Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bigbadboaz

Re: Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis)

Post by bigbadboaz »

FWIW, these are supposedly "premium" as far as molded plastics go. Lots and lots of comments in the Super Nt reviews regarding how the build is noticeably sturdier than the original console's. It seems to me they are hitting a good niche in being reasonably premium while no longer pricing themselves out of so many buyers' range.

Of course, IMO their first few products went way too far to begin with. I'll take upgraded plastics any day - just seems more appropriate to what the product actually is.
hemipode

Post by hemipode »

Yeah, they're no doubt nicely crafted, reasonably in line with what they house and actually do.
Really no other reason than that it just pleases my unnecessary material cravings - details that lifts it into luxury territory.
Makes them look like beautiful little industrial art pieces.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

That's cool, to each his own. Unfortunately, they definitely seem to be trending closer to the mass market and not back towards their earliest products.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Anybody in the uk had any luck pre ordering a console ? Whats the grand total including shipping? Not having much luck with the website.
Anyone have any good feedback for the super nt version of this ? Is playing snes on hdmi really incredible ? Or is a crt and rgb just the way to go ?
Arms installation complete Good luck
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Shipping to Germany is $50, so I assume UK will be the same.

The shop system gives me a 403 error on all versions of Chrome I have installed as well as on a slightly dated Firefox version (instant white text-only 403 screen when I hit the BUY button). A newer version of Firefox works fine though and did so since their website problems during the first hours after the newsletter had been fixed.
low_budget

Post by low_budget »

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/analogue ... o.1076624/

Analogue repeatedly lied to their pre order customers for a year. Weird how nobody cares about that.

The smart thing to do is wait until they are actually available if you want one. It’s not like they will stop production.
parodius

Post by parodius »

low_budget wrote:https://www.neogaf.com/threads/analogue ... o.1076624/

Analogue repeatedly lied to their pre order customers for a year. Weird how nobody cares about that.

The smart thing to do is wait until they are actually available if you want one. It’s not like they will stop production.
Did they repeat the same mistakes/bad practices with the Super NT ?
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Did they repeat the same mistakes/bad practices with the Super NT ?
not really. The Super Nt shipped on time. International orders arrived fast and safe.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Axelay wrote:Anybody in the uk had any luck pre ordering a console ? Whats the grand total including shipping? Not having much luck with the website.
Anyone have any good feedback for the super nt version of this ? Is playing snes on hdmi really incredible ? Or is a crt and rgb just the way to go ?
Crt and RGB is the way to go, it can not get any better than that period.
The HDMI route is for people with space constraints, convenience and those that don't mind the look of LCD/OLED.. choices are good:).
The Future Is Now
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:
Axelay wrote:Anybody in the uk had any luck pre ordering a console ? Whats the grand total including shipping? Not having much luck with the website.
The HDMI route is for people with space constraints, convenience and those that don't mind the look of LCD/OLED.. choices are good:).
Oh definitely, if I had a two-bedroom place I absolutely would have brought over my PVM and I'd still try to stick to original hardware. But at the same time CRTs and original hardware aren't getting any younger, so unfortunately I've been retiring some of my original consoles in favor of FPGA-based stuff like the Mega Sg. Plus the Mega Sg has the benefit of playing pretty much every 8-bit and 16-bit Sega game out there (including SG-1000 and Game Gear games which the Genesis/MD can't do!), so anything that helps save space and adds functionality without resorting to emulation wins major brownie points with me.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:
Real hardware is fantastic.

But, I decided to get this one because it plays Game Gear games and instantly solves stubborn jailbar issues right out of the box.

A TG16/PCE product with SuperCD rom support would also be an automatic purchase. I gave up trying to fix the TG16.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Really appreciate the feedback people .
Wow im in shock just got a tax rebate . And i was just looking to spend it on the nt !
Ah well!
My original md is still working fine and i do have the space for my sony crt set up and original hardware .
Still tempted for one of these suckers i love the md to much.
Thanks for all the info people and good luck to all the people who pre ordered .
Please please post lots of pictures and feedback i want to see this bad boy in action i can't wait!!
Arms installation complete Good luck
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

