Remote Power Switch for Powering on Consoles

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ViraLicious

Remote Power Switch for Powering on Consoles

Post by ViraLicious »

Hi,

I have a general question to you technically knowledgeable folks out there. I have always loved being able to reset a console remotely via either a button combination or through the use of a interface - basically anything that renders you not having to leave the comfort of your couch. I primarily use EverDrives and alike for my consoles so I can access and load a wide library of games, simply because I enjoy being able to jump back and forth between my games with ease. Flash carts like the awesome SD2SNES gives you the option reset the console back to the main menu, whilst others like the great EverDrive N8 for the NES sadly lack this feature. I have recently been in pursuit of finding a solution for the consoles that don't support IGR (in game reset), like the NES, PS1 etc.

I bought and just tried using a remote power switch for the NES (the kind you use for light switches in your everyday smart home) and so far it works like a charm! The console's power button is always left in the "ON" position, but is powered on and off via the remote controlled power socket. However, I am wondering whether this might be a potentially harmful solution for the consoles and their circuits when booting up and "resetting" (resetting = by cutting and turning the energy on/off) the console in this manner. The reason for my concern is, to my understanding and from what I have heard, the reset switch on a console reboots the console as a soft boot (meaning, it doesn't cut the energy to the console but resets the chips on a software level). The reset switch is there for a reason I assume, though a few consoles like the Dreamcast lack a reset button natively (but can be added through modification). I don't want to damage my consoles simply because I am too lazy/comfortable to get up and push the reset button.

So, is there reason for concern and would it affect the longevity of my consoles? Will I wear out the console faster this way or potentially harm the power supply or perhaps even the motherboard and its circuits?

Thank you for reading,
Vira
mvsfan

Re: Remote Power Switch for Powering on Consoles

Post by mvsfan »

x10 remote or something similar will work. it will work for everything including the PS1, but not many systems released after it. you just plug a module into the outlet you want to control and plug your system into it, and set up which channel you want the module on.

the remote has a lot of on/off switches. you can use 1 for each console that has a hard power switch.

it wont work for the ps2 or anything that has a soft off or standby feature.

I dont think that it will damage your consoles ive been using mine for years.

it worked great for me.
ViraLicious

Re: Remote Power Switch for Powering on Consoles

Post by ViraLicious »

mvsfan wrote:x10 remote or something similar will work. it will work for everything including the PS1, but not many systems released after it. you just plug a module into the outlet you want to control and plug your system into it, and set up which channel you want the module on.

the remote has a lot of on/off switches. you can use 1 for each console that has a hard power switch.

it wont work for the ps2 or anything that has a soft off or standby feature.

I dont think that it will damage your consoles ive been using mine for years.

it worked great for me.
Oh you have? Cool - that's good news then! :) I have only used it on my NES thus far to test whether it works or not. I would love to have it on all my consoles and might just invest a bit more to actually get one for each.

Thinking about if there's a workaround for the PS2. I know there's a power on mod you can do for the Xbox which I am planning to do. Would be awesome if there's a similar mod of some kind for the PS2 which allows you to power it up remotely.