UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ichinisan

UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

Post by Ichinisan »

[TORNADO DISASTER UPDATE START]

I want to give everyone an update about the situation after the EF-4 tornado disaster.

We are working to restore communication and set up a usable work space to get back on our feet.

On March 25/26 (just after midnight), an EF-4 tornado tore through my neighborhood, turning this side of Newnan into a disaster area. In the “city of homes,” practically every home for miles around sustained some amount of damage from the storm.

My neighborhood (Woodrow Pl) is specifically where the EF-4 speeds were confirmed. Some homes were blown away with nothing left, so we are actually very lucky by comparison. We lost half the roof. The back balcony collapsed and crushed some equipment. My brother’s car was crushed by a tree and totaled by insurance. He tried to put a tarp on the roof during the rain just after the tornado, but fell through and injured himself (“non-displaced fracture at rotator cuff”). There have been multiple denied medical insurance claims, but he is resubmitting because he only did what they recommended. There is a lot of water damage inside the house. We still managed to keep nearly all the important indoor belongings safe and dry. Even with things distributed between 6+ locations, the garage and basement are still piled full of property that is somewhat at-risk while various contractors and subcontractors perform demolition work. We are still working to get everything out. Storage units all around are full because hundreds of people are in a similar situation. Another 10x10 unit just opened up ~21 miles away in the middle of nowhere and I snagged it. Making trips to fill the unit will be difficult while we have only one vehicle. It’s not nearly big enough anyway.

My twin brother could not assist with moving items due to his arm injury and work schedule. Many strangers and relief organizations offered help. Some were unable to assist when they realized we rent the home (we are not home owners). I declined most offers outright because others in my own neighborhood suffered much more severely. I thought we could handle everything with the help of friends and family. Perhaps that was naive.

Our older half-brother was preparing to come from out-of-state to help. He planned to bring his trailer, ATV + winch, chainsaw, and other tools. Unfortunately his clinically-diagnosed mental conditions caused paranoid delusions about previous encounters with my good friend. He threatened to mutilate my friend if they encountered each other. He and I both realized it would be a bad idea for him to come.

My niece and her fiance (also from out-of-state) offered to assist, so I continued to decline outside help. Their visit was delayed and ultimately they were only here to help for one full day. We finished as much as we could during that brief period.

When we moved here in 2019, the landlord (kinda my boss) did not provide a rental lease, so we could not get renter’s insurance. He was busy and I stopped asking after a while. I did not push him because I believe we have a great deal on the rent.

Communication after the disaster has been practically impossible. Power was out for a week. Internet service was never restored after multiple weeks, so I finally had the service transferred to the temporary home that my boss/landlord has provided (it was also an ordeal). Internet service is basically useless to me at that location. The place is much too small for our equipment and belongings. It’s in a very unsafe part of town and I will not bring other people’s consoles there. There are no curtains yet, but that’s the least of my concerns. The home was being renovated and renovation is incomplete. Electrical is a mess. Heat+AC does not work. I’m still trying to connect my appliances (various challenges). There has been a murder and another related shooting in the neighborhood just in the last 10 days. I cannot try to operate from this location.

Streets around the disaster area were not navigable for weeks. My landlord spent multiple hours over several days trying to get to the house and see it for himself. He always had to give up and return to manage his Thai restaurant. Many days passed before he could finally see the damage. After debris blockages were removed from streets, there were always utility crews working and blocking roads. I would often be diverted and sent around in circles for hours while trying to drive to a location that would normally take only 5 to 10 minutes. Now the streets are practically 100% navigable, but I’m still having lots of difficulty with package delivery. In particular, FedEx can’t seem to figure out what they are doing with a specific group-buy member’s console. The saga is absurd beyond belief, so I won’t waste time with it here. Note: Anyone sending a package at this point should use the PO box address (or the alternate mailing address for the PO box, which should work for any courier).

Red Cross placed a mobile display sign with their phone number just outside my neighborhood. I finally called them a little over a week ago, their phone system simply said they do not offer assistance to victims of the tornadoes in Georgia and Alabama. A couple days later the sign was finally gone.

I’m applying for assistance from Coweta Foundation, but I may have started the process too late.

Food is not a concern. Teams finally stopped roaming the neighborhoods to hand out food and water, but there are pre-existing free food programs that give out WAY too much food with each visit.

Our mother has cared for my brother’s small dog (“Ben”) for years. It helps her deal with life in an “empty nest.” The dog was diagnosed with diabetes at the end of October and it has been extremely expensive to deal with. Recently it seems that our mother is incapable of managing the diabetes and she’s telling me the dog seems to be dying. She has been sending hysterical messages and phone calls as I write this. We’ll need to visit the veterinarian again to see what can be done. It has been very expensive already. I expect euthenasia will be the only option we can consider. I have no idea how she will react to the suggestion (or for that matter, how my brother will react).

We are setting up a workshop at another location. It has similar concerns regarding safety and security. I will want my brother to spend most nights there. We also need assistance with electrical wiring for lights and security. My electrician friend told me he was coming back to GA after the tornado (“to help”). but then stopped responding to me until after he returned to Michigan. Offers of assistance from out-of-state never seem to work out...

Our plan right now is to prioritize finishing the consoles we already have on-hand.

When we have a usable work shop (with lights and Internet access), we will sell nearly everything we own from our extensive retro gaming collection. There will be a lot of unusual + obscure items listed soon. Actually I had been pressuring my brother to do this even before the tornado disaster. I don’t like the idea of our shared collection becoming a ball and chain.

Many years ago, our father died and left 10.5 acres of land in a neighboring state without a will, so we have paid the taxes for ~15 years. I think it’s time to get the deed / title (or whatever) in our name so we can use the property or sell it. I’m told that I need to consult with an attorney to handle the procedure.

Back in January / February, Marshall told me that he would have at least 400 additional UltraHDMI units for me very soon (in addition to the 230 units he was already preparing). He assured me that the +400 units would not “walk away” and I would be able to purchase and receive them imminently -- well before the expected April launch of N64Digital. I received the first 230 units and was working through many challenges to get them allocated. I contacted Marshall on behalf of GameTechUS and Marshall said he would get in-touch. If I understand correctly, Marshall offered to sell some units to Jason / GameTechUS, but Jason announced a pre-order for more units than were offered to him. As soon as I saw the tweet, I contacted Marshall and he said he could only offer me 300 UltraHDMI units. I purchased those along with 185 DAC modules before the GameTechUS preorder ended. Since then, GameTechUS has received and distributed those units. We even managed to perform some install services for GameTechUS kits before demolition began in our home.

At some point I told Marshall I needed more DAC modules to finish allocating the initial 230 UltraHDMI HW2 units I already received. On March 25 I received 100 DAC kits from the +185 I had purchased. I was ready to hit the ground running and continue allocating the first 230 UltraHDMIs, but the tornado struck that same night and put a stop to everything.

I still have not received the 300 additional UltraHDMI units I ordered (just 100 of +185 DAC kits). Due to the unusual way I need to contact Marshall, currently I have no easy way to reach him. I can only attempt to reach him from the location that will be our new workshop. I have to tether my mobile phone (no Internet service yet) and send my message. I usually cannot wait around for a reply. We’ve only been able to communicate momentarily before I need to disconnect again and leave. Weeks ago Marshall said he was hoping to finish a new firmware in the next day or so before programming and sending my order. He understood that there was no easy way for us to communicate and he said he would send the units with current firmware if he didn’t finish the new one in the next couple days.

[2021-04-11 15:54] Ichinisan:
- Not sure if I missed anything from you in the meantime.

[2021-04-11 16:09] Marshall H:
- ok good to hear from you again
- you didn't miss anything
- i am trying to do a firmware rev quick before the boards are provisioned
- if it ends up working i will wrap it up soon

[2021-04-11 16:10] Ichinisan:
- Thanks.
- I'll hit the ground running when they arrive.

[2021-04-11 21:02] Ichinisan:
- Back for a moment.
- If the rev seems like it's good, email a link to [redacted to evade harvester bots]@gmail.com and I will test.
- (firmware)

For much of the weeks that passed, I found that Marshall was not reachable during the moments while I was at the workshop. It’s pretty unusual. I finally caught up with him late on April 30.

[2021-04-30 22:08] Ichinisan:
- Any word? I'll need to give people some kind of update tonight.

[2021-04-30 22:09] Marshall H:
- oy

[2021-04-30 22:10] Ichinisan:
- They've started to demolish the house so everything is being moved.

[2021-04-30 22:11] Marshall H:
- dang

[2021-04-30 22:11] Ichinisan:
- Filled a bunch of storage places, but the garage and basement at the house are still full with stuff we have piled there.

[2021-04-30 22:12] Marshall H:
- sounds pretty crazy
- are you at a point where you can work at the shop?

[2021-04-30 22:13] Ichinisan:
- Yes.
- ...but still no Internet connection.
- I have the mobile phone for that.

[2021-04-30 22:15] Marshall H:
- here's where im' at now
- solid work on next firmware is done, but i have to do more on it. i am pretty under the weather at work as usual
- would you like me to just ship current fw or hang on

[2021-04-30 22:17] Ichinisan:
- ship current fw
- We can absolutely update any boards we still have after the firmware comes.

Regarding N64Digital: Some time after it was announced, Dan Kunz (citrus3000psi) of PixelFx graciously offered 50 units of N64Digital for $150 each from the initial launch allocation to help with the group-buy. Dan said he will not allow me to pay for them until the units are in-hand. I haven’t received any word since. I expect that I will be able to pre-order as many units as we need from future batches of N64Digital.

People have waited so long for an opportunity to get a true HDMI upgrade for their N64s. Regardless of whether you want UltraHDMI or N64Digital, I want to help as many people as possible. If you’re in the group-buy and you manage to get N64Digital directly from PixelFx, I will offer nearly-free installation. That would help me reallocate one of my initial 50 units for someone else in the list. For USA, that’s $30 to cover install + return shipping with some amount of insurance and/or signature confirmation. International packages are more tedious to manage. I typically can’t just use a flat-rate box, so I need to perform lots of measurements and calculations. I can offer to do international installs for actual shipping cost + $20.

I apologize that I have been unable to communicate what has been going on since the disaster. I’ve had too many urgent priorities to work on. In the meantime I’ve had some concerning threats, but I totally understand why some people are upset. It’s clear that many (most?) participants still have no idea what has happened and I will try to get the word out. Perhaps I can spend some time to make this update more digestible and set up an email filter + auto responder.

[TORNADO DISASTER UPDATE END]

[2021-03-11]
Quick update: I'm still working to allocate and process all these kits and refunds. Yesterday Marshall allowed me to order 300 kits that he currently has on-hand. I was expecting 400 units based on a previous conversation, but this will help a lot. Also he's taking a huge risk and producing many more than he has ever produced in the past. He didn't give numbers but I assume it means 1,000+ are in-production.

[2021-02-28]

As with HW1, you should add some solder to the anchor tabs for the mini HDMI connector. I believe the connector is made for a much thinner PCB (such as a cell phone). The factory just can't seem to get much solder there (if any). My brother had been adding solder to the mini HDMI port anchor tabs for each kit, but recently I've shipped a few kits that didn't have the extra reinforcement.

I have not seen an updated install guide from RetroActive covering HW2. People are receiving their kits so I will add some notes here.

HW2 has a slightly different flat cable. The extra connection is for in-game reset (IGR). It should connect to pin 27 of the PIF chip. Alternately you can use a wire and connect it wherever you connected IGR with your HW1 installs (I typically used a point underneath the N64 board for my HW1 installs). If there is any problem soldering the fingers directly, you can use the little test pads on the flat cable to attach wires. If you do that I suggest you snip the dangling unused parts of the flat cable so they don't make unintended contact.

The rest of this pretty much only applies for the optional analog DAC module.

CZroe's post earlier this month shows where you might need to remove some components. Typically these are only found on early NTSC boards (NUS-CPU-03 and earlier). These are the same components that would also need to be removed for any other RGB upgrade (viletim, borti, bypass amp, etc)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63381&p=1442707#p1442707

These old pictures I shared in May will help to show the orientation of the DAC module and the DAC flex.

DAC module on the UltraHDMI HW2
bigger: https://i.imgur.com/GN5q5tq.jpg

Installed in N64, viewed from above
bigger: https://i.imgur.com/fbA6KIT.jpg

Below N64 motherboard
bigger: https://i.imgur.com/HjUfBJ0.jpg

Most of the difficulty is just getting everything settled in-place. Marshall suggested pushing the DAC onto its connector after putting everything into position, but I am never comfortable assuming it is aligned. I connect everything first and gently work them into the correct places as I lower all three boards (N64 + UltraHDMI + DAC) into the bottom shell of the N64. As you lower everything into place, you might be tempted to lift the boards back out if they are not settling correctly. Be careful because the UltraHDMI board might already be wedging into place and you could rip the DAC flex.

Take care to avoid ripping the DAC flex if you need to lift the N64 board out from the bottom shell or remove the UltraHDMI. The UltraHDMI fits snugly in its position, and probably will not lift out freely with the N64 board. This is how I do it when I need to take everything out from the bottom shell of the system: I hold everything together as I flip it upside-down, supporting everything with an open palm. Then I gently jiggle the shell until it releases everything -- especially the UltraHDMI board. Then I slowly lift the shell STRAIGHT up as I continue to jiggle and make sure nothing snags. If you have a really tight mini HDMI notch cut, an assistant could use their fingernail to help release the UltraHDMI so it drops out. Also be careful not to lose the little metal brackets and plastic light guide as they would also fall out.

