TUTORIAL for TVOne Corio2 240p Downscalers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Foxe

Re: TUTORIAL for TVOne Corio2 240p Downscalers

Post by Foxe »

Dochartaigh wrote:Also, this is the forum if you're looking to buy something: viewforum.php?f=17
Fair point. Sorry.

I feel like I must be missing something then though. I don't see any compatible units at a good price according to the list on the first page. Do you have a link to any of these eBay listings I could take a look at? Sorry if I'm being stupid about this.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Foxe wrote:I feel like I must be missing something then though. I don't see any compatible units at a good price according to the list on the first page. Do you have a link to any of these eBay listings I could take a look at? Sorry if I'm being stupid about this.
Those were SOLD listings I looked up then, which eBay scrubs every 30 or 60 days or something like that. Like all of us looking for something that isn't produced anymore you need to either browse eBay a couple times a day or setup detailed alerts (preferably based off the list on page 1 so you're only getting alerted for COMPATIBLE units!!! ;) so eBay emails you every morning if there's any hits... then don't dilly dally but buy it immediately if it's still available or the other ~100ish people who ALSO setup alerts for these same exact units will buy it before you. Same process anybody uses to buy anything rare-ish on eBay.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Any reasons left to still hunt for one of these for 240p downscaling after the GBS-C has been available?
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

Dochartaigh wrote:Like all of us looking for something that isn't produced anymore you need to either browse eBay a couple times a day or setup detailed alerts (preferably based off the list on page 1 so you're only getting alerted for COMPATIBLE units!!! ;)
Gotcha. Thanks. Yeah, I set up alerts a while back but was curious if there were other areas I could hit.
fernan1234 wrote:Any reasons left to still hunt for one of these for 240p downscaling after the GBS-C has been available?
GBS-C only does 480->240 right? These can do 1080->240. It should make for some fun situations with modern consoles especially with retro-inspired games. I'd imagine the new Shantae games would look pretty cool on a CRT.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Foxe wrote:GBS-C only does 480->240 right? These can do 1080->240. It should make for some fun situations with modern consoles especially with retro-inspired games. I'd imagine the new Shantae games would look pretty cool on a CRT.
OK that sounds like a good reason, though as long as you're fine having another element in the chain, there are plenty of good, cheaply, and easily available scalers that can do 1080p to 480p.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Corio2's can do up to 2048x2048, then downscale to 240p, 480p, 720p, 1080p ("i" too I believe although I've never wanted any resolution interlaced) etc. etc. etc. - ANY custom resolution you want really.

They're also rack mountable in a nice case with all ports on the back, some have nice LCD screens or OSD, can use regular IR remote controls, and don't look like a bare board science project.

Honestly I'm not going to pretend I've done all the research on the GBS-C. Seems like people LOVE it which is awesome... but I know for me, I don't have the willpower to embark on another DIY, built-it-yourself and program-it-yourself, + get GBS Control working type project. With these you don't have to build anything. We have .XML files on the 1st page to program several different (most popular) units which literally takes 1.5 minutes from start to finish (the video tutorial where I'm explaining everything is 2 min 44 sec fyi) - yes, I know it's not too bad with GBS-C... but we're literally talking a couple minutes with the Corio2 - even if you have to program it manually you're using that same software and just have to fill in like 10 fields with the supplied values then apply the settings and you're done. I also don't even consider anything I have to use a crappy plexi or 3d case - this really is huge for me – I want my setup to look professional. This is why I own shiny Analogue products instead of a MISTer. This is why I've posted so much on the OSSC Pro topic about having a proper case for the new Pro model so we don't have bare boards and wires coming out ALL sides of it looking like a techno-octopus looking like shit in our entertainment centers.

