UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
capsule01

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

Post by capsule01 »

I am not a part of this community :cry:
Last edited by capsule01 on Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

flipsideaut wrote:"The flex is soldered to pin 27..."

Im still waiting on my UltraHDMI(i have a PAL board), but what i saw shouldn't it be also connected to Pin16 (and Pin27)? - correct me if im wrong please.

Thanks,
BR Flipside
Pin 16 is for the Controller polling connection. That pin isn't always right for every revision. This CPU-08 needs to be attached to the VIA as shown in the linked photo.

Long shot, is the IGR only going to work for a flash cart? Shouldn't it also work with original games?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

ldeveraux wrote:
Guspaz wrote:That's a highly irresponsible approach, and a totally unreasonable one. And possibly illegal in some jurisdictions.
Come off it, there's nothing illegal about how 2 guys handle their own group buy on some silly internet page...
What's silly about it? It's a sales transaction, and there are laws governing sales transactions and refunds.

For example, the laws regarding online purchases, which apply to anyone (including the "2 guys") who sells to someone in Quebec: https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consumer/ ... condition/

If you do not receive the item within 30 days of the agreed upon date, or within 30 days of purchase if a delivery date was not specified, you are entitled to cancel the order with no time limit until the item is received. Upon notifying the merchant, they have 15 days to reimburse you, after which the merchant has broken the law.

Now, how many of the refund requests in this thread were honoured within 15 days? The policy of ignoring refund requests for months until they "get to your spot in the queue" is illegal for any buyer in Quebec, and I would bet that many other states/provinces/countries have similar laws that are being broken here.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Guspaz wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Guspaz wrote:That's a highly irresponsible approach, and a totally unreasonable one. And possibly illegal in some jurisdictions.
Come off it, there's nothing illegal about how 2 guys handle their own group buy on some silly internet page...
What's silly about it? It's a sales transaction, and there are laws governing sales transactions and refunds.

For example, the laws regarding online purchases, which apply to anyone (including the "2 guys") who sells to someone in Quebec: https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consumer/ ... condition/

If you do not receive the item within 30 days of the agreed upon date, or within 30 days of purchase if a delivery date was not specified, you are entitled to cancel the order with no time limit until the item is received. Upon notifying the merchant, they have 15 days to reimburse you, after which the merchant has broken the law.

Now, how many of the refund requests in this thread were honoured within 15 days? The policy of ignoring refund requests for months until they "get to your spot in the queue" is illegal for any buyer in Quebec, and I would bet that many other states/provinces/countries have similar laws that are being broken here.
Good luck enforcing a single cross-border law when relations between US and Canada are at an all time low. I can see it now:

"If like to report a robbery"
*Tells story*
"Please don't call here again sir"
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The US has federal laws that cover similar things:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/w ... d-products

The same "by the time they said or 30 days if they didn't specify" applies to the US federally as it does in Quebec, and the rest of the rules are not so different.

Under US federal law, not notifying the customer about the delays is illegal. Ignoring a refund request when the conditions have been met (as they have here) is also illegal.

The FBI would instead classify it as business fraud: https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/co ... ness-fraud
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Guspaz wrote:The US has federal laws that cover similar things:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/w ... d-products

The same "by the time they said or 30 days if they didn't specify" applies to the US federally as it does in Quebec, and the rest of the rules are not so different.

Under US federal law, not notifying the customer about the delays is illegal. Ignoring a refund request when the conditions have been met (as they have here) is also illegal.

The FBI would instead classify it as business fraud: https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/co ... ness-fraud
The government will likely defer you to Claims Department for the method of payment, which is Paypal? Paypal has money back guarantees just for this purpose, but as it's been said many times, most people are past the time frame where that applies. Tough luck really.

This is all a painfully moot discussion about whether any agency, police, or governing body would ever consider this case, because there's absolutely no proof or even a concrete allegation that any crime or anything illegal has taken place. The people with the money have been completely upfront about where it's gone, they've offered refunds to some people (some of which they even followed through!), and have offered to transfer to another technology for others still.