It was difficult to count the DAC flexes Marshall sent with these packages in February, but it seems to be exactly enough for the 115 DAC modules. I did a lot of swapping and testing with the kit I received back in August, so I actually ripped a DAC flex at some point. A few extra DAC flex cables were included with that one. Those have a factory error requiring holes to be cut for the AV pins to poke through, but they can be used if needed.

If you are using no-cut pieces from the current Greg Collins' (aka "collingall" or LaserBear.net) design, you will need to snip some plastic from the hood piece on the side closest to the DAC. Otherwise it will push down on the corner of the DAC and it will disconnect from the UltraHDMI board. I crudely modified the existing model with Windows 10's built-in "3D Builder" app.

STL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ckal2U ... sp=sharing
3MF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SJwp15 ... sp=sharing

[2021-02-07]

230 UltraHDMI HW2 kits finally arrived today!

Bigger: https://i.imgur.com/znwcfzv.jpg

I'll be busy getting these tested and shipped out. I've processed a few more refunds and I'll keep going through those as I can. Right now I don't want to make people wait any longer for these.

NOTE:

I've contacted Dan Kunz and we will look into the possibility of offering group-buy participants the option to switch to N64Digital. I will do my part to help N64Digital reach as many N64 fans as possible. Also, a shipment of 230 UltraHDMI units and 115 DAC modules is finally on the way to me. Another 400 units are soon to follow (Marshall has boards in-hand while additional flex cables are being produced). Final DAC price is $20. There is a mountain of emails requesting refunds and I'd like to offer them the option to switch to N64Digital too. Meanwhile, I need to start contacting participants to offer the DAC module now that the unit price ($20) has been finalized.

Recent refunds:

[2021-02-05] dkscer $3,250
Absorbed PayPal fee ($94.55).

[2021-02-04] leonk $406
Absorbed PayPal fee ($18.16) and currency conversion fee ($4.99).

[2021-02-03] Cirdan $285
Absorbed PayPal fee ($12.84) and currency conversion fee ($4.99).

[2021-02-02] ModInFrance $780
Absorbed PayPal fee ($57.50) and currency conversion fee ($4.99). Still on for 4 kits.

[2021-01-28] Don777 $520
Absorbed PayPal fees (~$15.24). Still on for 11 kits.

[2021-01-27] Jr712 $205
Original payment was "friends & family" - so there was no PayPal fee for me to absorb.

[2021-01-07] Aunaste $30
Absorbed PayPal fee (~$0.91). Installation not needed. Still on for 1 kit.

[2021-01-03] TheGlenn88 $144.50
Absorbed PayPal fee ($6.66) and currency conversion fee ($4.99).

[2020-12-31] SparkleBear $145
Original payment was "friends & family" - so there was no PayPal fee for me to absorb. HE LOST EVERYTHING IN CALIFORNIA WILD FIRES. :(

[2020-12-30] C0rnD0g1 $410.90
Absorbed PayPal fees (~$12.52).

[2020-12-29] masterkyloren $200
Absorbed PayPal fees ($6.10).

[2020-12-23] Damnn88 $11,700
Absorbed PayPal fee ($377.30). Still in for 10 kits.

[2020-12-10] krazyjakee $130
Absorbed currency conversion fee ($4.98).

[2020-11-29] Windfish $130
Original payment was "friends & family" - so there was no PayPal fee for me to absorb.

[2020-11-24] denizenKRIM $384.78
Absorbed PayPal fee ($11.46).

[2020-11-17] matt123337 $145.25

[2021-02-05]

Tracking was showing that both packages were expected to arrive before 9:00 PM. It's after 10:00 PM so I expect delivery tomorrow (Saturday 2021-02-06).

Bigger: https://i.imgur.com/uqGPqFv.jpg

Bigger: https://i.imgur.com/v3735I1.jpg

Then I will record video as I unpack and test each board. In the meantime I'll keep contacting people from the top of the list to offer DAC modules. I refunded $3,250 to dkcser (was in position #1) and absorbed the $94.55 PayPal fee. That's 25 more kits to be reallocated.

[2021-02-04]

With 230 kits and 115 DACs arriving tomorrow, I have to neglect other emails for a while and start at the top of the list to offer DACs to participants now that the final unit price ($20) is known. I open the Gmail filter / label for participant # 1 (dkscer, 25 units) and there is a cancelation / refund request from January 30. I offered to refund (absorbing the $94.55 PayPal fee) or ship kits + DACs from the package expected to arrive tomorrow. I'll reallocate those kits if dkscer ultimately choose the cancelation.

I expect I'll experience similar complications with each entry as I work through the list. The initial allocation of 230 units may stretch much further down the list than anticipated.

[2021-02-02]

Still moving funds so I can issue more refunds. I went ahead and refunded $780 to ModInFrance for 6 kits (still on the list for 4 kits).
Absorbed PayPal fees ($57.50) and currency conversion fee ($4.99).

[2021-02-01]

I've contacted Dan Kunz and we will look into the possibility of offering group-buy participants the option to switch to N64Digital.

The first tracking number finally shows acceptance by USPS:

Bigger: https://i.imgur.com/VGpnLv3.jpg

Marshall clarified that the package contains 80 UltraHDMI HW2 kits and 40 DACs.

Then he provided another tracking number for a second package, which will contain 150 UltraHDMI units and 75 DACs:

Bigger: https://i.imgur.com/4519Erf.jpg

That's total 230 UltraHDMI HW2 units and 115 DACs. Marshall said the DACs are $20 each and "we'll square up later." Now that I have a final unit price for the DAC I will contact the earliest group-buy participants to offer the DAC.

Refunded $205 to Pink Embers.

More refunds to come soon as I figure out the options I can offer for N64Digital. I'm really excited that soon people will be able to get what they have wanted for so long, plentiful and affordable!

[2021-01-31]

Installers: There is an update from Marshall on RetroActive's installer page. I would share it here, but that page has always said "installers only" at the top.

[2021-01-30]

N64Digital (perhaps it will be renamed "N64Dual?") has been announced and should be released in April 2021. I'm sure this is bad news for Marshall / RetroActive, but it's the best possible news for anyone who has waited so long for these features. Of course I'm bombarded with refund requests. I'll get to those ASAP. Considering I have a lot of N64 consoles here from group-buy participants, perhaps Dan and company will work with us and give participants the option of switching to N64Digital.

Here is my post from earlier this morning:
Guys, I'll move some money around and start doing more refunds. Everyone has been more than patient. I'm actually super happy N64 fans will finally be able to get what they have wanted for a very long time. It's difficult to believe it took this long for it to happen. Obviously I will be offering to install these, so I'll do my part to help this reach as many N64 fans as possible.

