Best vintage gaming monitor - a second opinion

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

Best vintage gaming monitor - a second opinion

Post by Classicgamer »

I wanted to share some info (and opinion) on my favorite vintage gaming monitors and why I rate them above all others.

I have owned many over the years, including: a Sony BVM 20, various PVM 20's, an Nec XM2950, Ikegami broadcast monitors, Wells Gardner, Hantarex and Billabs arcade monitors (both CGA and tri-sync varieties). I have also owned various consumer TVs both here (in America) and when I lived in the U.K. (Where all Sony Trinitron TVs had RGB scart sockets).

So... it is fair to say that I have seen enough to have an opinion...

Most of the monitors listed above have gone into storage or have been sold. The two I keep on my desk (and will never part with) are my Ikegami TM20-90rh and my Billabs 25" (which is really 23.5") tri-sync arcade monitor. I believe that these two are the best of what I have seen overall for vintage gaming (I.e. CGA, EGA, VGA).

I know we all have our own opinions and preferences. Some like to see thick black spaces in-between scanlines and extreme clarity while others crave an authentic smooth look and feel from the arcades they remember from childhood. I am more of a purist. I dislike anything that looks drastically different from the real arcade.

I like the Ikegami because (imo) it represents the best of both worlds. The TM-20rh90 was their top 15khz only broadcast and mastering monitor back in the day. It's specs and pricing were comparable to the Sony BVM20 F1U. Having owned both side by side, I prefer the Ikegami. The image clarity, convergence, contrast and color reproduction are slightly better than the Sony (although it's close enough not to matter). The key difference is that the Ikegami has a curved screen like the real arcades.

Seeing arcade games run on that perfect curved screen is special. It manages to produce the thick scan lines that some people crave but without making the image look blocky like the NEC XM29 does. Thanks to it's perfect convergence, I have noticed details in games that I never saw before (like facial expressions in SF2 characters etc). As an FYI, their TM20-80 series are more comparable to the Sony PVM (so great but not in the same league as the BVM20 / TM20).

It's hard to capture the magic in photos which soften and blur but here is a few:

SF3 from a "normal" arcade distance with brightness turned up to arcade monitor levels:

https://s5.postimg.cc/3y76suzk7/image.jpg

A close-up of FF:

FF from where I sit:

And Mercs (vertical mode):

There is a bunch of nice features on the monitor itself too. The square box-like design makes it easy to turn for vertical games. It has a huge number of image control button and pots on the front and on the slide out control panel. If you can't make the image how you like it with these controls, you can't do it period. Having both digital (buttons)) and analog pots makes adjustments very precise.

Importantly, you can quickly and easily adjust the screen size which is necessary because of all the obscure resolutions that arcade games came in.

Also, like the BVM, it uses (up to 5) input cards so you can customize the connections. Mine has 2 RGB inputs plus a component video (all on BNCs). Theoretically, I could replace the NTSC, SDI and blank slots with more RGB inputs for a max of 6 (including the built-in RGB connectors:

It is a truly amazing monitor; the best 15hkz only monitor I have ever seen.

On the Billabs tri-sync.... this will sound like a strange choice for someone who also owned an NEC XM29. On paper, the NEC seems better. It's larger and covers higher resolutions etc but.... I could never get along with it. The XM29 is more of a PC monitor that happens to display 240p. It displays 720p but at a price. The pitch is too fine so old 240p games look blocky, like a 480p LCD display. Certain games just never looked authentic, no matter what I adjusted:

The learning experience was that, while CRT's may be able to switch resolutions, they still have a native res that looks best. A higher res means a finer pitch which equals more artifacts you don't like on screen.

Don't get me wrong, the XM29 is a great monitor. It is especially awesome for 480p driving games but, unfortunately most arcade games were CGA or EGA.

Ridge Racer at it's native 480p on the XM29:

Net net, cga games don't look like the arcades I remember on the NEC.Also, the XM29 is just a little too big for it's age. For some reason they were unable to create screen that large in the 90's without image issue at the edges. I notice image issues like bowing or convergence problems and they bother me.

