Can you change horizontal resolution with OSSC?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Brad251

Can you change horizontal resolution with OSSC?

Post by Brad251 »

I was thinking about getting an OSSC for an RGB modded NES but I'm wondering if I can change the horizontal resolution to get the aspect ratio that I want. Normally, I emulate NES games in retroarch, I set my resolution to 720p, turn on integer scaling and set the aspect ratio to 5:4. Nes games look most correct to me with this aspect ratio and at this resolution on an LCD and if this OSSC can't do this than I wouldn't get it. I'm not interested in the Framemeister.
Fudoh

Re: Can you change horizontal resolution with OSSC?

Post by Fudoh »

You can't change it like you can in Retroarch. You're limited to either true 4:3 in generic mode or certain horizontal integers in the optimized modes. For NES that's 1024x720 (4x horizontal integer) and 768x720 (3x horizontal integer) - other horizontal resolutions follow the same concept.
Harrumph

Re: Can you change horizontal resolution with OSSC?

Post by Harrumph »

Actually, you have several options, but it's heavily dependent on what your display can handle.

The most straight-forward is probably to use optimized in 4x mode, it then scales 4 times vertically and 5 times horizontally.

Alternatively you can use generic 4:3 sampling (in any line-multiplied mode) and only adjust h.active window. It will depend on the display whether this actually takes any effect.

Last option is to change sample rate itself. Higher samplerate (i.e. more samples per video line) usually results in a wider image, and vice versa, but again you are limited to the range that your display will tolerate, and that will vary quite a lot.