shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:42 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - accepting participants
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:12 am 

Ichinisan wrote:
I will be in Thailand a couple weeks longer. Hopefully this coronavirus outbreak will decline in the meantime. My twin brother is still home, watching for the HS2 test units to arrive. Nothing new from Marshall / RetroActive but I'll post when I hear anything.

Please stay safe, dude! That's most important.

Hoping the HS2 test units aren't far away. If the production resumed on February 2nd then I imagine they're close!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:48 am 

Thanks for the update, and stay safe :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:39 pm 

Please tell me you guys are still accepting orders, and if so, how to join. Signed up here only after learning of this thread today (been searching how to get UltraHDMI for n64 past week). Possible?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:21 am 

I want to order a kit .. is the price still the same? and do you accept separate payments over time? like if i pay full for the kit and pay later for installation fees and mini hdmi at a later day before you submit the order..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:28 pm 

Sorry on the last post.

Are there any plans to being able to adapt the RGB output bore to V1 hardware?

I’d imagine the code is fairly similar in V2.

Even if there is some fine soldering required since there isent a ribbon connector, it should be a simple mod to do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:39 am 

Icelvlan wrote:
Sorry on the last post.

Are there any plans to being able to adapt the RGB output bore to V1 hardware?

I’d imagine the code is fairly similar in V2.

Even if there is some fine soldering required since there isent a ribbon connector, it should be a simple mod to do.

I suspect the PCB components are basically the same other than the layout and the added connector, so it may be possible to hack a RetroActive DAC module onto an UltraHDMI HW1. That said, I don't know if the old board gives you access to all the traces you'd need to connect the DAC (there are probably some inaccessible pins underneath the FPGA chip). Also there are some one-time-programmable identifiers that would prevent an HW1 board from running the HW2 firmware.

It's probably more trouble than it's worth to hack-in the RetroActive DAC. The better option is to swap the resistor array near the UltraHDMI's flat cable connection with 0-ohm resistors (jumpers) and use Borti's modified flat cable (which has the resistors on the cable). That would allow Borti's N64 Advanced RGB mod to coexist with UltraHDMI HW1. Still, it's risky to start desoldering tiny components from an UltraHDMI board.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:32 am 

This is what I thought. Would be cool if Marshall thought of a cool solution.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:37 am 

Icelvlan wrote:
This is what I thought. Would be cool if Marshall thought of a cool solution.

Like a trade-in program? :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:50 am 

Just out of curiosity, does the installation include replacing the capacitors? If not, is that something you'd be willing to do for a little extra? Thanks!

EDIT: He got back via e-mail and does this for $10 which is awesome. Thanks for the quick response!

Last edited by Termina on Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:55 am 

I emailed a request to be added to the list.
Thanks for the potential opportunity to own a kit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:22 pm 

Sent a email, lmk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:43 am 

Hey, everyone. I just tweaked the OP extensively since it was missing a lot of the info specific to round 7.

I tried to list all the order / production status updates at the end:

2019-11-04
Marshall made a small test batch of HW2 units back in September. He allowed me to purchase his remaining kits from that batch. Marshall said many of them will be dead-on-arrival. I believe PCB failures are expected because the factory in China does not perform a robotic test of each point on the PCB for a small production run such as this. I always test each unit, so I will identify DOA boards and RetroActive will compensate with replacements from a future production run. I should receive quite a bit more units than I previously implied, but I want to temper expectations until I know how many are DOA. I do expect to receive several dozen kits. Once I receive them, I will perform installs on various systems and provide feedback to Marshall before he does a full production run.

[update]
After I purchased the remaining units from Marshall's test production in September, he ordered some DAC modules to include. There were some delays as they were stuck in customs, but now he has them and he's waiting for the flex PCBs (carries analog signals from DAC module to N64's AV multi-out connector).

2019-12-31
In addition to the units made in September, Marshall also contacted me just hours before my December 31 flight and allowed me to purchase 150 more units. With such a limited quantity, it seems like he's doing another very small test batch and isn't ready to do a full production batch quite yet.

JANUARY 2020
While in Thailand, I had a chat with Marshall. He said production around this time of year is always be delayed due to Chinese / lunar new year celebration but he expects that production will start in early February.

LATE FEBRUARY 2020
I'm back from my international trip after 1.5 months in Thailand + Malaysia and getting settled at home. There are a lot of packages to go through. I chatted with Marshall a few nights ago. He's still waiting for flex cables to go with the "test" kits from September. Factories that are currently running only offer limited services at the moment. PCBWay is only doing 2-sided PCBs and no assembly at all. They should be able to start producing the flex PCBs soon and I should receive the September test units soon after. For the 150 additional units purchased December 31, the virus outbreak in China will definitely delay production. I don't think anyone can really guess how long. Marshall said the factory has a third-party handling their email and their estimates seem too optimistic based on what he hears from business contacts in China. He shared the most recent email from the factory regarding PCB production and PCB assembly:

Quote:
Hi , Marshall:
The PCB department of the factory has started to work, but now the delivery date will be a little slower than before.
The PCBA department is expected to work next week

Marshall also said this about an upcoming firmware feature:
Quote:
when you left i was playing around with a way to reverse VI filtering on some games. that unfortunately did not end up being feasible
so i am adding hard interpolation to sharp pixel mode (where it looks sharp but still filters to prevent stairstepping)

Last edited by Ichinisan on Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:49 am 

I'm behind on emails and messages (especially Reddit), but I will try to catch up tonight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:44 am 

It looks like the virus outbreak will really slow production, which is a shame. This definitely has to be the longest wait for a round yet! Seems like there's not much we can do, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:32 pm 

I sent a PM to Ichinisan a quite a while ago and no response.

So I will ask here -

If I send my N64 to Ichinisan what are the installation costs?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:17 pm 

neorichieb1971 wrote:
I sent a PM to Ichinisan a quite a while ago and no response.

So I will ask here -

If I send my N64 to Ichinisan what are the installation costs?

There's a Pricing section in the first post of this thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:27 pm 

Ichinisan wrote:
I'm behind on emails and messages (especially Reddit), but I will try to catch up tonight.

No worries, stay safe! Thank you for all the work you are doing for this group buy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:09 pm 

Hello,
i am awaiting like others my N64.. Have you any news ?

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10