OSSC auto switch to HV or component

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hoagtech

OSSC auto switch to HV or component

Post by Hoagtech »

My goal is to turn my TV ON and turn my console power ON and see an image.

Is that possible to display OSSC VGA, or Component by turning on the console's power switch?

This scenario would be great for people who want to play my collection without hunting down the video switch legend
Copyright 1987
nmalinoski

Re: OSSC auto switch to HV or component

Post by nmalinoski »

Automatic input switching was requested in the OSSC Feature Requests subforum on VGP, although it is not a scheduled improvement.

There is a custom firmware with automatic input switching, but it's based on an older firmware.

In general, it would be simple to figure out which input (AV1, AV2, or AV3) has sync, and which format it is (RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB/YPbPr) based on which line has sync. The only part that might not work is detection between RGsB and YPbPr, as they have the same electrical specification (I've posited that it may be possible to determine between them by watching the voltages at rest, but no one seemed interested); so I believe that custom firmware was set up to default to YPbPr on AV2 and RGsB on the others, and there might be an override setting as well.

The alternative is to use additional hardware to convert signals to something like RGBS or YPbPr (depending on preference) and feed that into a single input on the OSSC.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I bought some auto switching component boxes from audio authority

I have the bandbridge scart auto switches for my scart.

I own the component to RGBHV audio authority box for feeding my auto switch into dsub.

I have 2 questions towards automatic switching:

1. Can I feed 15khz scart into my AV3 d sub input on my ossc?

2. Which automatic dsub switch do I need to buy for my dsub 15 connections?

My goal is to power all my scart/component/VGA into one input so all I have to do is turn on the console and my image will show up one input.
Copyright 1987
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Hoagtech wrote:I bought some auto switching component boxes from audio authority

I own the component to RGBHV audio authority box for feeding my auto switch into dsub.

My goal is to power all my scart/component/VGA into one input so all I have to do is turn on the console and my image will show up one input.
1) yes but you will only get 95MHz LPF, no lower
2) extron SW2/4/6 are all good to go
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:I bought some auto switching component boxes from audio authority

I Currently have 5 D sub 15 pin devices and I would like 8-16 d sub inputs to work with. Is there a bigger model and or can I daisy chain them?

And is does the auto switch detect power on input or do you have to press an "auto" button to sense?
Copyright 1987
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Hoagtech wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

I Currently have 5 D sub 15 pin devices and I would like 8-16 d sub inputs to work with. Is there a bigger model and or can I daisy chain them?

And is does the auto switch detect power on input or do you have to press an "auto" button to sense?
I'm pretty sure they do make larger VGA switches, like crosspoint size, but I don't know the models offhand. A bigger switch would be preferable to daisy chaining. The auto "just works" it switches by detecting sync pulses and you don't have to press anything
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:

My understanding is that AV3 requires TTL sync, and SCART isn't. Plus, why would you want to feed SCART into AV3, when it lacks the LPF that SCART sources benefit from?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

nmalinoski wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

My understanding is that AV3 requires TTL sync, and SCART isn't. Plus, why would you want to feed SCART into AV3, when it lacks the LPF that SCART sources benefit from?
Hmm it may, I didn't know it required TTL, just that it tolerates it. Regardless if he runs the source through an Extron there's a good chance it will be AGC up to TTL sync anyway
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

nmalinoski wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

Because I want to use auto input for every console and not have to manually change the OSSC or any switch boxes ever again.

To my knowledge there is no getting around manually switching inputs other than by feeding every input through through one channel and letting each auto switch on vga component and scart do their own auto switching.
Copyright 1987
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Hoagtech wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:1) yes but you will only get 95MHz LPF, no lower
Because I want to use auto input for every console and not have to manually change the OSSC or any switch boxes ever again.

To my knowledge there is no getting around manually switching inputs other than by feeding every input through through one channel and letting each auto switch on vga component and scart do their own auto switching.
Converting and condensing all of your RGB/YPbPr sources to one format is not needed as of firmware 0.82; just set 'Autodetect input' to 'All inputs', and maybe tweak some of the additional settings if you're gonna send YPbPr over AV1 or AV3.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Yes. I cant believe they implemented it and I didn't even know it. That is verified to be working after the .82 update.

You do have to select " All Inputs " and not current input for it to auto switch betweeen video modes.

Thank you so much for sharing.

I just need to wait for the Extron and AA component auto switchers to arrive and I will never have to change a channel again. Except for HDMI newer devices. Which leads to me to two more questions.

1. Is there a recommended auto detect switcher for HDMI sources preferably one with HDCP handshake friendly

2. Can I double my HDMI output on OSSC to output on my LCD TV as well as my PRO CRT at the same time?
Copyright 1987
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Hoagtech wrote:Yes. I cant believe they implemented it and I didn't even know it. That is verified to be working after the .82 update.

You do have to select " All Inputs " and not current input for it to auto switch betweeen video modes.

Thank you so much for sharing.

I just need to wait for the Extron and AA component auto switchers to arrive and I will never have to change a channel again. Except for HDMI newer devices. Which leads to me to two more questions.

1. Is there a recommended auto detect switcher for HDMI sources preferably one with HDCP handshake friendly

2. Can I double my HDMI output on OSSC to output on my LCD TV as well as my PRO CRT at the same time?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63585
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Hoagtech wrote:Yes. I cant believe they implemented it and I didn't even know it. That is verified to be working after the .82 update.

'Current input' is for when you want it to, say, stay on AV1, but automatically switch between RGBS and RGsB, such as with a PS2.

I haven't played with it yet, but I expect 'All inputs' would start by auto-switching video modes on the same input, and then start cycling through the other inputs if it doesn't detect anything on the current input.