Not getting video from my Saturn...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

Not getting video from my Saturn...

Post by dave4shmups »

This is a Japanese model, that I had stored away safely. I got it out a few days ago, plugged in the AV cables, and I’m not getting any signal-with or without a game in it. I know that the cables are plugged in the right way. The access light comes on, so it’s getting power, but that’s it.

Has this Saturn reached the end of it’s lifespan, or is there anything else I can try?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
SCARTicus

Re: Not getting video from my Saturn...

Post by SCARTicus »

Are you using composite video? What display are you connected to? Do you continue to hear disc spinning and loading noises if you keep it turned on with a game?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Look at the battery compartment to see if its leaked or something.

Boot it up with the audio cables in an amp or TV or something on the right output, is there audio?

Does the disc spin?

My original Saturn developed a fault. It started to show graphical glitches. Never heard of a Saturn just dying outright.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

No audio, with or without a game in the Saturn. The game discs spin, and the Access light does come on. I have it hooked up to a Sony Trinitron CRT TV, with composite cables. I've tried two pairs of cables this and have had the same result. I hooked up my Wii to the same set of AV jacks on my TV, and it worked, so there's no issue with the AV jacks.
Farewell to hollow words
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

Had the same problem with my jpn saturn,ended up being the caps,once replaced it worked just fine.
FBX

Post by FBX »

If you'd like I can do some service work on it for you (recap and trace the problem). Just send me a PM if interested.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Pikkon wrote:Had the same problem with my jpn saturn,ended up being the caps,once replaced it worked just fine.
Yeah, I think that's what it is after watching a YouTube video. I thought to myself, "The Saturn's built like a tank!", which is true, but all consoles from the 90s are getting old enough to where they're all eventually going to need recapping.
Farewell to hollow words
FBX

Post by FBX »

Just an update on this:

I've got Dave's Saturn and started diagnostics. It's an ancient VA0 Saturn. System battery was of course dead, power rails were excellent (these old originals send 9V, 5V, and 3.3V from the power supply board). Then I got down to the mother board and saw all the caps were dinky 5.3mm tall surface mount electrolytics. So I went on digi-key and ordered a complete cap replacement with my favorite brand of Nichicon. Those should arrive in 3 to 5 days. In the meantime, I'll remove all the current caps and have it ready for the new caps as soon as they arrive.

Also I watched several videos on this, and this is actually a common failure starting to happen on these original VA0 Saturns, and it is the caps going bad. The symptoms are always the same: no A/V, but everything else works fine.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Board prepped with all electrolytic caps removed and pads cleaned. And yes, almost all the caps were near completely dried out. I will say even with a hot air station, this took some time to remove all the caps, as I had to use several foil heat blocks to make sure I didn't burn or melt anything around the caps. I looked on youtube for videos on easier methods, and really there's no better way to do it. Some suggested adding fresh solder and gently tilting each side until the cap comes free, but even that method risks lifting delicate pads (especially on these really old consoles with gooey residue underneath the caps). So to play it safe and professional, I did it with the W.E.P 854D hot air station. Below is the board ready for new caps (which will be coming in a couple days from Digi-key):
Spoiler
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

An easier less dangerous method than a hot air station is cutting the caps in half.
After that your left with 2 legs that fall out or get sucked out easily unless your on a ground plane then turn up the heat on the iron.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Syntax wrote:An easier less dangerous method than a hot air station is cutting the caps in half.
After that your left with 2 legs that fall out or get sucked out easily unless your on a ground plane then turn up the heat on the iron.
I had researched that on youtube, and a lot of people thought that had its own risks and wasn't a professional way of doing it. Hot air worked fine, you just have to be patient and protect the surroundings with heat blocks, and it really is the most safest method for pad integrity.

Edit: Found Voultar has a video where he comments on this very subject himself:

https://youtu.be/oe0DvzKMNe4?t=871
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Just make sure you cut the caps as low as you can, in line with the legs, never pull up before the cut is finished, avoid cutting other components and clean up any fluid that has leaked out.

All common sense really. Since using this method my recap time has been cut in half (no pun) and I have not damaged a single via. I suggest you try it.

