UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ZethRyder

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

Post by ZethRyder »

If you two are going to argue, could you take it to the DMs so the rest of us don't have to scroll through giant walls of text. Would be much appreciated.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

I just got contacted by Ichinisan and had a tracking number shortly afterwards.

Not really here to comment on the delays one way or the other, just wanted to show people they are at least making more progress through the list.
alucard971

Post by alucard971 »

So anyways, in actual N64 news... heads up for those with N64 digitals: a couple of problems have come up with the builds. Voultar reports a "shimmering" affect through analog. However, he said it was somehow fixed in the latest test firmware.

Initial post: https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1411 ... 35652?s=20
Last post: https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1412 ... 65861?s=20

Also, some interference has come up with PAL consoles. The problem is being researched but hard to reproduce. You can see it in the initial post from Voultar.

Make sure to test your modded system thoroughly in case it needs adjustments. Installers may have to make changes to your console to make sure it behaves correctly such as tethering it to the motherboard.
StrikerTek

Post by StrikerTek »

Received my N64Digital kit yesterday from Ichinisan. I'm #74 on the list FWIW
devsfan1830

Post by devsfan1830 »

Oh look, new serials allocated up to line 175 over the weekend. Even a few shipped (114-116). They're making painfully slow progress but its progress nonetheless. I have little stake in this drama. I am line 191 but I already self sourced a first batch N64Digital (Which I have yet yet to install as my entire basement is packed up for reorganization. That and I ROYALLY botched painting my N64 shell...) Given that I paid over a year ago for one I have considered this money gone. Shit, I did that the SECOND I paid it. A group buy is NEVER a guarantee. The same way a kickstarter or indiegogo isn't. Its an investment in a product. Investments can and WILL backfire. So now I just check on here every now and again out of curiosity. If they allow me a refund great. If not because the money already paid for the board, that's fine too. Given the option id gladly donate the cash to them after the hell they went through and continue to go through. I'd love to see how ANYONE would fare trying to test and ship what, 400-ish boards as WELL as order and receive any new boards from a monumentally unreliable source WITHOUT A GODDAMN HOUSE OR ADDRESS while trying to pickup the pieces of their real lives.
(edited last comment out - admin)
hushed

Post by hushed »

I just got my console, #39 today, delivered to my door. The N64Digital is amazing!
bbsan2k

Post by bbsan2k »

#110 - N64Digital shipped!
So excited!!!
sanfordseven

Post by sanfordseven »

JT, I’m gonna be visiting some family close to Newnan. Can I just stop by to pick up our order, and also drop off a system for an install of an N64Digital. If so, is the address for We Still Play LLC the correct location? Thanks!
system11

Post by system11 »

ZethRyder wrote:If you two are going to argue, could you take it to the DMs so the rest of us don't have to scroll through giant walls of text. Would be much appreciated.
Pretty much this, cut it with the trolling and spam, if you really want to argue please follow the above advice. I've left the initial post and initial response up, I think that covers any worthwhile information from the bickering.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Received my HW2 Kit + DAC today.
system11

Post by system11 »

Ok next person to continue the bickering aspect gets a 2 week ban.
Cooperd9

Post by Cooperd9 »

It depends on whether you get the DAC or not, all n64 digitals can output rgb or component but you need to spend an extra $30 to get that on the ultrahdmi v2. If I remember correctly, n64 digitals were $185 and ultraHDMI were $145 + $30 for a DAC so you needed $175 to get near feature parity with the n64digital which has wifi updates as an option and much better communication and firmware support
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Cooperd9 wrote:It depends on whether you get the DAC or not, all n64 digitals can output rgb or component but you need to spend an extra $30 to get that on the ultrahdmi v2. If I remember correctly, n64 digitals were $185 and ultraHDMI were $145 + $30 for a DAC so you needed $175 to get near feature parity with the n64digital which has wifi updates as an option and much better communication and firmware support

N64Ds were sold at 175.
Dizzny

Post by Dizzny »

It could be worse. You could be the next guy in line that didn't get a serial number this round!! Ha Ha Ha....... oh wait.... that's me! Dammit
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

