Tilt or rise a CRT

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Tilt or rise a CRT

Post by shmupsrocks »

My CRT and joystick will be on my desktop so I should either tilt the CRT or put it on a pretty tall riser so I'm looking straight at the screen. I can raise and lower the desk which should help. Any ideas for either tilting or rising it?
shmupsrocks

Re: Tilt or rise a CRT

Post by shmupsrocks »

Another way to do this would be to bring the desktop to the right height for the TV and get a stand for the joystick. Anybody use a joystick stand?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Personally, I would go the ergonomic route. Assuming the desk/table height is adjustable, I would adjust its height so that the joystick/controller is at a comfortable height for me (when either sitting or standing), then I would elevate my display (Monitor riser, stand, and/or thick books) so the top edge of the image is eye-level. If you want a little more of an arcade feel, maybe set the display a little lower and tilt it up.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I think it depends how close you want to be, if you intend to be very close to the tv, then you probably need it to be raised. This can be done by either using a creative method using what you have on hand to build a platform or just buying tv raising kits.

First you need to decide what the ideal height for you is though. The closer you get to the tv the more the discrepancy of the difference between eye level and tv center stands out. I think the ideal spot and way to measure is to imagine the screen section with artificial horizontal lines going across making rectangles. If you picture 6 of them from top to bottom my advice is to have your eyes centered around the 3rd from the top, or in simpler words slightly above center. Some others think it's best to be spot on center, but I find it tends to be more tiring to look up than down so personally I prefer having my eyes slightly higher than center. Some people actually prefer having the tv much lower, some even prefer higher, in the end it's all a matter of preference.

Tilting is probably ok but I wouldn't recommend it. It's probably better to leave it straight, but maybe that's just me.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I agree, I think I need something to raise my 14" PVM up off of the desktop. I checked Amazon earlier but didn't find anything that looks like it would work and I don't want to build something for it. Has anyone seen something good for this?