UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ichinisan

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 6 accepting participants

Post by Ichinisan »

ROUND 6 UPDATE:

Marshall (RetroActive) finally gave me the "go-ahead" to place our round 6 order earlier today. He said he'll do a small run before he switches to a new manufacturing partner. I asked if I could order 100 kits (a bunch for myself!), but he said it would be too many for the small run he's planning. He allowed me to buy 70 kits for the group-buy.

Marshall typically orders more than he needs from the factory so there's a small buffer. Programming and testing always identifies some defective boards. For a little while, it seemed like there might be enough left over from the current batch after Marshall completed large orders for Game-Tech.US, the round 5 group-buy, and some others. That didn't work out because the current batch had more bad boards than usual. Round 6 will be from the next batch -- which is what I originally expected anyway. Hoping this small upcoming batch is a quick one!
Ichinisan

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 6 - ordered 70 UltraHDMI kits

Post by Ichinisan »

Round 5 kits arrived today! I tested all 40 kits and found one of them doesn't work. It looks like the solder on the mini-HDMI connector simply needs to be reflowed with some flux, so we'll give that a shot as soon as CZroe gets home from work tonight.

I've got 8 N64s disassembled by the work bench, but we can probably finish 10+ tonight :)

I don't trust the after-hours drop box at the post office. When shipping packages for round 4, tracking for packages I took to the counter in the morning showed tracking / movement immediately -- but packages I placed in the drop the night before took several days to even show USPS possession. This exact scenario has happened a few other times I can recall over the last year and a half, so I think it's best to finish as many as we can and take them to the counter when the post office opens Monday morning. I've also noticed the drop box often locks shut after I put a couple boxes in there.

[edit]

CZroe was able to fix the bad kit when he came home from work late last night, so now it works perfectly. We're getting a bunch of systems done and packaging a bunch of kits before the post office opens tomorrow. Gonna be a busy night!

This is what it looked like before:
https://i.imgur.com/7OMyu2G.jpg
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

ROUND 5 UPDATE

The kits arrived Saturday 3/16. I tested each kit on video and ran the self-test diagnostic, except one kit wouldn't show a picture at all. There was a visible solder bridge on pins behind the mini HDMI connector. CZroe got home from work late Saturday night and unbridged the short, saving that kit. On Sunday CZroe completed the soldering on 16 consoles, then a couple more today (Monday). The consoles still await having notches cut (or 3D-printing of the "no-cut" pieces). For those who ordered kit-only, I tried to get those shipped first. After several PayPal transactions to purchase postage, my bank decided it was unusual / suspicious activity and disabled my debit card. That took a while to resolve. I raced to the post office near the Atlanta airport to get there just before it would close at midnight. Shipped 8 kits for 5 participants. Hope to get everything else finished and sent before Tuesday is done!
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

ROUND 5

Sorry I haven't been productive today. I have a major stomach illness (probably norovirus, you don't want to know the details). Most of the N64 systems simply need to be packed and I've purchased the postage for most of them. In my current state I'm just going to screw up something. Still hoping to get a few N64s shipped out tonight when CZroe gets back from work (once again, by driving to the Atlanta airport post office before it closes at midnight).

I usually spend a lot of time on the packing and presentation (protecting the flat cable, properly sealing anti-static bags and making a notch to tear open, appropriate size boxes, generous padding, etc). I didn't get to do that for the packages that have gone out so far.

I haven't applied the "UltraHDMI" sticker to any of these consoles because I don't want to handle them more while I'm probably contagious. For USA systems, there is a smooth area in line with the serial number sticker. That's where a Japanese or PAL system would have a serial number label, and it's where you should place your UltraHDMI sticker: Like this:
Austin

Post by Austin »

Just wanted to say I received my system on Thursday. Big improvement over the s-video I was stuck with. Thanks guys!
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I haven’t shipped mine yet. I will be sure to tommorrow.
Copyright 1987
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Hoagtech wrote:I haven’t shipped mine yet. I will be sure to tommorrow.
Cool. I will watch for it to arrive. I have an UltraHDMI kit here with your name on it :)

I'm also still expecting to receive an N64 from ttahmouch (Reddit member).
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Austin wrote:Just wanted to say I received my system on Thursday. Big improvement over the s-video I was stuck with. Thanks guys!
Great!

