Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:43 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: TUTORIAL for TVOne Corio2 240p Downscalers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:16 am 

Quote:
Bonus points: the machine can be used to mirror or flip the screen.

I'm really curious about this, is it a "built in" feature?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:38 pm 

Strider77 wrote:
Quote:
Bonus points: the machine can be used to mirror or flip the screen.

I'm really curious about this, is it a "built in" feature?

Yes. It's built in. You just turn it on in the menu.

It cannot rotate the image. It just reverses (horizontal and/or vertical) lines of the image.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:32 pm 

I'm mostly interested for the Dragon Saber port on PS1. It has a tate option but it's facing down versus everything else and has no option to flip it the "correct" way.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:28 pm 

I know it says it's not recommend anymore but the C2-2200A seems to have the appropriate amount of inputs for my cabinet. I'm new to scalers so be gentle.

I have: PC Engine, N64, NES, SNES, Wii, PSX, Saturn, PS2, Genesis & PS3 all outputting component video into an array of 5 identical daisy-chained switch boxes which then feed into my CRT, in that order. I realize this isn't ideal, but the boxes are non-powered & seem to carry perfect component video, all the way back down the line to PCE. If anyone knows of a good, non-powered component selector with at least 11 inputs let me know.

I ordered a Corio2-2200A last night under the impression that I'll be able to run my final component cable of the chain into the BNC ports & convert my Wii, PS2, & PS3 signals to 240p while passing the others through like normal (unless I want to make adjustments.)

It also seems that I could plug my Dreamcast into the VGA & convert it to 240p through the same output.

Finally, that leaves the DVI input for me to feed my Intel NUC miniPC in through a DisplayPort HDMI to DVI connector. The NUC has integrated graphics & can't normally display on a CRT, but I would like to have the latest MAME setup through a frontend. I have MAME on PS3 & Wii already, but they only run old, innacurate versions from the early 2000's with limited romsets. Ideally I could use the NUC to feed Retroarch or Hyperspin into the CRT, 240p, & use my XBone controller to play wirelessly.

My question is, if all of these are plugged in, will they all feed through the Corio2's DVI output (Using DVI to BNC to component) to my CRT's component input whenever I need without me having to swap cables around?

Let me know if I have made a grave error, because I bought that thing for $200, plus at least another $100 for cables, couplings, & adapters lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 pm 

8BA wrote:
My question is, if all of these are plugged in, will they all feed through the Corio2's DVI output (Using DVI to BNC to component) to my CRT's component input whenever I need without me having to swap cables around?

If I'm understanding that big long chain of consoles correctly, I think the question is if the C2-2200 lets all these signals pass through when it's turned off I think - figure that out and you should be golden. Then just turn the C2-2200 on when you want to downscale Dreamcast, PS2, PS3, and Wii --- and off when it's passing through (if possible) the other non-480p+ signals.

Two other points: PS2 has like ~5% (or something meager like that) of it's library as 480i...so it's going to be slim pickings for 480p games to downscale to 240p with your C2-2200. If modded, you can force it to 480p but I read about so many issues with that I've never tried it myself yet.

Last, it sounds like you REALLY need something like an Extron Crosspoint Ultra switcher for all these consoles. Grab a couple bags of cheap RCA to BNC adapters off Amazon or eBay (your Component cables use RCA connectors, and the Crosspoint uses BNC) and you should be all set. I have a post about the Crosspoints if you want to see how I use them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:58 am 

Just a followup...got my C2-2355A up and running with great results.

Here's a large album of shots on my D24 - https://imgur.com/a/DqO0RRV

The games I tried:

Undertale (PC: 480p -> 240p)
Hotline Miami (PC: 720p and 480p -> 240p)
Dead Cells (PC: 720p and 480p -> 240p)
Super Meat Boy (PC: 720p -> 240p)
Shovel Knight (Switch: 480p -> 240p)
Sonic Mania (Switch: 480p -> 240p)
Blaster Master Zero (Switch: 480p -> 240p)

I found I generally had the best results when downscaling from 480p to 240p as opposed to 720p to 240p. The UI in Dead Cells in particular was much more readable when I set the PC to 480p.

