Converter to play DVI-D devices on a CRT?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lawfer

Converter to play DVI-D devices on a CRT?

Post by Lawfer »

Something that will convert DVI-D to Component YPbPr, RGBs or RGsB?
svensonson

Re: Converter to play DVI-D devices on a CRT?

Post by svensonson »

corio2 devices for example
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

svensonson wrote:corio2 devices for example
That?

https://www.avacab-online.com/TVONE-C2- ... er-PLUS/en
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

HDFury 2 or 3. They aren't perfect, but they are pure transcoders and sell for peanuts now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... _PrefLoc=3

Unless you want to downscale to 15kHz? In which case yeah Corio2 machines are the cheapest option. There's a thread by Dochartaigh down below.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Xer Xian wrote:HDFury 2 or 3. They aren't perfect, but they are pure transcoders and sell for peanuts now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... _PrefLoc=3
What's not perfect about them? I am not trying to downscale or upscale, but rather instead just want to change DVI-D to YPbPr, RGBs or RGsB.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I briefly tested the HDFury 2 here (scroll down). I found it loses a little bit of sharpness (which you will hardly notice on a CRT) and adds a minor shift to the black and white levels/range. I think I've read that the Fury 3 and 4 retained the same DAC as the 2, so they will probably behave the same. Not sure though, I had a Fury 4 but only evaluated it as a scaler.

Oh, remember these only transcode to RGB with separate sync and component.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Xer Xian wrote:Oh, remember these only transcode to RGB with separate sync and component.
Meaning? RGBs (4 wires) and YPbPr (3 wires)?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

RGBHV (or vga if you want) and Ypbpr..
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Lawfer wrote:I am not trying to downscale or upscale, but rather instead just want to change DVI-D to YPbPr, RGBs or RGsB.
Ultimately you're going to need a DAC, but I don't think you're going to find an all-in-one device that will simply transcode DVI to any of those formats. The only device remotely what you're asking for that comes to mind is the Extron IN1508, which has a DVI-D input and outputs your choice of RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB, or YPbPr, but at the cost of forcing everything through a scaler (cannot be turned off), and thus lag and picture degredation.

I'm thinking you'll need a passive DVI->HDMI adapter, something like the Portta HDMI to VGA converter to take it to RGBHV (I'm not sure how well a DVI->VGA adapter like this will work, but you can give it a shot), plus an RGB interface like the Extron 201/202/203 rxi to bring the RGBHV to your choice of RGBHV, RGBS, and/or RGsB.

If you additionally want to transcode to YPbPr, you're going to need a 4x BNC to SCART adapter/cable to run RGBS from the RGB interface into a ShinyBow SB-2840 (which only handles 240p, 480i, and 480p), or a 4x/5x BNC<->VGA adapter/cable and an Audio Authority 9A65 (also limited to 240p/480i/480p), or maybe you can rig up a BNC->female DIN adapter for HD Retrovision's Genesis cable (assuming that will be cheaper and/or handles >480p).
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

DVI-D is the same signal as HDMI video. The above method of using a HDMI to DVI-D cable plus one of the many HDMI to VGA (or component) DACs will work fine. Keep in mind that the DAC likely needs an external source of power. DVI does have +5V present on pin 14, but I don't know if all (any?) cables wire that to pin 18 on the HDMI side, which is likely how the adapter-less DACs receive power.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

If it's a high resolution source, you might consider a scan converter for 480i output. The Corio2 does do 480i, but Extron VSC scan converters are easier to use and they do a good job.

You'll need a DAC first.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Xer Xian wrote:RGBHV (or vga if you want)
I can't use that, it's either RGBs or YPbPr.