Sony BVM 201FU (the good one) lol

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bigbangattack

Sony BVM 201FU (the good one) lol

Post by bigbangattack »

Hey Guys,
Thanks ahead for the replies I am trying to get some definitive answers on what will give my current setup the best picture, if the best picture is possible with emulators, and what improvements I can make. Ill begin with my current systems and how they are hooked up to my Sony BVM

Xbox
COINOPS - which emulates a variety of systems, NES SNES Xbox Genesis and N64
hooked up through composite ntsc 0 currently

I have the Xbox to scart and scart to BNC but when I hook it up the blue color doesnt come through
current tv settings when attempting to use scart are as follows
RGB
Slot 6
Sync mode int

When Running through scart the yellow and red come through but blue doesnt show up I can tell bc coinops system has the 4 buttons xaby in the corner and the x which is blue appears black and white.

Playstation 2
PSL loader (basically emulates everything playstation)
set up with component

ignore the green spot its a camera issue

should I run this through scart for possible better picture? also its component but not RGB it works with YUV which idk if there is a way to make it rgb compatible

N64
uses an everdrive so basically I have a cartridge which is has a microsd in it containing every n64 and NES game ever made

I have this set up through Composite for now but am in the process of an RGB mod which I assume I will hook up the same way as playstation either YUV or RGB please let me know if i am mistaken

QUESTIONS

1) what can I do to improve quality of each system

2) would I benefit from using an NES SNES PS1 or NEO GEO with say an everdrive emulator as opposed to using the xbox or ps2 through scart and emulating those systems

3) anything i havent thought of bc ive spent all the time staring at cords until I am blue in the face XD
Kez

Re: Sony BVM 201FU (the good one) lol

Post by Kez »

If you're missing a colour, it's normally a wiring issue. Since other systems work it sounds like the problem is with your SCART cable.

It's unlikely you'll notice any big quality differences between RGB and SCART on your PS2 (assuming the component cable is decent quality). You can run RGB through a SCART cable though meaning you wouldn't need to switch between RGB and YUV.

Once you mod your N64 you will probably connect it up with an RGB SCART cable.
2) would I benefit from using an NES SNES PS1 or NEO GEO with say an everdrive emulator as opposed to using the xbox or ps2 through scart and emulating those systems
Whether you would benefit from original hardware is really your decision. Using the original consoles gives you a more "authentic" feel, use of original controllers, usually less input delay, complete hardware accuracy in the games. However it costs more money - the neo geo in particular is very expensive, uses a lot more space and adds a level of overall complexity to your setup. You also lose out on some benefits like save states (some flash carts support them to some extent though). You can get a Raspberry Pi 3 and turn that into an emulator system, with an addon for proper 240p output to connect to your BVM.. this allows more flexibility in controllers and more current versions of emulators than running them on older systems like the Xbox (although the Xbox has some great emulators).
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

bigbangattack wrote:would I benefit from using an NES SNES PS1 or NEO GEO with say an everdrive emulator as opposed to using the xbox or ps2 through scart and emulating those systems
Correct me if I'm wrong but the original Xbox can ONLY output 480i (and up) i.e. NO 240p, so when playing retro consoles on it (like NES, SNES, PCE, PS1, NG, etc.), it's absolutely the wrong emulation device to be used on a Sony BVM CRT since it can't output the proper 240p signal all those systems used, and furthermore kinda defeats the purpose of owning a 240p compatible CRT if you're going to use it for that.

If you try to do this through PS2, I thought the PS2's emulation was kinda lack-luster (although that system can output 240p).

A hacked Wii is the best to emulate 240p systems on people say, although I prefer the Pi3 like mentioned above simply because I'm more familiar with it.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

bigbangattack wrote:2) would I benefit from using an NES SNES PS1 or NEO GEO with say an everdrive emulator as opposed to using the xbox or ps2 through scart and emulating those systems
The EverDrives and SD2SNES are closer to (if not actually) simulators rather than emulators.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/158 ... 01#1584701
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the original Xbox can ONLY output 480i (and up) i.e. NO 240p
yes, that's right. A XBox definitely isn't a good option to run emulators on a monitor like this (which certainly deserves true 240p sources).

Maybe try a Rasperry Pi with a Retrotink header instead ?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

If you have the time and money, you really want the power of PC emulation. Certainly not cheap or easy to set up, though. I believe OP's monitor will accept a super resolution signal.
We apologise for the inconvenience
bigbangattack

Post by bigbangattack »

The color thing with xbox coin ops isn't a wiring issue I've tried multiple cables
Any ideas