Gamecube Non-Invasive Region Mod Switch? AC Adapter?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dragon89o

Gamecube Non-Invasive Region Mod Switch? AC Adapter?

Post by Dragon89o »

So I'm looking to region my my Gamecube but I need to find somewhere that is selling a switch like the one linked below. The link to the parts seems to not be valid. My goal is to be able to region mod my gamecube with a switch that doesn't require me to cut into the case of my Gamecube.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/wordpress/wp- ... -filed.jpg
Original Source
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/game-cube-region-switch/

Secondly does anyone know if I need to use a power adapter for my Japanese consoles? The power standards seem to be different even though the plug type is the same. Japan seems to be 100 volts where North America is 120 volts. The consoles of concern would be my Super Famicom, Japanese Orange Spice Gamecube, and Japanese Original Xbox.
citrus3000psi

Re: Gamecube Non-Invasive Region Mod Switch? AC Adapter?

Post by citrus3000psi »

This part works nice: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/101720

Just use an american gamecube power supply and you will be fine.
leonk

Post by leonk »

I think you’re approaching the GC the wrong way. A region switch has flaws you need to be aware of:

- bios will be all in english or all in Japanese
- you will need 2 sets of memory cards. Memory cards are region locked

A better solution is modchip on the DVD drive. I change all the Jap consoles into USA mod (by moving 1 resistor) and then install Xeno GC on the drive. Everything works. Everything in English. One set of memory cards. No silly switch.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

leonk wrote:- you will need 2 sets of memory cards. Memory cards are region locked
^This right here screwed me up pretty bad. I brought my GC to a Soul Calibur 2 party this one time, I had the JPN version of the game at that time playing on my region modded GC. At some point in the night, someone figured they'd put in their US copy of Smash Bros Melee while the switch was set to Japan region.

They mashed through the prompts at boot-up and ended up formatting my memory card! I only had a handful of game saves on there, but my SC2 had nearly 100% unlocked content...I was so pissed off.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

leonk wrote:I think you’re approaching the GC the wrong way. A region switch has flaws you need to be aware of:

A better solution is modchip on the DVD drive. I change all the Jap consoles into USA mod (by moving 1 resistor) and then install Xeno GC on the drive. Everything works. Everything in English. One set of memory cards. No silly switch.
woah hold on - you're saying I can stick a JP game in my US cube (w/xeno gc) and save to my US memory card from the JP game without issue?

I always assumed it would only save to the JP formatted card so I never tried...
leonk

Post by leonk »

yea. that’s exactly what I’m telling you as your GC will be converted to USA GC.

Only difference between the 2 motherboards is a resistor location . The modchip will allow JPN games to boot. If you don’t care about JPN games, then move resistor over and you’re done. A USA gamecube in a JPN shell
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

leonk wrote:yea. that’s exactly what I’m telling you as your GC will be converted to USA GC.

Only difference between the 2 motherboards is a resistor location . The modchip will allow JPN games to boot. If you don’t care about JPN games, then move resistor over and you’re done. A USA gamecube in a JPN shell
I have a US gamecube with an unmodified mobo and a xeno gc on the dvd drive
Spacemonkey

Post by Spacemonkey »

The only thing I don't like about using a xeno only (console set in US mode), is that on some Japanese games the text will be messed up.
I can barely read Katakana so it should not have bothered me but it did.

One game I remember it being an issue is the Dr. Mario on the compilation disc, Puzzle collection? can't remember the name.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Correct, modchips and Freeloader don't toggle the region jumper.
Whether it's good or bad depends on the situation. Overall though a positive if you have a Japanese system, a negative if you have a US system.

Normally the bios language (not the game disc region) determines the memory card format.
If for example, you play a JP game on a US console, the memory card remains US formatted. Most games ignore this and will save/load without apparent issue (except for the inability to be read by JP consoles).

But some JP games must be played in JP bios mode in order to save properly. I don't know if non-Japanese versions of the affected games save fine on a JP system.

US or JP versions of Star Fox Adventures also use the bios to set the subtitle language.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

theclaw wrote:Most games ignore this and will save/load without apparent issue (except for the inability to be read by JP consoles).

But some JP games must be played in JP bios mode in order to save properly. I don't know if non-Japanese versions of the affected games save fine on a JP system.
thanks, that's the info I was looking for - so most JP games save ok, but some require JP bios/formatted MC
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Swiss automatically patch games to use the right text encoding for that game. You can also manually choose.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Extrems wrote:Swiss automatically patch games to use the right text encoding for that game. You can also manually choose.
Cool. Quite a few games act funny. F-Zero GX is one of the most interesting.
TestType

Post by TestType »

leonk wrote:- you will need 2 sets of memory cards. Memory cards are region locked
Minor correction but I want this to be totally clear before anyone imports a memory card from Japan to play Japanese games:
Like every GameCube accessory, memory cards are not region locked. You do however need to format the memory card specifically for Japanese games, and Japanese and US games cannot co-exist on the same card.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

TestType wrote:
Minor correction but I want this to be totally clear before anyone imports a memory card from Japan to play Japanese games:
Like every GameCube accessory, memory cards are not region locked. You do however need to format the memory card specifically for Japanese games, and Japanese and US games cannot co-exist on the same card.
You see, when using a modchip or Freeloader, the bios language encoding is not changed.
This means the console can still only read/write to US formatted memory cards.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

leonk wrote:yea. that’s exactly what I’m telling you as your GC will be converted to USA GC.