With that said, Marshall finally sent me a tracking number a few days ago. I hoped it would show movement before I came back to update this thread, but I would have posted an update before February regardless. I'm still not clear if the package contains only the 80 units he previously prepared or all of the 230+ units he has on-hand. It's also unclear if this package will contain any DAC modules (he hasn't asked me to send payment for DACs yet).

https://i.imgur.com/zHDxoRq.jpg

[edit]

Considering that I have dozens of N64 consoles from group-buy participants, I will explore options for converting the upcoming orders into a bulk order for N64Digital. I'm sure Dan is getting a lot of messages right now, but I will try to reach him anyway.
For now, I suggest everyone should disregard the participation details below. It would not make sense to join this group-buy until I know if I can do something with Dan and his partners.

To participate:
  • Email
    Image.
    (that's a "J" for "James")
  • Tell me which name / alias you prefer to use
    It will be visible to other participants on the public list.
  • Tell me how you heard about the group-buy.
  • Tell me if you are interested in kit+install or just the kit
    (and how many)
  • Tell me if you want a mini HDMI cable.
    Most people need one. It's $5.
  • Tell me your name, return address, and preferred email address.
If you are getting installation, ...
  • ... tell me which color you prefer for the power LED
    White, green, blue, yellow, or keep it red.
  • ... tell me if you prefer the regular notch-cut install
    I provide "no-cut" pieces free with install, please read details in section below
Thanks!

NOTE: Please use email so I can have all of our correspondence in one place to review when it’s time. My private messages here on Shmups have reached multiple limits since the first round I announced here. I had to stop responding to Reddit messages because too many important details would be buried in Reddit conversations and impossible to dig up when needed.

I will provide my mobile phone number, street address, email, and payment info.

I will post each status update in this thread.

UltraHDMI group-buy order history

ROUND 1 (5 weeks)
2018-01-23 ordered 20 kits
2018-03-01 received

ROUND 2 (7 weeks)
2018-07-04 ordered 17 kits
2018-08-21 received

ROUND 3 (3 weeks)
2018-09-22 ordered 25 kits
2018-10-14 received

ROUND 4 (5 weeks)
2018-10-19 ordered 14 kits
2018-11-23 received

ROUND 5 (12 weeks)
2018-12-22 ordered 40 kits
2019-03-16 received

ROUND 6 (22 weeks)
2019-03-14 ordered 70 kits
2019-08-12 received

ROUND 7 - accepting participants

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =293186896

Previous participants:
Spoiler
ROUND6: 71 kits ordered 2019-03-14
Received 2019-08-12

sl33p3rc3LL - delivered
retro-reality - delivered
schnuth - delivered
Aaron1238 - delivered
brendonknowsall - delivered
hugo19941994 - delivered
secousa - delivered
ldnbil - delivered
dedpoolz - delivered
budsully16 - delivered
kylez64 - (2) delivered
ClassicTrip - delivered
FlyEaglesFlyPA - (2) delivered
leonk - (2) delivered
Grimnaught - delivered
Towhatpoint - delivered
mr_cartorious - delivered
Nicksnotfunny - delivered
mrsociety - delivered
disco_pancake - delivered
TurboFiero - delivered
gamingpsychotic - delivered
RegularGuyGamer - delivered
dodd1995 - delivered
cheapskate_scanner - delivered
rooty_russ - delivered
TonyCheckraise - delivered
Alexz7767 -delivered
block1700 - delivered
beanmosheen - delivered
ness582 - delivered
Alfi - delivered
mikeyunk - He canceled and I refunded, kept the kit
SinnerOG - delivered
Simpleman - (5) delivered
rackerbillt - delivered
DadicusPrime - delivered
Lord_Naitsabes - delivered
Reddit-questions21 - delivered
Zavaro - delivered
MarkyG83 - delivered
Zappyraccoon - (3) delivered
Ceirt - delivered (took ~41 days due to Chile unrest)
Br0kenC0des - delivered
Jchamp14 - delivered
Grown_Ass_Kid - delivered
ForceMultiplier - delivered
stank_osauras_rex - delivered
Kettu83 - delivered
Tpoundx - delivered
aesquire - delivered
Psychobiologist - delivered
Arthrimus - (5) delivered
NGalaxyTimmyo - delivered
anthonyn0919 - delivered
tigurxi - delivered

ROUND5: 40 kits ordered 2018-12-22
Received 2019-03-16

ncrnelson - delivered
d_nimal - delivered
TehLinkz - delivered
DK_64 - delivered
DJ - delivered
VirtuaSkimmer - delivered
trolling_4_success - delivered
Jonkzbrudda - delivered
Sqwv - delivered
Sabin - delivered
nonother - delivered
hoagtech - delivered
neihofft - delivered
Austin - delivered
pulsaral - delivered
dkscer - (4) delivered
dpeb - delivered
ttahmouch - delivered
Raiden8816 - delivered
jensenjersey - delivered
h0ngE - delivered
howthegodschill - delivered
towerofpower90 - delivered
WeightedCube - delivered
brittanyfilth - delivered
leonk - (3) delivered
A_C_007 - delivered
audiohacked - delivered
Karma_Doesnt_Matter - delivered
unmaker - (5) delivered

ROUND4: 14 kits ordered 2018-10-19
Received 2018-11-23

mpctvman - canceled early, so I refunded and took his place
nmalinoski - delivered (kit only, no install)
alco18g - installed, delivered (UK)
cgpeb - delivered (kit only, no install)
jscanc972 - installed, delivered
jammsop - installed, delivered
TerminalPlantain - installed, delivered (Canada)
ledfyr - delivered (Sweden)
PopcornMagic - installed, delivered
Imakecowscry - delivered (kit only, no install)
ajrichie - installed, delivered
Rocker Gaming - delivered (2 kits, no install)
FabianBahr - delivered (kit only, no install, Germany)

ROUND3: 25 kits ordered 2018-09-22
Received 2018-10-14

CloudGamerX - delivered (kit only, no install)
Operative09 - installed, delivered
chack8 - installed, delivered (2 systems)
jumixbx - installed, delivered
dkscer - delivered (15 kits, no install)
YoshiKnuckles - delivered (4 kits, no install)
VmprHntrD - installed, delivered

ROUND2: 17 kits ordered 2018-07-04
Received 2018-08-20

Einhandr - installed, delivered (2 systems)
zachjay - installed, delivered
ustor - installed, delivered
Quaze - installed, delivered (Canada)
nmalinoski - delivered (kit only, no install)
gentlemenace - installed, delivered
bag - installed, delivered
tacoguy64 - installed, delivered
DoomsDave - installed, delivered (Australia)
Leigh Wilshin - installed, delivered (2 systems)
jedegr - delivered (kit only, no install, Belgium)
jvggopher9 - installed, delivered
joek - delivered (kit only, no install)
mawe - installed, delivered
danturcan - installed, delivered

