* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:42 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Universal SNES Output Amplifier
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:53 pm 

energizerfellow‌ wrote:
mikechi2 wrote:
Thanks for explaining... I actually had a similar discussion with Rob. The regular PS1 cables with the coupling caps *should* work fine on a PS2. But I think what you'd guys really need is a sync stripper for the PS2 @ 480p and above?

With properly shielded sync-on-luma cables and modern displays/scalers I think most of the issues are solved outside of the PS1's coupling capacitors, no sync strippers needed.

sync on luma doesn't work at 480p and up, the PS2 turns off the luma pin

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:18 pm 

maxtherabbit wrote:
energizerfellow‌ wrote:
mikechi2 wrote:
Thanks for explaining... I actually had a similar discussion with Rob. The regular PS1 cables with the coupling caps *should* work fine on a PS2. But I think what you'd guys really need is a sync stripper for the PS2 @ 480p and above?

With properly shielded sync-on-luma cables and modern displays/scalers I think most of the issues are solved outside of the PS1's coupling capacitors, no sync strippers needed.

Gotcha, so it sounds like from all the discussions what is really needed is a circuit that strips the sync from green as necessary as well as select the correct sync source (stripped green, or CVBS) as appropriate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:27 pm 

maxtherabbit wrote:

Pretty sure the chroma, luma, and CVBS are all cut at once for anything >15khz or in YPbPr mode on the PS2/PS3? But how big is the sync control need, really, when both the gscartsw and OSSC now support SoG/YPbPr and the PVM guys can just hit the sync source button?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:41 pm 

Retro Access was able to solve the PS1/PS2 cable differences by just using higher farad capacitors in the cable. Since I have both consoles, decided to just get one of each since I wanted the lightgun version from Retro Gaming Cables and not deal with the pigtail on Retro Access version of the cable (that I can see myself accidentally tearing off with how I have my console tower currently configured).

Also when Sync on Luma is available, it is always better to go with that over Sync on Composite. There will be less noise issues since less traffic is being sent through the same cable. I can see Mike using SoC here due to the wiring differences between NTSC and PAL (and how the PAL version doesn't have S-Video out).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:10 am 

Dazdigo wrote:
Also when Sync on Luma is available, it is always better to go with that over Sync on Composite. There will be less noise issues since less traffic is being sent through the same cable. I can see Mike using SoC here due to the wiring differences between NTSC and PAL (and how the PAL version doesn't have S-Video out).

since he's stripping the sync on a board located at the multiout, there's no argument against CVBS-as-sync - there's no cable for it to travel through to cause coupling related issues

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:10 am 

energizerfellow‌ wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

Pretty sure the chroma, luma, and CVBS are all cut at once for anything >15khz or in YPbPr mode on the PS2/PS3? But how big is the sync control need, really, when both the gscartsw and OSSC now support SoG/YPbPr and the PVM guys can just hit the sync source button?

true, and a good point

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:13 am 

energizerfellow‌ wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

Luma, chroma, and CVBS are cut for >15kHz when in RGB mode. I imagine chroma and CVBS get cut in YPbPr as well, but not luma, because luma is Y and integral to YPbPr. :)

The main reasons for automatic RGsB->RGBS conversion are so that you don't have to toggle input mode on the OSSC, and to enable the PS2 to continue to operate with SCART equipment when switching to 480p and better video modes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:54 pm 

Which is why the new gscartsw is so appealing. I can't wait to get mine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:18 pm 

mikechi2 wrote:
The regular PS1 cables with the coupling caps *should* work fine on a PS2. But I think what you'd guys really need is a sync stripper for the PS2 @ 480p and above?

Ste did some research on this and found that as long as a much higher rating cap was used, it would be fine in both consoles. I think it was 1000uF instead of 220uF, but I can't remember.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:05 pm 

retrorgb wrote:
mikechi2 wrote:
The regular PS1 cables with the coupling caps *should* work fine on a PS2. But I think what you'd guys really need is a sync stripper for the PS2 @ 480p and above?

Ste did some research on this and found that as long as a much higher rating cap was used, it would be fine in both consoles. I think it was 1000uF instead of 220uF, but I can't remember.

The Retro-Access PS1/2/3 cables were indeed advertised to use 1000uF/1mF caps.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:29 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
retrorgb wrote:
mikechi2 wrote:

It hurts me to hear that 1mF caps are being used. :cry:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:45 pm 

mikechi2 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

Why?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:30 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:
mikechi2 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

Why?

They're big, ugly and prone to leakage (electrically and physically). To me, they should never be used as part of a signal path, and only as a last resort for power supply decoupling. Ceramic MLCCs are usually sufficient for low voltage applications and there are ways to compensate for a smaller coupling capacitor using slightly more complex circuitry.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:07 am 

The 1000uF fix is a workaround that's acceptable at best, as the effective total capacity when used with a PS2 will be less than 220uF.
The problem of course is that you want a multi cable, but one source has coupling caps and the other doesn't.
I don't think there's a better way than the 1000uF workaround.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:10 am 

rama wrote:
The 1000uF fix is a workaround that's acceptable at best, as the effective total capacity when used with a PS2 will be less than 220uF.
The problem of course is that you want a multi cable, but one source has coupling caps and the other doesn't.
I don't think there's a better way than the 1000uF workaround.

SAG correction or AC-coupling to a high input impedance stage, clamping to ground and then driving with a DC amp is the cleanest way to do it and gets rid of the caps.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:16 am 

Quote:
SAG correction or AC-coupling to a high input impedance stage, clamping to ground and then driving with a DC amp is the cleanest way to do it and gets rid of the caps.

Interesting, if it doesn't add too much noise.
I don't know how much the inherent noise of active devices affects these rather low bandwidth signals.
Can you do it noise free? :)

Edit:
And the signals will be DC coupled then? Is this safe?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:10 pm 

I'm guessing this amplifier circuit could be considered universal for everything modern enough to have RGBs, but too old for YPbPr, excluding the Dreamcast/Gamecube, considering most everything uses some combination of cap+resistor? If so, the HD Retrovision guys might be onto something with a transcoder box that's basically a bump in the wire with replaceable console-specific ends.

Speaking of ends, wouldn't a shielded RJ45/RJ50 connector for the console-specific input cable be both mechanically and electrically better than the mini-DIN? Would probably need to use a connector meant for the larger diameter of CAT 6/7/8.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:45 pm 

energizerfellow‌ wrote:
I'm guessing this amplifier circuit could be considered universal for everything modern enough to have RGBs, but too old for YPbPr, excluding the Dreamcast/Gamecube, considering most everything uses some combination of cap+resistor? If so, the HD Retrovision guys might be onto something with a transcoder box that's basically a bump in the wire with replaceable console-specific ends.

Speaking of ends, wouldn't a shielded RJ45/RJ50 connector for the console-specific input cable be both mechanically and electrically better than the mini-DIN? Would probably need to use a connector meant for the larger diameter of CAT 6/7/8.

Yes indeed - although for generic usage, you could drop the current biasing circuit. That's only needed for the PAL SNES.

Offline Profile