shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:14 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Saturn 2.4G Wireless controller kit
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:48 am 

I found this on yoycart whilst looking for something else recently: https://www.yoycart.com/Product/539345986855/

hugo19941994 from the Retro Game Boards mentioned it looked like it was using the wireless module mentioned in this NFG thread, the NRF24L01+ by Nordic Semiconductors.

The description mentions that you have to solder your own bumper buttons which doesn't seem like too much hassle. Current price is $ 54.30 shipped. Just wondering if anybody has one or has come across any impressions? Hopefully, the Retro-bit releases deliver but might be something to explore if those pads aren't up to scratch perhaps.

Edit: wrong credit, NFGgames thread

Last edited by Gunstar on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Saturn 2.4G Wireless controller kit
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:46 pm 

I would definitely be interested in these...but not until there's some substantial feedback from users on them –– $50+ is too much to waste if it's garbage and I'm not being a guinea pig!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:17 pm 

Looking at the wireless board and battery that seems to be what the wireless panzer use which is great and the battery last a very long time..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:11 am 

@Dochartaigh - Yep, I'm still undecided if I want to gamble on this but I'm more inclined now that I've realised that Retro bit aren't putting out an original form factor Bluetooth pad and those pads are chunky (they could still feel nice to hold to be fair). There's a possibility that the 2.4g kit is perhaps a board being manufactured for someone else that is being sold 'under the table' and will be seen in some upcoming announcement? pure speculation on my part.

@SNK-NEO-GEO - thanks for the info! good to know about the quality of those two particular parts. I guess lag is the only real question left hmm

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:53 pm 

I was really interested in these PCBs but decided to wait for the retro bit announcement before buying one. I'm sure the retro bit controllers will be nice, but I want the original form factor.

Dochartaigh wrote:
I would definitely be interested in these...but not until there's some substantial feedback from users on them –– $50+ is too much to waste if it's garbage and I'm not being a guinea pig!

Don't worry! I'll be the guinea pig. I just bought one of them with the EMS shipping so they should arrive in a couple of weeks. I'll report back and post my impressions.

Last edited by hugo19941994 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:38 am 

Retro-bit products looking low-tier and disappointing.. unfortunately not surprised.

The 2.4 kit is promising but yes, way too much $$$. And at this point there is also the issue of the age of the rubber internals on any genuine Saturn pad you might still be able to find - the very reason for the interest in Retro-bit's offerings. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:34 pm 

hugo19941994 wrote:
I was really interested in these PCBs but decided to wait for the retro bit announcement before buying one. I'm sure the retro bit controllers will be nice, but I want the original form factor.

Dochartaigh wrote:

Don't worry! I'll be the guinea pig. I just bought on of them with the EMS shipping so they should arrive in a couple of weeks. I'll report back and post my impressions.

The hero we deserve! Thanks for taking a gamble on one of these.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:47 pm 

The kit arrived on monday but I didn't have time to assemble it until today. It honestly works great, just like Krikzz's Joyzz or the Wavebird. I was able to beat the arcade mode of Sega Rally with it. If a 240p test suite ever comes out for the Sega Saturn i'd test the input lag with it.

However, unlike the battery in the original photos, the one I got looks like it's a bit shorter. This means that it doesn't really fit neatly in between the top of the controller and the start button. It has too much room and if you shake the controller you can hear it move around.

On the emitter side there is an extra cable, but it doesn't do any harm to be honest. I guess if you have the translucent controller you might dislike it though.

There weren't any shoulder buttons, no surprises there. Both the controller and the receiver have a green led when they are on. Also one of the chips is scratched on top, not really sure why.

I'm happy with the purchase. It was what I expected. Nothing more, nothing less. As for the battery moving I guess you could put a tiny bit of glue to solve it, but then you are stuck with that shell so I'd rather not do it.

Last edited by hugo19941994 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:03 pm 

Thanks for the review! I might pick one up now. That extra wire is probably the antenna.

What do you mean by no shoulder buttons? Looks like it has the button for the original shoulder buttons to hit, right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 pm 

They scrub chips to make it harder to clone stuff. You can't copy a device if you don't know what it is....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:10 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:
Thanks for the review! I might pick one up now. That extra wire is probably the antenna.

What do you mean by no shoulder buttons? Looks like it has the button for the original shoulder buttons to hit, right?

