Playstation 1 (PSX / PS1) Graphics Issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
flex

Playstation 1 (PSX / PS1) Graphics Issue

Post by flex »

Hi Guys,

I'm new here but I can see there are some pretty clued up people here so hoping someone can help me troubleshoot an issue with a PS1 SCPH-5552 model I have here, it was working perfectly until all of a sudden the graphics glitched out during gameplay. After resetting It would appear there are lines down most of the graphics and odd blocks of colour e.g. top right. I have ruled out the power supply and the laser being an issue as I bought a replacement unit of the same model and transplanted my mod chip across from this one and tested the motherboard with the laser and psu from the other unit and the issue persists.

I have uploaded a videos to youtube of the issue here:

https://youtu.be/TSP0bNjSApo

I am fairly competent with a soldering iron and doing my own mods / repairs etc. but need some help in trying to work out which component might be at fault. Is it likely to be a capacitor or something else?

Thanks in advance.
rama

Re: Playstation 1 (PSX / PS1) Graphics Issue

Post by rama »

That looks like the VRAM failed.
It could also be broken traces or a GPU failure, but with these consoles, I only ever hear of the VRAM chip itself being bad.

If you can't find anything by visual inspection, try changing this IC. It's the memory chip next to the GPU.
flex

Post by flex »

rama wrote:That looks like the VRAM failed.
It could also be broken traces or a GPU failure, but with these consoles, I only ever hear of the VRAM chip itself being bad.

If you can't find anything by visual inspection, try changing this IC. It's the memory chip next to the GPU.
Excellent thanks. A good place to start! I have visually inspected the board and nothing was sticking out at me although it was quite sticky in places and I suspect in a previous life it had some drink e.g. cola spilt inside it. I've cleaned everything up with some isopropanol alcohol. I will try that chip and let you know how I get on !
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

rama wrote:That looks like the VRAM failed.
Agreed. It looks like a hardware failure inside the PSX. They are cheap enough that you should not spend time trying to fix this one. Just find a replacement on craigslist, etc.

Also, learn how to properly hold your phone when taking videos. Vertical aspect ratio videos are the work of the devil. :twisted:
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications