Best Neo or Saturn shmup controller

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Best Neo or Saturn shmup controller

Post by shmupsrocks »

What is your favorite controller for shmups? I'll be using the CBOX so either Neo Geo or Saturn controllers will work.
shmupsrocks

Re: Best Neo or Saturn shmup controller

Post by shmupsrocks »

How about the Hori Fighting Stick?
Kez

Post by Kez »

If you want a controller the Neo CD one is quite nice as it is microswitched. The official Neo Geo stick is also nice and the regular Saturn mk 2 controller is pretty great too.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Neo Geo is a simple common ground joystick setup so if you buy a connector and some wire you could use most pads available.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

If you’re playing shmups, nothing comes close to a stick. The same is true for fighters, but with shmups it is not as important to get top end gear as it is for fighters. You can get a big step up using a Zippy syick and generic buttons. With Neogeo, as mentioned earlier in thread, you do not need to use a controller pcb or encoder. You will need wires, a db15 connector and a cable.

If you don’t want to build or mod an arcade-style controller, then the best options will be the official Neo Geo stick, the Saturn Virtua Stick (j-version), or the saturn Hori Stick.

The official Japanese Saturn controller is pretty hard to beat for just about anything, although some things will always be better on a stick and shmups are one of those things. The American Saturn controller mk.1 is actually pretty good, too, and has a nice dpad once you get used to it.

The Neo Geo CD joypads are amazing, and almost as good as a stick. The problem is that the microswitches in the stick go bad and there is no real replacement part available. They made a variant of this controller with six face buttons and shoulder buttons for the PS2. That is just about the best pad ever, but it will cost you a pretty penny.

All that being said, Shmupsrocks, this is the fifth thread of yours on the front page, and each thread is relating to your consolized MVS project. There is no reason for this not to be in a single thread.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Sorry for the separate threads. I'll go on new thread hiatus.

I'm curious why you recommend the Saturn Hori over the Neo Geo Hori?
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

I didn’t. I just forgot about the Neo Hori. I’m not sure if there is a quality difference. I’d take either Hori over an official Neo stick of either variant.

I would definitely still go with the Saturn Hori over the Neo Hori for two big BIG reasons.

The first is that the Saturn version just has more action buttons, and the second is that it works on Saturn as well as (in your very specific use case) NeoGeo.

The Saturn is basically the best shmup machine ever and it is full of other fantastic arcade ports of all genres. If I could only choose one platform to have a good stick for, it would be Saturn. No contest. Also, Saturn has the best SNK ports. If yours can play backups (easy as buying a cartridge online), then you can save a bit of cash on Metal Slug 1, Kof 97, RBFFS, and SamSho4 by playing the fantastic Saturn ports. Slug in particular got a great port with only a tiny amount of loading, and only between levels.