So... what's so great about the Billabs? First, I should point out that Billabs were just a distributor. I believe this monitor was available under a few different brand names. It was one of the last real crt arcade monitors ever made so it has a few features that make it ideal as a MAME display.

It's 23.5" (visible) screen is optimal (imo) in terms of the right balance between "nice large arcade display" but not so large that you get noticeable image problems at the edges. It is a noticeable step up in size from the BVM20 / TM20 broadcast monitors.

It's a flat CRT. The purist in me sees this as a negative but many people will prefer that.
Either way, I let it slide because the images it produces is awesome, faithful and clear for all 3 vintage gaming resolutions.

The pitch is sufficiently corse that even older CGA games from the 80's look authentic:

Newer CGA games like SF3 look awesome too:

My main test game for "arcade authenticity) is double Dragon. It usually looks awful on anything except an old curved 19" cga only arcade monitor. This monitor does it well though:

Just as I remember.... tick!

Neo Geo games are another good test

As a purist, I found it hard to play EGA games in the wrong res but there weren't enough to warrant a dedicated ega monitor. Problem solved with the tri-sync:

Old EGA games like Narc and newer Sega Model 2 and 3 games can all be played as they were meant to be played:

It does an equally impressive job with 480p games like Sega Rally online on the PS3:

And games like Ridge Racer look better than on my XM29:

The monitor auto-syncs to the input resolution without needing any switches. As with many arcade monitors, it syncs easily to a broad range of resolutions and modes within each resolution banding.

When I used my RGB Sony Trinitron in the UK, it often struggled with any resolution that was unusual (as many arcade resolutions were) which meant non-native modlines were required (which did not sit well with the purist in me).

In general arcade monitors seem to be less fussy with sync and frequency variations which makes them easier to live with.

Image size adjustments on the Billabs are all on pots on a remote board which you can position wherever you want. This is great when switching from cga to ega as the screen size can be adjusted within seconds without navigating menus etc. I keep the pots up front next to my keyboard. This may sound like a small point but I found the screen size adjustment process on my XM29 to be upsetting.

Most arcade monitors I have owned use (non) standard RGBS or RGBHV molex connectors which means you usually need custom cables, adapters or breakout boards to connect a 240p mame box. Due to my lack of skill, custom cables usually result in a noisy image compared to quality shielded pro cables. This Billabs model has a standard DB15 port as well as the regular RGBS / HV arcade molex connector. This makes it easy to connect both PCs or real arcade hardware.

It accepts all 3 resolution modes through either connector. It also has a brightness switch which is awesome. Arcade boards put out a significantly brighter image than consumer hardware. This means that consumer hardware sometimes looks a little dull on an arcade monitor without a signal booster. Not here. Mame games look as bright as the original jamma PCB.

One minor point, it plugs straight in without needing to buy a separate isolation transformer like my Wells Gardner CGA monitor. I like convenience.

If I could only choose one crt monitor for vintage gaming, it would be this 23.5" Billabs tri-sync. The 240p image was only bested by my old 25" curved CGA only Hantarex monitor but.... the ability to display CGA, EGA and VGA games natively, the convenient DB15 port, the remote adjustment pots, the auto sync etc makes it a better overall monitor for emulated vintage games.

One more image because I can't help myself:

What are your favorite vintage gaming monitors and do you prefer the ultra sharp broadcast monitor type image or do you favor displays that make games look how you remember them from the arcades?
Hoagtech

Re: Best vintage gaming monitor - a second opinion

Post by Hoagtech »

Great read.

I always wanted the Wells Gardner 27" VGA arcade monitor but I couldn't get any feedback from owners of the model.

Also your image links are not working other than the first image.
Copyright 1987
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Hoagtech wrote:Great read.

I always wanted the Wells Gardner 27" VGA arcade monitor but I couldn't get any feedback from owners of the model.

Also your image links are not working other than the first image.
Thanks for letting me know. They all work when I click on them. What happens when you click on a thumbnail? I had to go back and edit the post because the "hotlink for forums" option didn't work. I used the "thumbnail for forums" option from postimage.org the second time...

What image site should I use to post images here (that work for someone besides me)?
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

My advice would be to avoid VGA only arcade monitors unless it is specifically for a vga game or a later 480p console.

