Botched NES RGB install help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bboudreaux28

Botched NES RGB install help

Post by bboudreaux28 »

Hi. I've attempted to install Tim Worthington's NES RGB kit into my NES frontloader. I messed it up pretty bad (but I learned a lot so I suppose that's good).

When desoldering the PPU, I broke some of the legs and pulled a trace. The broken legs were only about halfway broken off, and they still made connection (to the top of the through hole), so I soldered as usual. The trace I pulled corresponded to to pin 19 on the PPU, so I ran a wire to where the trace was going. In other words, despite a few setbacks, I didn't believe the install to be ruined.

I wired everything up according to the diagram, using the RGB connector and 3.5mm audio connector supplied with the board. I hooked it up to my OSSC through this cable and nothing happened. The OSSC wasn't even getting sync, so I thought maybe the wire for sync wasn't making a good connection, or maybe even the board wasn't being powered. However I plugged in a pair of headphones to the audio connector and I couldn't even get any game sounds, however I did hear the expected audio "pop" when powering on the system.

So I have two questions:

(1) from reading this is there anything that may have "jumped out" at you to be the problem? I feel that to have an entirely non-working install means something is entirely wrong (at which point I can just move on with my life) or there may be just some very important component that is not making connection.

(2) Assuming I'm not able to salvage this install myself, does anyone have any recommendations for someone who I could send the system for troubleshooting? (And be paid, of course). I know that Voultar is usually the person recommended for this, but he seems to be a very busy guy, and I would rather not bother him with fixing my crappy work.

Thanks a bunch,

Blake

EDIT: I got the NESRGB working, however there is an slight audio buzz that gets louder and louder for about 30 minutes, and then it will lose power for a second, resetting the game. Is this because I'm not using an official NES power adapter? Or is something more serious going on?