There IS a huge gap in finding Corio2's (especially for a decent price) compared to the GBS-C. That right there will make a HUGE difference for a lot of people. Myself and many others started using these at the right time when they were something like $40 shipped and easily available. Even at $80-140 (which it's slowed down, but even late last year there were a LOT which showed up for around that) it was still an amazing deal IMO.
Danexmurder

Post by Danexmurder »

fernan1234 wrote:Any reasons left to still hunt for one of these for 240p downscaling after the GBS-C has been available?
I have a Corio, an Extron, and a GBS-C. Of all these solutions I find that the Corio is the easiest to set up and use. The GBS-C only does 480p-240p and you have to use a sync combiner to get the signal to play nice with a PVM or BVM. The first thing I tried to do with mine was downscale and I realized that I had to build my own sync combiner. My Extron works well but I seem to get some crushing/posterization with it that I don't get with my Corio. GBS-C is great for upscaling but the downscaling still has some snags.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

^All good points in the two posts above. I was genuinely wondering if it would be worth to try again (after giving up about a year or so ago) to hunt for one of these for a good price again, given that now I already have a GBS-C for 240p downscaling, and potentially for very good, almost lag-free, and scan-rate-change immune upscaler, along with Extron and Gefen scalers.

I do appreciate caring about aesthetics when it comes to these devices. I have most of mine placed out of view, so it's less essential, but I can see how that would matter a lot in a comparison between a TVOne unit and a GBS-C (and even worse a GBS-C chained with other converters).

As for time investment, it is possible to buy pre-built, plug-and-play GBS-C units. That's actually what I did, got mine from Chipnetics.
Danexmurder wrote:My Extron works well but I seem to get some crushing/posterization with it that I don't get with my Corio.
Is that an Extron DSC HD unit? Yeah, I've noticed some of that too in some of the scaling modes. I've been using a Gefen scaler that doesn't seem to have these problems, though it outputs SDI instead of HDMI (though it's full chroma 444).
orange808

Post by orange808 »

fernan1234 wrote: Is that an Extron DSC HD unit? Yeah, I've noticed some of that too in some of the scaling modes. I've been using a Gefen scaler that doesn't seem to have these problems, though it outputs SDI instead of HDMI (though it's full chroma 444).
I think Danexmurder is referencing an Extron Emotia. My biggest issue with those machines are their age, rarity, and price. They are very old machines and require maintenance. They also use obscure power supplies. If you're good at tinkering and enjoy soldering, that's no problem. For people that just want to play video games, the Emotia is going to be inconvenient and expensive to purchase and own.

I never noticed any issues with the Extron DSC 301 HD scaling engine.
Everything comes out clean for me. I do have one complaint; my DSC 301 HD unit does not tolerate off spec signals (arcade PCBs) or Nintendo sync jitter very well. (But, that's an upscaling use case.) If I recall correctly, other people have experienced the same issues.

The DSC 301 HD allows users to program custom resolutions using an "EDID editor" (although, it's not really EDID, because we are programming the DSC 301 HD to actually output a different signal). Unfortunately, it cannot do low pixel clocks and it will not downscale to 240p. So, the 301 HD not a downscaling option. I realize nobody asked or suggested the DSC 301 HD as a downscaler, but this thread is about downscaling, so it's worth mentioning.
We apologise for the inconvenience
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

orange808 wrote:I never noticed any issues with the Extron DSC 301 HD scaling engine.
I've noticed some color detail crushing from the output of a DSC 301 HD (and an HD-HD, which uses the same scaling engine). But it's not too noticeable though and overall the scaled output of these Extrons is great.

And yes, they can't downscale down to 240p. I was thinking of them as an option to downscale FHD or HD content down to ED 480p, which a GBS-C (or the upcoming RT5X) can then downscale to 240p, as an alternative to a Corio2.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

fernan1234 wrote:
orange808 wrote:I never noticed any issues with the Extron DSC 301 HD scaling engine.
I've noticed some color detail crushing from the output of a DSC 301 HD (and an HD-HD, which uses the same scaling engine). But it's not too noticeable though and overall the scaled output of these Extrons is great.

And yes, they can't downscale down to 240p. I was thinking of them as an option to downscale FHD or HD content down to ED 480p, which a GBS-C (or the upcoming RT5X) can then downscale to 240p, as an alternative to a Corio2.
Your other 240p downscaling alternatives are the DVDO iScan HD+ and the Aurora Dido Jr.
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

I've been trying to read up on cables and connections for these Corio2s. The reading material on them maybe implies differences between the units? RGB lines are all 0.7 Vp-p but what about the sync lines? For the 750 it clearly states TTL sync, but for something like the 2355A it states Impedance 75Ω on the analogue output with no mention of sync. Is it safe to assume TTL sync here as well?