There just aren't enough vga arcade games and, the ones that exist usually look good on modern flat screens.

A dual or tri-sync is a different matter as they have real advantages when used with a Windows based PC. I.e. You can use 480p when navigating windows (which sucks at 240p or 480i) and then play cga arcade games at native res (which is the main point of using a crt in this day and age).

Luckily, there still seems to be a good selection of used standard res and tri-sync arcade monitors at semi affordable prices. The price of broadcast monitors and XM29 type presentation displays has gone insane...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Thanks! I'd love to get my hands on an Ikegami. In the past 10 years I've never had a chance to get one. They're really extremely rare over here. Not neccessarily because they're sought after, but simply because they probably sold miniscule numbers compared to Sony.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Fudoh wrote:Thanks! I'd love to get my hands on an Ikegami. In the past 10 years I've never had a chance to get one. They're really extremely rare over here. Not neccessarily because they're sought after, but simply because they probably sold miniscule numbers compared to Sony.
I bought a Sony BVM 20 based on your write up and everything you said was spot-on. They are an incredible piece of engineering. I would have kept it if I hadn't discovered my Ikegami.

I don't ever remember hearing about Ikegami when I lived in Europe so maybe they weren't marketed there, or, just a likely, maybe they were marketed under a different brand.

Still, given a choice, I would rather be shopping for a retro monitor in Europe than here in America. They may not have had Ikegami but I remember an abundance of large Hantarex and Barco monitors that are very hard to find here.

I rate the late 90's Hantarex pro grade rgb monitors almost as highly as the Ikegami 90 and the BVMs. Their arcade monitors were also head and shoulders above all other arcade monitors.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Just found these pics of mame SF2 run at 240p on a consumer Sony Trinitron TV.

And up close

I can't remember if I used component or svideo but the image was decent. Clearly not as good as my rgb arcade or broadcast monitors but, IMO a better option that what I see some people using for 240p games.

I would choose the consumer Trinitron (which people are leaving on curbs) over any LCD with shaders.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Classicgamer wrote:I would choose the consumer Trinitron (which people are leaving on curbs) over any LCD with shaders.
Same.

Consumer Trinitrons are a dammmmn fine choice. I'm rocking one as my main crt rig right now. 500 TVL rgb set. It looks delicious. so, so sexy
VERY soft scanlines(blanked lines are barely visible. which I like)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

FinalBaton wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:I would choose the consumer Trinitron (which people are leaving on curbs) over any LCD with shaders.
Same.

Consumer Trinitrons are a dammmmn fine choice. I'm rocking one as my main crt rig right now. 500 TVL rgb set. It looks delicious. so, so sexy
How did you get rgb on a consumer tv in Canada? Did you do one of those RGB mods or import from Europe?
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Yeah Ikegami! pretty damn good devices!

I used to work next door to Ikegami Europe here in Germany almost a decade ago and spend some time testing a few of their products together with a LD player back then. A few of their monitors also came with a Faroudja comb filter installed by default which made me curious how well they might perform.
Got my hands on an Ikegami HTM-2070 Multiformat a few years later in Paris. I never saw one for sale here in germany. It seems that most were sold to UK and France.
The HTM-2070 is the top of the line monitors that were made by Ikegami and imo the best 20" CRT I ever used right after the Sony BVM-D20. Both have an excellent 240p and also 480p picture but I personally still prefer the Sony tubes over the ones from Ikegami. The Sony tube and especially colors/general output of it are just more eye-catching to me.

Regarding the NEC XM29. It is one of the best trisync monitors in existence. First thing you have to make sure, and there is no way around this, is that it has been properly serviced before you place it in your setup. Most of them were or are stored for ages somewhere at the very back of a warehouses for years without any use or not to mention service work. I had my XM29s serviced by a retired crt technican everytime I bought one. 240p looks absolutely stunning on these shadow mask monitors. Just have a look at aaronmjr little photo session over in the NEC XM29 thread to see how great the NECs can perfom when properly adjusted and maintained.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Classicgamer wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:
Same.