I started drafting this post over a week ago but I keep falling further and further behind so I may as well post what I've got.
flipsideaut wrote:Im still waiting on my UltraHDMI(i have a PAL board), but what i saw shouldn't it be also connected to Pin16 (and Pin27)?
Pin 16 is Pad 1 data. Pin 27 is Reset. You can also solder directly to a leg of the Reset button, which is how I typically did it with UltraHDMI HW1: Dupont connector to a header pin I would install on the UltraHDMI. Now that it's on the HW2 flex and N64Digital I go straight to pin 27.
Guspaz wrote:The laws don't care if the vendor intends to eventually refund you some day in the distant future.
Again, we aren't the vendor except for unrelated mod services. This is a group buy. The vendor, RetroActive, has delivered for the majority of those requesting refunds... and never accepted money from the rest. At that point they are entitled to their delivered kit. Offering the option of a refund or transition to N64Digital anyway was intended to be a goodwill gesture that many here failed to understand or appreciate, ramping up the rhetoric because they now believe we are a business selling undelivered product that owes them a refund.

Part of the reason people keep talking about Marshall/RetroActive with such vitriol for how he "treated people" is because they believe he organized the group buy and had the money while stringing people along without delivering all this time when he absoluteoly did not. The purpose of the group buy was to put money on the table and motivate him to produce, which has worked many times... ironically, even this time since he finally shipped days before N64Digital was announced.

Contrary to what people assume, 2/3rds of the kits were bought and delivered by RetroActive and PixelFX in a timely-enough manner. Most were bought in December, shipped in January, and received in March. N64Digital obviously had to wait until it launched at the end of June and the rest of the UltraHDMI kits that were already delivered were waiting on cables from Korea that arrived while we were still distributing the first 230. The issue since then was that distribution from the middlemen (us) was nearly stopped from a natural disaster. We simply weren't able to continue while tetering on the edge of homelessness and struggling in the aftermath of a direct hit from the strongest part of the strongest tornado on record anywhere this year. That is not hyperbole. This last month has been the worst by far. Despite losing very little in the initial hit we are losing nearly everything of value that we own... and then some (anyone need some unused Vetsulin?). :( Now the landlord is selling and we seriously have no place to go. Though we began again in earnest after solving a transportation issue and getting the N64Digitals, it doesn't mean we are back on our feet. Far from it.

Yesterday's local headline was "FEMA Denies Assistance" (seems I heard the same thing weeks ago) with the previous headline being "Alan Jackson Benefit Concert: Huge Success." The question now is: How do we sign up as a beneficiary? My boss saw me carrying my scooter through the store today and offered me some paperwork for corporate to approve an emergency advance. I literally don't even have the time to fill it out since all I do is go straight to the workshop and stay up late every night. If I had time for that I would look into my tax returns that I didn't get (records missing after tornado).
uberpolka wrote:The flex cable is two sided, with the connection for the controller and reset on one side, as it connects up to the rest of the flex cable, it then runs through a via to the otherside of the flex.

That wasn't happening in this specific flex cable. I'm not sure why or how production would miss that somehow, but I am positive there is no visible damage in the little bit of trace between pin 27 and the main portion of the flex cable.

I ended up soldering a wire from pin 27 to the otherside of the flex, where there is a test pad and IGR works as it should now.
Yes, I have encountered this before and those test pads come in handy. I helped one of you guys with that sometime last month but can't remember who. I actually had the same problem with an N64Digital last week and had to bypass to the connector.

Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAgAAITK50
...actually, more than two were bad. The unused/future use connections were not continuous either. Take-away: If you only get a black screen, try holding the Reset button at boot. If you suddenly get video with N64Digital, check your RC connection.

Bypass:
https://i.imgur.com/LGI8Ygb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/a1nbxMQ.jpg

...I left that wire longer than it needed to be so that the flex can by bypassed entirely if need be without having to redo my connection to the N64Digital. I didn't do that here so that I could use the component that was already installed on the flex PCB.

