shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:03 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Any way to get 240p from a PC without using an AMD gpu?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:37 pm 

I have been using an old windows XP / Intel Xeon pc with an AMD Radeon Hd4890 and soft 15khz for a while. It has mostly been ok but I am getting sick of having to replace AMD GPUs...

My 4890 just stopped working. The pc turns on but no image. The extron RGB interface shows no signal. This happened with every other AMD card I ever bought, including 2 arcade VGA cards (which lasted 6 months each). It usually happens when I try booting up after not using it for a while.

I have never had a single problem with any Nvidia cards and I have owned at least 9 including both consumer and Quadro models. I've broken 7 AMD cards. I hate all AMD hardware!

Are there any other options? I am hoping something has changed in the last few years...

The ideal would be a 240p solution that uses an Nvidia card and a later version of Windows (that still has driver support...). Also, one that allows me to use real native res and refresh rates (with custom modes)....

It's frustrating that modern PCs have so much trouble doing what every computer in the 90's was capable of....

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Any way to get 240p from a PC without using an AMD gpu?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:11 pm 

Classicgamer wrote:
I have been using an old windows XP / Intel Xeon pc with an AMD Radeon Hd4890 and soft 15khz for a while. It has mostly been ok but I am getting sick of having to replace AMD GPUs...

My 4890 just stopped working. The pc turns on but no image. The extron RGB interface shows no signal. This happened with every other AMD card I ever bought, including 2 arcade VGA cards (which lasted 6 months each). It usually happens when I try booting up after not using it for a while.

I have never had a single problem with any Nvidia cards and I have owned at least 9 including both consumer and Quadro models. I've broken 7 AMD cards. I hate all AMD hardware!

Are there any other options? I am hoping something has changed in the last few years...

The ideal would be a 240p solution that uses an Nvidia card and a later version of Windows (that still has driver support...). Also, one that allows me to use real native res and refresh rates (with custom modes)....

It's frustrating that modern PCs have so much trouble doing what every computer in the 90's was capable of....

Sounds like you have a bad powersupply if you keep on killing GPUs. I'd reccomend getting a newer AMD GPU that's on the list. http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/v ... php?id=295

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:00 am 

I would have to have five bad power supplies as AMD cards don't last in any of my PCs. It would also have to be bad in a way that only effects AMD cards and never Nvidia.

I haven't tried crt emu before. As is seems to work in Windows 7, I guess I'll give that a try if there is literally no other non-AMD solution..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 am 

Weirdly, I've only ever had one AMD card go bad on me, and it was still usable in a pinch (artifacting).

Do you recall which brand(s) of AMD cards you were buying? I've only ever bought reference cards and Sapphire-brand ones (because I had heard Sapphire produces the references cards).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:53 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
Weirdly, I've only ever had one AMD card go bad on me, and it was still usable in a pinch (artifacting).

Do you recall which brand(s) of AMD cards you were buying? I've only ever bought reference cards and Sapphire-brand ones (because I had heard Sapphire produces the references cards).

I have a range including sapphire, msi, Asus and a few others. I don't know for sure but my belief is that the weak link with AMD cards is the software and I don't think soft 15lhz helps this..

I guess I am just unlucky with AMD. I know that some others have done ok with them. Still if it wasn't for my 240p need, I would never touch another. I don't like troubleshooting PC problems.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:25 am 

In theory, a lot of Nvidia cards will work. People post up all over the place saying "Just get a..." whatever it is; GTX 710, 950, etc. and add your modelines. Some people even talk about the 970 working. But in practice you're likely to get headaches, and those headaches may not be fixable.

AMD + crt_emudriver is the only guaranteed route to 15kHz.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:22 am 

I'm able to get 240p 15kHz from my GTX 1080 using a DisplayPort - VGA Adapter with no problems at all.

I posted about it on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... some_240p/

I even tried 240p 16:9 resolutions with success to play Sonic Mania or Shovel Knight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:32 am 

Do Cards like the 1080 still have a DAC, so DP can output native VGA or do you use an active DP to VGA converter ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:32 am 

I highly doubt that they still have a DAC. Even some older models were not able to output VGA through DVI-I anymore.

I use this converter here: https://www.amazon.de/Rankie-DisplayPor ... B00Z08TZNU

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:43 pm 

The GeForce 900 series was the last VGA holdout.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:31 am 

I was just looking on one of my workstations that has an Nvidia Quadro 6000 (which can output analog RGB through DVI-I and they seem to offer 15khz 480i natively - I.e. As one of the hardcoded built in resolutions.

I can set it to 240p as a custom resolution but it doesn't seem to like staying in 240p once I shut it down.

It makes sense that that this generation of high end Quadro cards would allow 15khz because people who worked in TV / broadcasting would have used them.

I'm wondering if I can make this work for my set-up using an HD monitor for Windows and my arcade monitor as a 2nd screen for MAME.

How do I check the "dot clock" for the custom resolutions I create? Isn't this the apparent issue in modern GPUs and the thing that is apparently solved by an arcade VGA?

Offline Profile