UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dryja123

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

Post by dryja123 »

Honestly, I’d like to see a simple yes or no from Marshall regarding chip availability. Are there enough chips purchased and on hand to fulfill the rest of the group buy? The Intel FPGA chip used on the UltraHDMI is back ordered until mid-2022. Doesn’t mean that they can’t come available sooner, it’s just where they’re at now.

If he doesn’t have the chips on hand then expect to wait until next year….

Expected 6/13/2022 from Mouser. Similar results from multiple sources: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/In ... iefA%3D%3D
shoobopper

Post by shoobopper »

Lopenator wrote:
shoobopper wrote:Just stopping by to say I received my refund with a discounted installation fee and will now be in line to get an N64Digital.
There was a lot of fear mongering in this thread that had me worried but the brothers pulled through despite their unfortunate circumstances.
What number are you?
I'm on line 392.
Syntax wrote: You failed to read the question correctly.

A page ago a new user came in and gave praise for such a fast and easy refund process.
Bit funny he's the only one.

Lots of new faces here...
I don't know if this is referring to me but I don't get all this conspiracy. I saw they were holding a group buy a year ago, joined, and then came back when my transaction was finished.
I have since received my n64digital.
It wasn't fast, it took a few emails and a couple months but it got resolved in the end. Hope you get your refund! :D
alucard971

Post by alucard971 »

shoobopper wrote: I don't know if this is referring to me but I don't get all this conspiracy. I saw they were holding a group buy a year ago, joined, and then came back when my transaction was finished.
I have since received my n64digital.
It wasn't fast, it took a few emails and a couple months but it got resolved in the end. Hope you get your refund! :D
Spoiler
The conspiracy stems from being signed up for years without a product. Marshal doesn't speak to the public, and barely through the Turners. The other rounds were much shorter and people waited less. This round, there was no cap. The thought was the more units requested, the more enticing the profit was for Marshal to continue production. And when the Turners wanted to put a soft cap on it, people continued to email them demanding to get on the list.

A year or two went by and no units were installed or shipped. This group buy was the only chance to get an Ultra HDMI, so there weren't too many complaints. BadAssConsoles tried their hand and sold a few, but that was literally a scam where no product was shipped and no refunds were given putting further bad taste in the mouths of buyers. Communication dwindled as the Turners have lives and jobs. This was just a hobby for them. Some emails went unanswered for awhile, but eventually communication was opened and continued. Covid hit, parts dwindled, and Marshal redesigned the UltraHDMI to v2, meaning further delays. It was necessary, but not an opportune time with the impatience that was growing.

The straw that broke the camels back was the announcement of the N64Digital. No hate on this at all: competition is great and it was nice to have developers that put more communication and more time into updates. It really is a great product. When it released, people saw that something was (more or less) available and possibly better, thus created standard human panic. Fear set in that people weren't getting the best and that they had to wait forever to get the UltraHDMI when they could easily get an available N64Digital. People instantly demanded refunds and wanted out. The Turners provided some refunds, but they were taking a hit on PayPal fees. Product from Marshal started coming in shortly after and orders had started to be fulfilled. Some want to say the N64Digital was "a fire lit under Marshals ass" to release his product when I believe it was an unfortunate timing coincidence.

Then you have the tornadoes, the loss of vehicle, house, car wrecks, etc etc etc that happened to the Turners we've heard a thousand times. If you want to read about it, it's all in these forums.

The truth of the conspiracy is its not a scam. No matter how much people say it is. At least not yet. The Turners, while its slow, keep an open line of communication. They have talked about everything that has happened at length that slowed down the process. This isn't BadAss Consoles where communication dropped and zero products shipped. They aren't active in here at the moment because they are hard at work on these installs. Both the times I've visited over the last week they have been working past 3am and often times they dont get a lot of sleep. Products have gone out, refunds have been sent, but people that are later on the list are still fear stricken that they will lose their money.

That's completely understandable. Marshal doesn't have an open line with the public to say more units are on the way and that he will ensure that everyone on the list gets a unit. Also, the Turners have money invested in this as well and can't issue everyone a refund at once. So the only thing that works for them right now is going down the list one by one and asking "UltraHDMI, N64Digital (if available), or refund". And that doesn't sit well with those at the end of the list because, if they receive one at all, it could be years before that happens. We don't even know if there are enough chips to continue production on v2. Marshal may have to do a v3 to keep up.

It's all around unfortunate. I understand both sides frustration and there is no easy way out. Team PixelFX has been amazing in offering to reserve a set amount of order slots for the N64Digital to some on the list. The Turners still honor the N64Digital installs while they wait on people to ship their consoles and for more UltraHDMI to come in. It usually is a one day turn around as well. Case in point, Jeffryyyy bought an N64D in last weeks batch barely a week ago and it has already been installed and shipped.