ROUND1: 20 kits ordered 2018-01-23
Received 2018-03-01

Gloves - installed, delivered (Canada)
PuppyWaffles - installed, delivered
VGIII - installed, delivered
Totino - installed, shipped
creib - delivered (kit only, no install)
zombi - installed, delivered
Boosted52405 - installed, delivered
OptOut - installed, delivered (2 systems, Taiwan)
skylarsvideogames - installed, delivered
broncofantd793 - installed, delivered
NeonTrotsky - installed, delivered
spawn - installed, delivered (2 systems)
rancidskater - installed, delivered
Xtrasmiley - delivered (kit only, no install)
jugu - installed, delivered
djc5166 (for his friend) - installed, delivered
djc5166 (for himself) - installed, delivered
loukey - installed, delivered

DETAILS:

The goal of the group-buy is to help satisfy UltraHDMI demand more quickly, so a production batch can be big enough to satisfy orders for everyone in line (usually there is no other way to get in-queue). This also allows participants to basically get the kit at wholesale cost. Participants can also get discounted install service and other extras. I believe Marshall (RetroActive) prefers to ship larger orders so he doesn't need to pack/ship as many packages (probably why it has been difficult for most people to reach him with smaller orders). In previous rounds, the group-buy always grew past the goal while I waited for the "go ahead" from Marshall to order the kits. There's never a good reason to end a round before Marshall is ready to have the next batch manufactured, so now there is no target quantity.

Working as a team, my twin brother (CZroe) and I have performed hundreds of UltraHDMI installs and dozens of other HDMI installs (Hi-Def NES, DCHDMI / DCDigital, WiiDual, GCDual, etc). It's obvious that N64 fans are still desperate for UltraHDMI and frustrated because there hasn't been an easy way to get in line for one. The group-buy will also encourage RetroActive to produce larger batches.

I don’t want to exclude anyone. If you're part of a local retro gaming group on Facebook or another forum, let them know about the group-buy.

Marshall (UltraHDMI creator) once told me: "Turn time is 5 weeks" - but recent rounds have taken much longer and we should expect it to add a couple weeks for shipping around consoles and kits. Round 5 took 12 weeks to receive the order from RetroActive; which was the longest round yet. Then round 6 took 22 weeks.

I’ll pass along any updates I get from Marshall / RetroActive after our order is submitted. Until the order is sent to RetroActive, participants can back out and I will refund ASAP.

NEW HW2 DESIGN

Now it should be OK to publicly share details because participants in this round will receive kits with the new "HW2" design...

For two or three years, Marshall has been working on a revised UltraHDMI "HW2" design and sharing some details with me. The new design has a connector for an optional DAC (digital-to-analog converter) add-on module + additional flex PCB. The add-on enables analog R/G/B and component Y/Pb/Pr output through the N64's existing AV multi-out connector.

Most Shmups members already know what that is, but many people are discovering the group-buy from elsewhere so I will explain: UltraHDMI's standard digital output (HDMI) still provides the best picture possible for flat-panel TVs. The optional output provides the best quality analog picture - ideal for use with high-end CRT (tube) TVs.

Marshall said the add-on module uses a proper DAC component (not a resistor ladder as some older RGB options had). Separating the expensive component makes sense considering that most people are only interested in the HDMI output and don't have the right equipment to take advantage of enhanced analog output.

The new HW2 design also has a revised flat cable. It will not be possible to swap a HW1 board for HW2 without soldering the new flat cable in place of the old one. Bear in mind it can be difficult to remove an old cable without damaging it, so I recommend using another N64 if you’re uncomfortable. Finding a replacement HW1 cable may become more difficult after the transition to HW2. The new cable includes a connection for the in-game reset (IGR) feature, so it is no longer necessary to add an extra wire or permanently tether the UltraHDMI board to the N64's motherboard (I typically added an IGR disconnect for HW1 anyway). Also the flat cable connector on the UltraHDMI is revised so it's easier to open and close without breaking the connector.
Album with more:
https://imgur.com/a/zPwxUH4

PRICING
  • $130 UltraHDMI kit -required to participate
  • $50 install service +extras -extras detailed further down
  • $10 extra flat cable -useful if main flat cable is damaged
  • $5 mini-HDMI cable -quality 15-foot cable
  • $5 "no-cut" pieces -(or free with install)
  • $5 universal cartridge tray -(or free with install)
  • $? DAC add-on module -unit price TBD
If you are confident in your tools and precision soldering ability, buy the kit and install yourself. I can install for $50 and include the extras detailed further down in this post. If you attempt self-install and damage the main flat cable: Another flat cable is $10. CZroe has successfully restored a few failed installation attempts that were sent to him, so there's a good chance he could save a failed install attempt for you.

Marshall / RetroActive has not specified a unit cost for the optional DAC add-on module. I expect it will be at least $10, but it could be more [2020-12-10 update below]. I don't think the DAC will add much complexity to the install so I do not expect to charge extra for installing it. I'll clarify after I've done some practice installs with the early "test" units Marshall is sending to me. I might also find a supplier for a good component Y/Pb/Pr cable, which I would hope to offer for less than $10.

USA shipping:

$10 UltraHDMI kit
$20 upgraded console

I ship from Newnan, GA 30263 (United States). For combined shipping or shipping outside USA, I will contact you to work out the cost of shipping.

Combined shipping for multiple units:
I typically purchase insurance and require signature confirmation, so I will have to calculate the cost for combined shipments.

Shipping outside USA:

I will contact you before kits are ordered to work out the cost of shipping. If you want to avoid spending money for international shipping both ways, you can buy an N64 on the USA eBay site and have it sent directly to me. Make sure to share the tracking info with me because it can be difficult to associate one of these with a specific group-buy participant. Recently it has been more difficult to find a good local deal on a console, so I typically don’t offer to do that any more.

Extras included with install service:
  1. 3D-printed cartridge tray for NTSC systems:
    Allows North American N64 to fit and play Japanese games with 100% compatibility, or vice-versa. Your original unmodified cartridge tray will also be returned.
  2. Custom power LED color:
    Choose color-changing, green, blue, yellow, white, or original red.
  3. 3D-printed "no-cut" pieces:
    This was designed by Greg "collingall" Collins (of laserbear.net). Allows UltraHDMI to be installed without cutting a notch for the mini HDMI port.

Each UltraHDMI kit will be tested when I receive them. Each N64 system will be tested as I receive it. Each upgraded system will be tested again before packing and shipping. The latest UltraHDMI firmware will be installed (currently 1.08). If you order a kit with no install, your order will be shipped as soon as I receive and test them. If you’re getting install service, I’ll prioritize and process the list of participants in order based on when I received payment of at least $130 for the kit. For installs, send only the console. I don’t need the controller, power supply, or anything else. I'll have some of the N64 systems prepped and ready for installation so I can begin installs as soon as the kits arrive.