bobrocks95 wrote:Also, I wonder if all the people who said the Super NT would definitely add more cores have sworn off Analogue forever or are thinking about buying this anyway...
Nope. I won't be buying any Analogue products until the Super Nt or Mega Sg get every core on the Nt Mini. Even then I still wouldn't buy the Mega Sg until it gets a 32x core or I would still need my Genesis in my setup and space is tight enough without having multiples of the same console. I might pick up the MiSTer instead if they add lagless hdmi support and I can buy them premade somewhere because I have 0 interest in soldering together my own console like I'm trying to make a Thanos killing axe in the heart of a dying star. I just want to play games on one console with no lag, sd card loading, and original controller support.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I can buy them premade somewhere because I have 0 interest in soldering together my own console
The DE10-nano is ready to use out of the box and all the add ons (like Ram extension or any upcoming controller board) are plug and play.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Syntax wrote:
lettuce wrote: But are the people working on it as talented as Kevtris? Also noticed theres no SNES core
Not getting into a dick swinging competition but in a bare knuckle fight id put my money on Sorgelig not Kevtris..
Kevtris would win every day of the week. The MiSTer can't even do 0 lag hdmi. The only downside to Kevtris' products is that he's freaking insane and instead of adding the Intellivision core which is a week away from being finished he'll vanish for 6 months and release an entire SNES core and then instead of reworking the scanlines for the SNES or finally finishing the Intellivision core he'll vanish for another 6 months and release a Genesis core.

Just compare the bug reports for each system and its pretty clear that Kevtris is fpga Jesus when he actually has time to tackle his incredibly small bug report list. That is why it is such a shame Analogue isn't interested in doing an all in one like he initially planned.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Fudoh wrote:
I can buy them premade somewhere because I have 0 interest in soldering together my own console
The DE10-nano is ready to use out of the box and all the add ons (like Ram extension or any upcoming controller board) are plug and play.
I believe SmokeMonster also mentioned some ram he recommended buying and a Neo Geo board that might come out, is the same true for those as well?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There's one standard ram extension board that's easily available - so unless you're looking for something old on purpose, you would get that board. What Furrtek (did I spell that right?) intends to put onto his NG extension board hasn't been announced yet. We'll have to see. But yes, nothing on the DE10 nano will require you to solder. It's a fully assembled end user board (with plexi topping) which has lots of I/Os to plus in various extensions.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Fudoh wrote:There's one standard ram extension board that's easily available - so unless you're looking for something old on purpose, you would get that board. What Furrtek (did I spell that right?) intends to put onto his NG extension board hasn't been announced yet. We'll have to see. But yes, nothing on the DE10 nano will require you to solder. It's a fully assembled end user board (with plexi topping) which has lots of I/Os to plus in various extensions.
Oh that's awesome then. I'll be sure to pick one up in the near future. Btw does the MiSTer or any of its lead devs have a patreon or anything? I would very much like to support what the MiSTer is trying to accomplish.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Wolf_ wrote:
Syntax wrote:
lettuce wrote: But are the people working on it as talented as Kevtris? Also noticed theres no SNES core
Not getting into a dick swinging competition but in a bare knuckle fight id put my money on Sorgelig not Kevtris..
Kevtris would win every day of the week. The MiSTer can't even do 0 lag hdmi. The only downside to Kevtris' products is that he's freaking insane and instead of adding the Intellivision core which is a week away from being finished he'll vanish for 6 months and release an entire SNES core and then instead of reworking the scanlines for the SNES or finally finishing the Intellivision core he'll vanish for another 6 months and release a Genesis core.

Just compare the bug reports for each system and its pretty clear that Kevtris is fpga Jesus when he actually has time to tackle his incredibly small bug report list. That is why it is such a shame Analogue isn't interested in doing an all in one like he initially planned.
He also won't fix the problems with Hi Def NES.
Not great with customer feedback.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
Syntax wrote:Not getting into a dick swinging competition but in a bare knuckle fight id put my money on Sorgelig not Kevtris..

He also won't fix the problems with Hi Def NES.
Not great with customer feedback.
What problems with the Hi Def NES? Most people seem to think it is perfect so I'm inclined to believe that anyone with a problem with it is wrong. Also I'm pretty sure he ran out of room on the chip so he can't change anything even if he wanted to, but I'm pretty sure it's perfect (at least if it has the same magic goo he put in the Nt Mini).
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Wolf_ wrote: What problems with the Hi Def NES? Most people seem to think it is perfect so I'm inclined to believe that anyone with a problem with it is wrong. Also I'm pretty sure he ran out of room on the chip so he can't change anything even if he wanted to, but I'm pretty sure it's perfect (at least if it has the same magic goo he put in the Nt Mini).
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52216&start=420

Ill use my NESRGB over this anyday.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Syntax wrote:
Wolf_ wrote: What problems with the Hi Def NES? Most people seem to think it is perfect so I'm inclined to believe that anyone with a problem with it is wrong. Also I'm pretty sure he ran out of room on the chip so he can't change anything even if he wanted to, but I'm pretty sure it's perfect (at least if it has the same magic goo he put in the Nt Mini).
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52216&start=420

Ill use my NESRGB over this anyday.
Sounds like something he should fix but might not have the room to fix but either way it doesn't affect me because the Nt Mini is obviously the best NES experience you can get + it has the core store.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Wolf_ wrote:
What problems with the Hi Def NES? Most people seem to think it is perfect so I'm inclined to believe that anyone with a problem with it is wrong. Also I'm pretty sure he ran out of room on the chip so he can't change anything even if he wanted to, but I'm pretty sure it's perfect (at least if it has the same magic goo he put in the Nt Mini).
He could remove things, and then add things. The palettes are completely wrong, and he took out interpolation for more palettes...so now you have shaky scrolling and YUV looking colors. It's a masterpiece.
People must have low standards. Maybe they're using the Black and White palette, and not noticing.

