Adding GEN/MD Support to Dual Mod Arcade Stick

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
korpse413

Adding GEN/MD Support to Dual Mod Arcade Stick

Post by korpse413 »

Hey there. Seems like adequate timing since my newly purchased Toodles Cthulhu + Brooks UFB mod is complete along with this announcement of a Brooks Retro Board. I want to add Genesis / Mega Drive support to complete the circle, and for some Thunder Force IV sessions...

I imagine a donor board is the solution here? I know the golden rule is make sure the donor board is common ground (how can one verify?) and tie it in with the UFB / Cthulhu. I would also be adding a DB9 output either male or female to the back of the stick since neutrik RJ45 won't cut it apparently. Just for learning purposes what is this 9th pin that is required for Genesis?

Researching other forums I am thinking of adding instead of a DB9 output but a DB15 for NeoGeo and/or Jamma support?

Has anyone here completed this mod and maybe share some photos or optimal controller boards to donate? I have both OEM and third party controllers, not sure if it matters
Star1

Re: Adding GEN/MD Support to Dual Mod Arcade Stick

Post by Star1 »

The 9th pin would be 5V, to drive the IC in the controller.
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

Star1 wrote:The 9th pin would be 5V, to drive the IC in the controller.
Cool, thanks! Really stupid followup question - can I just instead take that 5 volts from another source other than the console, or is it required for some type of handshake?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Be cautioned that certain models of the genesis pads are not hackable. I have no explanation, but it has been documented by a handful of modders, myself included. Stay completely away from 3rd party controllers for the donor pcb. The models I found to work are: MK-1627 and MK-1653. The MK-1470 would not work, and a cheap Tomee 6-button controller would not work (but in fairness, that piece of s**t is known to not work out of the box). In both cases, random button presses would occur, inputs would output incorrectly after a few minutes of gameplay. I tested with 2 different MK-1470's, and again, others have reported the same thing (although not necessarily identifying the model number as being linked to the problem).

These are 6-button controllers, of course. I never messed with the 3-button controllers as donors, but I was successful with the MK-1627 first, and then gambled that the MK-16** series was the solution to the problem, and had succes with MK-1653. So, by that line of reasoning, any 3-button MK-16** controller should be a safe bet.

Also, if you're going to be using a 6-button controller, you may need to consider how to accomodate the 'mode' button. You may be aware of all this already, but just another word of caution. There are a handful of games that require that the mode button be pressed and held while the genesis is being powered on, in order for the 6-button controller to work properly with these games that only supported 3 buttons natively. It's a small list, but Golden Axe III is one that is affected. There are also a couple games that require the mode button to be used as part of gameplay. So, something else to keep in mind.

https://segaretro.org/Six_Button_Contro ... nformation
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

NoAffinity wrote:Be cautioned that certain models of the genesis pads are not hackable. I have no explanation, but it has been documented by a handful of modders, myself included. Stay completely away from 3rd party controllers for the donor pcb. The models I found to work are: MK-1627 and MK-1653. The MK-1470 would not work, and a cheap Tomee 6-button controller would not work (but in fairness, that piece of s**t is known to not work out of the box). In both cases, random button presses would occur, inputs would output incorrectly after a few minutes of gameplay. I tested with 2 different MK-1470's, and again, others have reported the same thing (although not necessarily identifying the model number as being linked to the problem).

These are 6-button controllers, of course. I never messed with the 3-button controllers as donors, but I was successful with the MK-1627 first, and then gambled that the MK-16** series was the solution to the problem, and had succes with MK-1653. So, by that line of reasoning, any 3-button MK-16** controller should be a safe bet.

Also, if you're going to be using a 6-button controller, you may need to consider how to accomodate the 'mode' button. You may be aware of all this already, but just another word of caution. There are a handful of games that require that the mode button be pressed and held while the genesis is being powered on, in order for the 6-button controller to work properly with these games that only supported 3 buttons natively. It's a small list, but Golden Axe III is one that is affected. There are also a couple games that require the mode button to be used as part of gameplay. So, something else to keep in mind.

https://segaretro.org/Six_Button_Contro ... nformation
Excellent info, thanks. Once I get home I will check if one of my 6 buttons is the model listed. I will most likely leave the mode button pushable on the physical board since I am using an Atrox stick (easy access is sweet!)

The link posted appears to be broken, any chance you would be able to share the fixed one? A pinout would be awesome of what I need to solder, unless I put globs on the actual contact points? Never done this before
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Try this:

https://segaretro.org/Six_Button_Contro ... ega_Drive)

If that doesn't work, go to segaretro.org. use the site's search function to search for "six button". It should be the first link under "page title matches".

:edit: oh and I should clarify that the pad hacks I've done were strictly for stand-alone genesis fight sticks/arcade-style sticks. I have not tried dual modding with a genny pcb.