Don't be like the guy who's "...just checking in every 4 months, would really love an update!!^&$& Where's my widget? You said it would arrive on XX date, but it's clearly YY date! I'm going to sue you and take your house!" Quit your fucking bitching and wait for the thing you ordered to show up.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The laws don't care if the vendor intends to eventually refund you some day in the distant future. They care if a refund is issued promptly when requested. Which it's not. That's concrete proof of the law being broken. The Paypal length of chargebacks doesn't matter, the law has been broken. Where the money has gone doesn't matter. People paid for a product, they have not yet gotten it, and when they requested a refund, they are being ignored. That's illegal.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Guspaz wrote:The laws don't care if the vendor intends to eventually refund you some day in the distant future. They care if a refund is issued promptly when requested. Which it's not. That's concrete proof of the law being broken. The Paypal length of chargebacks doesn't matter, the law has been broken. Where the money has gone doesn't matter. People paid for a product, they have not yet gotten it, and when they requested a refund, they are being ignored. That's illegal.
I'll kindly ask the guy who apparently doesn't quite grasp the art of quoting to get over it. It ain't gonna happen bro...
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

Alright, so I stripped down this system again and toned everything out for the Reset switch.
It's hooked up correctly and getting continuity between Pin 27 and the UltraHDMI board when the reset button is pressed.

Pressing the reset button grounds the connection sending that signal to the UltraHDMI. That's all working electrically, so is there something odd about the polling that is occurring with this particular motherboard revision (CPU-08)?

I removed the switch to check things out and it looks really simple.
https://i.imgur.com/4AMCYNM.jpg

Pressing the reset button sends a ground signal to pin 27 on the PIF-NUS
That's working fine when I check with the multi-meter, all the way up to the UltraHDMI board, the connection works correctly.

So, from what I can tell (and I'm far from an expert in electronics) the UltraHDMI board isn't properly sending a ground signal back to Pin 26 on the PIF-NUS in this case.
Or I'm missing something else?

I'll be buttoning it up to test with a controller and see if it is going to ground with a game running.

Edit: Tested with a game, the controller combo that should reset is not producing a ground signal on pin27.
I may be way off from how this actually works, but help would be appreciated :D
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

Fixed the IGR issue

https://i.imgur.com/r2M5bth.jpg

The flex cable is two sided, with the connection for the controller and reset on one side, as it connects up to the rest of the flex cable, it then runs through a via to the otherside of the flex.

That wasn't happening in this specific flex cable. I'm not sure why or how production would miss that somehow, but I am positive there is no visible damage in the little bit of trace between pin 27 and the main portion of the flex cable.

I ended up soldering a wire from pin 27 to the otherside of the flex, where there is a test pad and IGR works as it should now.
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

PULOVR wrote:
Lethal wrote:Waiting 2 years for an undelivered product then expecting some accountability when my emails go ignored for 3+ months is none of those things but by all means keep spindoctoring the situation by virtue signaling.
This is not directed solely at you, but towards all the people in this thread that have been waiting for a response to their refund requests (be it a few weeks, or a few months).

They mentioned in an older post, that as soon as they reach your name (as it's listed on the main list), that they will contact you via email and ask if you want a refund, or... to add in the extra board to your original order, or... to change your original order over to digital (if the digital option is still available). In other words... if you haven't received an email response from them yet, that would mean they haven't reached your name on the list.... and they said that they will not respond to any emails from anyone until they do reach your name.

They said that it was easier for them to do it this way (so they are only dealing with a few people at a time), which makes it far easier for them to go back and track all the emails for that particular person to find out what they want to do.... and then they will confirm with that person if their original choice/decision is still a go, or if they had changed their mind. That could take a few back-and-forth emails for every single person on the list... which would obviously take some time to do.

In other words... it doesn't matter if someone requested a refund last week, or a few months ago... they are not going to respond to that person until they actually reach their name, because it would most likely throw everything they are trying to do out of whack. With 800+ names on the list, I too would have done the same thing if I were in their shoes.

With that said, after reading terzdesign's post (3 posts above mine), we now have a pretty good idea as to where the guys are in terms of the fulfilling orders.
Quite frankly I couldn't care less what has been stated on X previous date regarding an indefinite arbitrary time frame. When you go dark and just start outright ignoring customers that put good faith in you to deliver a product that paid in full 2 years ago, that screams lack of accountability. As I already stated, the stories that have been told previously no longer correlate with what has actually taken place in reality. They very clearly stated in this thread that they had a several hundred unit "second batch" that was on the way to them and even posted a tracking number. That was months ago.

Where are these boards now?

Why are they dedicating time that they claim to not have, making additional cables to ship with kits that they can't deliver rather then answering a massive backlog of emails?

