Neo Geo consolized MVS?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Neo Geo consolized MVS?

Post by shmupsrocks »

Does anyone know of a builder of Neo Geo CMVS consoles besides JNX and Omega which are both really backed up with orders?
Fudoh

Re: Neo Geo consolized MVS?

Post by Fudoh »

Consider getting the AliExpress one. I mean it's really ridiculously cheap compared to everything else. You get the Saturn controller ports on top and it's proven to work very well.

JNX is a joke (sorry to say). I understand that he's backed up, but not even replying when I email him within 20 seconds of him opening orders is just not acceptable. I can't even start to imagine how many requests he got compared to what he's able to provide. This won't change and so there's no point in giving anybody hope to actually be able to get one.

Omega is OK. You wait roughly 3 months, but that's something I can work with. You don't have to beg to pay him...
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

You know what, I think you're right. That's this one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-JAM ... 52119.html
billcosbymon

Post by billcosbymon »

Fudoh wrote:Consider getting the AliExpress one. I mean it's really ridiculously cheap compared to everything else. You get the Saturn controller ports on top and it's proven to work very well.

JNX is a joke (sorry to say). I understand that he's backed up, but not even replying when I email him within 20 seconds of him opening orders is just not acceptable. I can't even start to imagine how many requests he got compared to what he's able to provide. This won't change and so there's no point in giving anybody hope to actually be able to get one.

Omega is OK. You wait roughly 3 months, but that's something I can work with. You don't have to beg to pay him...
Which listing are you referring to?
dak1

Post by dak1 »

Why not get a HAS supergun instead?
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

dak1 wrote:Why not get a HAS supergun instead?
We have a HAS at the office, and while it is well working and nicely engineered, the open power wiring feels hazardous to some (operating it and assembling it).
So wanting a pre-assembled and closed appliance is not unthinkable :wink: especially when there are children (or unsuspecting and clumsy adults) around.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I just read up on the HAS and it sounds awesome. Are there a lot of great shmups to use it with besides the MVS ones?

Having said that, the exposed wiring and electronics are a concern for me too.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I was reading that some people use resistors in their RGB lines going to a PVM. Is that necessary with a CMVS?
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Honestly avoid Omega and stay as far as possible from it. It's a really badly built system. The maker Quan doesn't know what he's doing. I've seen several and all are built identically with all the same issues. They come out like in a factory. Also he uses an outdated video processor, and so the video is very noisy through all connections, and will have issues such as a dancing image on certain tv's (most notably any mid range consumer Sony).

JNX is in a different league though, the maker James is an ace in his trade, and you won't be finding any issues with his build. He really loves what he does and it shows. I've never seen a single complaint against his consoles. He also does repairs.

Analogue used to make a model but seems to be discontinued. The maker Chris had the terrible idea of using wood as the frame, and they tend to warp with time. Also the internals are ok but not that much better than the Omega to be honest.
Last edited by Taiyaki on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Fudoh wrote:Consider getting the AliExpress one. I mean it's really ridiculously cheap compared to everything else. You get the Saturn controller ports on top and it's proven to work very well.

Yeah that's not really a fair assessment, what happened is JNX got reviewed on a major youtube channel, and he suddenly got drowned in orders, he still hangs around the Neo Geo community and helps people out when he can, he's slow on orders cause he spends more time on each individual unit.

Omega is also not really ok, have you ever opened one up? If it's for a PVM or something it might not make a difference. I had tried mine on a 2013 Sony lcd and the image was bouncing up and down a few pixels in a continuous manner, on consumer crt's the image had a wave distortion wiggle type dancing image over a few pixels, and this occurred on other Omega's at other people's place too, they just hadn't been bothered by it till I pointed it out. It's really not ok for him to charge so much for a cmvs of that quality imo.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Unfortunately the JNX is unobtainable currently. What else should I try? Have you seen the AliExpress one called CBOX? I only need RGB and stereo audio.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

The aliexpress ones are the best for the money. they cost a fraction what everything else does and the component video output and saturn ports are solid. it uses an original MV-1C motherboard so there arent any compatibility issues its the real deal.

However there are a lot of options for the CBOX. Some are low-optioned and dont come with component video output or saturn control ports.
Personally i wouldnt bother with one of those. the ones with the extras are better.

After adding a battery to it (for some odd reason it doesnt have one installed) and correcting RGB's SYNC to 75 ohm if you use it on an rgb monitor (i wouldnt bother if your using a consumer crt, its not nessesary to fix because your converting to component anyway. :)

Like fudoh told me, just dont buy it on Amazon. the price is a lot higher there.

