Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BrianC

Re: Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis)

Post by BrianC »

It seems Final Fight CD and Sonic CD both freeze in 4.7 and 7.7. Not sure if anything else was broken. I'm also under the impression that it may have corrupted the RAM on the Mega Everdrive V2, forcing me to reformat with the sega cd connected to the HDG model 1 Genesis.
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

I’m glad I held off updating, it’s a real pain having to redo all the settings for all the cores and rolling back due to bugs. I’m going to wait a couple weeks after each release now to see what bugs emerge, there is still a super NT bug with the latest JB FW that won’t load video settings properly and that was 3 months ago. I do feel that Analogue is rushing new products to market and they are over stretching their support for existing ones. Hopefully some fixes come out for both systems soon.

On the Mega SG front, I hope they fix the Sega CD bugs in time for the cart adapter release.
Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

After numerous attempts to get scanlines looking right on a Mega SG I set the thing to 720P on a Samsung 4k in game mode and I am blown away by how good it looks. I have numerous Megadrive consoles (I collect a lot of stuff) and it is as good as an OSSC transcoding RBG from any one of them.

Also on the Colecovision core the picture is as good as the scanlines setting on a VGA (F18-A modded) original machine.

What I think is happening is the resolution is being too fussy and since surely it should be every other line is a scanline as someone mentioned earlier and not some fancy algorithm.

I have yet to set up the Master System and GG up but after a week of gnashing my teeth I am really impressed with the Analogue hardware.

If anyone wants the resolution settings I will post them here.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Sparkoids wrote:After numerous attempts to get scanlines looking right on a Mega SG I set the thing to 720P on a Samsung 4k in game mode and I am blown away by how good it looks. I have numerous Megadrive consoles (I collect a lot of stuff) and it is as good as an OSSC transcoding RBG from any one of them.
Makes sense as 4k= 3x 720p. If the Mega SG uses 2x1 game to blank lines for its 720p scanline mode (exactly how proper 240p +scanlines HAVE to be done on 720p), then what you end up with is exactly a 3x integer scaled, proper scanlined, image.

Can you post any good pictures?
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Hopefully some day Kevtris will add Fullscreen Line 5x (1200p) support to both Super NT and Mega SG.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Necro bump to share that Analogue supposedly claims that "all known bugs are fixed" now https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1654144815226064896

https://www.analogue.co/support/mega-sg/firmware/4.9
  • Many accuracy improvements to increase compatibility with the various Sega CD units and 32x.
  • Fixed bus timing issue after certain writes - this affected Virtua Racing in some situations.
  • Fixed RESET instruction's output so reset is only asserted during the instruction.
  • Fixed SMS IRQ Hcount test.
  • Fixed spaces in menus so they are now highlighted.
  • Fixed turning off auto region detection resulting in games not restarting after a reset.
  • Fixed Cheat codes and controller passthrough so they work if C button is used instead of B button to back out of menus.
  • Fixed screen tearing on SMS.
  • Fixed CRAM dots on Sonic 3 water areas.
  • Fixed audio in Outrun - SMS PSG/FM enable flags added.
  • Fixed sound corruption in Titan Mega Demo after running Bad Apple (and other conditions).
  • Fixed Tiny Toon Adventures silent audio on title screen.
  • Fixed Metal Blast 2277 music speed issue.
  • Fixed Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon bottom row of glitchy pixels.
  • Fixed Desert Strike SMS crash on pause.
  • Fixed Demons of Asteborg cartridge issue.
  • Added support for Columbus Circle games (16 Bit Rhythm Land, etc).
  • Added support for XE-1AP analog controller.
Highly doubtful this fixes everything, since I've heard pretty poor reception for the Mega Sg overall. Surprised they gave us anything though, unless development funnels into porting the cores to the Pocket.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Fixing the screen tearing in MS games is huge for me (and I’ve confirmed it is indeed fixed this morn) and I’m very pleased. Hopefully my trusty old MS1 with its jailbars and wonky sync can finally be retired.

But it took way too long. 4 years for a product marketed as 100% accurate is pathetic.
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

Good to see the MS screen tearing has been fixed. Hopefully the audio glitches are too. Need to wait for the jailbreak version before I try it.