How did you get rgb on a consumer tv in Canada? Did you do one of those RGB mods or import from Europe?
This is an absolutely good question. I thought Canada was stuck with YPbPr like the US.

Regarding the original post, which certainly makes the Billabs tri-sync monitor sound delicious, I have a couple questions:
1. What does it cost, man? And how is availability, considering a lot of old cabs being retrofitted with LCDs now?
2. What do we do for an enclosure? I can't imagine it's ideal setting an exposed CRT out like you have in your photos. I suppose it might make sense to get an arcade cab, but is there anything more suitable for the living room, or something for a more traditional home console experience?
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

svensonson wrote:Yeah Ikegami! pretty damn good devices!

I used to work next door to Ikegami Europe here in Germany almost a decade ago and spend some time testing a few of their products together with a LD player back then. A few of their monitors also came with a Faroudja comb filter installed by default which made me curious how well they might perform.
Got my hands on an Ikegami HTM-2070 Multiformat a few years later in Paris. I never saw one for sale here in germany. It seems that most were sold to UK and France.
The HTM-2070 is the top of the line monitors that were made by Ikegami and imo the best 20" CRT I ever used right after the Sony BVM-D20. Both have an excellent 240p and also 480p picture but I personally still prefer the Sony tubes over the ones from Ikegami. The Sony tube and especially colors/general output of it are just more eye-catching to me.

Regarding the NEC XM29. It is one of the best trisync monitors in existence. First thing you have to make sure, and there is no way around this, is that it has been properly serviced before you place it in your setup. Most of them were or are stored for ages somewhere at the very back of a warehouses for years without any use or not to mention service work. I had my XM29s serviced by a retired crt technican everytime I bought one. 240p looks absolutely stunning on these shadow mask monitors. Just have a look at aaronmjr little photo session over in the NEC XM29 thread to see how great the NECs can perfom when properly adjusted and maintained.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I paid $400 for mine a few years ago. The ones still available are vendors clearing old stock on eBay. I saw one going for $700 (new) a few weeks ago and I saw some for $500 a few months ago. Keep an eye out. You have to get lucky at this point.

The not having an enclosure thing does suck. They come with a frame which allows you to set them on a desk but any enclosure will be a diy job. I.e. Either build one or adapt the case from an old crt tv.

I keep mine in the basement so I am not worried about my 3 year old son touching it. My eventual plan is to build it into a bartop cabinet. That is probably the best option for a living room. There are bartop kits available online (which fit crt monitors) if you aren't able to build your own.

I plan on using aluminum t-slot extrusions (which fit together like lego) for the frame and sheet metal for the walls.
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

I've got three Ikegami HTM-2050R2s, and compared to the TM20-90rh their scanlines are perhaps a tiny bit sharper. Still, I love the look of them so much I had to stock up, and I would get more if my wife wouldn't kill me for it. Here in Japan, they're relatively common.

Having said that, I would perhaps trade everything for one brand-new Shibasoku. I have two old ones: a CM201N that had clearly been though a lot of use (bad caps galore), and a CM207Z that sadly has NO SYNC faintly burned into the lower left.

I should do a write-up one of these days. The thing I love about these Shibasokus, especially the CM201N, is that they maintain the precision of any of the best broadcast monitors, yet the scanlines and pixels have a thick, nebulous, like-mom-used-to-make quality. They don't look like "monitors" so much as just really good TVs. 480i, for example, is as pleasant to watch on them as you could hope for. On the HTM-2050R2, the fields are so totally separated that it looks a bit jittery.
svensonson wrote:Got my hands on an Ikegami HTM-2070 Multiformat a few years later in Paris.
One fine day, I'd like to see how these compare to the 2050s. On paper, the only difference is that the 2070 is 1000 TVL while the 2050 is 900. The 2050 is hardly lacking in sharpness or clarity, but a later model always has its allure.

