Cheap Plasma HDTV or wait?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lawfer

Re: Cheap Plasma HDTV or wait?

Post by Lawfer »

Is there such as thing as a 10-bit Plasma?
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

citrus3000psi wrote:
Revolver Ocelot wrote:
Anybody of you using LG Plasma here in the forum? What do you think about them?
I have 60" 2013 LG plasma. I got it because it was pretty cheap and needed something to replace a pioneer unit. I've heard the input lag is high, but haven't tested myself. Maybe my biggest complaint is that that if forces grey bars for 4:3 modes. I cannot select black (I'm assuming this is to help with burn in) But its very annoying. I could hookup a video processor to take care of it but that is more lag.

It does handle all resolutions I've thrown at it.
Thanks for the report.

The thing with the grey bars does not look that encouraging though.

I am talking about the LG 50PK760 btw. I could get one for 50 euro which is really good.

But not certain if I take it. I am still in the process of finding out how the samsung f8500 is called in Europe and if it is as good as the US Model.

Also need to research about the Imput lag. Getting a tv which can display all signals and a moderate imput lag are very important to me.

I do not expect perfect imput lag but it should be moderate enough so that the extra lag the Framemeister does won't be a big problem.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Lawfer wrote:Is there such as thing as a 10-bit Plasma?
Don't know how much truth this has to it, but it at least sounds correct: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread ... ost1361618

The older professional Panasonic I have was advertised as having 14-bit color processing. I always assumed that was marketing fluff, but if plasma panels are driven with an analog signal, that could be the precision of the internal DAC. Either way I don't believe it has any sort of support for a 10-bit input signal, unless there's an HD-SDI input card that would allow for it.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

None of the lg plasmas I've tested accept 240p over component or RGBHV if that matters to you
Revolver Ocelot

maxtherabbit wrote:None of the lg plasmas I've tested accept 240p over component or RGBHV if that matters to you
Thats good to know. Thanks for the Information. In the near future that is not a big Problem, because for 240p i use my Framemeister, but in case the FM dies and I have to plug in the 240p consoles directly this could be a big Problem.So I will remove the LGs from my list and just Keep looking for Samsung.

Would be also tempted to try to hunt down a Pioneer Kuro TV but they are hard to find.

As I am also quite happy with 4k Panasonic LCD getting a Panasonic would also be a Option.

But so far I could only find a hd ready panasonic and no FHD.

FHD is not necessary for Retro gaming of Course (the tv will only be used for Retro gaming) but I am not sure how well the Framemeister work with 720p. On my 4k Screen I only used the 1080p Settings and was always happy about it.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Wonders if there are less lag for Panels that have a lower resolution?

Here is one that I'm currently looking at that is local

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Samsung-SP-R4212.htm
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Can't be generalized. I would say those sets with plenty of picture processing options tend to have more lag than those without. The H4500 which I had a few years back was very responsive, probably considerably better than the higher end F8000 series.

Only go for an ED plasma (ED = 480p) if you intend to only use 240p and 480p sources. They're really not ideal for any HD sources. XGA plasma panels are ultra common (1024x768, even for 16:9 panels). They deliver a solid picture on 42/43" sets. I don't see a point in going for a 16:9 ED panel of that age when you can really pick up the last gen plasma sets (2013) for just a few $$ more.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:I don't see a point in going for a 16:9 ED panel
What video gaming console source use such a setup natively? PS3, Xbox 360, PS TV and Wii U? (I know I remember you telling me that the Wii doesn't do this natively, as it just takes a 4:3 output and stretch it to fit a 16:9 screen).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

horizontally you can match any 4:3 480p source if you're not completely anal about 100% perfect AR. But eventually horizontal 1:1 mapping is not this important. Vertical mapping is.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:horizontally you can match any 4:3 480p source if you're not completely anal about 100% perfect AR. But eventually horizontal 1:1 mapping is not this important. Vertical mapping is.
So 480p is more important than 640/720/854? Why is that? Isn't it fine if there's some overscan in order for the picture to fit the screen?

Like getting PSP to output on a 16:9 screen, you can either have 1920x1088 (resulting in some overscan), or 1905x1080 (resulting in some pillarboxing).
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Fudoh wrote:Can't be generalized. I would say those sets with plenty of picture processing options tend to have more lag than those without. The H4500 which I had a few years back was very responsive, probably considerably better than the higher end F8000 series.

Only go for an ED plasma (ED = 480p) if you intend to only use 240p and 480p sources. They're really not ideal for any HD sources. XGA plasma panels are ultra common (1024x768, even for 16:9 panels). They deliver a solid picture on 42/43" sets. I don't see a point in going for a 16:9 ED panel of that age when you can really pick up the last gen plasma sets (2013) for just a few $$ more.
Good to know thanks for the input Fudoh

I'll keep shopping around
Revolver Ocelot

The discussion is getting more and more interesting. So you guys say it is better to get a latest gen Plasma with a real FHD Panel over the 1,024 x 768 Panels?

Would be fine with me. I am a Framemeister so i can use the FHD Resolution to the fullest with my Retro consoles (Saturn, Dreamcast, gamecube and n64) A full HD Display would be advantageous for playing curent gen consoles and watching Blu Ray too. Just in case I like the Image of my upcoming Plasma more than the Image of my current gen 4k Panasonic TV. :mrgreen:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

On a XGA set you cannot get proper scanlines with a 720p source unless you underscan it to create a 1:1 line match. On the Full HD sets that's usually not a problem with the 720p to 1080p scaling being good enough to keep scanlines "alive".
Roboplodicus

Post by Roboplodicus »

Do any of you have any idea which plasma sets would have the least input delay? I love the motion clarity of plasma displays but the latency is kind of killer.