Also, none ever seem to mention what pins are used for csync in the case of RGBS. It seems to be a fair assumption that this is on the H sync line from the DVI-I port but I wanted to know if anybody confirmed this.

The reason I ask all of this is my ideal scenario is a Corio2 with a cable directly into my GScartSw. Video levels are fine but TTL sync would not be. A 470ohm resistor there seems to be enough. The idea seems straightforward, RGB off the analogue pins from DVI-I, 470ohm resistor between HSync and the csync pin on SCART, audio pulled as 3.5mm from an HDMI->DVI-D box (unless somebody has a better suggestion).

I don't know if anybody builds these, but I was planning on doing it myself. Thoughts? What does everybody else use to connect these guys up?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Foxe wrote:I've been trying to read up on cables and connections for these Corio2s. The reading material on them maybe implies differences between the units? RGB lines are all 0.7 Vp-p but what about the sync lines? For the 750 it clearly states TTL sync, but for something like the 2355A it states Impedance 75Ω on the analogue output with no mention of sync. Is it safe to assume TTL sync here as well?

Also, none ever seem to mention what pins are used for csync in the case of RGBS. It seems to be a fair assumption that this is on the H sync line from the DVI-I port but I wanted to know if anybody confirmed this.

The reason I ask all of this is my ideal scenario is a Corio2 with a cable directly into my GScartSw. Video levels are fine but TTL sync would not be. A 470ohm resistor there seems to be enough. The idea seems straightforward, RGB off the analogue pins from DVI-I, 470ohm resistor between HSync and the csync pin on SCART, audio pulled as 3.5mm from an HDMI->DVI-D box (unless somebody has a better suggestion).

I don't know if anybody builds these, but I was planning on doing it myself. Thoughts? What does everybody else use to connect these guys up?
Does your gscartsw handle RGsB? That should sidestep the entire issue.
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

orange808 wrote:Does your gscartsw handle RGsB? That should sidestep the entire issue.
Oooooh. It does. I did not consider this as an option. Admittedly I know the least about sync on green. Is TTL/voltage not an issue in that case? I would assume not since the RGB lines are 0.7 Vp-p anyway. That's an excellent idea.

I don't know how/if that changes the cable wiring.
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

There was a C2-1200 listed shortly ago that I picked up for ~$80. Output is VGA, I'm assuming it doesn't have anything strange about the VGA port. VGA->Scart should be easy then. Through other posts, it seems like the 1200 _should_ work but isn't listed as a known working model. The specification sheet lists the 1200 and 1250 side by side with the 1250 having a few bonus features.

Last question for now. Does anybody know if these C2's output +5v on the VGA Key pin? This would help set Scart pin 16. Not a big deal since the gscartsw and framemeister both ignore that pin as far as I'm aware.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Foxe wrote: There was a C2-1200 listed shortly ago that I picked up for ~$80. Output is VGA, I'm assuming it doesn't have anything strange about the VGA port. VGA->Scart should be easy then. Through other posts, it seems like the 1200 _should_ work but isn't listed as a known working model. The specification sheet lists the 1200 and 1250 side by side with the 1250 having a few bonus features.
I think that one only accepts NTSC and PAL standard inputs. If it follows the manufacturer's specs (and why wouldn't it?), it will not do what you want.
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

orange808 wrote:I think that one only accepts NTSC and PAL standard inputs. If it follows the manufacturer's specs (and why wouldn't it?), it will not do what you want.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Could you elaborate? It should be identical to the 1250.

-Edit-

I'm not seeing what's the downside of this version. It has A typical PC/HD VGA input and output. HDMI->VGA for the input and then VGA->Scart on the output will let me send any system over to my CRT. If there's something I'm not understanding about the types of inputs, then please let me know as soon as you can.

