Gamecube: PVM 20L5 vs VGA PC CRT

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Blue_Ray

Re: Gamecube: PVM 20L5 vs VGA PC CRT

Post by Blue_Ray »

BazookaBen wrote:
Blue_Ray wrote: was surprised how good the picture was. Shot from my PVM
It doesn't look like it's 1:1 integer scaling. Look at the faded lines at the bottom of Shatae's hair tie, hands, and pants. Those look like bilinear scaling artifacts.
Hmm, is there a setting I'm missing? I did take it at a 4x zoom in, so I wonder if that's what's causing it.....
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Blue_Ray wrote:
BazookaBen wrote:
Blue_Ray wrote: was surprised how good the picture was. Shot from my PVM
It doesn't look like it's 1:1 integer scaling. Look at the faded lines at the bottom of Shatae's hair tie, hands, and pants. Those look like bilinear scaling artifacts.
Hmm, is there a setting I'm missing? I did take it at a 4x zoom in, so I wonder if that's what's causing it.....
I think it's because you're not using a transcoder, you're using a scaler. Do you have any virtual console games you can run through it? Like a screenshot of Mario or Mega Man and I'll know for sure what's going on.

RECORD SCRATCH: Wait, why aren't you just running the Wii and Gamecube straight to the Olympus with component? You don't have to covert to RGB for that thing.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

for 15khz upscaling it's really rather useless. With 480p input and output you get at least the untouched vertical resolution, you're just losing a little resolution on the vertical. If you throw a checkerboard pattern on screen, you'll see it.
Blue_Ray

Post by Blue_Ray »

BazookaBen wrote: I think it's because you're not using a transcoder, you're using a scaler. Do you have any virtual console games you can run through it? Like a screenshot of Mario or Mega Man and I'll know for sure what's going on.

RECORD SCRATCH: Wait, why aren't you just running the Wii and Gamecube straight to the Olympus with component? You don't have to covert to RGB for that thing.
Well for the Olympus, I don't use the transcoder, just one of the open Component lines. I figured you were talking about the PVM picture since that's the one you quoted my text on. But yeah, the PC CRT is mostly for 480p stuff anyway. I have a Toro box for the Dreamcast that can put scanlines on screen, although I'm sure it's no match for a proper generator like the SLG3000 ^_^;
Blue_Ray

Post by Blue_Ray »

As a follow up, I ended up following the advice and getting a proper transcoding from Component to VGA going. Purchased the Bluesky Component to HDMI Converter and the Tendak Female HDMI to Male VGA Converter, and to my eyes, the picture is MUCH more vibrant than what the Monoprice Component to VGA converter put out (helps it's not doing any scaling)! Really feels like it's a true 480p signal much like the Dreamcast puts out. Only have time to test the Wii before I have to sleep for my work shift tonight, but I'll try some more tomorrow!