This made me look up the method used to perform a region switch mod.

In the tutorials they simply bridge the unused jumper with the switch to change regions
I feel it would be more correct to remove the resistor and add one to the switch centre pin and the outside pins to either resistor pads active pad.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Syntax wrote:

This made me look up the method used to perform a region switch mod.

In the tutorials they simply bridge the unused jumper with the switch to change regions
I feel it would be more correct to remove the resistor and add one to the switch centre pin and the outside pins to either resistor pads active pad.
Follow the traces on the board. IIRC you can temporarily insert wires into the holes to bridge them, changing the region without permanent modification.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

theclaw wrote:
TestType wrote:
You see, when using a modchip or Freeloader, the bios language encoding is not changed.
This means the console can still only read/write to US formatted memory cards.
so then, it's not the GAME region that cares about the memory card it's only the BIOS region?

i.e. regardless of the region of the game being played, as long as it boots it will save to any memory card that the motherboard/BIOS can r/w?
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Yes, but Mr. Driller and Donkey Konga are known to have issues. Radirgy as well.

Were a game to succeed in formatting the memory card to Japanese, you'd find that its data won't be recognized by the console's memory manager.

I'm not aware of a GC homebrew utility that can move/copy/erase files on a different region memory card from the BIOS.
Although such a feature is important for Swiss to have, assuming it doesn't already.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Man, Gamecube sounds like a pain in the ass.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Man, Gamecube sounds like a pain in the ass.
In that case buy a Japanese Gamecube. If you think the Swiss encoding option is inconvenient. Few US games appear significantly affected by the Japanese BIOS.

The issue with Star Fox Adventures is avoidable by playing the PAL version (it won't display Japanese text), at least until an AR code to override the language is discovered.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I'm not interested enough in Gamecube or that era of games to care. I can count the number of Gamecube games I liked on my hands.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

theclaw wrote:The issue with Star Fox Adventures is avoidable by playing the PAL version (it won't display Japanese text), at least until an AR code to override the language is discovered.
FYI, this work because the SDK function look for both an NTSC video mode and the NTSC-J bit.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Extrems wrote:
theclaw wrote:The issue with Star Fox Adventures is avoidable by playing the PAL version (it won't display Japanese text), at least until an AR code to override the language is discovered.
FYI, this work because the SDK function look for both an NTSC video mode and the NTSC-J bit.
Well I'm not familiar with the SDK.

Following up on what I was getting at earlier... let me ask a question, if you don't mind.
Is there a Japanese memory card manager for PAL consoles?
I presume saving a game played using the Swiss encoding option causes the memory card to be formatted Japanese.
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

citrus3000psi wrote:This part works nice: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/101720

Just use an american gamecube power supply and you will be fine.
So I actually order that probably a couple hours after your post. I'v just been a bit busy to respond.

The switches came pretty quickly but they are quite a bit significantly smaller then the one in the guide. They will obviously still work but the switch would barely stick out of the vents to switch in either direction. Is there possibly a larger switch they sell that would be easier to switch on and off?

I linked the image below to try and give perspective hoe small they are. If you look at the one I tilted sideways it should give a good idea how little the switch would be when installed on the inside and how little would stick out.

https://imgur.com/a/RjSIV5z

I didn't even think about the gamecube's power supply being external that is pretty cool. So I wouldn't be risking anything using an American GC powersupply on a Japanese gamecube?
leonk wrote:I think you’re approaching the GC the wrong way. A region switch has flaws you need to be aware of:

So the issue is I don't actually know anyone locally who is capable of doing modchip installs but I know a local store who does the region switch. Also I plan to have a few gamecubes so I won't need a modchip in each one. Some will not need to be switched back even so the saved data issue shouldn't be an issue but thanks for the information on the memory card aspect.

Also what about a Japanese PS2 and Original Xbox and plugging them in? Am I better off just buying an American PS2 and American Xbox and taking off the Japanese shells and putting them on the American internals? That way I have the desired looks with out having to use a power converter all the time?
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Use the Gamecube power supply for the country you're located in.
A 70000 PS2 power supply is universal, a plug adapter will do. Other models are internal like Xbox.

Usually Japanese game systems tolerate 120V. Opinions vary about how long that's safe.

Unless you want a Japanese exclusive shell color, there's going to be little difference in how they look.

An Xbox without any hardware mods, can have a permanent softmod installed to play imports, backups, and homebrew.
This is not the case for PS2 or Gamecube. (they'll need a memory card and/or boot disc)
Though the original Xbox HDD is terribly small.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

theclaw wrote:An Xbox without any hardware mods, can have a permanent softmod installed to play imports, backups, and homebrew.
This is not the case for PS2 or Gamecube. (they'll need a memory card and/or boot disc)
Though the original Xbox HDD is terribly small.
The original Xbox also has the benefit of being able to run both PAL and NTSC games regardless of region. I have a softmodded v1.0, and it plays PAL-region games as if they were NTSC.

