Help with Mitsu ??37?? Presentation monitor RGBHV TTL

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Trashnomancer

Help with Mitsu ??37?? Presentation monitor RGBHV TTL

Post by Trashnomancer »

Greetings all,

This is my first post. I joined after many hours of looking for a solution to my current problem(opportunity?).

I purchased an old 37" Mitusbishi presentation monitor, overlooking the fact that it does not accept YPbPr. On the up side it does accept RGBHV and seems to have at least 800 TVL. All the info labels are missing, I took it apart with the hopes it had info inside, but no...

I have looked around a fair bit trying to find a solid solution that would allow me to convert YPbPr to RGBHV(VGA) without lag and well maintaining scan lines. Most of the solutions I have run across do not support 240p. What would you suggest as a best practice answer? Easiest answer? Cheapest answer?

Also this CRT accepts TTL input, do you know if anyone has done TTL conversions on any consoles? What can I do with a TTL input?

My main interests as far as console hookup would be NES, SNES, and PS2. But ideally all SD consoles. And maybe some HD depending on the TVs capabilities.

I was hoping to experiment with VGA from a PC too but with no info on the TV I feel a little hesitant to feed it signal.

Anyone have any idea what model this TV might be? And where I might find a manual for it? I can only find much newer models.

Thank you all for your time.
svensonson

Re: Help with Mitsu ??37?? Presentation monitor RGBHV TTL

Post by svensonson »

Most probably it`s the 31khz only Mitsu Monitor. What other connections does it have?
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I would use an OSSC.

It allows you to completely blank a line for even scanlines or slowly blend 2 vertical lines to lighten scanlines.

240p devices that do not support higher resolutions are not able to customise their scanlines intensities and are stuck with whatever the grill between phosophers they were created with.

It also converts comp / RGB / HV into DVI which can be fed into RGBHV through a cheap DAC.

. There should be a model tag on the back of the neck next to the connections.

A model # would determine your final options.
Copyright 1987
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Hoagtech wrote:I would use an OSSC.
It also converts comp / RGB / HV into DVI which can be fed into RGBHV through a cheap DAC.
"comp" here meaning YPbPr component, and not composite video; it'll do all of YPbPr, RGsB, RGBS, and RGBHV. The models up to 1.5 output DVI, while 1.6 models (the latest as of writing) output HDMI and DVI over HDMI.

And, yes, you can use a cheap HDMI to VGA converter, but stick to active converters. I believe the current recommendations are still the Portta and Tendak converters, as they do not crush blacks like other, cheaper converters.
Trashnomancer

Post by Trashnomancer »

Ok. I took the back off the beast again and looked around. The model number was on a sticker attached to one of the logic chips.

It is a XC3716c. Anyone ever see a manual for one of these?

It accepts component(two inputs), S-video, RGBHV and RGBcs(RGBs) via BNC, Then it has a port labeled Analog 2 with a 15pin D connector(I assume VGA?) and a TTL port with 9 pins.

My only other experience is with a PVM 1353MD. So this is a whole lot of new to me.

I wrote down all the other board numbers well I was in there. I figured it might be useful to compare to other Mitsu's.

Tube sticker
M89LAK213X
SF00109
E58966
LR42053

Coil sticker
CP330P50801
95F09

Power Board
CP210A532T10

PCB-Video
CT920B11301.4

Other board...
CP210A534M10
rama

Post by rama »

Component to RGBHV is possible with gbs-control, using source pass-through / sync lock.
This mode processes any kind of sync into H/V at 3.3V LVTTL with source timings.
Video is sampled, converted to RGB and then output.
The output is available on a common VGA connector.
The solution is very flexible, since the sampling and sync processing parameters are programmable.

You'll have to build the device yourself but it's cheap (about $30) and powerful.
https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control
Trashnomancer

Post by Trashnomancer »

So, finding some info...

37 Mitsubishi MegaView 37 (XC-3716C) 1280x1024 75 Hz 15-39.5 Khz .85 40-120 Hz

Max Sync Rate (V x H): 120 Hz x 85 kHz
Factory Preset Resolution Modes: 1280 x 1024 / 75 Hz

Mitsubishi; Mitsubishi MegaView 37 (XC3716); mel3716; 15.0-39.5; 40.0-120.0; 0
(not sure about what this one means... the site suggests that it is a 15kHz compatible monitor)

I sure wish I could find a service manual.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Just plug in your consoles into the BNC ports like you did with your PVM before. :wink:
It does 15khz. Actually it`s a trisync monitor. Just play around with it for some time and you`ll find out man
Trashnomancer

Post by Trashnomancer »

Thank you all for your responses.

I have tried plugging in YPbPr into it via BCN and got no response. The GBS sounds like a great solution for that issue. I see no mention of scan line generation with the upscaling, I am guessing I would need to buy a scan line generator to add onto the GBS?

I will order up one of these to play with it. Sure would solve many hook up problems in one smooth move. One odd question, it will not interfere with lightguns will it?

How does the GBS compare to the OSSC?

What is the best way to get HDMI to VGA?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

GBS has pretty good scan line generation if you mod it.

If you run GBS and a CRT there's less lag than OSSC and a LCD.

The image between the two is comparable also.

OSSC beats the GBS on an LCD as far as image quality goes.
xga

Post by xga »

The Mitusbishi Megaview 37 aka XC-3716C is a RGB monitor and a great one at that. It is definitely capable of 15KHz and supports composite, s-video, analogue RGB and TTL RGB. The XC-3716C came out in the early nineties before component video was a standard. The highest resolution it will do in interlaced is 1024 x 768 and 800 x 600 non-interlaced.

I would highly recommend that you use your NES and SNES via RGB with this monitor.

If you want to use your PS2 via component, then I would recommend one of the Extron component to RGB converters.

VGA can be used on both the ANALOG 1 and ANALOG 2 inputs. ANALOG 1 just needs a BNC to DE-15 adaptor and ANALOG 2 needs a DA-15 to DE-15 adaptor.

I do have a hard copy of the user manual for the XC-3715C (almost exactly the same as the XC-3716C, main difference is the case is white), however I have never been able to track down the service manual for the XC-371xC series of monitors and would pay good money for one.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I should be able to answer them for you.

Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

Mitsubishi Megaview line will only wrk with pure Composite Sync, at TTL voltage level (despite manual saying otherwise and with termination switch set either way, at least on the BNCs). So you need an LM1881 circuit.
Analog 2 has some pins specifically dedicated to Composite Sync/Hsync and Vsync at TTL and 75R levels, I have yet to try the 75R sync on the 75R pins so I can't say on these (I use analog2 with TTL pins for a VGA cable.)

Also, RGB TTL DB9 input is only for very old CGA computers.
nissling

Post by nissling »

I believe a similar monitor was used in The Wizard (the infamous Power Glove scene), though this one is probably a bit newer.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Somebody on Reddit found and was nice enough to share the service manual:

https://archive.org/details/mitsubishi- ... ice-manual

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... th_my_main