There are a lot of people who have contacted me about joining the next round, so I will announce round 7 soon and respond to everyone.
Ichinisan

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - accepting participants

Post by Ichinisan »

Now accepting round 7 participants!

DETAILS FOR ROUND 7:

We set a target of 40 kits with the previous round, but the orders grew to 70 while I waited for the "go ahead" from Marshall to order the kits. This time, I've set a goal of 70 units. This round is already starting out with an order of 25 units from dkscer. I also need to respond to several people who tried to contact me over the last two weeks while I've been busy wrapping-up round 5. This round will be off to a fast start! Growing participation is great! I believe Marshall H (RetroActive) prefers to ship larger orders so he doesn't need to pack/ship as many packages (probably why it has been difficult for most people to reach him and submit smaller orders). The goal of the group-buy is to help satisfy UltraHDMI demand more quickly and allow participants to basically get the kit at wholesale cost. Participants can also get a discounted install service and other extras.

Working as a team, my twin brother (CZroe) and I have performed 200+ UltraHDMI installs and many Hi-Def NES installs. N64 fans are still desperate for UltraHDMI and frustrated because there hasn't been an easy way to get in line for one.

I don’t want to exclude anyone. If you're part of a local retro gaming group on Facebook or another forum, let them know about the group-buy. In a chat with UltraHDMI creator Marshall H, he told me: "Turn time is 5 weeks." I'd expect closer to 7 weeks if we consider all the shipping around. Round 5 took 12 weeks; the longest round yet. I believe Marshall H has been working on a revised UltraHDMI design, so that could be part of the reason. I’ll pass along any updates I get from Marshall H / RetroActive after our order is submitted. Until the order is sent to RetroActive, participants can back out and I will refund ASAP.
  • $130.00 UltraHDMI kit (required to participate)
  • $50.00 install service + extras
  • $5.00 mini-HDMI cable
If you are confident in your tools and precision soldering ability, buy the kit and install yourself. I can install for $50 and toss in some extras.
If you mess up your self-install: Another flat cable is $10. CZroe has successfully restored a few failed installation attempts that were sent to him, so there's a good chance he could save a failed install attempt for you.

USA shipping:

$10 UltraHDMI kit
$20 upgraded console

I ship from Newnan, GA 30263 (United States). For combined shipping or shipping outside USA, I will contact you before kits are ordered to work out the cost of shipping.

Combined shipping for multiple units:
I typically purchase insurance and require signature confirmation, so I will have to calculate the cost for combined shipments.

For shipping outside USA:

I will contact you before kits are ordered to work out the cost of shipping.
I can also try to obtain a North American NTSC N64 locally to pass on at-cost so it will not be necessary to ship a console internationally both ways.

Extras included with install service:
  1. 3D-printed cartridge tray for NTSC systems: Allows North American N64 to fit and play Japanese games with 100% compatibility, or vice-versa. Your original unmodified cartridge tray will also be returned.
  2. Custom power LED color: Choose color-changing, green, blue, yellow, white, or original red.
Each UltraHDMI kit will be tested when I receive them. Each N64 system will be tested as I receive it. Each upgraded system will be tested again before packing and shipping. The latest UltraHDMI firmware will be installed (currently 1.08). If you order a kit with no install, your order will be shipped as soon as I receive and test them. If you’re getting install service, I’ll prioritize and process the list of participants in order based on when I received payment of at least $130 for the kit. For installs, send only the console. I don’t need the controller, power supply, or anything else. I'll have some of the N64 systems prepped and ready for installation so I can begin installs as soon as the kits arrive.

I am confident we can install / test / pack / ship 5 systems per day.

I’ll keep a public list of participants here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =293186896
(select "ROUND 7" tab at the bottom)

To participate:
  • Email
    Image.
  • Tell me which name / alias you prefer to use
    It will be visible to other participants on the public list.
  • Tell me if you are interested in kit+install or just the kit
    (and how many)
  • Tell me if you want a mini HDMI cable.
    Most people need one. It's $5.
  • Tell me your name, return address, and preferred email address.
  • If you are getting installation, tell me which color you prefer for the power LED
    White, green, blue, yellow, or keep it red.
  • Tell me how you heard about the group-buy.
    Thanks!

I will provide my mobile phone number, street address, email, and payment info.

I will post each status update in this thread.
outatime

Post by outatime »

Hi all, new here as I’ve recently gotten back into retro-gaming. Looking to add myself to Round 7, or whatever the current round is, but I have some questions so I’m waiting for private message functionality. :)
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

ROUND 6 UPDATE:

Marshall responded to me today when I asked for an update on the status of our 3/14 order. He confirmed that he has had the kits for a few days now!

He would still need to program and test them. I'm not sure if the Game-Tech.US order of 100 units will have priority over our 70-unit order, but I'll probably get a shipping confirmation soon either way. Right now I am compiling all the email addresses I have for round 6 participants so I can send this update directly to each of you.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

ROUND 7 UPDATE: Just reached 70 units paid-for a moment ago. I'll submit the order to RetroActive soon after I receive shipping confirmation for the previous round. Marshall has them on-hand now, so I expect to receive shipping confirmation very soon.

Based on some conversations I'm having, we will probably go way over the goal of 70 units.
Dax

Post by Dax »

Ichinisan wrote:Just reached 70 units paid-for a moment ago. I'll submit the order to RetroActive soon after I receive shipping confirmation for the previous round. Marshall has them on-hand now, so I expect to receive shipping confirmation very soon.

Based on some conversations I'm having, we will probably go way over the goal of 70 units.
This round sounds like it'll be a popular one! Super excited to receive our kits. I commend you guys for handling such large orders.
SuperRDH

Post by SuperRDH »

Hello there, i was wondering if someone could help me, where can i make the payment for the ULTRAHDMI, i know they are accepting participants but i am new here and i dont know where to go
SuperRDH

Post by SuperRDH »

Ichinisan wrote:Now accepting round 7 participants!
Hello there, i am new here and i am interested in getting an ULTRAHDMI in my n64. Can you please give me your email so i can contact you
Thank you
DETAILS FOR ROUND 7:

We set a target of 40 kits with the previous round, but the orders grew to 70 while I waited for the "go ahead" from Marshall to order the kits. This time, I've set a goal of 70 units. This round is already starting out with an order of 25 units from dkscer. I also need to respond to several people who tried to contact me over the last two weeks while I've been busy wrapping-up round 5. This round will be off to a fast start! Growing participation is great! I believe Marshall H (RetroActive) prefers to ship larger orders so he doesn't need to pack/ship as many packages (probably why it has been difficult for most people to reach him and submit smaller orders). The goal of the group-buy is to help satisfy UltraHDMI demand more quickly and allow participants to basically get the kit at wholesale cost. Participants can also get a discounted install service and other extras.

Working as a team, my twin brother (CZroe) and I have performed 200+ UltraHDMI installs and many Hi-Def NES installs. N64 fans are still desperate for UltraHDMI and frustrated because there hasn't been an easy way to get in line for one.

I don’t want to exclude anyone. If you're part of a local retro gaming group on Facebook or another forum, let them know about the group-buy. In a chat with UltraHDMI creator Marshall H, he told me: "Turn time is 5 weeks." I'd expect closer to 7 weeks if we consider all the shipping around. Round 5 took 12 weeks; the longest round yet. I believe Marshall H has been working on a revised UltraHDMI design, so that could be part of the reason. I’ll pass along any updates I get from Marshall H / RetroActive after our order is submitted. Until the order is sent to RetroActive, participants can back out and I will refund ASAP.
  • $130.00 UltraHDMI kit (required to participate)
  • $50.00 install service + extras
  • $5.00 mini-HDMI cable
If you are confident in your tools and precision soldering ability, buy the kit and install yourself. I can install for $50 and toss in some extras.
If you mess up your self-install: Another flat cable is $10. CZroe has successfully restored a few failed installation attempts that were sent to him, so there's a good chance he could save a failed install attempt for you.