I acknowledge the fact that they suffered a natural disaster that was outside their control. What a terrible situation that must have been but that was 3 months ago and they said that none of the product was damaged. At some point you have to stop accepting excuses and realize that for whatever reason these guys are no longer reliable.
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

Guspaz wrote:The laws don't care if the vendor intends to eventually refund you some day in the distant future. They care if a refund is issued promptly when requested. Which it's not. That's concrete proof of the law being broken. The Paypal length of chargebacks doesn't matter, the law has been broken. Where the money has gone doesn't matter. People paid for a product, they have not yet gotten it, and when they requested a refund, they are being ignored. That's illegal.
The only ignoring that should be taking place is that of ldeveraux's ignorant posts. He's nothing more than a mindless apologist that seems to think yelling over everyone else's very legitimate concerns with his opinion from the peanut gallery will some how discredit them.
darkghost

Post by darkghost »

glx

Post by glx »

At this point I just want to know what happened with that second batch, we even saw a youtube video of them receiving it.

I'm supposed to be in this one according to the numbers, but there hasn't been any movement on the list in 3 months. Don't update firmware or anything, I'll handle it myself. I'm sorry about the tornado and personal problems, but I just want info.
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

darkghost wrote:Image
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

Lol
10mile

Post by 10mile »

All this discussion is just going to lead to another 1500 word update that says nothing :(
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

What's the point of all this? Truly! How do you see any of this playing out?

It doesn't matter if laws have been broken. This is small claims BS. Governments have better things to do with their time. It'd be like a cop pulling everyone over who's driving 66 in a 65 MPH zone.

A class action lawsuit? There aren't enough people harmed to make it worth while. If they formed an LLC the damages would be limited to the business funds and equipment auction proceeds. The legal fees would eat everyone's money. Any law firm would laugh you out the front door! Actually, they would very professionally advise you to cut your losses and move on.

Small claims courts have been at your disposal this entire time. You could sue them personally, if you're that pissed off you can drag this forum down through the daytime TV mire that is Judge Judy. However, they could make the same arguments they have already and you would look like an asshole on public TV for suing disaster survivors in the months after they were rendered homeless by a tornado. That be a great way to thoroughly ensure no one ever tries to do something nice for the RetroGaming community again.

So let me repeat myself. What's the point of all this? The more you guys go back and forth echoing each others frustration, the more this shit amplifies! Why are you stirring up trouble? What good could possibly come of inciting anger on this forum?

It will become a self fulfilling prophesy! The way I see it, there's still a decent chance these guys are going to make good on their promises (either by delivering kits, switching orders to N64 Digital, or refunding). But if you continue on slandering and inciting anger like this, that chance will drop to zero.

Please, for the sake of all those still hoping the receive their kits, just stop!
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

RIP-Felix wrote:What's the point of all this? Truly! How do you see any of this playing out?

It doesn't matter if laws have been broken. This is small claims BS. Governments have better things to do with their time. It'd be like a cop pulling everyone over who's driving 66 in a 65 MPH zone.

A class action lawsuit? There aren't enough people harmed to make it worth while. If they formed an LLC the damages would be limited to the business funds and equipment auction proceeds. The legal fees would eat everyone's money. Any law firm would laugh you out the front door! Actually, they would very professionally advise you to cut your losses and move on.

Small claims courts have been at your disposal this entire time. You could sue them personally, if you're that pissed off you can drag this forum down through the daytime TV mire that is Judge Judy. However, they could make the same arguments they have already and you would look like an asshole on public TV for suing disaster survivors in the months after they were rendered homeless by a tornado. That be a great way to thoroughly ensure no one ever tries to do something nice for the RetroGaming community again.

So let me repeat myself. What's the point of all this? The more you guys go back and forth echoing each others frustration, the more this shit amplifies! Why are you stirring up trouble? What good could possibly come of inciting anger on this forum?

It will become a self fulfilling prophesy! The way I see it, there's still a decent chance these guys are going to make good on their promises (either by delivering kits, switching orders to N64 Digital, or refunding). But if you continue on slandering and inciting anger like this, that chance will drop to zero.

Please, for the sake of all those still hoping the receive their kits, just stop!
I know it's a tough concept for those that breathe out of thier mouth to understand but had they actually followed through with replying to the posts in this thread the next day as they had originally stated a while back and/or possibly caught up on at least some of the several month old emails in their free time, then the boiling point that's on the verge of taking place wouldn't have transpired. Instead they post vague updates bordering on outright rants that cause even more questions and then continue to ignore the situation.

The longer the silence continues, the more the state of the group buy comes into question of those that are involved.

The tornado also took place 3 months ago and they claimed to have received a second batch of kits prior to that date. Where are they?

So, "please, for the sake of all those still hoping TO receive their kits," I hope they get their shit together and take accountability for what's looking more and more like a bait and switch.
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

Listen dude. I can't speak for the twins, but I know if I had that much (free) money in my bank account from random people, I would be lying if I told you that the thought of investing it all into DOGE would NEVER cross my mind.