I still have to do a fair amount of image resizing/repositioning every time which is a slight pain but I've gotten fast at making the adjustments.

I do still have the extra unit and received a couple of requests, will be reaching out via PM soon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:36 pm 

Wow! i just read the write up and convinced me to pick one up.
already most of the cables listed:
Monoprice VGA HD15 Male to 5x BNC Female Adapter Cable i'm using to feed a MVS neogeo into an extron160rxi to a JVC pvm
USB to Serial programmer cable i needed to access a Kuro plasma service menu

I ordered a 1T-C2-750
hope i can get it working quickly

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:02 pm 

I love playing the SNES Classic in 240p using the Corio2, thank you for this writeup!

For newer generation games with a native resolution of 480 or above, I'd personally rather deal with the 480i interlace jitter (which isn't noticeable to me on my small CRT if I'm not paying attention) than the half resolution of 240p. I've so far been unsuccessful in figuring out how to accomplish this.

What resolution settings should be used for a Corio2 to passthru a 480i signal as 480i? And furthermore, is it possible to convert a progressive signal to 480i with the Corio2 (and if so, what are the resolution settings to accomplish this?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:10 pm 

my box came in today!

going to try and get it to work...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:50 am 

Mine arrived as well along with a metric butt-ton of cables. I made damn sure I'd have everything I need for my old room but then had an opportunity to move to a modern place. Now it's packed up in a foot locker with all my consoles & I haven't even gotten to test it yet!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:08 am 

Hey guys! i finally got it up and running.
I hooked up a ps3 via hdmi and loaded up the C2-400 file unto a C2-750, followed the instructions and got 480p downscaled to 240p.

here's some pics of Megaman 9 running off PS3 via HDMI to C2-750 to PVM 14N6U via RGB

Last edited by davidwhangchoi on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:43 pm 

Xer Xian wrote:
Also, now my 240p profile apparently does not need any tweaking in the source sub-menu in order to show proper scanlines (while previously it required setting 'TL pos. adjust' to 1 or -1). Corio2's machines man! They never fail to throw you off :)

Hey, i was in the same situation and kept having to tweak in the source sub-menu the TL pos. adjust every time i powered up my C2-750 out of standby, pictured here:

since i'm new and don't know much about what i'm doing i'm posting a noob step by step post... maybe it'll help others with the same question/issue.

first kept trying by saving my presets by running through the menu to save my presets as shown here:
but it wouldn't save the TL pos i set but only the resolution selected.

i found going into 'submenu...' 'system': then scrolling over to 'Save power-on settings' did the trick!

made the last pic full size to see the scanlines =D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:35 am 

davidwhangchoi wrote:
Hey, i was in the same situation and kept having to tweak in the source sub-menu the TL pos. adjust every time i powered up my C2-750 out of standby

The other units have a couple similar ways of doing this. Both the C2-400 and C2-2200 has in the System menu a "Push to Store" option (similar to yours). The C2-2200 can also hold down the joystick until it beeps as well, but I always do it through the menu. You can see this on the very last video I posted in the tutorial at the 2 minute mark (and also how to store settings through the "adjust presets" menu).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:19 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:
davidwhangchoi wrote:
Hey, i was in the same situation and kept having to tweak in the source sub-menu the TL pos. adjust every time i powered up my C2-750 out of standby

The other units have a couple similar ways of doing this. Both the C2-400 and C2-2200 has in the System menu a "Push to Store" option (similar to yours). The C2-2200 can also hold down the joystick until it beeps as well, but I always do it through the menu. You can see this on the very last video I posted in the tutorial at the 2 minute mark (and also how to store settings through the "adjust presets" menu).

Thanks Dochartaigh for the write up and help! With the C2-750, i had trouble with the initial step of hooking it up to a 480i monitor and go into the on-screen menu... the C2-400 trick where you force 480p mode... i don't know if the 750 has that feature, so i had to go in blind silently count the steps to change the resolution and format from RGBHV to RGBS. Everything else was a breeze thanks to your guide and the XML files you shared.

Last week while at work, i was reading @orange808's google doc and this thread to make sure and get DVI to VGA adaptors with the Tendak to kill the PS3 HDCP encryption.

Offline Profile