rather MiSTer, it's far more powerfull and smaller than the analog products and has large community with constant updates and support.
muggsy

Post by muggsy »

Nice. After SmokeMonsters video I did look into MiSTer FPGA but it was quite confusing as to where to get the components. I'll definitely check out the PT FB shop once I've paid off the Mega SG
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

To my understanding to build a MiSTer
You need these two
https://tinkerplunk.myshopify.com

And this
https://www.amazon.com/Terasic-Technolo ... ref=plSrch
The Future Is Now
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Are there any cartridge interface options for the MiSTer?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Catzoo

Post by Catzoo »

Not yet, but this is something community should (and probably will) look into. Voultar even made a tweet about it ... and that's something i would love to see.

This could end up being the ultimate console, and i'm really exited about this project too.
donluca

Post by donluca »

I'm really interested into the MiSTer as well. I'm wondering if they'll ever give you an option to use a real 68000/Z80 processor to have perfect CPU emulation, that would really revolutionize how old consoles are emulated.

Something like there'll be a socket to use the real processor: if the FPGA detects it, it will be used, if the socket is empty, it'll be emulated.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Anyone looking to get a Sega CD to use with this Mega Sg better do it now. Prices on ebay for them are already near $200. :shock:
donluca

Post by donluca »

Seraphic wrote:Anyone looking to get a Sega CD to use with this Mega Sg better do it now. Prices on ebay for them are already near $200. :shock:
Yikes.

I'm really tempted to sell my Model 1 MegaCD.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

What we really need is a fpga sega cd ode. Then I’ll happily sell someone my sega cd 2
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I hope they will do a Mega CD clone themselves. Both the MCD1 and 2 will look god awful connected to the Mega Sg since it’s so small.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

It's going to be a bloodbath to import one here in Italy, but that's not the reason why I didn't place my order yet.
I'd like to better understand how it's gonna work under very specific circumstances: for example, how will it handle the annoying 320>256p resolution swaps in games such as Vampire Killer or Splatterhouse: Part 3? Also, will it provide a masking tool to cut out the coloured overscan area, which is rather distracting in so many MD games? I mean, these may be minor quirks for some, but since the OSSC is already serving me well, I'll buy only if it pans out to be a truly 'definitive' solution.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Konsolkongen wrote:I hope they will do a Mega CD clone themselves. Both the MCD1 and 2 will look god awful connected to the Mega Sg since it’s so small.
Why the hell didn't they just make it an all in one like the Sega CDX?
I am sure they thought of it, but most likely could not hit their target price point so the idea was dropped.