>.>

Honestly I feel as though I deserve to have my money robbed by doing something as dumb as sending it to strangers on the internet!
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

The good news first:
https://i.imgur.com/0X0HNya.jpg

50 PixelFX N64Digital kits for group buyers arrived today! Thank you Dan, and co. Dan reached out earlier last week but some were already getting theirs before we could send payment. I'm sure they were more than a little busy, you know, launching and I can't tell you how appreciative I am that they are helping so many of us who waited so long for a competing product. We owe Dan and PixelFX a lot of goodwill. Please show them your support!

We tried our best to get one or two the hard way when orders started last month but we were unsuccessful so we didn't get to try one until a local group buyer, Alucard, brought his to the workshop on Wednesday. The installation went smoothly enough but after a lot of frustration we realized it simply wasn't compatible with the HoriPad Mini 64 I used at my UltraHDMI test station. Alucard reported it on Discord and Dan was already aware when Ichinisan brought it up. They say the Retro Fighters controller has a similar issue and they are looking into it. We actually did another for someone else but my brother had already shipped it before I could try our Warrior 64 controller. Got another picker coming in the morning but I'll install one for the test station and try it tonight. :)

Oh yeah... regarding "pickers:"
The transportation situation slightly improved Wednesday (rigged up a charge point for my brother) but the living situation has deteriorated rapidly and most everything from the collection must go. We keep piling stuff where we think it's safe only to get hit with flood after flood after flood after flood... and the landlord asked us to find another place well over a month ago (he's selling once rebuilt). We'll never be moving back and have no place to go with our stuff (currently spread across at least six places). We simply have no safe place for our collection. We've had pickers and friends over to grab everything they want at a fraction of the market value since eBay is proving more than we can manage right now for anything that isn't particularly valuable.

Ichinisan's biggest struggle has been an obligation to help the landlord's other business when we had no time and it complicated our transportation issues. We owed him for his help and the temporary place to stay but the strings attached were completely paralyzing his ability to deal with his priorities (you). If we have to vacate the temporary house, so be it.

We'll need to receive most consoles at the USPS PO Box since we will never be returning to the other address and won't be at the temporary address much longer. I had a couple packages sent directly to the workshop only for one to end up at CVS Pharmacy and another inexplicably delivered to the place where no one lives (found it rec'd/opened by contractors). Though the PO Box can receive courier packages (FedEx, UPS, etc) we've had issues there too. Last week someone sent us his PS1Digital and we cross-shipped him a system with one of ours as soon as it showed "Delivered" on UPS tracking. Unfortunately, it is missing since USPS never put the UPS package in our PO Box. We are likely out of a PS1Digital. :(

My situation at work does not allow me the free time it once did, which is why I have not been able to catch up here. When I get off work I'm always catching up on the stuff my brother queued up for me or I'm frantically trying to recover from another major disruption. Hopefully that won't be an issue with Ichnisan finally free to devote all his time to catching up. I've requested all my paid time off but it has not been approved. Though I have no trouble keeping up with the mod work I may need to just ask for a leave of absence to help with everything else.

I work tomorrow and Ichinisan will be busy with another picker. I hope to catch up on the thread on my next day off... probably Sunday.
KAJJ324

Post by KAJJ324 »

Thanks for the update!
ifightdragons

Post by ifightdragons »

10mile wrote:All this discussion is just going to lead to another 1500 word update that says nothing :(
Hit the nail on the head. Another big update that swerves right past the issue of refunds.

CZroe: You need to refund people who have asked for a refund. This should be the number one priority.

We all feel horrible for the incredibly bad string of luck that has befallen you and your brother. But you can't keep on ignoring the calls for a refund.

I strongly encourage people to ignore Ideveraux and his posts. Don't even respond to his ignorant belligerency. Let him wallow in his own echo chamber.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

ifightdragons wrote:
Hit the nail on the head. Another big update that swerves right past the issue of refunds.
This thread topic is about the group buy, not refunds. They are in no way required to address refunds. Your first incorrect statement.
ifightdragons wrote: CZroe: You need to refund people who have asked for a refund. This should be the number one priority.
Nobody is guaranteed a refund, you're only given one if the brothers approve it. Again, this thread is about a group buy, so getting the device to the end user is and should be their number one priority. Your second incorrect statement.
ifightdragons wrote: We all feel horrible for the incredibly bad string of luck that has befallen you and your brother. But you can't keep on ignoring the calls for a refund.
They can ignore refunds, see above. You should have stopped before the word "but" as it makes you sound like an insensitive, uncaring, hopeless monster who realistically doesn't care one iota of their experiences.
ifightdragons wrote: I strongly encourage people to ignore Ideveraux and his posts. Don't even respond to his ignorant belligerency. Let him wallow in his own echo chamber.
This I honestly couldn't care less about. You can keep slandering people you've never met, nor clearly care about, I'll keep defending them for actually trying to get something to people, even if you think they've lost hope. Nothing I'm saying is "belligerency", more like truth with a smattering of opinion. I honestly don't even understand the last sentence, so it's probably for the better?

