UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lethal
Banned User

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

Post by Lethal »

ldeveraux wrote:
SonicAdvDX wrote:You guys who jumped into this thing at the last minute need to understand; you placed yourselves at the end of a LOOOOOOOONG line of people who have been waiting much longer than you. Addressing the needs everybody ahead of you on that list will take priority over yours; it would be unfair to everyone else who waited 2+ years longer than you if they didn't. Being a squeakier wheel isn't going to get you oiled any faster.

The fact that this guy changed his mind and wanted to cancel BARELY A WEEK after placing his order is frankly hilarious, and speaks to a complete lack of knowledge of the nature of this group-buy. Maybe you shouldn't be throwing money at enthusiast projects, if you're going to whine and stomp your feet when their "customer service" doesn't live up to the likes of Amazon. They never claimed to be professionals, they're just two guys trying to manage OVER 850 ORDERS.

From my perspective, the most unfortunate part of all this is that no matter how much you guys bitch, moan, and insult the Turners; when they do eventually work their way down the queue to your refund requests, I'm sure they'll still respond with the utmost courtesy and offer to eat the PayPal fees for you out of the kindness of their hearts. And NONE of you will deserve it.

Stay mad.
11 total posts. This guy gets it.
758 total posts. Still doesn't "get it".

And for reference I've been waiting 2 years, not demanding a refund after a week.
SonicAdvDX

Post by SonicAdvDX »

Lethal wrote:758 total posts. Still doesn't "get it".

And for reference I've been waiting 2 years, not demanding a refund after a week.
I was referencing Fluor's cancellation screenshot, not your situation.

I know I haven't been a member of these forums for long, I've always been more of a lurker; but I found James and placed my order with him about 3 years ago, and only just recently finally received my order. I was thoroughly impressed with all the hoops these guys jumped through to get my order to me, even in spite of all the (CONTINUING) damage to their home, and the the complete lack of stability in their work/life/internet situation. Frankly, I felt a little guilty that they even felt obligated to be working on my stuff, considering the current state of their lives... But I also understand they're under a shitload of pressure, and probably just want to get this whole debacle over with.

If these guys were the scam artists people are making them out to be, they would have been thoroughly exposed long ago. Maybe they're not managing their time as well as they "should" be, but they're doing their best under the circumstances. And in reference to the Excel sheet; it's clear to me that updating that list has been put on the backburner for them, because the completion of my order isn't reflected on the sheet either.

Your times will come, people. All you have to do is wait.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Lethal wrote:

This is why everyone hates you. You heard about a magical group buy and arrived out of the blue, not to contribute to the forum, but to buy something without considering the risks. Do us all a favor and return to the woodwork you came from for another 2 years before coming back again. This is why I'm blocking you and why this thread will ultimately get wiped like the last one. Because trash bags don't take themselves out.
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

SonicAdvDX wrote:
Lethal wrote:758 total posts. Still doesn't "get it".

I was referencing Fluor's cancellation screenshot, not your situation.

I know I haven't been a member of these forums for long, I've always been more of a lurker; but I found James and placed my order with him about 3 years ago, and only just recently finally received my order. I was thoroughly impressed with all the hoops these guys jumped through to get my order to me, even in spite of all the (CONTINUING) damage to their home, and the the complete lack of stability in their work/life/internet situation. Frankly, I felt a little guilty that they even felt obligated to be working on my stuff, considering the current state of their lives... But I also understand they're under a shitload of pressure, and probably just want to get this whole debacle over with.

If these guys were the scam artists people are making them out to be, they would have been thoroughly exposed long ago. Maybe they're not managing their time as well as they "should" be, but they're doing their best under the circumstances. And in reference to the Excel sheet; it's clear to me that updating that list has been put on the backburner for them, because the completion of my order isn't reflected on the sheet either.

Your times will come, people. All you have to do is wait.
That post wasn't directed towards you.

Either way, what number were you on the list?
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

ldeveraux wrote:
Lethal wrote:

This is why everyone hates you. You heard about a magical group buy and arrived out of the blue, not to contribute to the forum, but to buy something without considering the risks. Do us all a favor and return to the woodwork you came from for another 2 years before coming back again. This is why I'm blocking you and why this thread will ultimately get wiped like the last one. Because trash bags don't take themselves out.
I don't think you should be speaking on behalf of anyone other than yourself when you logically can't comprehend the difference between someone complaining about their order not being received in a week and someone simply asking for a reply to a 4 month old email after they waited 2 years. The only one that seems to have "come out of the woodwork" is you to white knight for what I can only guess is that you literally have nothing better to do with your time then virtue signal as some self appointed sudo hero. Just to make it clear, whatever deranged fantasy you live in certainly isn't the same as "everyone" else but thanks for yet another laugh at the peanut gallery's expense.
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

Lethal wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Lethal wrote:

I don't think you should be speaking on behalf of anyone other than yourself when you logically can't comprehend the difference between someone complaining about their order not being received in a week and someone simply asking for a reply to a 4 month old email after they waited 2 years. The only one that seems to have "come out of the woodwork" is you to white knight for what I can only guess is that you literally have nothing better to do with your time then virtue signal as some self appointed sudo hero. Just to make it clear, whatever deranged fantasy you live in certainly isn't the same as "everyone" else but thanks for yet another laugh at the peanut gallery's expense.
I have nothing meaningful to contribute to this exchange but I'm bored and have nothing better to do right now so I decided to contribute something shallow and almost utterly meaningless. I believe you want to say "pseudo hero" - as in a person spuriously pretending to be a hero. "SUdo" is a Linux/UNIX half-acronym meaning "Super User does". If I try to interpret this through that lens it comes across as something akin to an actual super hero, but as that's not in keeping with the tone of your response I deduce you meant the other thing. This concludes another pointless interruption, you may now return to the exchange already in progress.
milo22

Post by milo22 »

So uh ....anyone lucky enough to get an N64DIGITAL?
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Out of curiosity, for those that have received their kits most recently, what number on the list were you? Zero issues waiting here, but I’m just curious how much of the list has been completed thus far, as it may not be updated in real time.
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

milo22 wrote:So uh ....anyone lucky enough to get an N64DIGITAL?
I was lucky enough to snag one.
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

bahamutfan64 wrote:Out of curiosity, for those that have received their kits most recently, what number on the list were you? Zero issues waiting here, but I’m just curious how much of the list has been completed thus far, as it may not be updated in real time.
I was trying to find out the exact same. I asked SonicAdvDX just a few posts above this who claimed to have recently received their kit and they've apparently since gone MIA. Coincidently the google doc hasn't been updated since February either.

Makes you wonder if it wasn't just a fake account claiming to have received product so those that have been waiting 2 years stop asking for updates.
bbsan2k

Post by bbsan2k »

Lethal wrote:
bahamutfan64 wrote:Out of curiosity, for those that have received their kits most recently, what number on the list were you? Zero issues waiting here, but I’m just curious how much of the list has been completed thus far, as it may not be updated in real time.
I was trying to find out the exact same. I asked SonicAdvDX just a few posts above this who claimed to have recently received their kit and they've apparently since gone MIA. Coincidently the google doc hasn't been updated since February either.

Makes you wonder if it wasn't just a fake account claiming to have received product so those that have been waiting 2 years stop asking for updates.
I‘m row 110, right after the „big“ 100 bulk order but have not received any update yet.
I also tried to snag a N64 Digital, but wasn‘t able to get one…
TickleMyElmo

Post by TickleMyElmo »

bbsan2k wrote:
Lethal wrote:
I‘m row 110, right after the „big“ 100 bulk order but have not received any update yet.

This is slightly concerning..
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

TickleMyElmo wrote: This is slightly concerning..
And it seems that only 20/100 units from that big order have been fulfilled...although all we can really do is be patient, at this rate Borti will have released his N64Adv2 kit as well, and I'm betting a lot of people will have forcefully requested a refund via PayPal by then...
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

TickleMyElmo wrote:This is slightly concerning..
Only slightly?
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

bbsan2k wrote:
Lethal wrote:

Good to know as I'm right behind you on the list.

The rest of the orders actually being fulfilled is becoming more suspect with every passing day of ignored emails and messages that passes.
ifightdragons

Post by ifightdragons »

I highly encourage anyone still waiting for this, to instantly and forcefully cancel their order and claim a refund via PayPal. Do not wait.

Some people in here have been waiting 5 months (almost half a year) for just an email response to their cancellation requests.
The constant lack of communication and updates is inexcusable, regardless of the unfortunate circumstances.