Link here: https://tvone.com/products/video-scalers/c2-1200
Spec sheet here: https://tvone.com/products/video-scaler ... ad&fid=644

-Edit 2-

I think I read over a very important part. Namely that the 1200's VGA input is pass through... That's the kicker. Only the 1250 can use that as an actual input option. Big sigh. :(
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Just use a HDMI to Component for input instead of HDMI to VGA. For output, you can just use 4 BNC cables or a special-made 4BNC input to male SCART output, that's easier than VGA to SCART as you wouldn't potentially need a sync combiner
orange808

Post by orange808 »

kitty666cats wrote:Just use a HDMI to Component for input instead of HDMI to VGA. For output, you can just use 4 BNC cables or a special-made 4BNC input to male SCART output, that's easier than VGA to SCART as you wouldn't potentially need a sync combiner
To what end? The spec sheet is quite clear.
Limera1n

Post by Limera1n »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Limera1n wrote:TVONE C2-5200, 7100, 7200, and 8110 confirmed at 240P. 8110 (which is the high-end model) also has a sharper image than all 5000, 2000 and 7000 series, especially at higher resolutions like 720P and 1080i. I got my 8110 at around USD$250.

From my experience, all 5000, 7000, and 8000 series should work.
Thanks for the info! I will add to the list. Do you know any history of these model lines? It looks like the 5000's always seem to be of an older make (drastically different buttons, jog dial, etc.) but they're still C2's...

Many of the others seem to all be switchers, which can also scale? Are you able to save different 240p profiles PER input? (up to 8 inputs it looks like, depending on model), or is it only 2x profiles for each of the 2x outputs many of these models have?
You are right. 5000 series is the old lineup. 5100 is analog I/O only, and 5200 has some additional SDI ports on top of 5100. Usually I won't recommend 5000 series due to the lack of DVI (HDMI) I/O.

2000 and 7000 series are the later models. 2000 series, along with the C2-750 model and exclude the 21XX models, are what I really recommend for beginners. They have a variety of I/Os and are relatively cheap.

7000 series has similar looking to 5000, but has DVI-I ports and dual processors. DVI-I can be converted into analog RGB, YPbPr, and HDMI. 7110 and 7210 have big buttons and dials, while 7100 and 7200 have tiny buttons with no dials.

8000 series is the high-end model, and DVI-U (U for Universal) only. DVI-U can be easily converted into composite, Y/C, RGB, YPbPr, and HDMI.
DatMonkey

Post by DatMonkey »

I am thinking about selling my Corio2 C2-1250 as I simply don't use it that often. It comes with a remote control and is pre-programmed with all the 240p timings from this thread. I purchased it for 190$ and and hoping to sell it for that price, but might accept a lower price, not sure about the interest in these. Prefereably I would sell it someone in Europe. PM me if anyone is interested.
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

Just got my C2-T1-750 in the mail. Picked it up for $130 on eBay if that number helps anybody.

Big thanks to Dochartaigh for writing such a good guide getting it up and running quickly. Flashed the firmware, loaded the XML, and played around with settings for a little while just doing 1080p/HDMI->240p/HDMI. I'm still waiting on a couple parts to build my DVI-I to Scart cable but it should make for a clean set up. Plan is...

Auto HDMI Switch -> HDMI Splitter with 3.5mm audio breakout -> HDMI/DVI -> Corio -> DVI/Scart -> GScartSw -> CRT.

The second output of the HDMI switch will go to my regular TV so it receives full resolution while the Corio handles downscaling to the CRTs. :D
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

Built the DVI-I To Scart cable today. Turned out okay, the cable wires refused to stay solder in place and kept tearing as I put it back together. Either way, end product looks good. RGsB works great through the GScartSw.

I'm having one issue though.

Has anybody had Playstation consoles not work with the Corio2? Wii U, Xboxes, Switch, classic consoles, all work fine. For whatever reason though, the PS3 and PS4 will display for a moment, and then drop entirely. The signal drops on my main TV as well which makes me believe that the console itself doesn't want to display for whatever reason. I have no clue why though. If anybody has an idea, please let me know.