I am confident we can install / test / pack / ship 8+ systems per day.

MORE INFO REGARDING "NO-CUT" PIECES

These 3D-printed pieces were designed by Greg "collingall" Collins of Laserbear.net so it is not necessary to cut a small notch for the mini HDMI port. Group-buy participants with install service can get this for no additional charge, but can also choose the original notch-cut install. With the "no-cut" pieces, the UltraHDMI board is raised a few millimeters so the mini HDMI port rests just above the N64's bottom shell, and another piece replaces the hood/shroud around the AV multiout connector with a notched piece (I also return the original piece).

Two things to note about the "no-cut" install:
  1. The mini HDMI port is slightly closer to the analog multi-out connector.
    It's raised by a few millimeters, so using analog + digital outputs simultaneously requires slim cables. The mini HDMI cable I offer is slim enough to coexist with many common / cheap analog cables I have used. The connector on Nintendo's original cable is too big to be used simultaneously.
  2. The N64 must be reassembled without the bottom EMI shield.
    This isn't really an issue. The FCC over-reacted in the 1970s when people started buying electronics that produced broadcast TV signals (RF). Regulations were too broad, so consoles and computers have excessive shielding even when they don't produce RF signals.
Image Image
Standard notch-cut install (left) "no-cut" install (right)
https://imgur.com/a/rDcc3Ma

I’ll keep a public list of participants here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =293186896
(select "ROUND 7" tab at the bottom)

2019-11-04
Marshall made a small test batch of HW2 units back in September. He allowed me to purchase his remaining kits from that batch. Marshall said many of them will be dead-on-arrival. I believe PCB failures are expected because the factory in China does not perform a robotic test of each point on the PCB for a small production run such as this. I always test each unit, so I will identify DOA boards and RetroActive will compensate with replacements from a future production run. I should receive quite a bit more units than I previously implied, but I want to temper expectations until I know how many are DOA. I do expect to receive several dozen kits. Once I receive them, I will perform installs on various systems and provide feedback to Marshall before he does a full production run.

[update]
After I purchased the remaining units from Marshall's test production in September, he ordered some DAC modules to include. There were some delays as they were stuck in customs, but now he has them and he's waiting for the flex PCBs (carries analog signals from DAC module to N64's AV multi-out connector).

2019-12-31
In addition to the units made in September, Marshall also contacted me just hours before my December 31 flight and allowed me to purchase 150 more units. With such a limited quantity, it seems like he's doing another very small test batch and isn't ready to do a full production batch quite yet.

JANUARY 2020
I had a chat with Marshall. He said production around this time of year is always delayed due to Chinese / lunar new year celebration but he expects that production will start in early February.

LATE FEBRUARY 2020
I'm back from my international trip after 1.5 months and getting settled at home. There are a lot of packages to go through. I chatted with Marshall a few nights ago. He's still waiting for flex cables to go with the "test" kits from September. Factories that are currently running only offer limited services at the moment. PCBWay is only doing 2-sided PCBs and no assembly at all. They should be able to start producing the flex PCBs soon and I should receive the September test units soon after. For the 150 additional units purchased December 31, the virus outbreak in China will definitely delay production. I don't think anyone can really guess how long. Marshall said the factory has a third-party handling their email and their estimates seem too optimistic based on what he hears from business contacts in China. He shared the most recent email from the factory regarding PCB production and PCB assembly:
Hi , Marshall:
The PCB department of the factory has started to work, but now the delivery date will be a little slower than before.
The PCBA department is expected to work next week
Marshall also said this about an upcoming firmware feature:
when you left i was playing around with a way to reverse VI filtering on some games. that unfortunately did not end up being feasible
so i am adding hard interpolation to sharp pixel mode (where it looks sharp but still filters to prevent stairstepping)
AUGUST 2020
I finally received a HW2 test unit from Marshall along with the optional DAC module. Markings on the main UltraHDMI HW2 board indicate it’s from the September test production. RetroRGB mentioned this and I've been getting a deluge of email ever since.

SEPTEMBER 2020
Still working through email. Marshall has ~250 boards on-hand. Marshall said he’s ready to start provisioning if I don’t see any problems with the current firmware. I had been too busy to use mine after the initial install and testing, but I made a couple minor usability suggestions.

OCTOBER 2020
Marshall was silent for a while, then asked me to test some more analog scenarios. I did some testing at home and also drove 90+ minutes to a group-buy participant’s house to do some specific tests using his Framemeister with my HW2 system (note: you would never want to use it that way instead of straight HDMI). Marshall is considering some changes to the install procedure for the optional DAC module. This concerns replacing the N64’s sync signal because the UltraHDMI HW2 DAC is slightly faster (lower latency) than the N64’s DAC.

NOVEMBER 2020
Marshall is finally programming boards and working to get our outstanding orders shipped. He said the first package of 80 kits is ready to go. I hoped to have a tracking number before posting here again, but didn't want November to pass without some kind of update.

Conversations with Marshall...

Ichinisan [2020-11-11 14:24]
- Back again.

Marshall [2020-11-11 17:29]
- yeah i think it's past time to get going with programming the boards
- since there dont' seem to be any issues
- i do have another scanline option in progress but its nothing major. will finish it later
- have there been any new rgb cable developments

Ichinisan [2020-11-11 18:06]
- It just so happens I contacted Retro Access and RGC via Twitter to ask about bulk-ordering some cables.
- RGC replied, but seemed a bit confused at first.
- https://imgur.com/uiRqzLy

Marshall [2020-11-11 18:12]
- man
- i can tell this is already going to be a shitshow lol.
- good luck

Ichinisan [2020-11-11 18:12]
- Haha...yeah. Maybe encouraging everyone to use Y/Pb/Pr would be ideal. CRTs with that input are common at thrift stores around here.
- Dirt cheap.

Marshall [2020-11-11 18:13]
- it does appear slightly differently on a crt from rgb, because of bandwidth limitations and the way the colorpsace is converted inside the tv
- it's pretty minor

Ichinisan [2020-11-11 19:43]
- online guides say PAL SNES has 12V on the multi-out pin that would be CSYNC on an NTSC SNES (pin 3). I checked pin 3 on a PAL N64 and there was no voltage, so I guess that's not a concern for N64.

[ten days pass]

Marshall [2020-11-21 11:36]
- ping
- i am programming boards now :)

Ichinisan [2020-11-21 20:35]
- Awesome! if you have any extra, let me know. I will buy as many as you have for the people waiting in line for the group-buy.