Let the people who are defending this practice sail into the sunset on their own, and get your money back.

Better, and much more transparent and reliable alternatives will soon be readily available via PixelFX.
The first pre-order sold out quick, but more are coming. Their track record with the PS1Digital and DCDigital speaks for itself.
It will always be hard to get in on the first round of pre-orders, but after a few months, they will be available to anyone who wants them.

Finally, a friendly tip for everyone: Don't risk your money and time by contributing to such group-buy ventures in the future. Let this whole debacle be a lesson on how many things can, and probably will, go wrong.
10mile

Post by 10mile »

Certainly anybody who’s within the 6 month timeframe to get their money back from PayPal should do so. Unfortunately a bunch of us don’t fall in that bucket. So we’ll just have to hope the two spazzes running this thing pull through for us
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

This is what I was starting to say before about "not holding our breath" before I got chewed at by another forum member. I did not mean to insult anybody. At this point in time I am not expecting my money back. That being said I do hope the Turner twins do the right thing. If anything, this was a expensive learning experience. I believe in karma so I'll let the uni/muilti-verse handle it.

I am past the 6 month time frame with PayPal.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Lopenator wrote:
Got a shipping notification today.
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

djc5166 wrote:
Lopenator wrote:
Got a shipping notification today.
Me too.
terzdesign

Post by terzdesign »

I wanted to get on here and post my personal experience thus far on this process. I am right behind that 100 bulk order on the excel sheet. This is neither praise nor rant, just my experience.

I purchased 5 kits back in late 2019.

I requested my refund back in February 2021 for the units I had paid for; since I hadn't heard anything from James in months, I had been waiting on the list for over a year, and N64 digital was just announced. I received no immediate email reply about the refund request. That is until a month later on March 17th that refund request was suddenly granted along with an email saying that I had other options instead of a refund. James wrote "I can send you a full refund. There are some other options too. I have UltraHDMI HW2 kits now, 300 more on the way from Kansas, and 50 units of N64Digital from the launch allocation."

At this point my money had been refunded however James mentioned the alternative, which I was very interested in since he was seemingly confirming he had units on hand and I had waited this long. I was ready to (re)pay if he was ready to ship. I told him that I would go ahead and get a couple of kits for both the ULTRAhdmi and N64Digital (N64 digital coming later since they weren't out yet). We discussed numbers and timeframes. He told me 1 - 4 weeks on the Ultras. I let him know that I was ready to (re)pay if he was ready to ship. This was March 25th. That night he got hit by that Tornado.

Since then I reached out to James once in April and May. He replied to me June 10th stating how devastating the tornado aftermath continues to be. If it's half as bad as it sounds then my heart goes out to the victims. Still, I replied that I had heard he was up and running again, and if so I would pay for the units if he was ready to ship. Since then I've had no reply.

------

It's definitely been an interesting ride to say the least. My personal feelings are that James is trying his best under the circumstances. It would seem that I'm on deck for my units because why else would he be emailing me? Anyway, I hope it works out for everyone on the list one way or another.
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

At least you got your refund. That's good.
thenrz

Post by thenrz »

I feel terrible for these guys. I had been in close to a year for multiple units paid in full, and I received my refund in February. To be honest, this was out of hand long before I ever joined.

Marshall couldn't give less of a sh*t it seems which is just odd to me to leave money on the table. Firmware. Firmware. Firmware. The unit can be updated, so where the hell are the long completed "HW2" units coming into the states on a regular cadence?? It never sat right with me.

I worked in SMT PCBA for a medium sized hobby and light robotics component manufacturer for 8 years, and it's not a difficult process. He had the PCB gerbers to send out, just give us the thickness, finish, and other particulars. I could have sourced stateside PCBs AND PCBA and still made a healthy profit with the almost mythical demand.

I asked so many times to just talk to Marshall after making the recommendation. My cousin is a ridiculously gifted corporate and contract attorney, and I was going to have him draw up an agreement on whatever terms were agrees upon whether licensing or whatever. Marshall wouldn't have had to do a damn thing except keep losing all his free time to masturbatory firmware endeavours...