Dan expressed the same sentement about production since they are supposed to be "eTested" but I suspect the vias failed after testing. He said he sent a few extra flexes but I only recall extra PS1Digital flexes in the box, strangely enough. I was confused but my brother suggested that was likely intentional because of something he said to Dan about PS1Digital. Even so, we definitely didn't need PS1Digital flexes but I appreciate it regardless. :) I've actually had 100% success rate on the GPU flex with dozens of PS1Digital installs under my belt and the only flex issues I've had were internal traces breaking when you bend the audio flex (you can see a couple of them on the desoldering station above). OK, well, there were at least two where the factory didn't cut the castellations right (including my very first one: https://imgur.com/a/CnltRV7 ) but that was easy to fix with a needle. I felt that ordering a whole flex sheet including GPU flex just for the audio flex was a waste so I had already made a bypass board out of a breakout board and an FPC cable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAoRkQetI1k

This is very similar to what I did for UltraHDMI HW2 analog flex bypass with an 8P breakout board and FPC cable:
https://imgur.com/a/ighhMD0

...so if you have torn your UltraHDMI HW2 + DAC analog flex, there is your easy (and cheap!) out. As others keep insisting, a good installer needs to be ready and able to deal with such exceptions. Glad I could find a solution that will work for others.

(admin edited)
Last edited by CZroe on Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

CZroe wrote: Dan expressed the same sentement about production since they are supposed to be "eTested" but I suspect the vias failed after testing. He said he sent a few extra flexes but I only recall extra PS1Digital flexes in the box, strangely enough. I was confused but my brother suggested that was likely intentional because of something he said to Dan

In our imessage you said you didn't have PS1flexes for a customer so I included those (I said I would send them). For the N64D - 50 kits I sent 55 N64D cables.
If you need more flex cables just ask we have plenty and would be happy to send.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Any estimates on when n64 digitals will be available for purchase again?
alucard971

Post by alucard971 »

cave hermit wrote:Any estimates on when n64 digitals will be available for purchase again?
PixelFX Twitter just tweeted production has started and next batch is ETA end of August. https://twitter.com/PixelFXco/status/14 ... 34052?s=20
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

alucard971 wrote:So anyways, in actual N64 news... heads up for those with N64 digitals: a couple of problems have come up with the builds. Voultar reports a "shimmering" affect through analog. However, he said it was somehow fixed in the latest test firmware.

Initial post: https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1411 ... 35652?s=20
https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1412 ... 65861?s=20

Also, some interference has come up with PAL consoles. The problem is being researched but hard to reproduce. You can see it in the initial post from Voultar.

Make sure to test your modded system thoroughly in case it needs adjustments. Installers may have to make changes to your console to make sure it behaves correctly such as tethering it to the motherboard.
Though I was noticing sensitivity to proximity/touch on the digital flex, the interference I had notably improved with the same FW update that seemed to solve Voultar's analog issues. The issues were visible on analog and digital with simultaneous output so I believe they have the same root cause. Voultar's was not a PAL console and another PAL console seemed far less sensitive so it may be that some consoles may be more sensitive than others regardless of the region. Regardless, things were perfect when I didn't touch anything after the update so it seemed to be resolved for me.
sanfordseven wrote:JT, I'm gonna be visiting some family close to Newnan. Can I just stop by to pick up our order, and also drop off a system for an install of an N64Digital. If so, is the address for We Still Play LLC the correct location? Thanks!
If you are in line for an N64Digital or managed to obtain one then that is perfect! We'd be happy to have you and bypassing our postal/courier nightmares would be much appreciated. When are you expecting to be in the area? My brother should have shared my phone number with you so text me or something and let me know. I don't know what address he gave you but we began sharing the future LLC's PO box (Postal Parkway) since we can't reliably get mail anywhere else right now. Heck, we've had plenty of issues there too. :(

