Saturn 2.4G Wireless controller kit

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
hugo19941994

Re: Saturn 2.4G Wireless controller kit

Post by hugo19941994 »

This video might help, in case you haven't seen it https://video.tudou.com/v/XMjQ3MTA2Njgz ... 253869.0.0

It took me several tries until the receiver blinked quickly, but once it did I followed the instructions and it worked.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

hugo19941994 wrote:This video might help, in case you haven't seen it https://video.tudou.com/v/XMjQ3MTA2Njgz ... 253869.0.0

It took me several tries until the receiver blinked quickly, but once it did I followed the instructions and it worked.
I don't know what he's saying, but mine never blinks anywhere near that fast so I can't get to the steps after that. I tried it for an hour straight on two different NTSC Saturn's.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

mario64 wrote:
Gunstar wrote:Looks like they've removed the receiver now, the price is a lot less too :/
That makes no sense at all. The kit is worthless without a receiver
Yep, that's fucked up, there's no other place you can get a Saturn receiver afaik. Also seems they've started to cut corners with the aerial and there are sync issues for some. I've put a warning in the OP now.

@LDigital Did you pay the original price ($54 or whatever it was) and they're saying you won't get a receiver? Hope you get a refund, that's some horrible bait and switch.
MarauderEX

Post by MarauderEX »

Does anyone have a link to the receiver?
I can't find it on the site and it seems incredibly stupid to order the controller without one
hugo19941994

Post by hugo19941994 »

I've recently installed the new Pseudo Saturn Kai which has the built-in rhea/phoebe menu and I think there is an incompatibility with this controller kit. For some reason, a few seconds after the menu is loaded (about 10-30) it looks like it loads something very quickly without me pressing anything, and then it sits in the menu locked-up. If I use the cabled controller everything works fine. RMenu 0.2 and games work fine as well.

I've recorded this quick video https://youtu.be/eRytofFC1i4 the sort of glitch happens at the 0:35 mark

I'll try to get in touch with the developer and the guy who makes the kit. In the meantime, does anyone have some ideas of how I could debug this?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

hugo19941994 wrote:I'll try to get in touch with the developer and the guy who makes the kit. In the meantime, does anyone have some ideas of how I could debug this?
If you do reach him please let me/us know - my receiver won't even sync with the controller to begin with, so as of now I can't even use mine, period.
hugo19941994

Post by hugo19941994 »

Oh I'm sorry to hear it still isn't working for you. I really don't know why it won't sync. I've recorded another short video of me syncing the controller, but the gist of it is:

1. Turn the controller and Saturn off
2. Press start until the LED blinks red
3. Turn saturn on with the controller near the receiver (try as near as possible)
4. If the receiver detects the controller in syncing mode it starts blinking quickly (I think... If it doesn't blink fast try turning everything off and start again)
5. Press A + Start (or another combo)
6. LED on the receiver stops blinking and it should be synced

Video: https://youtu.be/9YjtMddbFkE The actual syncing process stops at the 0.35 mark. If it still doesn't work you could try adding an antenna on the receiver end
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Thanks Hugo, already tried all that, including soldering on an antennae like the original design had. I watched the Chinese video of (assuming from the builder of this) syncing it, and I never get the LED's flashing like he does (forget exactly but think his blink nice and slow indicating it's waiting for the controller to sync to it, where mine are flashing twice as fast which means it never goes into sync mode...or the opposite - whatever it does mine never syncs, and considering they don't even sell the receiver anymore I'm guessing it's a design flaw somewhere which may be what causes this.
nam9

Post by nam9 »

Just ordered a pair of these PCB direct.
(If you look at the yoyocart.com image you can find the name of the seller on Taobao.com... diy918.taobao.com)
I ordered via TaobaoFocus.com, a Taoabo agent I can really recommend. Price is $30 each.

These are the pics the agent have supplied

Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nam9 wrote:Just ordered a pair of these PCB direct.
(If you look at the yoyocart.com image you can find the name of the seller on Taobao.com... diy918.taobao.com)
I ordered via TaobaoFocus.com, a Taoabo agent I can really recommend. Price is $30 each.
Does it work though?
nam9

Post by nam9 »

Will see when they arrive.
At least you can see in these pics that the antenna is connected properly.
shinzuka

Post by shinzuka »

Hello !!

I bought my pcb at yoycart but no receiver. Is it possible to buy the receiver alone?

Thank you for your help
nam9

Post by nam9 »

shinzuka wrote:I bought my pcb at yoycart but no receiver. Is it possible to buy the receiver alone?
It’s a kit, so i’d say no... best speak with yoyocart and persuade them to refund you?

I recommend buying direct from the seller on taobao.com (TB Focus is a great shopping agent).
nam9

Post by nam9 »

My Pcbs arrived and i’ve Just started to play around with them.
Here’s what I’ve worked out so far:

Switch on: press Start
Switch off: press and hold LT,RT & Start
(3 seconds - red light flashes, turns off).

Program:
Start with everything off.
  • 1. Press and hold Start until red led is lit.
    2. Plug in receiver and power on console.
    Receiver should begin to flash rapidly.
    3. Press ABCXY or Z to set channel.
    (I used A for the first and C for the second pad).
    Receiver flashes slowly, controller is still red.
    4. Confirm channel: Press Start and Channel button selected previously.
    (I’m making up my own terminology here, but it works).
    Controller and receiver steady green led.
To reassign channel, repeat above steps.