Be honest here for once. If you are in fact on the list for this, you just regret going in on it and want a refund. You either regret paying the money up front and having to wait this long to still not receive it, or you just don't even want it anymore. I would understand that more than the BS you're peddling. To insist that you receiving a refund immediately is just nonsense. Come on, there's nobody else here, you can tell me.

I hope you are finally satisfied when you receive what you originally bought in for. If I was in the brothers' position, I wouldn't grant you a refund based on your behavior.
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

ldeveraux wrote:
ifightdragons wrote:
This thread topic is about the group buy, not refunds. They are in no way required to address refunds. Your first incorrect statement.
ifightdragons wrote: CZroe: You need to refund people who have asked for a refund. This should be the number one priority.
Nobody is guaranteed a refund, you're only given one if the brothers approve it. Again, this thread is about a group buy, so getting the device to the end user is and should be their number one priority. Your second incorrect statement.
ifightdragons wrote: We all feel horrible for the incredibly bad string of luck that has befallen you and your brother. But you can't keep on ignoring the calls for a refund.
They can ignore refunds, see above. You should have stopped before the word "but" as it makes you sound like an insensitive, uncaring, hopeless monster who realistically doesn't care one iota of their experiences.
ifightdragons wrote: I strongly encourage people to ignore Ideveraux and his posts. Don't even respond to his ignorant belligerency. Let him wallow in his own echo chamber.
This I honestly couldn't care less about. You can keep slandering people you've never met, nor clearly care about, I'll keep defending them for actually trying to get something to people, even if you think they've lost hope. Nothing I'm saying is "belligerency", more like truth with a smattering of opinion. I honestly don't even understand the last sentence, so it's probably for the better?

Be honest here for once. If you are in fact on the list for this, you just regret going in on it and want a refund. You either regret paying the money up front and having to wait this long to still not receive it, or you just don't even want it anymore. I would understand that more than the BS you're peddling. To insist that you receiving a refund immediately is just nonsense. Come on, there's nobody else here, you can tell me.

I hope you are finally satisfied when you receive what you originally bought in for. If I was in the brothers' position, I wouldn't grant you a refund based on your behavior.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How do refunds of payments FOR THE GROUP BUY have nothing to do WITH THE GROUP BUY? Especially considering how they aren't answering emails for months on end, it would only make logical sense that others like myself would start posting publicly in the only place they seem to periodically comment as a record to show we're clearly being avoided.

That aside, the amount of spindoctoring hypocrisy and mental gymnastics in the rest of your post is truly impressive if not outright ridiculous. You can virtue signal all you like. At the end of the day if your argument hinges on morals then the right thing to do would be to refund everyone that has requested it since the product they paid for hasn't been delivered in any reasonable time frame and has dwindled to a state of indefinite postponement. Speaking of "facts", (a word you clearly don't have an ounce of understanding the definition of) those that have asked for a refund months ago and still haven't received one surely aren't demanding nor expecting it "immediately".

I don't think I've ever seen such a sensationalist garbage take in my life. Maybe on CNN or one of the other left wing propagandist news outlets but it's certainly not something I would expect to see such gross levels of on a console gaming forum. What a joke.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

My post from early June seems to be missing. I was falling asleep when I was trying to post it was was pretty sure I did. Maybe I still have my notepad I was working in.
Lethal wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:How did a tornado affect your business?
What's that got to do with making cables instead of answering 3+ month old emails?
He and I aren't the same person but I understand your frustration and apologize. Was never supposed to be a busniess/customer relationship except for entirely-optional install services so I'm even more sorry if you paid those in advance (payment for that was never required in advance). Reminder: We don't make money on the kits.

We offered extremely cheap miniHDMI cables at barely over what they cost to keep people from resorting to rigid dongles that can damage an expensive kit that may not be available in the future. Similarly, I hoped to offer unfinished cables for DIYers and I did a bunch myself to get the hang of it. Been sharing those with people who should probably have one for testing.

