Gamecube Non-Invasive Region Mod Switch? AC Adapter?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nmalinoski

Re: Gamecube Non-Invasive Region Mod Switch? AC Adapter?

Post by nmalinoski »

Dragon89o wrote:Now should I simply take the shell off and put it on an American PS2/Xbox or should I try and simply replace the internal power supply with an American power supply? That way I'm kind of keeping it as original as possible but just making it so I don't need to use a power adapter when it's plugged in.
As I understand it, the cases can differ between models, so I believe you'll need to get a North American PS2 of a similar model. For example, if your Japanese PS2 is an SCPH-39000, you'll want to track down an SCPH-39001 to ensure that the internals fit your Japanese case properly.

Alternatively, just put both PS2s out; display your fancy Japanese model, and let the North American one take all the abuse.
Dragon89o wrote:So what about other consoles like the SNES? The power brick also seems like it's external so I could simply replace the power supply for that as well and have no issues?
I believe the SNES had the same power requirements across regions, but each region seemed to use its own size of barrel plug; so you might want to look into barrel plug adapters, or get one of those wall warts that has interchangeable barrel plugs.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Back to the question on hand.

I just made a non invasive region mod for the Gamecube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlr5iF_VLp4

It uses an LM339n comparator. There's probably something single channel much smaller but i had one of these handy.

You region mod your GC to be Jap then install this and whenever you power the system holding reset it will load the Jap bios.
Id imagine it will be a pain to get working with Jap multi cds titles as you cant really hold in reset when loading the next cd, and from what I read the system checks on every cd load.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Syntax wrote:So the only games that have an issue with cross region saving are

Kururin Squash: The main text is displayed in ASCII. However, game saves fine and is playable.
Donkey Konga 1-3: The games won't save. Game is playable.
Mr Drillier: Drill land: The games won't save. Game is playable.
F-ZERO GX (JP): Missing graphics, but there is a Action Replay code to fix problem.

Those games need to be played on a Japanese Bios. None of those titles are 2 cds hey?
I think I have an idea...
Rockman EXE Transmission has unreadable dialogue.
Radirgy won't save.
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

nmalinoski wrote: As I understand it, the cases can differ between models, so I believe you'll need to get a North American PS2 of a similar model. For example, if your Japanese PS2 is an SCPH-39000, you'll want to track down an SCPH-39001 to ensure that the internals fit your Japanese case properly.
Awesome, that is a good tip I'll have to look into that more but what about attempting to swap the power supply? So that it would still be a Japanese PS2 but with an American power supply? Is that something that would be possible?
nmalinoski wrote: Alternatively, just put both PS2s out; display your fancy Japanese model, and let the North American one take all the abuse.
Well I'm actually wanting them both functional.

nmalinoski wrote: I believe the SNES had the same power requirements across regions, but each region seemed to use its own size of barrel plug; so you might want to look into barrel plug adapters, or get one of those wall warts that has interchangeable barrel plugs.
That is some good advice I'll have to look into that.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Spacemonkey wrote:The only thing I don't like about using a xeno only (console set in US mode), is that on some Japanese games the text will be messed up.
I can barely read Katakana so it should not have bothered me but it did.

One game I remember it being an issue is the Dr. Mario on the compilation disc, Puzzle collection? can't remember the name.
First example I thought it too even though someone stole my copy of NPC with my AR/Freeloader and entire GC collection back in 2004. :(
Syntax wrote:Back to the question on hand.

I just made a non invasive region mod for the Gamecube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlr5iF_VLp4

It uses an LM339n comparator. There's probably something single channel much smaller but i had one of these handy.

You region mod your GC to be Jap then install this and whenever you power the system holding reset it will load the Jap bios.
Id imagine it will be a pain to get working with Jap multi cds titles as you cant really hold in reset when loading the next cd, and from what I read the system checks on every cd load.
Maybe the lid sensor could be used in some way? ...or hot-plugging a controller?
RetroBVM

Post by RetroBVM »

Or you wait for this https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.ph ... /?pageNo=1 :mrgreen: I think it is all you asked for and, if I understand it right, it is switchless.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I'm not even using that comparator mod because Swiss does everything for you automatically
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

citrus3000psi wrote:This part works nice: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/101720

Just use an american gamecube power supply and you will be fine.
Hey, so I bought this I think with in the day of you posting this. It fits but it's a quite a bit smaller then I was originally wanting. Do you know of a model number for this exact switch but a tad larger? The one that was used in the guide and on the youtube video was larger but you had to kind of sand it down a bit for it to fit but it stuck out further to easily be able to switch regions.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Syntax wrote:I'm not even using that comparator mod because Swiss does everything for you automatically
USB flashing the Qoob Pro is finicky (it doesn't ship with a DOL loader on its internal memory).
If I'm going to take your suggestion, I'd like to be able to use Swiss on Japanese discs without a boot disc.