Thanks!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Foxe wrote:Has anybody had Playstation consoles not work with the Corio2? Wii U, Xboxes, Switch, classic consoles, all work fine. For whatever reason though, the PS3 and PS4 will display for a moment, and then drop entirely. The signal drops on my main TV as well which makes me believe that the console itself doesn't want to display for whatever reason. I have no clue why though. If anybody has an idea, please let me know.
If you're using the HDMI output, the only thing I can think of is HDCP. Are you using anything to strip it?
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

nmalinoski wrote:If you're using the HDMI output, the only thing I can think of is HDCP. Are you using anything to strip it?
I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶.̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶p̶r̶i̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶H̶D̶C̶P̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶H̶D̶C̶P̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶C̶o̶r̶i̶o̶'̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶H̶D̶M̶I̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶p̶u̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶D̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶m̶m̶e̶n̶d̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶i̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶H̶D̶C̶P̶?̶

--Edit--

So it doesn't seem related to HDCP. I've gotten each console to work completely at least a tiny percentage of the time. Wii U and Switch seem to work almost perfectly. Amazon Fire Stick and PlayStation consoles will most often work for about 15 seconds and then drop video. On the rare occasion when resetting various devices (the HDMI splitter, the Corio, both) things will work perfectly, never dropping video. The problem is it's so inconsistent. Things I've tried with no change in behavior.

Various HDMI Splitters
Turning on devices in particular order (Seems to work some times)
- Best results have been console -> splitter -> Corio.
GScartSw's sync regeneration and sync on green stripping.

Things to try still:
RGBs instead of RGsB, have to build a new cable for that though.
Reflashing firmware on Corio.
Potentially change resolution settings? No clue if it's related to something being wrong in the XML.
Limera1n

Post by Limera1n »

Foxe wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:If you're using the HDMI output, the only thing I can think of is HDCP. Are you using anything to strip it?
I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶.̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶p̶r̶i̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶H̶D̶C̶P̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶H̶D̶C̶P̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶C̶o̶r̶i̶o̶'̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶H̶D̶M̶I̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶p̶u̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶D̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶m̶m̶e̶n̶d̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶i̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶H̶D̶C̶P̶?̶

--Edit--

So it doesn't seem related to HDCP. I've gotten each console to work completely at least a tiny percentage of the time. Wii U and Switch seem to work almost perfectly. Amazon Fire Stick and PlayStation consoles will most often work for about 15 seconds and then drop video. On the rare occasion when resetting various devices (the HDMI splitter, the Corio, both) things will work perfectly, never dropping video. The problem is it's so inconsistent. Things I've tried with no change in behavior.

Various HDMI Splitters
Turning on devices in particular order (Seems to work some times)
- Best results have been console -> splitter -> Corio.
GScartSw's sync regeneration and sync on green stripping.

Things to try still:
RGBs instead of RGsB, have to build a new cable for that though.
Reflashing firmware on Corio.
Potentially change resolution settings? No clue if it's related to something being wrong in the XML.
You are right - HDCP encrypted HDMI sources will not display properly through TVONE. In most cases, all you get is a black screen. There are workarounds. One would need an HDCP stripper device, often in the form of HDMI audio splitter. What I usually do is putting such a stripper/splitter between the HDMI source and TVONE to remove the HDCP protection. Not all HDMI audio splitters double as a HDCP stripper, but some do. You might have to buy from different Chinese companies and trial and error.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

The black + blue ‘Orei’ brand 1:2 HDMI splitter will strip HDCP (and almost certainly any splitter that implements that same generic design). But you wanna watch out for the image being dropped on some of aforementioned splitters, most likely just gotta make sure you have a good PSU, but some people claim to have better luck when *actually* using both outputs and not just using the splitters strictly as HDCP strippers. Though they absolutely do support 1 singular output O_o
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

kitty666cats wrote:The black + blue ‘Orei’ brand 1:2 HDMI splitter will strip HDCP (and almost certainly any splitter that implements that same generic design). But you wanna watch out for the image being dropped on some of aforementioned splitters, most likely just gotta make sure you have a good PSU, but some people claim to have better luck when *actually* using both outputs and not just using the splitters strictly as HDCP strippers. Though they absolutely do support 1 singular output O_o
This was what I needed apparently. The blue Orei brand splitter seemed to do the trick. A bit annoyingly I have my HDMI source going to a 4K splitter with audio extraction with a single source going to the new splitter for the Corio. PS4 and others seem to work perfectly now, no drop outs so far.

Thank you Kitty666cats and Limera1n for your help. :D
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Glad to have helped solve your issue!!! Few things make me feel better than resolving issues with people’s video chains :)
Guile

Post by Guile »

Does anyone know if the c2-3350 can output 240p? I don't see it in the list of known compatible devices but it looks like it should work with custom resolutions.