As for time... well, I can't even count the number of times I've been stranded after losing my car to the tornado. I only intended to make a few but ended up making a lot more since I frequently get stranded for hours. It happened again yesterday where my brother could not get back to me and I had to try and scoot home after the place closed. Last time the little electric scooter broke down and this time the battery died half way. The trip took hours but I would've been waiting outdoors from 8PM to 5AM otherwise while an excited picker cleaned us out of just about everything for pennies on the dollar. Our childhood collectionand everything else has to go NOW because we are about to be homeless. We will never be going back. The landlord is selling once it is rebuilt and taking the temporary place back too.
Lethal wrote:As a fully paid customer that's been waiting...I'm sympathetic to their situation but at some point you need to be accountable to the customers that paid in good faith to have a product delivered.
Please remember that it isn't our "product." We are middlemen. Our incentive/"product" was entirely optional discount installation fees and even those were mostly offered to increase participation. I think it's important that we keep some perspective on what this is and what this was supposed to be. Say what you will about Marshall, but he has delivered many more than we have shipped and we are the hang-up right now. I understand you guys don't want to hear about all the daily unexpected setbacks but if I shared then I'm sure you would understand.
samson7point1 wrote:@CZRoe
Just to be sure that I understand your last reply - Ichinisan is processing the list in order no matter if people have requested refunds or still want the UltraHDMI, and therefore I will not receive my requested refund until after all the people before me on the list have either been refunded or had their device shipped, correct?

Can I get an update on what position on the list he's at? There haven't been any updates past #109 in the spreadsheet for a while.
Yes. This was so that he can reallocate as he goes but it turns out that most people change their mind about a refund once he gets to them and they would have lost their place in line otherwise.
The terms were always that people could request a refund until their money was sent to Marshall, and he always stuck to that, then everyone requested refunds right when kits were en route and the money was obviously sent. We already had tracking numbers when N64Digital was announced and had no word that it was happening. Processing refunds as he gets to them is just the reality of what is possible to do at this point. I'm sure there is some law about how long he can take but he doesn't even know who is entitled to one and who isn't without distributing what we have on hand.

He could have and honestly SHOULD have forced everyone to take their kit if their money was sent but he still wanted to find a way for everyone to get what they want, be that UltraHDMI, N64Digital, or a refund they weren't entitled to. If he had just started issuing refunds to people who were at the end of the list and forcing everyone else to take the kits we had on hand then fewer would have been caught in limbo when the tornado hit since those kits would have been done and gone without all the back and forth complexity of contacting each to find what they really want.
uberpolka wrote:I'm having an issue with In Game Reset with my HW2 board.

It doesn't seem to work.

Everything is installed fine, the menu will come up, IGR is enabled, but the button combo won't reset. (Start, Z, R-Trigger, A, B)

The physical reset button does work. The flex is soldered to pin 27 and looks like that gets grounded when the physical reset button is pressed.

Anyone else having issues with IGR?

https://i.imgur.com/XuOm9Oa.jpg
Was that you or someone else I recently helped with this on Facebook? If there is a bad connection in the cable then there is a test you can solder a jumper to. Looks like a square pad. There is even an extra one for some undocumented or future use, so they are clearly intended to be used alternately as jumpers connections. :)
Guspaz wrote:Yes. That would have been the only reasonable thing to do. And as somebody who actually runs a store selling retro gaming products, it does not take long to process a refund, perhaps half a minute. Maybe a few minutes if they're doing it manually. And if they had been issuing the refunds as the requests came in, the amount of work at any given time would have been small. As it stands now, where they've ignored refund requests for months? Perhaps they'd need to sit down for a few hours and do it all in one shot. But that's all it'd take, sitting down for a few hours to plough through all pending refund requests.
If we were running a store and it was our inventory/risk, sure, but the kits aren't ours. If everyone requested a refund after we sent their money and we just refunded without question, then we would have to front the money for their kits. Then what? Sell them while others on the list are still waiting for theirs? Continue down the list? What if enough cancel that we reach the end of the list and are left fronting the money for way more than we can afford (which is NOTHING right now, by the way)? It's a minefield. Obviously, if we could have just bought and sold that many kits ourselves then there wouldn't have been a group buy and we would have and we would have made out like bandits.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

OK, I found my draft of the lost post but it may be incomplete and was definitely from before I inserted the quotes. I'll go back and edit those in as I figure out who I was responding to with each...