The 2070 really is Ikegami's last and best curved-screen broadcast monitor. They did, however, make flat-screen monitors as recently as 2012 that are supposed to be pretty good. I think you can still buy them new from certain places.
A few of their monitors also came with a Faroudja comb filter installed by default which made me curious how well they might perform.
I have one NTSC board for my 2050s, which unfortunately doesn't quite work, but I've taken it apart and looked at it. It has a Faroudja sticker in it. They made good comb filters, I take it?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Classicgamer wrote:How did you get rgb on a consumer tv in Canada? Did you do one of those RGB mods or import from Europe?
It's one of the very few consumer tv released in North America to have an RGB input

There's a couple of them, maybe 4 or 5 models, from Sony. Don't know if other brand made some. Not that I know of

From nakedarthur(member here)'s site :

KV-1311CR
KX-1901A / KX-2501A
KV-20XBR / KV-25XBR
KX-27PS1

Mine is the Sony KV-25XBR (25 inch viewable screen)

They're out there, I suggest to crt enthusiast to keep an eye out for them. It's an excellent gaming screen and can be had for not much. way less than PVMs and BVMs and other pro crts. It is, in my opinion, a great option to consider when it comes to rgb crts. Not many people seem to care for them, and instead hunt for PVMs and BVMs exclusively

In the last 2 years I've seen 2 of them pop up on craigslist/kijiji/classified near me. (but then again, I check for Trinitrons listings in the classiied regularly). I've seen many past listings/discussion threads about them too, so it looks like if somebody's patient and checking the classifieds regularly, there's a decent chance of finding one.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

FinalBaton wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:How did you get rgb on a consumer tv in Canada? Did you do one of those RGB mods or import from Europe?
It's one of the very few consumer tv released in North America to have an RGB input

There's a couple of them, maybe 4 or 5 models, from Sony. Don't know if other brand made some. Not that I know of

From nakedarthur(member here)'s site :

KV-1311CR
KX-1901A / KX-2501A
KV-20XBR / KV-25XBR
KX-27PS1

Mine is the Sony KV-25XBR (25 inch viewable screen)

They're out there, I suggest to crt enthusiast to keep an eye out for them. It's an excellent gaming screen and can be had for not much. way less than PVMs and BVMs and other pro crts. It is, in my opinion, a great option to consider when it comes to rgb crts. Not many people seem to care for them, and instead hunt for PVMs and BVMs exclusively

In the last 2 years I've seen 2 of them pop up on craigslist/kijiji/classified near me. (but then again, I check for Trinitrons listings in the classiied regularly). I've seen many past listings/discussion threads about them too, so it looks like if somebody's patient and checking the classifieds regularly, there's a decent chance of finding one.
There is one of those Sony kv25-xbr tv's on my local Craigslist now for $15. I was thinking of snapping it up, given my preference for crt' that look more like the arcade and less like pc monitors. The problem is that I am not as dedicated as some. It's an hour drive (each way) so I couldn't be bothered. The guy that bought my XM29 drove 19 hours (each way) to pick it up... that's dedication!

At some point I have to start asking "how many unused CRT's do I need in storage". I have 7 currently....

Unless a monitor has the potential to replace either my Ikegami or my arcade monitor on my desk, I can't buy any more. I will never understand these people who stack crt's on top of each other or need one for every console. Are people playing more than one game at the same time???

The only monitors I would buy currently are either a Hantarex 25" cga curved (the holy grail for cga arcade gaming) or, maybe.... one of the Sony PVM 25" (if I ever saw a reasonable deal).
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

SamIAm wrote:I've got three Ikegami HTM-2050R2s, and compared to the TM20-90rh their scanlines are perhaps a tiny bit sharper. Still, I love the look of them so much I had to stock up, and I would get more if my wife wouldn't kill me for it. Here in Japan, they're relatively common.

Having said that, I would perhaps trade everything for one brand-new Shibasoku. I have two old ones: a CM201N that had clearly been though a lot of use (bad caps galore), and a CM207Z that sadly has NO SYNC faintly burned into the lower left.

I should do a write-up one of these days. The thing I love about these Shibasokus, especially the CM201N, is that they maintain the precision of any of the best broadcast monitors, yet the scanlines and pixels have a thick, nebulous, like-mom-used-to-make quality. They don't look like "monitors" so much as just really good TVs. 480i, for example, is as pleasant to watch on them as you could hope for. On the HTM-2050R2, the fields are so totally separated that it looks a bit jittery.
svensonson wrote:Got my hands on an Ikegami HTM-2070 Multiformat a few years later in Paris.
One fine day, I'd like to see how these compare to the 2050s. On paper, the only difference is that the 2070 is 1000 TVL while the 2050 is 900. The 2050 is hardly lacking in sharpness or clarity, but a later model always has its allure.