We have a long way to go before this is all laid to rest. We will have a lot more angry flame wars. It's hard to ask people for patience who have been waiting for years and a lot of unknowns for product, but we slowly continue to press forward and UltraHDMI's continue to be installed and shipped.

If you still feel that you are being scammed, then your right is to seek legal counsel. I ask that you don't come here with petty insults and complaints, especially towards others that bought into the group buy. It does not get you an instant refund, speed up the process or accelerate your position on the list.You waste your time, the Turner's time, and everyone else's that reads this for any sort of update. Contact your credit card and bank companies, contact your lawyer, contact your senator if you have to. Do what you can to get your money back.
Wirewizard

Post by Wirewizard »

I just got back from holiday and had an N64Digital sat waiting for me when I got home from PixelFX :) Thank you Dan+PixelFX team. 4 days from the order to being delivered from the States (as I'm in the UK and it was the weekend), so super fast :)

I think I will hold out for my UltraHDMI anyway, I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer :) I'd like to see what the differences are :)

Now I've got to brave instaling it... I have some soldering skills, but never modded a console :|
Tubo

Post by Tubo »

Wirewizard wrote:Now I've got to brave instaling it... I have some soldering skills, but never modded a console :|

You probably should get some help with the install. I've done a few console mods, and even I fucked up the flat flex and had to get a replacement (I did fine the 2nd time).

It's not an easy install. Definitely need a multimeter and probably a microscope of some kind.
alucard971

Post by alucard971 »

The Retrotink 5X will be available for preorder on September 24th 9PM PT.

https://twitter.com/retrotink2/status/1 ... 36936?s=20

The Retrotink 5X is an external upscaler that has many inputs: composite, S-Video, SCART RGB, and Component. Its one of the best, if not the best, upscaler available at the moment. It's expensive, but makes upscaling as simple as plug and play. It is an excellent alternative to the Ultra HDMI and the N64Digital.

If you want to learn more about the Retrotink 5X, visit the website at https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/5x-pro.

RetroRGB posted a deep-dive video on YouTube that explains some of the launch features.
https://youtu.be/nwNrqIjxBaA

Wobbling Pixels on YouTube also does an amazing job explaining the updates and showing comparisons. https://youtube.com/channel/UC7cKyiyU7IK9cLZXxSA0sPg
Last edited by alucard971 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

alucard971 wrote:The Tink 5X can easily do 1440p as well where the Ultra HDMI lacks and the N64Digital can do it, but causes a lot of extra heat and is use-at-your-own-risk.

The Tink 5x implements 1440p the same way as N64Digital and carries the same risk. Both require running the HDMI transmitter chip out of spec, we just didn't feel comfortable making such a feature easy to enable given that it's out of spec.
alucard971

Post by alucard971 »

Woozle wrote: The Tink 5x implements 1440p the same way as N64Digital and carries the same risk. Both require running the HDMI transmitter chip out of spec, we just didn't feel comfortable making such a feature easy to enable given that it's out of spec.
Thank you. I made an edit to match!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

You probably also should edit out the claim that a source using composite video can achieve near HDMI mod quality through the RetroTink 5X. I'm sure that was a typo though :D
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

Woozle wrote:
alucard971 wrote:The Tink 5X can easily do 1440p as well where the Ultra HDMI lacks and the N64Digital can do it, but causes a lot of extra heat and is use-at-your-own-risk.

The Tink 5x implements 1440p the same way as N64Digital and carries the same risk. Both require running the HDMI transmitter chip out of spec, we just didn't feel comfortable making such a feature easy to enable given that it's out of spec.
Correction: On the RT5X, operation at 1440p only causes a minor increase in heat dissipation, so there is no thermal damage risk. I'd imagine the considerations are very different inside an already hot console vs a PCB comfortably sitting in its own custom enclosure.