... And now a superior product with top notch devs based on a homogenized platform will evolve quickly and deprecate even further any need for this. It's an awful situation. No doubt. Can't stop nature, but you sure as hell can stop supporting a product designer who frankly doesn't care and has no intention of fulfilling demand. Good luck everyone.
PULOVR

Post by PULOVR »

Lethal wrote:Waiting 2 years for an undelivered product then expecting some accountability when my emails go ignored for 3+ months is none of those things but by all means keep spindoctoring the situation by virtue signaling.
This is not directed solely at you, but towards all the people in this thread that have been waiting for a response to their refund requests (be it a few weeks, or a few months).

They mentioned in an older post, that as soon as they reach your name (as it's listed on the main list), that they will contact you via email and ask if you want a refund, or... to add in the extra board to your original order, or... to change your original order over to digital (if the digital option is still available). In other words... if you haven't received an email response from them yet, that would mean they haven't reached your name on the list.... and they said that they will not respond to any emails from anyone until they do reach your name.

They said that it was easier for them to do it this way (so they are only dealing with a few people at a time), which makes it far easier for them to go back and track all the emails for that particular person to find out what they want to do.... and then they will confirm with that person if their original choice/decision is still a go, or if they had changed their mind. That could take a few back-and-forth emails for every single person on the list... which would obviously take some time to do.

In other words... it doesn't matter if someone requested a refund last week, or a few months ago... they are not going to respond to that person until they actually reach their name, because it would most likely throw everything they are trying to do out of whack. With 800+ names on the list, I too would have done the same thing if I were in their shoes.

With that said, after reading terzdesign's post (3 posts above mine), we now have a pretty good idea as to where the guys are in terms of the fulfilling orders.
Last edited by PULOVR on Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

That's a highly irresponsible approach, and a totally unreasonable one. And possibly illegal in some jurisdictions.
PULOVR

Post by PULOVR »

They posted this April 30th. (it was added to the very first post)
I apologize that I have been unable to communicate what has been going on since the disaster. I’ve had too many urgent priorities to work on. In the meantime I’ve had some concerning threats, but I totally understand why some people are upset. It’s clear that many (most?) participants still have no idea what has happened and I will try to get the word out. Perhaps I can spend some time to make this update more digestible and set up an email filter + auto responder.

I don't know if they set that up that auto response, because I haven't emailed them about the group buy since last year, but knowing what they have been through recently, I have no problems waiting until they get to my name to confirm any changes/decisions I may have about my original order (and I'm in the 400's the last time I checked).

Btw, I mentioned this a while back.... if I were in charge of this group buy.... if someone on the list had sent in an email requesting a refund, I would just refund them when I got to their name. I wouldn't bother asking them if they wanted to change their order to one of the options mentioned above... I would just refund them. Doing so would (imo) make things go much faster for everyone else waiting on the list.
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

I'm having an issue with In Game Reset with my HW2 board.

It doesn't seem to work.

Everything is installed fine, the menu will come up, IGR is enabled, but the button combo won't reset. (Start, Z, R-Trigger, A, B)

The physical reset button does work. The flex is soldered to pin 27 and looks like that gets grounded when the physical reset button is pressed.

Anyone else having issues with IGR?

https://i.imgur.com/XuOm9Oa.jpg
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

PULOVR wrote:Btw, I mentioned this a while back.... if I were in charge of this group buy.... if someone on the list had sent in an email requesting a refund, I would just refund them when I got to their name. I wouldn't bother asking them if they wanted to change their order to one of the options mentioned above... I would just refund them. Doing so would (imo) make things go much faster for everyone else waiting on the list.
Yes. That would have been the only reasonable thing to do. And as somebody who actually runs a store selling retro gaming products, it does not take long to process a refund, perhaps half a minute. Maybe a few minutes if they're doing it manually. And if they had been issuing the refunds as the requests came in, the amount of work at any given time would have been small. As it stands now, where they've ignored refund requests for months? Perhaps they'd need to sit down for a few hours and do it all in one shot. But that's all it'd take, sitting down for a few hours to plough through all pending refund requests.
flipsideaut

Post by flipsideaut »

"The flex is soldered to pin 27..."

Im still waiting on my UltraHDMI(i have a PAL board), but what i saw shouldn't it be also connected to Pin16 (and Pin27)? - correct me if im wrong please.

Thanks,
BR Flipside
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Guspaz wrote:That's a highly irresponsible approach, and a totally unreasonable one. And possibly illegal in some jurisdictions.
Come off it, there's nothing illegal about how 2 guys handle their own group buy on some silly internet page...