Is the XRGB-2 Plus worth for PS2-era games?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tongshadow

Is the XRGB-2 Plus worth for PS2-era games?

Post by tongshadow »

SO yea, I randomly found a rare XRGB-2 Plus for sale, and it's like 60% cheaper than the average asked price for a XRGB mini.

I already own an upscaler, the DVDO VP30+ABT102 card. I'm very satisified with it for my current consoles (Xbox, PSP, PS2 and PS3), it has very little lag (6ms on Gamemode 1, 23ms on Gamemode 2) but I was wondering if adding an XRGB-2 Plus would be an improvement over the DVDO alone.

I know that the XRGB-2 Plus doesnt support 480p, which kinda sucks for the Xbox, but would it be a wise investement if Im planning on geting 240p sources down the road?
Fudoh

Re: Is the XRGB-2 Plus worth for PS2-era games?

Post by Fudoh »

Not worth getting with the OSSC available. OSSC will give you better quality on 240p and 480p sources, while the DVDO is better for 480i than both the OSSC and the XRGB-2+.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Not worth it for PS2.

But...

FWIW, XRGB-1, 2, and 2+ are still worth a look if you have composite sources. The Retrotink2x composite output is low quality.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

orange808 wrote:FWIW, XRGB-1, 2, and 2+ are still worth a look if you have composite sources. The Retrotink2x composite output is low quality.
This is really great to know, thanks.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Fudoh wrote:Not worth getting with the OSSC available. OSSC will give you better quality on 240p and 480p sources, while the DVDO is better for 480i than both the OSSC and the XRGB-2+.
Yea I definitely would get the OSSC if I could, but it's incredibly rare around these parts and importing isnt really an option for me right now.

I just thought that a dedicated vintage gaming scaler like the XRGB-2 plus would perform better than something like the DVDO that's more geared towards home theaters and projetors.
I read the review on your site, even though it was mostly about the XRGB-3, I had the impression that the 2+ wouldnt be too far behind.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you had a significant number of 240p sources you could put the XRGB before the DVDO and use it for such sources, but for PS2 you want a good deinterlacer for 480i titles (which the XRGB isn't, but the DVDO is) and for 480p you want a conversion to digital which is losless as possible (which the XRGB can't do and the DVDO is OK, but not great at).

Deinterlacing of 480i sources on the XRGB will use a single field doubling which looks significant sharper than GM1 on your DVDO, but doesn't offer the detail GM2 gives you. The deinterlacing is actually quite similar to what you'd get on the OSSC.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Fudoh wrote:If you had a significant number of 240p sources you could put the XRGB before the DVDO and use it for such sources, but for PS2 you want a good deinterlacer for 480i titles (which the XRGB isn't, but the DVDO is) and for 480p you want a conversion to digital which is losless as possible (which the XRGB can't do and the DVDO is OK, but not great at).

Deinterlacing of 480i sources on the XRGB will use a single field doubling which looks significant sharper than GM1 on your DVDO, but doesn't offer the detail GM2 gives you. The deinterlacing is actually quite similar to what you'd get on the OSSC.
Really there just isn't one perfect scaling solution. OSSC is damn good though and it's what I would go with if I was getting into it fresh and only cared about video games.