Since you don't need a mailbox for UPS I tried to get a couple Liberty AV packages delivered to the workshop with the LLC name and one ended up getting redirected to the tornado-damaged house and opened by contractors while the other somehow got sent to CVS Pharmacy. Only way they could've associated the LLC with that house was by my personal phone number. I haven't seen the workshop's landlord for weeks but I plan to ask if I can have packages delivered to the clerk at his convenience store in the same parking lot. That should be a lot safer and we wouldn't have to worry about being there when the delivery arrives.
citrus3000psi wrote:In our imessage you said you didn't have PS1flexes for a customer so I included those (I said I would send them). For the N64D - 50 kits I sent 55 N64D cables.
If you need more flex cables just ask we have plenty and would be happy to send.
Thanks. It looks like he was just talking about a PS1Digital flex that someone else (Nate H.) had already ordered to our address (now received), though he took the opportunity to ask if you had noticed any issues with failed audio flexes and mentioned the bypass I had performed the day the tornado hit (but only recently got to test). Though I had enough breakout boards and FPC cables to do more audio flex bypasses you seemingly volunteered replacements and he said something about that being even better. Thanks! :)

Nate bought a "used" PS1Digital off eBay and asked us to install it... no doubt missing the flexes due to the previous owner's failed install. We advised him that we could install right away with one of our flexes so long as he ordered a replacement and had it sent to us. What we did not expect was that he would ship his kit and console separately and the kit would get lost in the mail for weeks... supposedly signed for by "Oscar" and "delivered" to the PO box in mid June... then somehow getting re-delivered in July (LOLWUT?!).

Of course, the prior "delivery" got erased from the tracking history but I have a screenshot:

So, yeah, after delivery to USPS it somehow went back into the posession of UPS before being re-delivered to USPS. Crazy. We actually finished the install with one of our kits and shipped when we arrived at the post office to pick up his kit that was supposedly "delivered" only to find out that it was not. For weeks we thought we were screwed out of our PS1Digital! Despite the condition it was a huge relief to find this:
Full res: https://i.imgur.com/SYBdTJc.jpg

Yes, it still worked but I had to do an impromptu installation to find out. Such a relief! The prospect of losing more than twice as much as we stood to make from the installation was such a let-down because we really needed the money and no longer had a kit of our own to install/sell if we had to. We always intended to keep an extra as a warranty spare for the installs we have done.

I seemed to have 1:1 digital flexes/kits for N64Digital but I haven't had the chance to total them up again. Obviously, we aren't entitled to extras and the PS1Digital flexes were more than generous enough so if we have an issue we can't deal with then we will gladly buy them like anyone else. :)

Everyone else: I'd like to pay it forward. If you need a PS1Digital GPU flex or a bypass for the audio flex then LMK because I will have a few extras of both. :)
Last edited by CZroe on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

While I composed my post last night, Marshall got back in touch with Ichinisan regarding FW1.09. It is “done” in the sense that he is now testing it but he hasn’t even tested analog yet so that really means it is a release candidate. The update is for both HW1 and HW2. Ichinisan will try it out today while I’m at work.
Last edited by CZroe on Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chriz2600

Post by chriz2600 »

CZroe wrote:I also noticed that they added Z+R+A+B+Start for In-Game Reset (much appreciated!) though it isn’t in the changelog.
It is in the changelog: https://firmware.pixelfx.co/n64digital/ ... gelog.html :wink:
Tip: you can scroll the changelog in the OSD with Dpad-up/down.
strayan

Post by strayan »

CZroe wrote:While I composed my post last night, Marshall got back in touch with Ichinisan regarding FW1.9. It is “done” in the sense that he is now testing it but he hasn’t even tested analog yet so that really means it is a release candidate. The update is for both HW1 and HW2. Ichinisan will try it out today while I’m at work.
Would love to see the change log!
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

strayan wrote:
CZroe wrote:While I composed my post last night, Marshall got back in touch with Ichinisan regarding FW1.9. It is “done” in the sense that he is now testing it but he hasn’t even tested analog yet so that really means it is a release candidate. The update is for both HW1 and HW2. Ichinisan will try it out today while I’m at work.
Curious to know if there are there changes outside of DAC related stuff.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

chriz2600 wrote:
CZroe wrote:I also noticed that they added Z+R+A+B+Start for In-Game Reset (much appreciated!) though it isn’t in the changelog.
It is in the changelog: https://firmware.pixelfx.co/n64digital/ ... gelog.html :wink:
Tip: you can scroll the changelog in the OSD with Dpad-up/down.
Awesome! Thanks. I recall looking through it for anything that might affect the issue I was having and never saw that. When my brother tried the hotkeys again and realized it suddenly worked, I was sure that I did not see it. Guess I failed to scroll!
strayan wrote:
I don't see one just yet but there is a new zero-latency mode. I'm hoping we get some kind of OSD on analog because he has had a rudimentary on-screen indicator for cycling through Deblur settings and I wonder if that could be taken to the next level ala OSSC's eventual OSD.