He's talented, but once he's done with a project, he's fucking done. And on to the next one. So, if there's issues, forget about them being fixed. You never know, whenever he makes some replica of the PS4, he'll get around to fixing the problems.
I really just don't think he cares.

I like the Super NT. But the HiDef NES makes me want to scream. Just a couple of things to fix it...but nope. Ah well. I've wasted more money on lesser things.
And it WAS a waste of money.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
He could remove things, and then add things. The palettes are completely wrong, and he took out interpolation for more palettes...so now you have shaky scrolling and YUV looking colors. It's a masterpiece.
People must have low standards. Maybe they're using the Black and White palette, and not noticing.

He's talented, but once he's done with a project, he's fucking done. And on to the next one. So, if there's issues, forget about them being fixed. You never know, whenever he makes some replica of the PS4, he'll get around to fixing the problems.
I really just don't think he cares.

I like the Super NT. But the HiDef NES makes me want to scream. Just a couple of things to fix it...but nope. Ah well. I've wasted more money on lesser things.
And it WAS a waste of money.
I've said that was his downside, but the man has two full time jobs so if he works on stuff in order of his passions I don't think that is a deal breaker. After all there are only so many cores he can be super passionate about before he has caught up to what current fpga tech can handle at a price people are willing to pay. It would be nice if he could take a few weeks to touch stuff up instead of jump into his next half a year long project but the hours he works are simply insane.

Also if the latest Hi Def NES firmware is a total bust you could always use the previous firmware right? It might have some problems he fixed in the latest version but hopefully it would at least be usable.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

The shipping is still very confusing to me. I added a Mega SG to my cart when pre-orders first went up and the shipping showed as $16.xx. I decided I was going to wait until I got paid before I placed my order so I didn't complete my order. Went back to place my order later after pay day and got an error message saying that UPS ground shipping is no longer available, and now shipping shows as $23.xx for...wait for it...UPS ground! WTF!?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Wolf_ wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Also, I wonder if all the people who said the Super NT would definitely add more cores have sworn off Analogue forever or are thinking about buying this anyway...
Nope. I won't be buying any Analogue products until the Super Nt or Mega Sg get every core on the Nt Mini. Even then I still wouldn't buy the Mega Sg until it gets a 32x core or I would still need my Genesis in my setup and space is tight enough without having multiples of the same console. I might pick up the MiSTer instead if they add lagless hdmi support and I can buy them premade somewhere because I have 0 interest in soldering together my own console like I'm trying to make a Thanos killing axe in the heart of a dying star. I just want to play games on one console with no lag, sd card loading, and original controller support.
Man, I'd be happy with just either the Super NT or the Mega Sg getting the cores that the NT Mini has, so that I don't have to feel sad about not having bought a $500 machine that now can only be had for $1200+ on ebay.

And of course them also finally releasing that promised analogue output adapter.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I just bought a Super NT, paid for UK shipping.

Shipping was $50, putting total to $239.99.

When I got a card through the post box today I was surprised. Instead of getting an exciting FPGA console I got an import tax card. The HMRC thought I'd like that instead, it was £40.

Back on topic.

I want the Megadrive version since I have tons of carts.

There are some concerns I have with the Megadrive version though. Namely the region lock, resolution thing that some of the games do.

Example - PAL Streets of rage 2 has a PAL resolution screen when booted, which can be bypassed apparently.

What happens when you force 60hz on a PAL game? On real hardware you get glitches on quite a few games. I have bought the Genesis versions of most of these games that contain glitches in the PAL version.

Say I bought Alien Soldier on PAL and forced 60hz, would it run? Not that I am going to buy that expensive game.

Then there are some games that are cheaper on PAL that I wouldn't buy due not having a region free machine with real hardware. But with the FPGA megadrive I technically could buy them and play them at 60hz on a HDMI setup.

I think i'm right, feel free to put me wrong.

Thanks,

Richie.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
copy

Post by copy »

These are shipping now and reviews are popping up. I should be getting mine Wednesday.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Most European orders arrived today. Plays like a charm. One tiny bug regarding 720p scanlines, but nothing that can't be easily fixed.