It has sega saturn control ports, and
as a benefit, the Sega saturn has some really nice arcade sticks for it to use.

the whole setup cost me around $290 with the cables, Cbox and arcade controllers.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

shmupsrocks wrote:Unfortunately the JNX is unobtainable currently. What else should I try? Have you seen the AliExpress one called CBOX? I only need RGB and stereo audio.
The AliExpress one I haven't seen in person so I can't judge it too well, but there's a thread about it at the Neo Geo Forums, and overall consensus does not look that good, but if you have to pick between it and Omega I'd probably go with the AliExpress to be honest.

Here's the thread, hope this helps:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... olized-MVS

Meanwhile I found that old video from the Neo Geo forums showing the wobble you'd experience on the Omega on most late Sony crt's. This happens on all connections. I heard Quan was made aware of the issue, was able to test it and confirm it on his own units, but since he didn't know how to correct it he just deemed it a non issue and blamed the tv's that were experiencing the issue lol.

https://youtu.be/fidh9pltpzw
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Yeah that's not really a fair assessment, what happened is JNX ...
yeah, but the YT video wasn't THIS recent and he still went ahead and announced preorders on Facebook. Nothing personal against him and of course a GREAT CMVS he's offering, but the way we was (or is) handling order requests isn't the way to go and it causes nothing but frustration.
Omega is also not really ok, have you ever opened one up? ... It's really not ok for him to charge so much for a cmvs of that quality imo.
it's too expensive, yes, but I think we both have to admit that his case is nice indeed and after all it's a standard MVS board inside, so any tech problems seem fixable. You probably just have to throw out his video encoder and tap RGB directly from the PCB. And yes, I tried mine and yes I'm aware of the problems. It's not performing very Framemeister-friendly. My statement above was merely about the way Arcadeworks is handling orders and how long it takes to get one. If it's worth it or if it needs some custom work before it's usable is a different topic. Sorry for possibly not phrasing this correctly.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

It looks like the CBOX needs modification to be safe for RGB output:

https://twitter.com/citrus3000psi/statu ... 3720065026

Unfortunately I don't have the skills for this. It seems finding a decent CMVS is currently impossible.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Could I buy a cable with a resistor built into the RGB sync line instead of modifying the board?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Yes, you can do it in the cable just as well. Or you can use the component output instead, which is perfectly safe.
moltomolto

Post by moltomolto »

I have an Omega and am really happy with it. But I only use it on a PVM, so I'm unfamiliar with the issues on modern displays people are mentioning.

The customer service was pretty abysmal, but if you're OK with just waiting a few months and not messaging them for anything then it's a good buy IMO. Really nice AES style case and at least on my PVM looks and performs great.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Ok that might work. Is there a place that makes specialty cables like that?
werk91

Post by werk91 »

The same Aliexpress store that sells the CBOX also sells an RGB Scart cable for it. Not too cheap but if compatability is guaranteed then its a better option I imagine. Also seems to have an external RCA cable attached to the Scart head so you can take stereo sound from the back of the unit directly.

Link
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Some of the more recent Cbox consoles actually use a 10-pin sega saturn connector for rgb instead of the neo geo one.

youd have to check your cbox when you order it to see which cable you need.

mine had a sega saturn connector.

and no, you dont need that 75 ohm adapter. just tell her to attenuate your cable that you order to 75 ohm, for a cbox.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

werk91, nice find, I guess the Din8 port on these does audio.

mvsfan, did the CBOX you ordered show a Din8 and then arrive with a Saturn port or it indicated a Saturn port when you ordered it?
dak1

Post by dak1 »

schleichfahrt wrote:
dak1 wrote:Why not get a HAS supergun instead?
We have a HAS at the office, and while it is well working and nicely engineered, the open power wiring feels hazardous to some (operating it and assembling it).
So wanting a pre-assembled and closed appliance is not unthinkable :wink: especially when there are children (or unsuspecting and clumsy adults) around.
You don't necessarily have to use an arcade style power source if it makes you uncomfortable. You can use one that looks like the ones used with laptops or other electronics etc. A cable with a black box... You can find more info on the HAS threads.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:JNX is a joke (sorry to say). I understand that he's backed up, but not even replying when I email him within 20 seconds of him opening orders is just not acceptable.
Hey I emailed him in the first 5 seconds of him opening orders, never got a reply and from the looks of it my name isn't even up there on his latest posted list of names.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I bought mine off of ebay. I had to ask the seller which video port it had. When i bought it, i had already been looking at the cbox on aliexpress and was aware that there were two different video ports available.