Once you've softmodded, you can swap the HDD with a larger unit. If you have a version of the Xbox that can have its BIOS reflashed, there's software that will essentially (I don't recall the details) disable the HDD locking altogether, letting you swap in a new disk. The older, riskier alternative involves swapping the old and new HDDs between the Xbox and a spare PC booted with Xbox HDM. Either way, it can be done.

PS2 normally needs a memory card (FreeMcBoot) or a boot disc (swap magic, etc), but there is also FreeHddBoot, which can be cloned to a hard disk (I strongly recommend fitting one of these to an official network adapter and get a SATA disk; will be faster and quieter) and requires neither a memory card nor boot disc to load. Might also be possible to have both FreeHddBoot and a hacked version of the regular HDD software installed, but don't quote me; I haven't looked into that in a while.

Do keep in mind that, in the context of the PS2, NTSC games can have NTSC-specific assets, and PAL games will have PAL-specific assets, and, while I believe the PS2 will run both correctly (might need a dual-frequency oscillator fitted; I don't recall if it has the same problem as the original PlayStation), both will look and run incorrectly if forced to the other region; so, if you're going to go multi-region with your PS2, you'll need a display that can handle both NTSC and PAL video modes (and, again, might need a DFO).

The GameCube has the ability to run Swiss, which can boot games from an SD card in a memory card shim, and others have said it can force game and memory card regions; however, I think if you don't have a modchip installed, you'll need something like a XenoGC and a boot disc, plus a WiiKey or clone or whatever, to get started. Unfortunately, as I understand it, the NTSC and PAL GameCubes use different hardware; so if you want to go cross-format, you might need two GameCubes.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

I don't know what happens when an NTSC Xbox tries to play a 50hz-only game.
50hz can't be selected on the NTSC MS dash.
I'm also not sure if NTSC/PAL color encoding is switchable with a softmod on Xbox.

A PAL PS2 playing original PAL PS2 games, uses NTSC color at 60hz and PAL color at 50hz.
Makes me suspect the oscillator shouldn't be an issue. But out-of-region PS1 games have issues with the video mode.

While NTSC Gamecube has incorrect color encoding at 50hz, in practice it's rarely a problem.
I've never heard of a GCN game that really doesn't like forced 60hz. (or maybe you're weird and still own a TV utterly without 60hz capability? :roll:)
If all else fails a component cable can fix 50hz. It seems to me an internal mod has yet to be discovered.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

So the only games that have an issue with cross region saving are

Kururin Squash: The main text is displayed in ASCII. However, game saves fine and is playable.
Donkey Konga 1-3: The games won't save. Game is playable.
Mr Drillier: Drill land: The games won't save. Game is playable.
F-ZERO GX (JP): Missing graphics, but there is a Action Replay code to fix problem.

Those games need to be played on a Japanese Bios. None of those titles are 2 cds hey?
I think I have an idea...
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

theclaw wrote:I don't know what happens when an NTSC Xbox tries to play a 50hz-only game.
50hz can't be selected on the NTSC MS dash.
I'm also not sure if NTSC/PAL color encoding is switchable with a softmod on Xbox.
1. It runs the game at 60Hz. It doesn't force 50Hz like the PS2 or Dreamcast will.
2. Correct. In order to use 50Hz, you need to change your console's video region to PAL using a specific piece of software that escapes me at the moment. That will allow your NTSC-region console to output at 576i at 50Hz, with the option of supporting PAL60; however, that completely locks you out of 480p, 720p, and 1080i.
3. It's only switchable in the sense that you can change the video region as I mentioned, but there's no independent color encoding setting; as I understand it, it'll use NTSC color encoding when the video region is NTSC, and PAL encoding when the video region is PAL.
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

theclaw wrote:Usually Japanese game systems tolerate 120V. Opinions vary about how long that's safe.
So should I simply plug in my Japanese xbox into the wall and when it runs into an issue down the line deal with it then or should I just deal with it now? Also does that cause any type of hazard doing this? I don't typically like messing with electrical stuff since I'v had a cord ignite on me.
theclaw wrote:Unless you want a Japanese exclusive shell color, there's going to be little difference in how they look.
Yeah, I'v already imported a skeleton black xbox which was exclusive to Japan. It will probably by the only Japanese xbox that I'll import but I may import 1-2 Japanese PS2 due to exclusive colorways.
Now should I simply take the shell off and put it on an American PS2/Xbox or should I try and simply replace the internal power supply with an American power supply? That way I'm kind of keeping it as original as possible but just making it so I don't need to use a power adapter when it's plugged in. Also if I go for the later how difficult would it be to only change the power supply of a xbox or ps2?

As for the gamecubes I'll probably important another 1-2 Japanese gamecubes (exclusive shells) and I already have one but luckly like y'all have mentioned I can simply replace the gamecube powersupply so that solves the majority of my imported consoles of that generation.

So what about other consoles like the SNES? The power brick also seems like it's external so I could simply replace the power supply for that as well and have no issues?