USA shipping:

$10 UltraHDMI kit
$20 upgraded console

I ship from Newnan, GA 30263 (United States). For combined shipping or shipping outside USA, I will contact you before kits are ordered to work out the cost of shipping.

Combined shipping for multiple units:
I typically purchase insurance and require signature confirmation, so I will have to calculate the cost for combined shipments.

For shipping outside USA:

I will contact you before kits are ordered to work out the cost of shipping.
I can also try to obtain a North American NTSC N64 locally to pass on at-cost so it will not be necessary to ship a console internationally both ways.

Extras included with install service:
  1. 3D-printed cartridge tray for NTSC systems: Allows North American N64 to fit and play Japanese games with 100% compatibility, or vice-versa. Your original unmodified cartridge tray will also be returned.
  2. Custom power LED color: Choose color-changing, green, blue, yellow, white, or original red.
Each UltraHDMI kit will be tested when I receive them. Each N64 system will be tested as I receive it. Each upgraded system will be tested again before packing and shipping. The latest UltraHDMI firmware will be installed (currently 1.08). If you order a kit with no install, your order will be shipped as soon as I receive and test them. If you’re getting install service, I’ll prioritize and process the list of participants in order based on when I received payment of at least $130 for the kit. For installs, send only the console. I don’t need the controller, power supply, or anything else. I'll have some of the N64 systems prepped and ready for installation so I can begin installs as soon as the kits arrive.

I am confident we can install / test / pack / ship 5 systems per day.

I’ll keep a public list of participants here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =293186896
(select "ROUND 7" tab at the bottom)

To participate:
  • Email
    Image.
  • Tell me which name / alias you prefer to use
    It will be visible to other participants on the public list.
  • Tell me if you are interested in kit+install or just the kit
    (and how many)
  • Tell me if you want a mini HDMI cable.
    Most people need one. It's $5.
  • If you are getting installation, tell me which color you prefer for the power LED
    White, green, blue, yellow, or keep it red.
  • Tell me how you heard about the group-buy.
    Thanks!

I will provide my mobile phone number, street address, email, and payment info.

I will post each status update in this thread.
SuperRDH

Post by SuperRDH »

[quote="Ichinisan"]ROUND 7 UPDATE: Just reached 70 units paid-for a moment ago. I'll submit the order to RetroActive soon after I receive shipping confirmation for the previous round. Marshall has them on-hand now, so I expect to receive shipping confirmation very soon.

Based on some conversations I'm having, we will probably go way over the goal of 70 units.[/quot

Hello there, for some reason i cannot see your email
Could you please provide that to me, i would like to get the ULTRAHDMI in my n64
Thank you
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Dax wrote:
Ichinisan wrote:Just reached 70 units paid-for a moment ago. I'll submit the order to RetroActive soon after I receive shipping confirmation for the previous round. Marshall has them on-hand now, so I expect to receive shipping confirmation very soon.

This round sounds like it'll be a popular one! Super excited to receive our kits. I commend you guys for handling such large orders.
Yes. I told Marshall I'm ready to buy 200 kits as soon as the previous order ships. Hopefully that will get the next production batch going ASAP :)

Participation has continued growing and now we're at 102 units paid-for (and I still need to respond to some more inquiries).
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

SuperRDH wrote:Hello there, i was wondering if someone could help me, where can i make the payment for the ULTRAHDMI, i know they are accepting participants but i am new here and i dont know where to go
SuperRDH wrote:Hello there, i am new here and i am interested in getting an ULTRAHDMI in my n64. Can you please give me your email so i can contact you
Thank you
Ichinisan wrote:...

To participate:
  • Email
    Image.
It's an embedded image near the end of the first post -- done that way to discourage email-harvesting spam bots (hopefully). It seems you found the email address before the forum finally started displaying your posts here (there's some kind of delay for new members).
SuperRDH wrote:
Ichinisan wrote:...
Hello there, for some reason i cannot see your email
Could you please provide that to me, i would like to get the ULTRAHDMI in my n64
Thank you
I received your email and your payment of $130 for the kit. You're on the list and you'll be included in the round 7 order!
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

I dunno what happened to the previous batch, I never got on it!?
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Elrinth wrote:I dunno what happened to the previous batch, I never got on it!?
If I receive at least $130 for the kit before I submit the next order to RetroActive, you'll be included in the round 7 order.

Looks like I never gave you a shipping quote for Sweden. Google couldn't figure out your postal code without the space, apparently.

The USPS calculator tells me the most affordable rate would be $37.50 "First-Class Package International" to ship a 3-pound (1.4kg) package to Sweden. I just now added that info to your entry on the public list of participants.

My Shmups account has reached multiple limits for PMs, so it would help if you can send me an email with this info:
  • Email
    Image.
Thanks!
Delloman

Post by Delloman »

I would like to join but every time I try to email you I get a bounce back that it's not a good address cold you possibly email me?
Last edited by Delloman on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Delloman wrote:I would like to join but every time I try to email you I get a bounce back that it's not a good address cold you possibly email me? delloman12@g mail.com
I guess your Shmups post was delayed. We've exchanged a bunch of emails since 6/7 -- and you're on the list!
Delloman

Post by Delloman »

Ya like 3 days
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

Any update on Round 6 by any chance?
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

schnuth wrote:Any update on Round 6 by any chance?
I chatted with Marshall 2 or 3 weeks ago. He was going to work on filling the orders but his shopping cart system gave him some difficulty logging-in to look at the orders. I passed along the details of our order, but I haven't heard anything else since then.

Game-Tech.US sold 100 kits with the "lottery" thing. Those would be coming from the same production batch. I'll be watching for updates on those too.
Last edited by Ichinisan on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

Cool, thanks for the update!
TonyCheckraise

Post by TonyCheckraise »

While I wholly appreciate the work Marshall does to get these things made and tested etc etc, this is the problem with the whole pre-order THEN manufacture model. He’s had these kits in hand for nearly 4 weeks and we still have no idea when we’re getting them. I understand the manufacturing time is out of his hands, but the testing isn’t. My guess is it wouldn’t take 4 weeks if they had to be tested and ready to ship before money was collected for them. Sorry for the rant, but it’s been 13 weeks since the order was placed and we still don’t have any clue when we’re getting them. I could custom order a car in less time.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

TonyCheckraise wrote:While I wholly appreciate the work Marshall does to get these things made and tested etc etc, this is the problem with the whole pre-order THEN manufacture model. He’s had these kits in hand for nearly 4 weeks and we still have no idea when we’re getting them. I understand the manufacturing time is out of his hands, but the testing isn’t. My guess is it wouldn’t take 4 weeks if they had to be tested and ready to ship before money was collected for them. Sorry for the rant, but it’s been 13 weeks since the order was placed and we still don’t have any clue when we’re getting them. I could custom order a car in less time.
Yeah. Waiting without knowing the reason is the frustrating part. I still don't know why it took 12 weeks to get the round 5 order. Today we are at 12 weeks for the round 6 order.

@GameTechUS just tweeted 40 minutes ago:
#ULtraHDMI news:
There is no news!!!!
I do not manufacture the kit, Marshall does and he hasn't emailed me any news in a long time, it's always this way!
No, I do not know when he'll be done with the hardware revision or when the next sale will happen...
https://twitter.com/GameTechUS/status/1 ... 9016335360

...so it seems Jason from Game-Tech.US doesn't have a status update either.

I'll contact Marshall today to tell him again that I'm ready to order 200 kits (round 7 + some for myself) when I receive shipping confirmation for the round 6 order.
Last edited by Ichinisan on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TonyCheckraise

Post by TonyCheckraise »

I did see the game tech tweet which is what brought me back here to check on ours again. It is what it is at this point it just seems odd that’s all
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Ketzergon wrote:And he (MArshall) is the ONLY ONE who knows how to make them? He's keeping it as a secret or why no one else has been able to replicate them? And make more available like the GC Video project with GCHDMKII from EON gaming or the Carby from Insurrection.
I suppose that's because UltraHDMI is based on Marshall's own engineering; not based on Unseen's open-source work to reverse-engineer the Gamecube.