Marshall [2020-11-22 12:11]
- ok
- i’ll focus on getting your outstanding stuff shipped
- the 80 order is ready to ship
- you have an updated address?

Ichinisan [2020-11-22 12:19]
- Cool. It's still J E Turner, [you guys know it]
- …or the new PO Box might be better
- Just a sec...
- J. E. Turner
- PO Box [you guys know it]
- ...or I can still drive out there!
- If it's easier to finish the other 150 and ship one package, that's cool too.
- Whichever is easier / safer for you.

Marshall [2020-11-22 12:31]
- Ok i'll ship to teh PO box
- I'm including 39 extra HW1 flex as well
- I'm sure someone coudl put them to use if they are upgrading/buying someone else' HW1
- I will update the installation guide with solder points for the new flex, and then figure out what components people must desolder/cut to allow the analog RGB option to drive Csync

Ichinisan [2020-11-22 13:10]
- Cool. Thanks for the flex cables. A few people asked me about them recently and I told them I have to be careful with the few I have. I'll get these out to anyone everyone that asked me.

I'm encouraged to hear that Marshall is getting ready to ship something, but disappointed to hear he won't be shipping both of my orders together. Maybe he's being cautious in case the first units reveal a major issue with the new HW2 design. If there are no issues I expect him to start another full-size production batch soon after these start going out.

He’s also sending some HW1 replacement flex cables. Many people upgrading to HW2 will probably damage the old cable, then a new one is needed so the HW1 kit can be installed in another system. We should still be careful with these because it might be impossible to get more of them in the future. If you can’t use another N64 board and you want to upgrade from HW1, please carefully try to salvage your HW1 cable. If you do damage it, I will have HW1 replacement cables available.

EARLY DECEMBER 2020
Some people are anxious. I totally understand if you are tired of waiting. Send me an email and I will refund ASAP.

Before starting the group-buy, when I found a way to reach Marshall I asked if he would just allow me to pay ahead of time for kits from the next production batch, regardless of how long it takes. The first few rounds were amazingly fast, but rounds 4, 5, 6, and now 7 have each taken far longer than any round before. Production delays are relatively insignificant compared to how long the kits spent in his possession. I’ve speculated that he has some enormous life + work priorities I haven’t heard about. If nothing else, he should be motivated by the thought of a comparable alternative product coming to market before he has come close to satisfying demand.

Part of the round 7 delay is expected due to challenges with international trade wars and tariffs, worldwide pandemics, and finalizing the new HW2 design - but I agree the delay still surpasses reasonable expectations. The unprecedented wait is simply too long for many participants. I continue to offer a refund to anyone who wants it.

Reminder: Please use email to contact me (not Shmups PMs, Reddit, Twitter DM, etc). I need to have everything in one place so I can review our correspondence when the time comes.

If there is a round 8, it think it needs to be done differently. Probably via a web site.

In a conversation yesterday (2020-12-09), Marshall discussed future pricing and the unit pricing for the DAC module.

Marshall 2020-12-09 05:11
- heading to the bank today to get more going
- how many people do you think of the 80/150 orders will want RGB
- er, analog

Ichinisan 2020-12-09 15:54
- I would say probably half of them are interested in analog. It seems like a lot more than I expected. Probably just because they know the option is there and they want full-feature.
- I told them I'm not sure of unit price for DAC modul, or if maybe they'll be included 1:1 with each HW2 kit after all.

Marshall 2020-12-09 17:13
- just got back from the bank with a new wire started
- that's interesting on the analog interest
- I agree that a lot of people will want it simply because it exists
- Price for analog board+flex is probably going to be about $25
- A bit mor ehtan i thouhgt because of the Hirose connector I used. it's a very nice reliable connector, it's just expensive
- and the ADV7125 dac still seems to cost about $8 by itself
- Also, just a heads up. I will be slightly raising the price of the HW2 mainboards. Just by a few dollars, to help offset the 20% tarriff i have to pay

I came home after midnight and found that my computer had restarted for Windows updates (again). It's possible Marshall tried to reach me while I was unavailable. I pinged him with another question but he has not responded yet.

Ichinisan 2020-12-10 00:30
- Computer restarted again for Windows updates.
- Yeah. Increased price is fine. Just want to make as many as possible!
- Sticking with China PCBA for now?

So the optional DAC add-on module may be $25 to $30. I kinda don't like the connector and placement of the module, but I don't want to suggest a design change or any delays at this point!

Regarding the last line (about UltraHDMI price going up "just by a few dollars") -- I already round-up my cost slightly to help account for PayPal fees and such. Also because round numbers are easier. I will need to check and see if there's still a margin when Marshall increases the price. This also tells me he is not yet moving production to Taiwan. I'm happy as long as he starts producing more UltraHDMI!

I've also absorbed some costs from USPS increasing prices. I can use less insurance or sometimes use salvaged packaging to save a bit. That means I'll spend more time finding the right box and measuring weight + dimensions. Sometimes it still costs more than the flat-rate box!
Last edited by Ichinisan on Sun May 02, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 206 times in total.
Ichinisan

Re: UltraHDMI group buy ends 1/22. Install discount +free xt

Post by Ichinisan »

Added details to OP just now.

creib had already messaged me to say he's interested, so I've added him to the list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Hey man I kind of feel like I’m being advertised at.

I am glad you are excited about your services and am well aware of the ultra hdmi.

It’s just your not discussing hardware or asking or stating anything about gaming technology.

And because you have never posted anything before, it seems very intrusive
Copyright 1987
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Hoagtech wrote:Hey man I kind of feel like I’m being advertised at.

I am glad you are excited about your services and am well aware of the ultra hdmi.

It’s just your not discussing hardware or asking or stating anything about gaming technology.

And because you have never posted anything before, it seems very intrusive
The gist: Some people are super desperate for UltraHDMI and I don't want to exclude anyone from participating.

The original post only asked if the Hardware subforum was the appropriate place to post it. The question sat for a couple days with no response (except a PM from an interested member). I finally edited the title and added details to the post just now.

Which is the appropriate sub forum? Can it be moved there?
citrus3000psi

Re: UltraHDMI group buy ends 1/22. Install discount +xtras

Post by citrus3000psi »

Did the cost of the kits go up? I want to say when I did group by it was 110 for the kit.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

citrus3000psi wrote:Did the cost of the kits go up? I want to say when I did group by it was 110 for the kit.
NintendoAge member YoshiKnuckles made a minimum 3 unit order along with my brother and me in 2016. That's how I got my first UltraHDMI kit. With shipping it cost me $130-something for my single kit.

The RetroActive.be ordering page says it's $127 each for minimum quantity of 3 to 9 units. I don't know yet if I'll be charged for shipping from MarshallH.