Only con is the cap heads go flying around the room lol.
Wear glasses or a CRT.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

I respect Voultar and agree with 99% of everything he says, but I disagree with him and can vouch for cutting SMD caps. It's always worked reliably for me, and the concern of electrolytic fluid getting on the board after you cut the cap isn't really a problem as long as you clean it up immediately. For 1 off repairs that us hobbyists do, using a hot air station is fine, but if I was being paid to do these repairs on a regular basis, I would definitely be using a quicker method like cutting them.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Was this the grey/blue Saturn by chance? I want that color scheme, but not if it means VA0 and dead capacitors.
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP »

Hi,
just posting here 'cause not sure if it's worth a new thread.

Anyway:
I've 2 japs Saturn, a grey one and a white one.
With the same setup (same CRT, RGB cable from retrogamingcables, cheap S-video cable from eBay) I get the following: the grey one works fine with S-Video, but picture is out of sync with RGB cable (audio ok); the white one gives a perfect RGB picture... but no S-Video.

I then hooked-up both consoles to my plasma via FM and I got the same result.
Composite Video is ok on both consoles.

Any ideas? I bought both consoles "loose" during a trip in japan (Super Potato).

Thanks.
FBX

Post by FBX »

GeneraLight wrote:Was this the grey/blue Saturn by chance? I want that color scheme, but not if it means VA0 and dead capacitors.
Grey/blue. It's only a matter of time before the SME caps on the VA0's go bad, and judging by the number of youtube videos on this same situation with the Sofia for example, expect this to become more and more commonplace in the years to come.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'd like this site to tackle the issues of aging hardware and hardware issues. Especially making things better.

I'd like to see -

Any machines that need caps replacing
Any machines that use batteries in carts/ is there an alternative method? Can't you write a file to something that doesn't need battery backup?
What causes cartridges to stop working on first insert and why does blowing them work? What are you actually blowing away, dust?
Could we get some Saturn games on cartridge format using a kickstarter? I'd love to get all the SF games on cartridge. I'm sure this is all technically possible.
Can someone make a decent DC pad?

Sorry, going way off topic.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

neorichieb1971 wrote:What causes cartridges to stop working on first insert and why does blowing them work? What are you actually blowing away, dust?
Off-topic or not, I think I can answer these. Corrosion on the pins causes carts to not work on first insert, and the act of inserting and removing the cartridge scrapes at least some of the corrosion away so the cart can start functioning properly. Blowing on the pins doesn't do anything to clean the pins; rather, it ends up spraying saliva particles onto the PCB, which causes more/worse corrosion. It's best to get a cart/slot cleaning kit for your relevant console, if possible, and use that with some isopropyl alcohol.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

neorichieb1971 wrote: Could we get some Saturn games on cartridge format using a kickstarter? I'd love to get all the SF games on cartridge. I'm sure this is all technically possible.
Also very illegal to publish games you don't own the rights to. "Reproduction" is just a fancy word for piracy.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Konsolkongen wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote: Could we get some Saturn games on cartridge format using a kickstarter? I'd love to get all the SF games on cartridge. I'm sure this is all technically possible.
Also very illegal to publish games you don't own the rights to. "Reproduction" is just a fancy word for piracy.
There are lots of official licensed reproductions now. I own at least one. Capcom have licensed reruns of Megaman X etc. Its doable if someone wants to do it.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Yes, the officially licensed reproductions (the word makes sense here), are kewl. I've got nothing against those :)

I misunderstood what you meant, I assumed you were talking about individuals unaffiliated with Capcom starting to make and distribute these games themselves. As is normally the case with reproductions :/
FBX

Post by FBX »

Caps came in from Digi-key and I installed them just now. Below is the video of the first-time bootup after installing the caps (playing a little SFA2 to show off the reliability):

https://youtu.be/SPeEPk3po9w

As you can see, she runs beautifully now (although my dumbass hit the reset button by accident trying to put SFA2 in the console). I also installed a new battery for shits and giggles

Here's a photo of my work after installing all the new caps:
Spoiler

Console will be shipped back this evening. Cheers and thanks for giving me an opportunity to prove my repair skill!

-FBX
strygo

Post by strygo »

Doh, I had the exact same thing happen to my VA0 Saturn. I had inspected the board and didn't notice anything leaking, so I'm glad it's a straightforward fix!

Steve
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

SFZ2, a great game. Memories flooding back.

I wish a kickstarter existed to get some of the capcom titles onto a cartridge.