Reset button looks to reset current connection on current settings.
nam9

Post by nam9 »

Update

Yes, they work. Set up as per instructions above was quick and painless.
Few power cycles later, controllers are still paired, they just work.
Haven’t tried pushing the range, but they were working at a comfortable distance without any noticeable interruptions.
Next would be to test input lag, but I don’t have any equipment for that.

Biggest issue for me were the plugs on the receivers.
They were far too tight a fit into the console sockets. I literally had to file top and bottom sides down to have a comfortably tight fit.
Plug sizes weren't consistent between the two receivers I have either.
hugo19941994

Post by hugo19941994 »

Just in case anyone here uses Pseudo Saturn Kai, the newest release (6.314) now works with the wireless controller!
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I installed mine this weekend. Overall I am pretty impressed, they are responsive and there are no issues with range on my set. Expensive but happy
StudMuffinHak

Post by StudMuffinHak »

Found it.

Just in case anyone loses it

its 4.2 v 500amp
aliensstudios

Post by aliensstudios »

I got my kit from a site called Taobao Focus for 29.53 because I didn't want to deal with yoycart and the crap they've been pulling like not sending people the wireless dongle. Taobao Focus initially tried to screw me on the shipping cost, but I talked to customer service and was able to get a very reasonably priced option but it took much longer to arrive.

I opted to put it in one of Retrobit's Saturn controllers because they're cheaper than buying a used Saturn controller and it would have that brand new feeling too. I was almost 100% positive the board would match, because the 8bitdo DIY board matched their Genesis version when I modded that controller a couple months ago, and sure enough it did. The install wasn't hard at all, I used some double sided tape to secure the battery to the front casing of the controller so it wasn't rattling around all the time. I was miffed as to why the board doesn't include the shoulder buttons micro switches. I didn't really want to desolder the buttons from the Retrobit controller because they were very sloppily and haphazardly soldered to the wired controller's board, and it seemed like more effort than it was worth to swap them to the new board. I ended up buying some 6x6x5.5mm right angle tactile push button micro switches. The legs fit the board perfectly, but I clipped them since they stick out a bit far. I painlessly soldered them in. Unfortunately on the switches I bought, the micro switch itself sits too low under the shoulder buttons so I had to add a small pad of rubber underneath the shoulder buttons so they would make contact with the switches.

The receiver itself seems kind of cheap, popping open without much force. The connector is also plastic, making me anxious of it's durability, but overall I really like the mod. I played a few hours of various games and I didn't notice any drops or perceptible lag. For the price of the controller, the kit, and the shipping, it was just under 60 bucks which I find very reasonable for a basically brand new wireless Saturn controller. It's about what a current gen controller costs and I think it's well worth it for the Saturn.

I'm also definitely not using the charger that came with the controller. It's flimsy and gives off a bad electronics smell. I popped it open and while it didn't look fried, it smelled awful. Thankfully I have other adaptors lying around.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

8bitdo has released a Saturn kit as part of their DIY line. Looks like a somewhat more economical Bluetooth alternative, from a fairly reputable outfit.

I'll be curious to see if people successfully put these into the SLS pads, aside from the officially-supported Sega originals.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

bigbadboaz wrote:8bitdo has released a Saturn kit as part of their DIY line. Looks like a somewhat more economical Bluetooth alternative, from a fairly reputable outfit.

I'll be curious to see if people successfully put these into the SLS pads, aside from the officially-supported Sega originals.
For me, the 8bitdo kit is of no value since they don’t offer a Saturn receiver. Hopefully they will soon
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Hope we finally get a wireless Saturn controller by 8BitDo or RetroBit soon, for us that are not great when it comes to DIY :mrgreen:
Oh and Dreamcast afterwards too :roll:
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

The Retro-Bit are right around the corner. Displayed at GamesCom, I don't know why there was really no coverage. As for 8BitDo, I doubt they would do another controller that basically mirrors the m30. Probably console receivers or nothing from them, and they haven't shown any inclination to do those.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

8bitdo does a bunch of console receivers, though...? They have both bluetooth and 2.4 ghz receivers for a variety of different consoles, and while I'd certainly like them to do more (2.4 ghz receiver for SNES would be nice), it's not like they have none.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Guspaz wrote:8bitdo does a bunch of console receivers, though...? They have both bluetooth and 2.4 ghz receivers for a variety of different consoles, and while I'd certainly like them to do more (2.4 ghz receiver for SNES would be nice), it's not like they have none.
They have no Saturn receivers though :(
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You could theoretically daisy chain an absurd number of raphnet adapters, putting the m30 receiver into a wiimote adapter, into a PSX adapter, into a Saturn adapter... but the shoulder buttons won't be treated as discrete buttons, that only works over USB (on the 2.4ghz version anyhow).

This approach is, however, reasonable for their 2.4 GHz SNES controllers, which only have a wiimote receiver (for the NES/SNES Classic). The 2.4 GHz SNES Classic controller has ~4ms of lag, and the raphnet Classic-to-SNES adapter has ~4ms of lag, so combined you get ~8ms of lag, which is better than the bluetooth SNES controller latency.