SyncSlayer - SCART to RGBHV Adapter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BuckoA51

Re: SyncSlayer - SCART to RGBHV Adapter

Post by BuckoA51 »

Rising cage clamp header.... so in other words, strip your power supply leads and screw them in. I thought about barrel connector, USB, etc for some time; but really a clamp header is more universal for everyone.
Ugh.. well I sort of see your point but it's not exactly very user friendly.. I can't imagine many consumer electronic devices would ship with the "feature" of "just strip your DC adapter cables back and screw the wires in!"
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

I belive best solution is I will now offer SyncSlayer with power supplies with the leads already connected. I have access to a lot of unused switching supplies so it's no issue really!

Micro USB doesn't seat well, it's quite easy to disconnect and a flimsy connector. USB-C isn't nearly common enough yet and most people would have to run to the store to get one. As mentioned by another user Mini USB would be best - my fav as well, it feels sturdy and seats strongly. However it's also becoming difficult to find mini USB chargers as it's "old technology".

Therefore I believe best solution is shipping with a power supply and all the uncertainty goes away. If I sell enough units I will consider USB on next run for sure. I think a lot of people will use console power regardless to keep down the mess of cables.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

8bitgasm wrote:However it's also becoming difficult to find mini USB chargers as it's "old technology".
If you mean a wall wart with the wire attached, I would assume those are indeed hard to source these days; but why not ship wall warts with USB-A sockets with separate A to Mini USB cables?
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

nmalinoski wrote:If you mean a wall wart with the wire attached, I would assume those are indeed hard to source these days; but why not ship wall warts with USB-A sockets with separate A to Mini USB cables?
That's an option... I'll see what can be done on the next iteration depending on the success. I'll be shipping with power supplies now however and have updated the listings. Thanks for the insight guys.
amontre

Post by amontre »

Since i'm having issue with my scart to vga cable (gscartsw > extron 203) , instead of finding another cable, would SyncSlayer be an ideal solution ? I'm thinking gscartsw > syncslayer > extron 203 > bvm.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

amontre wrote:Since i'm having issue with my scart to vga cable (gscartsw > extron 203) , instead of finding another cable, would SyncSlayer be an ideal solution ? I'm thinking gscartsw > syncslayer > extron 203 > bvm.
Assuming you're using the RGB interface to convert the RGBS from SCART to RGBHV for the BVM, the SyncSlayer will do exactly what your RGB interface is already doing, so there's no point in chaining the two. It makes more sense to either repair the SCART->VGA cable you have or buy/make a new one.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

After wasting a bunch of time building a SCART->DE-15 cable to test a PSone on my Extron RGB interfaces and finding out the hard way that they require clean composite sync when all I have is luma, I came back to the sync slayer as a possible option that would actually support sync-on-composite and sync-on-luma.

After rereading the specs, I have another question: If you're just putting csync on the horizontal sync line, why have the jumper to toggle vertical sync in the first place? Whether you need RGBS or RGBHV (which would actually be RGBSV), your cable will be wired for that application, so wouldn't it make sense to eliminate the jumper and just make it output RGBSV full-time?
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

The jumper dictates what goes to horizontal... Either composite sync, or true horizontal sync. Vertical does not go through any jumper and is taken directly off the TI chip. Hope that clears it up? :)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

8bitgasm wrote:The jumper dictates what goes to horizontal... Either composite sync, or true horizontal sync. Vertical does not go through any jumper and is taken directly off the TI chip. Hope that clears it up? :)
Yes; sorry, I was reading the earlier comments that specified composite sync as horizontal sync.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Any idea when more units will be available to purchase? I'd like to test if they're suitable for our production setup.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

This also seems like something that would be very useful for my purposes.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

8bitgasm wrote: If you're referring to retrogamingcables; I broke apart the housing (which is just like all the other housings - cheap!) and really didn't see anything too spectacular... crappy wire, crappy solder, bargain bin caps. I would say they are 10% better than a typical SCART.
I guess you're not referring to the Packapunch line but the regular one? Those are supposedly premium in every regard, including price!