I'd love to offer an option for those of you looking for an installation-only who aren't in the current round and I could definitely use the money but I don't want to slow things down for anyone who is waiting. If we can get things running as smoothly as before by that point then it may be possible to work you in as we batch the installs.
Wirewizard wrote:I cannot order from pixel FX directly today, so if the option to swap to a N64Digital is available please can I pay the extra and get it through you guys? I was hoping to try for one today, but can't due to problems shipping to the UK that Pixel FX haven't quite resolved yet :(

Obviously no stress or hurry... it is a video game system after all :lol:
We were right there with everyone else trying to get a couple more for you guys but didn't get through checkout. Oh well. We won't get enough N64Digital for everyone but if you are one of the first 50 you should be able to get one. Not sure if this is a one-time thing or if we might be able to do this again with the next batch until Round 7 is satisfied but I hope it's the later.
nbd wrote:...I'm in the mid 400s on the waiting list and have gotten quite a bit more confident in my soldering skills. Might just try to install the N64Digital myself should it be a really long wait for install service.
If you feel confident enough to take a crack at it, I'm still willing to help if you need me. Working hard to be both ready and willing. ;) The offer will remain open though circumstance may mean you need additional. Hopefully replacement flexes will be available.
SonicAdvDX wrote:
CZroe wrote:That’s Ichinisan talking to someone scammy since I was too sick to share a phone or get close.

We found the door was very difficult to open and my brother insisted that someone tried to kick it in.
Jesus man, even with cameras up, this area just sounds like a robbery waiting to happen... Maybe for crime deterrence sake, you guys could leave the lights on and a loud radio blasting whenever you guys aren't in the building???

Surprised to be saying this, but I hope you guys are 2nd Amendment-type people, lol... Seriously, be safe and take care of yourselves. Worried about you guys.
That may not be an issue soon. Let's just say the workshop will be occupied most hours and that isn't exactly a good thing.
Glassboy wrote:I am 138 on the list and have not sent my system yet because I originally asked for a refund via email. At this point I’m happy to take one of the n64 digitals if they have not already been spoken for. Or I’d be fine with ultra hdmi. I didn’t send my system because I wasn’t sure what the situation was and I don’t know if I should send it now given how you say deliveries are not reliable. What’s the best course of action? I appreciate the work you dudes are putting in and I’m terribly sorry to hear/see all the shit you have had to endure. Thanks!
Deliveries continue to be unreliable and the post office lines are ridiculous with hundreds of people having no mailboxes or no longer receiving mail at home due to being displaced. I recently tried to get some a UPS order delivered to the workshop directly under a business name that has never been associated with the tornado-stricken address, yet somehow one package from the order went there and the other went to CVS Pharmacy (?!). I don't know who will want what when my brother contacts them or how many of them managed to secure N64Digital themselves until Ichinisan starts distributing them but he does have 50 and multiple people have already let us know that they got one independently. :)

Safest is still USPS to the PO box.
Simoncino wrote:@CZRoe @Ichinasan perfect.

I will be waiting you. I have sent some mails but no response, i'm n. 113 in the list. waiting for your reply.

CZRoe is J Emmett? right?
Yes, sir, that's me. :)

I did your console with UltraPIF but my brother said he has to look up the details of what else we are doing... something like you may have sent two consoles? Not sure but I keep telling him I am ready. :)
Sox1 wrote:Is there still a way to join the group buy? Looking for a kit and don't see any better alternative. Thanks
If there is another round I believe it will have to be very different. Gotta focus on the task at hand for now though... which is unfortunately still at "recovery." :(
Lonny S Miller wrote:Hello very nice to meet you Marshall. My name is Lonny Shane. I was wanting to let you know that I found out about your Ultra HDMI kits a couple of months ago. I am a garage technician and I have work in a machine shop most my life but at heart I truly am a Nintendo Gamer since I was 8 years old. Anyhow I found a very nice gentleman who actually just had a triple bypass surgery he is a master at working and fixing CB radios as well as television set circuit boards. I am not sure how easy or busy it would be for him because he has not done this project before. However I've seen it on YouTube and it does not look too hard for someone who knows to solder.
I have been a collector for a long time and N64 is my true love and I have a few very nice collectible systems that I do want to upgrade with alter HDMI if maybe you could like enlighten me on the other new system you're speaking of I haven't seen it yet. I would like to get definitely about 10 if not 15 systems done. The cutout is not a big deal for me but if you do that regardless. I almost prefer the cut out to be done in old but no biggie.
Last question is I know you change the LED can you do a color changing LED? First place I saw it from was metaljesusrocks on YouTube....lol... awesome presentation by the way Mr. MetalJesus! He has the light alternating all colors.lmk if that's not problem? Ty and interested in lighting behind reg N64 logo.. like I've seen they put the light behind Ultra HDMI and highlight with extra LED. Anyhow those are small thing just asking
If you are offering the labor and doing it as well with the price. Or a few dollars a piece? Please just let me know I am just asking. I feel like I finally have had luck with finding the right spot and who to talk to please reach back out to me at my email address please . lonnysmiller@gmail.com
Not sure if Marshall himself reads this thread but he is the engineer/creator and does not do installs beyond the ones he does for engineering, testing, qualification, etc... definitely not for end users. :( My brother and I have done several hundred installs and have likely done more than anyone else but circumstances are such that we cannot know when we can help the general public. There are many others who can help including Dragon's Hoarde, Mobius Strip Tech, Voultar, iFixRetro, Long Island Gaming, etc though the bigger issue is gettin the kits. That is the part we were trying to help with before the disaster hit us. We hope to get that rolling again soon since that would also mean we are on the path to recovery. Obligated to get through this current group buy round first, of course.
dryja123