Nope the PCB didn't come with those shoulder buttons. You have to desolder them from another controller and solder them here. That's what I did anyway. Maybe someone sells replacement buttons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:38 pm 

Thanks for the pics and the impressions, it sounds really cool and I'm glad it's not a dud. In one of those links to a forum, it was mentioned the battery was 1200mah giving you 50hours of reported use, I believe that was for the v2.0 which it could be why the one you have is shorter. I read 30hours being the playtime in some post which I'm speculating is what you'd get from the v3.0. It should be possible to mod this with a 1200mah, right?
v2.0 pics:
If you can find the specific receivers the pad will work on PS3/MD/SFC too which is neat and requests to the creator are asking for PCusb, NGC and XB1 of which he said he was looking into (although that was back in 2016).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:07 pm 

hugo19941994 wrote:
Nope the PCB didn't come with those shoulder buttons. You have to desolder them from another controller and solder them here. That's what I did anyway. Maybe someone sells replacement buttons.

Gotcha. That kinda stinks, but no problem for me to solder them. Did you have any problems getting the angle (of the part you soldered on) exactly right so the shoulder buttons worked like they should?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:38 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:
hugo19941994 wrote:

Gotcha. That kinda stinks, but no problem for me to solder them. Did you have any problems getting the angle (of the part you soldered on) exactly right so the shoulder buttons worked like they should?

Not really. They fit in pretty snugly. Desoldering was more of a pain though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:02 am 

That's a pretty crazy omission from a retail kit.

I take it that Saturn controller, which looks to be well-worn, is holding up well after all this time?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:02 am 

Not a big deal, but that are the specs of the charger? I'm wondering if we can switch in a micro USB port like everything else charges with (actually on second thought, it's usually the board itself which shuts off charging when the battery is full - but who knows, it might be the charger itself so it might be safer to stick with their stock charger).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:52 pm 

Ordered! We'll see how it is when it gets here in 15-45 days lol (I wasn't paying like $28 for the faster shipping!).

I'm torn between installing it in a USA/black controller or one of my gray/Japan style ones...probably black so it matches the console ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:07 pm 

Does this kit work with the larger US Saturn controllers or the smaller Japanese controllers?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:00 pm 

Anyone mind posting a picture of the Saturns receiver pins to the console? The shell that is being used looks a lot like a third party extension cord that I've bought in the past. The cable works, but its like cheap-o contact paper (think cardboard with foil pads)

Otherwise, looks sweet!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:40 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:
Not a big deal, but that are the specs of the charger? I'm wondering if we can switch in a micro USB port like everything else charges with (actually on second thought, it's usually the board itself which shuts off charging when the battery is full - but who knows, it might be the charger itself so it might be safer to stick with their stock charger).

I don't know if a micro USB would fit through the hole at the back of the controller without trimming a bit of plastic. These rounded DC connectors have a smaller footprint.

mario64 wrote:
Does this kit work with the larger US Saturn controllers or the smaller Japanese controllers?

I don't think it would work with the larger controller version. If it serves as a reference I installed mine using a MK-80313 shell, from a PAL region.

korpse413 wrote:
Anyone mind posting a picture of the Saturns receiver pins to the console? The shell that is being used looks a lot like a third party extension cord that I've bought in the past. The cable works, but its like cheap-o contact paper (think cardboard with foil pads)

Otherwise, looks sweet!!

I couldn't find a way to easily remove the shroud which protects the contacts. However these photos might be helpful. I will say that the receiver doesn't fit as nicely as a stock controller plug, but I leave it plugged in 24/7, so it really doesn't bother me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:53 pm 

hugo19941994 wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:

I don't know if a micro USB would fit through the hole at the back of the controller without trimming a bit of plastic. These rounded DC connectors have a smaller footprint.

Spoiler: show

mario64 wrote:

I don't think it would work with the larger controller version. If it serves as a reference I installed mine using a MK-80313 shell, from a PAL region.

korpse413 wrote:

Otherwise, looks sweet!!

I couldn't find a way to easily remove the shroud which protects the contacts. However these photos might be helpful. I will say that the receiver doesn't fit as nicely as a stock controller plug, but I leave it plugged in 24/7, so it really doesn't bother me.

Spoiler: show

Perfect photos, thank you!! As long as they are working that is all that matters! This will be going on my holiday wish list

Offline Profile