Oh yeah: The version is actually 1.09 and not 1.9. Sorry... it was late! ;)
djc5166 wrote:
strayan wrote:
Curious to know if there are there changes outside of DAC related stuff.
Yes. Zero-latency mode also works on HW1.
skitals wrote:Back on topic: excellent news the spreadsheet had a substantial update and serial numbers have been assigned all the way to line #249!

That is ~400 UltraHDMIs in-hand and accounted for, a number that dwarfs all 6 previous group buys combined. The non-vocal minority continues to patiently wait with well-wishes for a continued disaster recovery.
Thank you so much. We realize this has been hard on everyone. We were so excited when we got the tracking number in January and couldn't wait to get them out to all you guys. I never could have imagined that the troubles were only just beginning so it's great to finally be moving again.

I still don't like the pace of installs but they are throttled by how fast my bro can get consoles from you guys. I only did two UltraHDMI's and an UltrPIF today. I also did an N64Digital and two UltraHDMI HW2 + DACs yesterday with another UltraPIF while my brother packed and shipped a ton of kits for DIY folks. It's 2AM and he doesn't have another console ready for me yet but I'm still at the workshop and hope to get more done before going to work in the morning.
devsfan1830 wrote:
blk00civicsi wrote:Lethal - I think most of the members here can agree that you ultimately need to go away. I’ve lurked here for far too long and your infantile attitude has finally gotten me to register (so thanks for that). I’m going to extend an olive branch to buy you out of your place in line and allow for you to walk away with only your time and energy wasted. That will allow for you to find another outlet to express this energy into. I don’t need a second HW2, but if it eases the tension you’re bringing in here on everyone else,
I’ll fall on that sword.

What do you say? Want to continue to attempt to stir the pot and risk removal from the boards altogether?

Given how your replies have been, my initial assumption is that you’ll continue to pitch a hissy fit until they finally reach you in line. But, the offer stands, You want out? I’ll take your place and you can move on with life.
Man at this point I'm not certain he even HAS a place in line. Even if he does I'm sure he will still continue to stir shit here by falsely claiming he didn't get his because he is clearly more entertained by trolling. Man the best thing for him is to ban him from the forums and purge him from the spreadsheet. Refund optional. Let him cry himself to sleep.
I don't think he has shared his alias yet but banning him would mean we don't get to see him change his tune! If he had just talked to me as I invited him to do before he dug in his heels then I am certain he would be more understanding.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

dryja123 wrote: and then a series of unfortunate events happened in their personal lives.
This is the understatement of the century.
hawaplop

Post by hawaplop »

Hi,
I am #231 on the list, and wish to have the kits delivered, not money refunded.
Thank you, sir.
darkghost

Post by darkghost »

Good job Turner bros on doing what you can. Sounds like, at the least, things aren't getting worse for you anymore. Hope things go in your favor here on out.
Joearmy96

Post by Joearmy96 »

I’m not sure why I haven’t heard a response from you about my Ultra HDMI Kit I preordered at the beginning of the year. I already paid please contact me as soon as possible. It is now nearly August and no replies on email. Also I hope you’re situation gets better but please respond to email.

Thanks for your time
Last edited by Joearmy96 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glassboy

Post by Glassboy »

What is the PO Box I should send my system to? I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere in the thread. My old email was an address for your house but you mentioned it would be best to send to the PO Box. I have a s/n assigned to my name so I assume you guys just need the system. Really sorry to hear about the death of your pooch. That shit blows and probably feels even harder after everything you guys have already gone through. My condolences and thanks for your hard work.
system11

Post by system11 »

Well that's 3x 2 week bans so far for some users. I also deleted a lot of posts.