The ADV7513 HDMI chip in the RT5X has a sister part (ADV7511), which is rated for 225 MHz and the exact same die, so it is relatively easy to test each unit and make sure the part is "binned" as 1440p clocks (185 MHz) are well within spec for the base design. I think the N64D uses different HDMI chip, so the considerations might be different there too (haven't looked into it so can't say).
alucard971

Post by alucard971 »

Yeah I give up. I just put links. :lol:
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

alucard971 wrote:Yeah I give up. I just put links. :lol:
LOL appreciate the shout out, my man :)
SkysLastChance

Post by SkysLastChance »

I have a RGB modded N64. Can this be upgraded to an UltraHDMI mod?
Life is simple make decisions and don't look back.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

SkysLastChance wrote:I have a RGB modded N64. Can this be upgraded to an UltraHDMI mod?
Depends on which mod you got. If it's just a basic RGB mod like a Voultar board, or Tim Worthington's then yes. If you got one of the more advanced RGB mods that connects to the actual N64 video chip, like Borti's mod, then that one would obviously need to be removed before installing the UltraHDMI or N64 Digital.
shakyskeleton

Post by shakyskeleton »

Just received my two HDMI N64 kits today.
James has been in contact with me a couple of times just to check that everything was going alright with postage, since there was a while when no tracking updates were occurring. It was simply due to the package being shipped through Sydney, Australia, which is currently under lockdown due to COVID-19.
Thank you to the Turners, who have had to go through so much.
Appleton351

Post by Appleton351 »

So i know that im probally not going to get a reply but have i missed the boat here. I feel like im over two years too late
Austin

Post by Austin »

Yikes, finally caught up with this thread. That was quite the read in probably the most unfortunate way possible.

Speaking as someone that participated in a previous round, my UltraHDMI is still functioning great and I am still very happy with the work the brothers did. That said, even there with under 40 participants, it was a four to five month process. Maybe longer. Round 7 on the other hand.. holy hell.. It has nearly 850 participants?! :shock:

That's a communication nightmare waiting to happen. Actually, it looks like it already has, heh. I get why they are doing things the way they are now.

Anyway, I am not sure what to add that hasn't been stated before. I'm sure many lessons will be taken away from this endeavor by all parties involved. I do wish some of the more "respected" console modders in this scene would lean back on the mud-slinging though. Tossing around words like "scam" is disingenuous given the situation these guys have found themselves in, especially when they are still actually performing the work. Having your home destroyed by a natural disaster is no laughing matter.

Anyway, awful situation, but I only wish these guys the best of luck.
Cooperd9

Post by Cooperd9 »

TooBeaucoup wrote:
SkysLastChance wrote:I have a RGB modded N64. Can this be upgraded to an UltraHDMI mod?
Depends on which mod you got. If it's just a basic RGB mod like a Voultar board, or Tim Worthington's then yes. If you got one of the more advanced RGB mods that connects to the actual N64 video chip, like Borti's mod, then that one would obviously need to be removed before installing the UltraHDMI or N64 Digital.
You would want to remove the basic rgb mod if you went with an n64 digital or an ultraHDMI with the DAC because both of those implement an rgb mod anyways and will handle it better than the basic rgb mods
HolyWhip

Post by HolyWhip »

I was #137 on the list. Got my kit about a month ago. Installed and - It's good? I actually notice a little lag in some games that wasn't there before. Sometimes I notice it, and sometimes I dont. Sometimes I notice the whole game slowing down... almost like my N64 is overheating? I have no evidence that it is. It does feel warmer to the touch than usual. I never noticed that on a stock N64.. All parts went back together as per normal. No heat sinks missing or anything. Not sure what gives.
It could also be my Everdrive 64. I'm going to experiment more with certain games.
Anyway, I'm reading N64 Digital may be lag free... I may have to buy one when available just to get rid of that 1/60th frame of lag with the Ultra HDMI.
Anyone else notice any lag after having Ultra HDMI installed?
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

HolyWhip wrote:I was #137 on the list. Got my kit about a month ago. Installed and - It's good? I actually notice a little lag in some games that wasn't there before. Sometimes I notice it, and sometimes I dont. Sometimes I notice the whole game slowing down... almost like my N64 is overheating? I have no evidence that it is. It does feel warmer to the touch than usual. I never noticed that on a stock N64.. All parts went back together as per normal. No heat sinks missing or anything. Not sure what gives.
It could also be my Everdrive 64. I'm going to experiment more with certain games.
Anyway, I'm reading N64 Digital may be lag free... I may have to buy one when available just to get rid of that 1/60th frame of lag with the Ultra HDMI.
A lot of N64 games will drop in FPS considerably and spike back up due to how much movement there is on the screen. This is normal and happens in titles like CBFD, Perfect Dark, 007, DK64 and more. Are you sure you are not referring to this? In fact, speed runners often play with weird camera angles to decrease the FPS drop as much as possible.

My brother has a UHDMI and I have a N64D. We experience no lag on either machine.