The 2070 really is Ikegami's last and best curved-screen broadcast monitor. They did, however, make flat-screen monitors as recently as 2012 that are supposed to be pretty good. I think you can still buy them new from certain places.
A few of their monitors also came with a Faroudja comb filter installed by default which made me curious how well they might perform.
I have one NTSC board for my 2050s, which unfortunately doesn't quite work, but I've taken it apart and looked at it. It has a Faroudja sticker in it. They made good comb filters, I take it?

I was just looking at the specs of the top HTM line and they are very similar to the 15khz only TM20-90rh line. The pitch and tvl on the HTM2050 is identicle to TM20-90. It either shows how great the TM20 tube is that they could just change the electronics to make an HD monitor, or it shows they just got lazy by the end.... I can't imagine anyone was motivated to invest in HD CRT tech once the flatscreen era started...

My cravings lean more the other direction. I would like to add a lower spec TM20-20 or TM20-80. I think a 600 tvl is more appropriate and "arcade-like". I am torn though because the image on the TM20-90 is so incredible. I have literally never seen any other monitor with an image that is as technically perfect. It's clearer than any HD flatscreen I have used to date (except the first OLED displays). Only OLED tv's have better contrast.

There is a YouTube "review" of the TM20-20 where the owner also has Sony PVMs to compare it to. The TM20-20 is their budget model with 600tvl and the guy claims that it blows his PVMs out the water. Makes me curious...
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Awesome thread :) I haven't sampled nearly as many models as people here :/ but out of the ones I own, I like the JVC TM-H models the most. I agree that a curved screen is a big factor in conveying a classic look to a CRT. Beside Ikegami's, the JVC BM-H2000 is another model with a noticeably bulging screen (it doesn't look as unique though). Also I think Ikegami is probably the only company to have ever made a multisync (broadcast) monitor with a curved screen on both axes. And yeah, I've never found one for sale in my country either.
SamIAm wrote:they maintain the precision of any of the best broadcast monitors, yet the scanlines and pixels have a thick, nebulous, like-mom-used-to-make quality.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.. (picture is from an assembly line of a defunct italian CRT manufacturer)
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Great photo!

I read somewhere that a few companies were still manufacturing a trickle of new CRTs to support legacy applications. I wish they would do that for vintage gaming monitors.

Either that, or we need a new type of display tech where, like crt, it can switch resolutions and... ideally, be able to change shape between 4:3, 16:9 and 2.35:1 so we never have to see horrific and upsetting black bars or scaling artifacts.

The only display that currently delivers in all those areas is the Sony G90 projector. (With a motorized screen for the aspect ratio shift). The Sony G90 is the pinnacle of crt tech. It has the bandwidth to display everything from 240p up to 4K (natively). Like the BVMs and Ikegami monitors, it uses input cards so it can always keep up to date with the latest format. People use them today with HDMI or DVI input cards even though the projector predates those standards.

Nothing currently made offers that kind of versatility and only OLED displays can match the quality. If only they weren't so big, heavy and monsterous...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Classicgamer wrote:There is one of those Sony kv25-xbr tv's on my local Craigslist now for $15.
That's a steal! some retro gamer in your area is gonna be a really happy camper :)

Classicgamer wrote:It's an hour drive (each way) so I couldn't be bothered.
wow an our drive for me is nothing! Funny how different people's perspective can be :P I live in a small town an hour away from Quebec City and I go there by car pretty much every weekend

I sometime drive 3.5 ours(each way) to Montreal when there's something I really want

Classicgamer wrote:At some point I have to start asking "how many unused CRT's do I need in storage". I have 7 currently....
Ah well that is a lot of crts... I understand your point of not really wanting any more. If you have a friend who's looking for a good and cheap RGB crt with a large screen in your area, do recommend to him this KV-25XBR
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

2 hours of driving is not terrible if you need a monitor but it's a waste of time if it would go straight into storage and possibly not see daylight ever again...

