Scored two new sets for possible rgb mod! Seeking advice...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
reldvs1

Scored two new sets for possible rgb mod! Seeking advice...

Post by reldvs1 »

JVC AV36D502
And
SONY KV-24FV300

I've read great things about them both. JVC was said to have great tvl lines and shadow masking. Admittedly I know not much on this subject but am learning quickly lol....I do know getting this was good. ...I think

I've read this particular JVC may be an easy RGB mod. But i can't find an rgb mod of this exact model set. So, if someone can weigh in, I'd be grateful.

I've also read this particular Sony may be a great find because of the chassis? On kv-24fv300 and maybe the 20 of same fv300 series, You can make an adjustment in service menu for a couple things vital to successful retro gaming. Is this Sony also worth considering an RGB mod? I think this was also a good find. ...see last line below

Both have component already....not hdmi...JVC is curve, of course Sony was flat lol
So can anyone help me out with some expert advice?
I'll be testing them out more thoroughly, beyond the basics of quick run though, tomorrow most likely.
Thanks!

Ps , not trying to boast, but JVC was free and that loaded it.
Sony , different person, they delivered to me for 20! Woooooo!
:D
energizerfellow‌

Re: Scored two new sets for possible rgb mod! Seeking advice

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

Since you already have YPbPr component that can do 4:4:4 color and is functionally equivalent to RGBs, why would you want to RGB mod it? Get a Shinybow SCART-RGB or Retrotek SCBV1P3 and call it good if you need RGB over SCART.
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

energizerfellow‌ wrote:Since you already have YPbPr component that can do 4:4:4 color and is functionally equivalent to RGBs, why would you want to RGB mod it? Get a Shinybow SCART-RGB or Retrotek SCBV1P3 and call it good if you need RGB over SCART.
You make a great point. Thanks!

I'll need to Google those brands you mentioned and learn more about them tomorrow. As well as the 4:4:4 color. I'm very new to this. But I have been reading A LOT! Trying to soak it all in lol. Like a sponge lol.

But are you basically saying that the gains from an RGB mod, would be so minor that it's better to leave both stock and use external converters to handle video signal?
Please, keep in mind I'm on a budget but I know my way around a circuit board lol. So building somethinglike an RGB mod seemed budget friendly for me. But I all need to read up on those things you mentioned in your message.

Thanks again for the reply and all the help. TTYL heading to bed soon. Zzzz
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

YPbPr component is functionally equivalent to RGBs for what you're doing. Every 6th and 7th generation console had native component video output except the Dreamcast and DS, so you won't need anything else if you aren't looking at anything older. Original OEM component cables will be the best quality one s out there, so look for the correct logos on the AV cables. Then get a Shinybow SB-5470 switch and call it good (those cheap mechanical switches work in a pinch, but you get what you pay for...). There's also the HD Retrovision YPbPr component converter cables on pre-6th gen consoles, which are very high quality and probably the best route for 1-2 older consoles.

S-Video is the real step-up from CVBS composite and frankly not that far from component, so it's a good option. Sadly, 99% of third party S-video console AV cables are flaming hot garbage, so get an original official OEM S-Video cable if at all possible (Monster Cable, amusingly, seems to be the only real exception here). Look into the Shinybow SB-5450 for a nice S-Video switch.

There's RGB land with SCART cables from Retro Gaming Cables, Retro Access, or Insurrection Industries, plus a Shinybow SB-5525 switch and Shinybow SB-2840 converter, but I'm guessing cost will be an issue. If there's options of a sync on luma or a sync stripper circuit for a SCART cable instead of the usual CVBS composite on a given console, go for the sync on luma.

My Life in Gaming's RGB Video Master Class is required viewing if you want to go into the weeds.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

RGB and component can have slight differences depending on your tv. The component signal is subject to processing (tint, sharpness, etc) by your TV wheras RGB modding bypasses most if not all of the processing. here's an example of a sharp tv I modded a while ago.

RGB
https://i.imgur.com/23xiLEQ.jpg

Component
https://i.imgur.com/69F0pZa.jpg
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

ANOTHER GREAT RESPONSE! ....thanks
And. ....
Well believe it or not. I somehow already have Shinybow SB-5470 .....I bought it about 8 years ago. But got in a car wreck that was real serious and stuff was put into storage and it wasn't until here recently. When my gaming interests...now referred to as retro gaming, were once again awoken. Start to dig through some stored stuff and WOW! So I have the two sets I mentioned already and I'm considering the kd-34xbr960 because I've heard great things but unless I get some real reason to get it. That thing does weigh a bit much.
What are your thoughts on that set?
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

cyborc wrote:RGB and component can have slight differences depending on your tv. The component signal is subject to processing (tint, sharpness, etc) by your TV wheras RGB modding bypasses most if not all of the processing. here's an example of a sharp tv I modded a while ago.

RGB
https://i.imgur.com/23xiLEQ.jpg

Component
https://i.imgur.com/69F0pZa.jpg
Thanks for sharing that. Maybe I should stick with component at first because, yes, I do notice differences. To me and my poor eyes on this phone screen. I'm very hard pressed to say either is better. Just different.
Congrats on the mod btw....always lIke to see creative hacks like this.
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

energizerfellow‌ wrote:
S-Video is the real step-up from CVBS composite and frankly not that far from component, so it's a good option. Sadly, 99% of third party S-video console AV cables are flaming hot garbage, so get an original official OEM S-Video cable if at all possible (Monster Cable, amusingly, seems to be the only real exception here)..
Oh and I've also just located the upgraded video cables. ....I forgot I had most of this. It's like Christmas!
Monster ps2 blue S cable
Monster original Xbox component
Wii component
Several ps2 component

I don't think I'll need to buy anything at all!
Or mod anything!.....