Maybe you're just use to modern games?
alucard971

Post by alucard971 »

Spoiler
HolyWhip wrote:I was #137 on the list. Got my kit about a month ago. Installed and - It's good? I actually notice a little lag in some games that wasn't there before. Sometimes I notice it, and sometimes I dont. Sometimes I notice the whole game slowing down... almost like my N64 is overheating? I have no evidence that it is. It does feel warmer to the touch than usual. I never noticed that on a stock N64.. All parts went back together as per normal. No heat sinks missing or anything. Not sure what gives.
So I have the Ultra HDMI v2 and the N64 Digital. I have noticed a little more heat on the N64Digital, but it's negligible. The mods have extra chips that produce more heat so you're going to feel more heat especially on the bottom. It shouldn't be so hot that it burns to the touch, but will be a little hotter than normal.

As far as the lag, i didn't notice any lag on either. There are, however, a lot of variables that could contribute to lag if you haven't already tried it:

1. Make sure your TV has all settings that add any extra enhancements both sound and video. Anything that has to scan and change the display will add lag. This includes things like audio normalizers, contrast boosts, any kind of resolution adjustments or scaling, etc. Make sure the resolution on the UHDMI matches the resolution on your tv. If you can, test it on a standard CRT television. Analog should be untouched and will be like stock so you should not feel noticeable lag.

2. Ultra HDMI has a direct mode that is low latency . Try setting that. There is also a new zero lag option on firmware 1.9, but I do not recommend updating until Marshall can figure out why it's breaking in game reset.

What model tv do you have and any other hardware you have connected to it? (Such as hdmi to Component, upscalers, audio extraction devices, etc).
glx

Post by glx »

Just wanted to confirm I received my N64digital (I had the option to switch for an n64d when it was my turn) today, line #187. Thank you.
alucard971

Post by alucard971 »

USPS to start slowing delivery. Started October 1st.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1443 ... 64553?s=19

According to the post, this will lengthen delivery time from the "within 3 day delivery" to within 5 days.
Uzumaki

Post by Uzumaki »

I have requested a refund multiple times via email over the past few months and have not received a reply yet. Paid July 2020; number 294 in line it looks like? I understand the situation sucks and am willing to eat the paypal fees.
AbnormalAdept

Post by AbnormalAdept »

im at line 487. i rather get a refund and use that on the n64digital once a new batch comes out. but ofc they wont respond. would be nice to check your emails
alucard971

Post by alucard971 »

They have explained refunds a few times in the past. To save face, I'm not going to repeat. If you would like to read for yourself, CZroe mentions the gist of it on page 24 and mentions it later on page 25 and beyond.

They are both working long nights to get the consoles out, as shown by people replying after receiving their order. I usually check on them, but I haven't been able to due to my own temporary living arrangements. When your number is next on the list, you will be given a refund option. It's not ideal by any means, but you will get your refund should you request it.
strayan

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - accepting participants

Post by strayan »

Ichinisan wrote:
strayan wrote:Enhanced de-blur for HW1 has my attention.

Does anyone happen to know why we can’t get a 240p signal over HDMI for use with a HDMI to Component adapter?
I asked Marshall:

Ichinisan
- I've heard a few people ask me if UltraHDMI can support non-standard modes like 240p over HDMI. They said the Super Nt can do it.
- Supposedly useful for analog converters, but an external analog converter would be unneeded with HW2+DAC.

Marshall
- not easilyt
- unlike later consoles that use DTV-based pixel clocks like the gamecube, ps2, wii, xbox etc (usually 27mhz) the n64 doesn't care about that
- so, i would need to create a clock to match the frame rate but meeting CEA861 requirements so tvs will accept it
- the problem is there are about 6 possible slihgtly different clocks to generate in this case (3 console regions, progressve/interlaced)
- and i don't have a fractional PLL to generate a precise enough clock that won't eventually drift out of alignment with the n64
- the supernt also doesn't generate 240p, though it might not be impossible ont hat platform

The external DAC for Super Nt would be detected by the Super Nt system, so the system would output raw digital RGB signals through the HDMI port instead of producing an encoded HDMI signal. Only the external DAC from Analogue would have any idea what to do with those signals since it's non-standard.
It’s a real shame the ultraHDMI HW1 won’t output 240p via HDMI. I currently have my Gamecube + Carby adapter connected to my 15kHz CRT with a DVI to RGBS interface and Tim Worthington’s VGA2SCART adapter. Works a treat and would love to be able to do the same with my ultrahdmi. Does it really have to be CEA compliant?
Dizzny

Post by Dizzny »

Any Updates? Spreadsheet hasn't moved in months
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Dizzny wrote:Any Updates? Spreadsheet hasn't moved in months
Read the past 2 months of updates in this thread. Stop making other people do your dirty work.
Dizzny

Post by Dizzny »

Wow. Thank you, I didn't know I should have done that. Now can I get an answer from someone who isn't a complete tool, maybe someone who knows something other then Miss Keyboard commander over here?