It also says the cost is $123 each for 10 to 49 units.
For 50+ units, his ordering page says "contact me." It might be possible to negotiate a better deal if the order reaches qty 50.
jugu

Post by jugu »

I'm interested. I've been trying to buy the kit from www.badassconsoles.com forever. PM incoming.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

PM'd
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

jugu and djc5166, both of you are on the list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks. I will place the order this evening and pass along any updates I receive.
loukey

Post by loukey »

I PMed.. hope I made it in time. :)
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

20 kits have been ordered and paid for. MarshallH also said something unexpectedly awesome: "should be out in a week or so"

That's much sooner than I was expecting! If you're getting install service, go ahead and ship your N64 to me so I can prep it. I suggest using tracking and signature confirmation to make sure it doesn't get misdelivered. In November a package of 4 N64s was delivered to the wrong address and the recipient was kind enough to bring them to me. Signature confirmation would help avoid a snag like that. I also suggest you take a picture of your console's serial number or write it down somewhere. It may be useful if the carrier has an accident and the package disintegrates. The N64 is built well, but I still suggest you pack it well enough that it won't shift around in the package too much. I'll review message history to make sure all of you have received my address.

I've received N64s from:

- Boosted52405 (NintendoAge) Jungle Green S/N ending 569
- PuppyWaffles (NintendoAge) Jungle Green S/N ending 595
- broncofantd793 (NintendoAge) Jungle Green S/N ending 515

Still expecting N64s from:

- VGIII (NintendoAge)
- zombi (NintendoAge)
- OptOut (NintendoAge)
- skylarsvideogames (NintendoAge)
- NeonTrotsky (NintendoAge)
- spawn (NintendoAge)
- rancidskater (NintendoAge)
- jugu (Shmups)
- loukey (Shmups)
Last edited by Ichinisan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

I'm interested to see what this awesome thing Marshall mentioned is. Perhaps a firmware update?
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

andykara2003 wrote:I'm interested to see what this awesome thing Marshall mentioned is. Perhaps a firmware update?
Nah...it's just that his statement implies our order will ship much more quickly than I had expected. I thought I'd have to wait for the next production run with a 5-week turnaround time.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

I haven't received any shipment confirmation yet from MarshallH for our 20 UltraHDMI units. On 1/25 @GameTechUS tweeted that MarshallH had received kits and began the testing/validation process -- implying that the preorders from Game-Tech.US in October would be on the way soon. I had pre-ordered 3 from Game-Tech.US in October, so I'm also waiting for those. Since Marshall H previously said "should be out in a week or so," I believe our 20 kits will also come from the same production batch he's currently validating. I asked Marshall how UltraHDMI testing was going. He said: "slowly"

I'll let everyone know when I have another update.
Last edited by Ichinisan on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

An email missed my filter yesterday: SHIPPING CONFIRMATION FROM MARSHALLH!

The kits apparently left Kansas yesterday and might even reach me before the 3 kits I ordered from Game-Tech.US in October.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Nice. Do you know when you're going to do another group buy? I might hop on the train, depending on whether Marshall will have some of the bugs and kinks ironed out by then.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

GeneraLight wrote:Nice. Do you know when you're going to do another group buy? I might hop on the train, depending on whether Marshall will have some of the bugs and kinks ironed out by then.
If everything wraps up nicely with this one and there are no major snags, we'll probably do a round2 immediately after. I'll add you to a list and try to reach you when it starts.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Tracking shows the kits are out for delivery and expected to arrive today!

I received another N64 yesterday. Still expecting a few more:

- VGIII (NintendoAge)
- zombi (NintendoAge)
- NeonTrotsky (NintendoAge)
- jugu (Shmups)
- djc5166 (Shmups) note: Received 1 of 2 N64 systems

I know some of these are on the way to me now.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Hi, guys! FYI, I’m the one wielding the iron. Ichinisan is my twin brother.

The kits arrived Thursday, the 1st when I was at work but I squeezed in one install that night and shipped it along with two BYO install kits. I did two yesterday morning and two yesterday evening (Friday, March 2nd). I’ve done four today and will be doing at least one more tonight. I’ll be doing a shorter shift tomorrow (8hrs instead of my usual 12) which should leave me enough time to do two before work and two after, provided Ichinisan can have the boards ready to go for me. If Ichinisan can streamline it for me and have the boards ready to go we can always squeeze in a couple installs after work even on my full shift days.

We’re on pace to be finished nearly as fast as you guys can get the consoles in!
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Status!

Gloves
installed, delivered (Canada)

PuppyWaffles
installed, delivered

VGIII
installed, delivered

Totino
installed, shipped (delivery attempted 3/21)

creib
delivered (kit only, no installation)

zombi
installed, delivered

Boosted52405
installed, delivered

OptOut
installed, delivered (2 systems, Taiwan)

skylarsvideogames
installed, delivered

broncofantd793
installed, delivered

NeonTrotsky
installed, delivered

spawn
installed, delivered (2 systems)

rancidskater
installed, delivered

Xtrasmiley
shipped, delivered (kit only, no installation)

jugu
installed, delivered

djc5166 (for his friend)
installed, delivered

djc5166 (for himself)
installed, delivered

loukey
installed, delivered
Last edited by Ichinisan on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:38 am, edited 7 times in total.
ustor

Post by ustor »

Ichinisan wrote:If everything wraps up nicely with this one and there are no major snags, we'll probably do a round2 immediately after. I'll add you to a list and try to reach you when it starts.
Please add me to this list as well, if possible. I would very much like to participate if there's a second round!
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

ustor wrote:
Ichinisan wrote:If everything wraps up nicely with this one and there are no major snags, we'll probably do a round2 immediately after. I'll add you to a list and try to reach you when it starts.
Please add me to this list as well, if possible. I would very much like to participate if there's a second round!
I've added you to the preliminary list. I'll send you more details when round 2 starts.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Just wanted to say in this thread how great it was dealing with these two.

Great communication as well.

Your N64s are in good hands here.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

djc5166 wrote:Just wanted to say in this thread how great it was dealing with these two.

Very kind. Thank you!

Everything went much more smoothly than I expected, so I'm preparing for round 2 :)
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

Ichinisan wrote:
djc5166 wrote:Just wanted to say in this thread how great it was dealing with these two.

Very kind. Thank you!

Everything went much more smoothly than I expected, so I'm preparing for round 2 :)
I meant to get in on round 1, so put me in your reference list for round 2. I gave up doing console mods when my N64 RGB mod made Pokemon Stadium look like an inverse technicolor nightmare.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I'd like to get in on the second round as well.
SparkyBear

Post by SparkyBear »

I would be interested in joining round 2. Thank you!
gentlemenace

Post by gentlemenace »

Since the second round hasn't officially started yet I'd like to get on the preliminary list too.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Cool. I'll contact each of you when it starts (very soon). If email is a better way to reach you, send me a PM with your email address.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Can I get in on this, please!!! :lol: