Sony BVM D series "initializing" phase issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Sefirosu789

Sony BVM D series "initializing" phase issue

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Hello all,

I'm hoping to get some advice on this issue below.

The monitor was fine before, but since inserting a BKM-20D, the monitor looks like this during the initializing phase.

As soon as "initializing" appears, the screen goes white for a few seconds and these flyback lines appear. The white goes after 2-3 seconds and the flyback lines disappear after the initializing phase has finished.

This does not affect anything outside of the initializing phase but it's still annoying as it was perfectly fine before I tried the BKM 20D. I have since tried it without the BKM 20D, with a BKM 41HD and BKM 42HD but no matter what I use, the problem still persists. Has anyone else experienced this or know a fix?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
philexile

Re: Sony BVM D series "initializing" phase issue

Post by philexile »

i would first try to do a reset of the deflection and video boards via the MAINTENANCE menu while all the upgrade cards are removed.

What were you using the 20D for by the way?
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

philexile wrote:i would first try to do a reset of the deflection and video boards via the MAINTENANCE menu while all the upgrade cards are removed.

What were you using the 20D for by the way?
Hi Philexile, thanks for the reply.

What will this reset do? What will I need to do after I perform the reset? I remember reading that choosing the reset option is not a good idea (probably wrong).

My monitor originally had this set up: Slot 6- analog video board, 5- 21D, 4 - empty, 3&2 - BKM 42HD. I swapped out the BKM 42HD for the 20D (I put it in slot 2 whilst the monitor was fully powered off). Then ever since, my initialising phase is like the above.
I wanted to use the 20D as a third RGB/Component input card because the 42HD's fan was too loud.

I know that some of the earlier BKM-20D's had issues as they wouldn't work with earlier software revisions, however, mine is the latest software and a newer BKM-20D model. I've been trying to find some info but all found was this in the manual:

Code: Select all

p. 20(E)

"When you install a decoder adaptor (BKM 20D/21D/24N/26P/26M/27T), it is connected to the other adaptors installed in your video monitor's input option slots over an internal bus. Therefore, if you install a decoder adaptor for a given signal, you can decode that signal even when it is input to another adaptor"
Perhaps something was "corrupted/broken" on my 20D and it affected all other boards? Strange. The monitor was perfectly fine before I put in the BKM-20D. The copper (radiation) strips are not broken on the 20D which can cause interference and since it happened immediately and was fine before, I don't think it's a cap issue.

edit: I don't see any reset option for the video or deflection modules in the MAINTENANCE menu. But I see that it lists slot 6: Video Amp, slot 7: Deflection in the "Re-load factory data" menu option. Should I do that?
philexile

Post by philexile »

It will reset each of the modules to the factory defaults. Do it if you’d like to try to fix this issue. If this is only present on boot, maybe you’d prefer to leave well enough alone.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

philexile wrote:It will reset each of the modules to the factory defaults. Do it if you’d like to try to fix this issue. If this is only present on boot, maybe you’d prefer to leave well enough alone.
Maybe best if I leave it then in case factory resetting it will cause further problems.

I read this in another thread which made me hesitant to go ahead with the reset:
Skips wrote:Faulting components such as capacitors on the RGB or deflection boards can cause the monitor to have issues after a factory reset (I don't know why I just know they do). Pasky had a problem when resetting his D20F1U. It worked fine until after he reset it and it caused problems with the colors or something. I am not sure if Pasky was able to fix it or not or what component specifically was faulting. I asked Saveonpat (who is a retired Sony Pro technician) and he confirmed this. I think the stock values will be in the service manual.
I don't think mine has any faulty capacitors but I think better to just leave it.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear.

edit: I decided to try and reset the video module and deflection module but after doing "re-load factory data" and the reset completes, the monitor comes back on but the values have not reset and are still the same. Maybe someone knows how to reset it?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Sefirosu789 wrote:since inserting a BKM-20D, the monitor looks like this during the initializing phase.

As soon as "initializing" appears, the screen goes white for a few seconds and these flyback lines appear. The white goes after 2-3 seconds and the flyback lines disappear after the initializing phase has finished.
Could you be more specific about what behaviour you are concerned about? Your picture looks very similar to my bvm-d32e1wu during the startup initialization.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

the Goat wrote:
Sefirosu789 wrote:cut
Could you be more specific about what behaviour you are concerned about? Your picture looks very similar to my bvm-d32e1wu during the startup initialization.
Hi,

Of course. During the start-up the monitor should be a black screen and just have the "INITIALIZING" text. However, about 00:15 seconds into startup until 00:17 seconds, the screen quickly goes white and the flyback lines "bend down" from the top of the screen. The ex-Sony engineer Pat said that it's nothing to worry about. It does not affect ANYTHING else outside of these 2 seconds so it really doesn't matter but I'm just a little OCD!

Here is a video I recorded of the start-up so you can see for yourself: https://youtu.be/3ngdQVLZboc

Does yours have the same issue?