Post by dryja123 »

I know it’s your policy that once the money is sent to Marshall the refund window is closed. Have you ordered enough kits to fulfill the group buy this round? If someone is at the end of the list can they still get a refund? Maybe you could add a refund window column to the spreadsheet and mark it closed once the kits needed to cover the next people in line are ordered.
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

CZroe wrote:
Lethal wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:How did a tornado affect your business?
What's that got to do with making cables instead of answering 3+ month old emails?
He and I aren't the same person but I understand your frustration and apologize. Was never supposed to be a busniess/customer relationship except for entirely-optional install services so I'm even more sorry if you paid those in advance (payment for that was never required in advance). Reminder: We don't make money on the kits.

We offered extremely cheap miniHDMI cables at barely over what they cost to keep people from resorting to rigid dongles that can damage an expensive kit that may not be available in the future. Similarly, I hoped to offer unfinished cables for DIYers and I did a bunch myself to get the hang of it. Been sharing those with people who should probably have one for testing.

As for time... well, I can't even count the number of times I've been stranded after losing my car to the tornado. I only intended to make a few but ended up making a lot more since I frequently get stranded for hours. It happened again yesterday where my brother could not get back to me and I had to try and scoot home after the place closed. Last time the little electric scooter broke down and this time the battery died half way. The trip took hours but I would've been waiting outdoors from 8PM to 5AM otherwise while an excited picker cleaned us out of just about everything for pennies on the dollar. Our childhood collectionand everything else has to go NOW because we are about to be homeless. We will never be going back. The landlord is selling once it is rebuilt and taking the temporary place back too.
Lethal wrote:As a fully paid customer that's been waiting...I'm sympathetic to their situation but at some point you need to be accountable to the customers that paid in good faith to have a product delivered.
Please remember that it isn't our "product." We are middlemen. Our incentive/"product" was entirely optional discount installation fees and even those were mostly offered to increase participation. I think it's important that we keep some perspective on what this is and what this was supposed to be. Say what you will about Marshall, but he has delivered many more than we have shipped and we are the hang-up right now. I understand you guys don't want to hear about all the daily unexpected setbacks but if I shared then I'm sure you would understand.

And how exactly is that the buyers fault? What makes you think that you can hold buyers payments as ransom because you or the supplier are unreliable? How is it fair that Marshall gets all his money up front while the customer sits facing indefinate delays without the product they paid for because 3 months after you sustained a personal setback you still haven't found another place to rent or obtained a replacement vehicle? Did you not have insurance? With a job and rental history it shouldn't be that difficult to get your life back in order. This to me looks like a cop out. You seem to be further placing blame on the supplier assuming that you were telling the truth about the second batch. Or was there no second batch and the tracking number you provided actually didn't contain any kits? More clarification is needed.

Also, why haven't you been answering several month old emails or updated the google doc since February? These questions have been asked many times and yet receieved nothing but avoidance.

We need answers not more vague blanket statements that fail to address the questions being asked and only reiterate what you've already stated while not actually saying anything.
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

dryja123 wrote:I know it’s your policy that once the money is sent to Marshall the refund window is closed. Have you ordered enough kits to fulfill the group buy this round? If someone is at the end of the list can they still get a refund? Maybe you could add a refund window column to the spreadsheet and mark it closed once the kits needed to cover the next people in line are ordered.
They haven’t updated the google doc since February at all. I doubt they will create a new column for an arbitrary "refund window" after coming up with further excuses after the fact to shift accountability of the problem when they can't even be bothered to respond to emails that are 4 months old.

Anyone requesting a refund that has been ignored and outside the paypal case dispute time frame, I highly recommend filing a chargeback with your credit card company for non-receipt of product if you no longer want to be taken for a ride. If you paid with your bank account there's a similar process. Contact your bank.