Even the most enthusiastic vintage gaming fan only needs 2 crt monitors. One for horizontal and one vertical (and turning screens is annoying).

The desire to hoard comes from us knowing that, at some point, we won't be able to buy these monitors anymore. It makes it hard to turn down a good deal on a decent rare crt. People on eBay are already asking $2000 for an XM29 or a PVM 2950. The madness is only going to get worse.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I believe this might be an example of my Billabs tri-sync arcade monitor being sold under a different brand name and being sold new on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MakVision-24-8 ... Swc1FXbsBr

Wow - these things are starting to get expensive these days...

I don't know for a fact that it is the same monitor as mine under a different name but the specs and appearance look similar. I'm almost positive that it uses the same tube even if it has a different chassis.

This seller also has some curved cga only and curved tri-sync monitors with the same tube size (24.8"). Had I been buying my monitor today and knowing what I know now about my preference for authenticity, I probably would have gone with the curved tri-sync...

Or..... if money was no object.... I would have got one of each...

Many of the used monitors people are buying now are 20-40 years old. Even if you find what you want, who knows how much life they have left. They are getting harder to fix or find parts for too. Even if you have to stretch your budget, there is an obvious and real advantage in getting a crt monitor new in the box.... with no screen burn and 10-20 years of heavy use left in them.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

As an FYI for anyone that lives close to Atlanta, this is the best cga arcade monitor currently for sale on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hantarex-Polo- ... Swef9a7glE

If anything would persuade me to break my freeze on CRT purchases, it would this 25" Hantarex Polo. I used to own a Polo when I lived in the UK and I believe it to be the absolute best CGA only arcade monitor which means, if you only play CGA games, there is nothing better (except maybe the Hantarex cube).

I have been looking for a 25" Polo close to NY for the last 5 years but.... for some cruel and unholy reason.... they only ever show up in Atlanta and California with that obnoxious "pick up only" label in the shipping info....
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Someone about 70 miles from me has 14+ detached arcade monitors for sale. Varying degrees of condition and size. Most are "untested" which is code for broken imo, they say most will likely need cap kits. These are only $30-40 but I assume much more time and money would need to be sunk into one to make it viable. One fully tested 19'' they are asking $150 for. I know nothing of what is good or not among arcade monitors. I was thinking about messaging them for the name of the fully working one and posting it somewhere on this site, this seems like it would be a good thread for it. :)
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Someone about 70 miles from me has 14+ detached arcade monitors for sale. Varying degrees of condition and size. Most are "untested" which is code for broken imo, they say most will likely need cap kits. These are only $30-40 but I assume much more time and money would need to be sunk into one to make it viable. One fully tested 19'' they are asking $150 for. I know nothing of what is good or not among arcade monitors. I was thinking about messaging them for the name of the fully working one and posting it somewhere on this site, this seems like it would be a good thread for it. :)

$150 for a 19" crt arcade monitor in good condition is a good deal if it is standard res (cga) and has no noticeable screen burn). I doubt you'll do much better. Grab it before someone else does.

Just make sure you understand what you are going to need to use the monitor. My arcade monitor is easy because it is plug in and play and it will take a cga, ega or vga signal directly from a pc outputting RGBHV. My older Wells Gardner CGA monitor takes RGBS so I used it with my extron rgb interface to convert the sync cleanly. It also needs an isolation transformer which didn't come with it.

I would avoid any 14" monitors unless you specifically want to build a mini bar top cab.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

It's a Wells Gardner 1972 which I think is a newer model. In info from knowledgeable people here instead of me flopping around google is greatly appreciated.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:It's a Wells Gardner 1972 which I think is a newer model. In info from knowledgeable people here instead of me flopping around google is greatly appreciated.

Apparently it's a k7200 series:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=64559.0

I would go and see it if you can and preferably take a 240p source with you to test. As you can probably tell, we all have our own opinions on what a good monitor should look like. It's best to find out what you think as you'll have to live with it. Also, the quality varies with age and treatment.