CRT Safety Questions I'm Recapping a Set

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Roboplodicus

CRT Safety Questions I'm Recapping a Set

Post by Roboplodicus »

I know before I do anything inside the tv the tube needs to be discharged I was going to use the alligator clips/insulated handle screw driver while wearing gardening gloves to for that. But once I remove/disconnect the boards from a CRT the capacitors will still hold a charge what is the best way to discharge those components?
NoAffinity

Re: CRT Safety Questions I'm Recapping a Set

Post by NoAffinity »

You should be good with your procedure. You really don't need the gloves as long as your screwdriver handle is non-conductive. Hold one hand behind your back when making the contact to discharge, as well. Make sure the power source for the tube is unplugged also, but you probably already know that.

High voltage is what you want to be concerned with, and the reason for discharging. Anything stored in the caps may give a small tingle, but that's about it.
MKL

Post by MKL »

Small tingle? I guess you never touched the smoothing cap for the 25KHz B+ of a dual res monitor. 160V running up your arm isn't nice at all. The caps on the outputs of the power supply need to be checked and discharged with a resistor (6.8K 5W is what I use).
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

I once touched a random capacitator in my Stereo (Panasonic SA-AK27, so nothing fancy or high-powered). That was much more than a small tingle.
rama

Post by rama »

Yeah, careful with the caps!

The tube has very high voltage but can deliver only little current (comparatively).
The power supply capacitors can store a lot of current at "lethal enough" voltage for a long time.
Discharge the caps with the same respect as the picture tube.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Apologies for the mis-statement. :oops: I see now we're talking about TV CRT's, and I was thinking arcade CRT. I defer to the TV CRT folks. And I have been shocked a few times, by arcade CRT's...an ounce of prevention is certainly worth a pound of cure.