shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:29 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: TUTORIAL for TVOne Corio2 240p Downscalers
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:58 pm 

Quote:
Hi all, anyone know how I can set the Corio2 up to output 480i?

There should be an "NTSC" profile on your Corio2 - that's 480i (yes, technically it's not NTSC when outputted over RGB or Component).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:41 pm 

Xer Xian wrote:
Quote:
Hi all, anyone know how I can set the Corio2 up to output 480i?

There should be an "NTSC" profile on your Corio2 - that's 480i (yes, technically it's not NTSC when outputted over RGB or Component).

When you program it with the Windows software you'll see that #1 resolution is NTSC, and #2 is PAL. Weird thing is that I can never get to those two resolutions on the unit itself - it starts with #3 (which I program as my "240P MASTER" resolution) and won't let you get to those. I could totally be missing something as I hate 480i and don't use it, but there has to be an easy way to get to that NTSC resolution....

Maybe you might have to write down those values (in the software as you're programming it) for the NTSC #1 resolution, then simply put those numbers into any resolution above #3 and it'll work (or maybe you just can't run 480i over RGB? ...that wouldn't make sense to me since 240p is kinda the same as 480i from a bandwidth perspective...).

Oh, and I know your C2-400 doesn't have these, but on my other units whenever you plug into the Composite or S-Video plugs on those, it seems to always be 480i even when it's on the 240p preset. I have a little C2-100? 150? which works this way and seems to output 480i (picked that model up by accident for cheap forgetting it wasn't 240p compatible).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:08 pm 

I can't help with that, I sort of recall having owned a Corio2 that wouldn't let me access those two profiles, but I didn't care much about it. IIRC they can be accessed on my C2-750 (sorry but it's not hooked up and I'd have to look for my 12v PSU).

And I don't think I've ever owned Corio2 scalers with YC and composite output myself - only a downconverter that wouldn't let me set custom profiles properly. But I can see them being limited to standard PAL or NTSC on those outputs - those were the only proper standards ever supported over YC and composite after all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:07 pm 

So a few pages back you guys were curious what Bloodstained: CotM looked like being output from a PC in native 400x240p without any external processors. I finally got some pictures, and probably the most important one is the save screen.

Each letter on the save screen has the exact same number of lines, and they're all equally bright. That's how you know you're scaling properly, each line rendered by the game is being display on the CRT 1:1.

I'm not sure if this is possible on a Corio, but here's what it would look like if it was:

Spoiler: show

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 am 

BazookaBen wrote:
So a few pages back you guys were curious what Bloodstained: CotM looked like being output from a PC in native 400x240p without any external processors. I finally got some pictures, and probably the most important one is the save screen.

Each letter on the save screen has the exact same number of lines, and they're all equally bright. That's how you know you're scaling properly, each line rendered by the game is being display on the CRT 1:1.

I'm not sure if this is possible on a Corio, but here's what it would look like if it was:

So nice! Looks like a proper 8-bit game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:07 am 

BazookaBen wrote:

beautiful picture

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:14 am 

Last edited by Brando1975 on Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:20 am 

:roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:17 pm 

:roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:18 pm 

The Corio machine is old? What the f*ck is the Emotia? (Edit: I see you edited and changed your issues cells. Although, I could be forgiven, because you moved a legitimate issue with the Emotia over to the Corio side when you switched them.)

Can I adjust the frame rate output on the Emotia? That's kind of a big deal. Is there any kind of frame lock feature at all? No. Nothing. Lots of sweet sweet tearing, though. :)

Also, why shitpost that here? Why not start a fresh thread?

Last edited by orange808 on Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:26 pm 

orange808 wrote:
Also, why shitpost that here? Why not start a fresh thread?

Agreed. This is a thread for instruction and assistance configuring Corio2s to be downscalers, not a discussion to compare them with other devices.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:09 pm 

The Corio2 has both sampling and output adjustment. You can adjust the sampling or the processing.

You'll get the same kind of horizontal sampling issues with any scaler. FBX has spent hours helping people adjust their OSSC and Framemeister units to fix the issues you are seeing.

The Emotia doesn't offer the same robust adjustment that the Corio offers me. So, the Emotia automatically returns an optimized sampled image in every situation?

I just don't believe that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:56 pm 

RetroRGB shares this photo of the Emotia blowing it on the checkerboard test pattern.

https://cdn.retrorgb.com/images/240pCompare03.jpg

That's not okay. It looks bad.

The Corio2 can be dialed in to handle the checkerboard properly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:25 pm 

I can only talk about how the corio2 behaves in my setup, I think it's very good but the emotia runs better in general, it is my personal opinion. I'm not interested in how the device performs in the tests, or the other endless possibilities it has.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:38 pm 

Brando1975 wrote:
I can only talk about how the corio2 behaves in my setup, I think it's very good but the emotia runs better in general, it is my personal opinion. I'm not interested in how the device performs in the tests, or the other endless possibilities it has.

So, you shitposted a half-assed and inaccurate review in a thread about configuring the device. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 am 

I think it's fine that Brando1975 posted his experiences with the two - gives others a perspective on what else is out there. I think a hurdle might be how he's using a Mac (want to say 2014 Mini?) which won't do 480p through the system menu (tried on my 2013 Mac Pro as well, and it seems like they took that option out around that time), so he can only output 480p with the help of a 3rd party app (don't know if that causes any issues with the Corio2 or what).

I will add that in another topic I did see how Brando's tried 3x Emotia's over the last couple years, and he said that ALL have given him "weird problems" (perhaps due to their age?), so that's kinda something important that shouldn't be left out in a comparison of the two IMO. The Emotia's are getting up there in age now, when many of these Corio2's are from 2006-2010ish – I've had units with up to 87k hours on them which still perform just like the brand new ones to my eyes (for full disclosure I did have a fault code on my 2200's, probably new-user error back then, but it's been over a full year later and those same ones are still in my rack chugging along perfectly).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:54 pm 

If one is experiencing video artifacts from their Corio2 (such as shown on this video), that's not a fault of the Corio2, but only a sign that some more tweaking is needed in order to reach a good result.

A properly configured Corio2 should give a pretty much flawless 240p result (see here - and this is from a YUV source). I've never owned an Emotia, but I don't think there's much room for improvement in terms of PQ.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:39 am 

What about using a Corio2 for something like an X68000?

The computer outputs 31k video using RGBHV. But some games switch to 15k and then back to 31k when you exit back to DOS (HumanOS). Is this something this device can support? on the fly resolution changes and 240p input?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:12 am 

i busted out the Corio to try mimicking Game boy player for Gamecube:
i was playing Fusion on the gamecube using the mk-ii

ImageImage

and was curious how AMR2 will look on the 20m4u

ImageImage
ImageImage

it's downscaled from a 1080p screen that is using the fullscreen 4:3 option on AM2R display settings downscaled to 240p through the corio.

there's a native 320 x 240 setting in AMR2 display settings, i wish i could figure out how to get it on my PVM native as i don't have the right tools.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5