Losing a Bit of Image to Overscan on a Sony 34XBR910

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Roboplodicus

Losing a Bit of Image to Overscan on a Sony 34XBR910

Post by Roboplodicus »

I picked up a Sony KV-34XBR910 a few months ago and have been really impressed with the image I'm getting out of this 15 year old screen but even after changing a few things in the service menu the screen is still not diplaying a decent amount of the image it ought to be displaying. I only changed the Hsiz/Vsiz and hpos/vpos in the service menu, and while I was able to get some of the image that was off screen on screen, if I had changed the values any more I would have just gotten black bars on the sides and top/bottom. It would be really sweet if I didn't need to open the tv up, although I've been thinking about doing a recap, which I've been told might help.
ShadowofBob

Re: Losing a Bit of Image to Overscan on a Sony 34XBR910

Post by ShadowofBob »

You'll have to adjust the MID3 (software scaling) of each resolution you are trying to play in. I used a small checkerboard pattern in 240p test suite(running at 480p and 480i) when I did mine to get even pixel sizing. When there's no alternating vertical or horizontal pattern in the checkerboard it's even. From there I adjusted the raster with HSIZ/VSIZ and HPOS/VPOS in 2170D-1 and 2170D-2 to get the most of the image in view. It wasn't quite perfect, but provides the best most consistent image with very little overscan.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

My XBR910 has significant overscan from the factory. A recap won’t fix that. It’s inherent to the CRT design and we can only tweak it with the service menu and scaling options. The day the PS3 launched I recall that the BD menu options for the bundled Talladega Nights Legend of Ricky Bobby were completely off the screen. :)

Looks amazing though.

My only complaint back then was that the scaled made a moire pattern in much of The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker if you played on GameCube with progressive scan component cables. It didn’t happen with the Wii so I learned on day 1 (November 19th, 2006) that the GC component was superior. :)
Roboplodicus

Post by Roboplodicus »

ShadowofBob wrote:You'll have to adjust the MID3 (software scaling) of each resolution you are trying to play in. I used a small checkerboard pattern in 240p test suite(running at 480p and 480i) when I did mine to get even pixel sizing. When there's no alternating vertical or horizontal pattern in the checkerboard it's even. From there I adjusted the raster with HSIZ/VSIZ and HPOS/VPOS in 2170D-1 and 2170D-2 to get the most of the image in view. It wasn't quite perfect, but provides the best most consistent image with very little overscan.
I messed around with with the HSIZ/VSIZ and HPOS/VPOS and I got some more of the image on screen, but I'm definitely still losing a bit are there any other settings that affect overscan or am I out of luck?
ShadowofBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

There's the digital scaling which is handled on MID3 - 480p, 720p (and 1080i?) and MID2 - 480i content. These are resolution and 4:3/16:9 mode(and input?) specific. The settings in 2170D-1 and 2170D-2 are universal and affect the actual raster("canvas") size which the digital scaling is displayed on. Get MID3 set best you can before it starts glitching out then adjust the 2170D-1 and 2170D-2 sections. Then try going back to MID3. Again, I recommend setting w/ a small checkerboard to achieve even pixel sizing rather than trying to get the entirety of the image viewable. I suppose trying to get a full image won't look that bad if you are using the TV for only 3D content.
Once at MID3, you use 0 (VDHP horizontal position), 1 (VDHS horizontal size), 2 (VDVE vertical position) and 3 (VDVS vertical size) to manipulate the "image" on top of the "background" (i.e. within the "background raster"). Again, use 3/6 buttons to adjust one unit at a time up or down and watch what happens on the screen. It will be obvious what you're doing and what effect you're having.
Check out more from oldirtdog's post here. It goes over the process of setting overscan.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/64-direc ... -thru.html

Ignore most everything else in that thread as it isn't really correct/accurate.
Roboplodicus

Post by Roboplodicus »

ShadowofBob wrote:There's the digital scaling which is handled on MID3 - 480p, 720p (and 1080i?) and MID2 - 480i content. These are resolution and 4:3/16:9 mode(and input?) specific. The settings in 2170D-1 and 2170D-2 are universal and affect the actual raster("canvas") size which the digital scaling is displayed on. Get MID3 set best you can before it starts glitching out then adjust the 2170D-1 and 2170D-2 sections. Then try going back to MID3. Again, I recommend setting w/ a small checkerboard to achieve even pixel sizing rather than trying to get the entirety of the image viewable. I suppose trying to get a full image won't look that bad if you are using the TV for only 3D content.
Once at MID3, you use 0 (VDHP horizontal position), 1 (VDHS horizontal size), 2 (VDVE vertical position) and 3 (VDVS vertical size) to manipulate the "image" on top of the "background" (i.e. within the "background raster"). Again, use 3/6 buttons to adjust one unit at a time up or down and watch what happens on the screen. It will be obvious what you're doing and what effect you're having.
Check out more from oldirtdog's post here. It goes over the process of setting overscan.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/64-direc ... -thru.html

Ignore most everything else in that thread as it isn't really correct/accurate.
When I change VDHP, VDHS, VDVE and VDVS in MID3 nothing happens to the image on screen. If I made changes in the service menu to reduce latency and changed YOSW to 0, HDPT to 0 and MIDE to 63, is that bypassing software scaling so then changing the MID3 settings wouldn't do anything?
ShadowofBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

Roboplodicus wrote:
When I change VDHP, VDHS, VDVE and VDVS in MID3 nothing happens to the image on screen. If I made changes in the service menu to reduce latency and changed YOSW to 0, HDPT to 0 and MIDE to 63, is that bypassing software scaling so then changing the MID3 settings wouldn't do anything?
Hmm perhaps, I'm haven't done all that on mine yet so I can't say the effects it would have. I have turned HDPT to 0, but that seems to only affect 1080i. If the other settings are truly bypassing ALL digital manipulation then that would include MID3. Maybe try setting those back to default and seeing what it does?