Not sure if I should get AVS NES?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Brad251

Not sure if I should get AVS NES?

Post by Brad251 »

Currently I have an unmodded front loading NES with an Everdrive N8, a softmodded Wii running Retroarch and a PC for running emulators on my HDTV and PC monitor. I have a Trinitron FV300 in good working condition but sometimes don't like to use it because after a while of playing on it, it strains my eyes a little. Also, the FV300 makes the dot crawl on the NES's RF and composite connections look really bad. I do like playing NES via the Nestopia core in Retroarch on my flat screens and in most games input lag isn't much of an issue but I do notice it in a game where timing is really critical like Mike Tyson's Punchout.

My main intent in getting the AVS would be to reduce input lag even more but with Retroarch's new rollback feature for reducing input latency, I'm not sure I would be reducing input lag that much compared to an AVS. I can't justify the cost of an HDMI NES or doing something like RGB modding my NES and getting an OSSC. I mainly care about input lag on the NES and am fine emulating my other systems.

I have a 9 year old 40" Samsung 1080p TV and a 9 year old Gateway 1440p LCD monitor that seems to have a low amount of input lag. At some point in the near future I do plan on upgrading both of these but it likely won't happen for 1-2 years. My Samsung TV definitely has more input lag than my PC monitor but it isn't terrible by any means.
opt2not

Re: Not sure if I should get AVS NES?

Post by opt2not »

Brad251 wrote:My main intent in getting the AVS would be to reduce input lag even more but with Retroarch's new rollback feature for reducing input latency, I'm not sure I would be reducing input lag that much compared to an AVS. I can't justify the cost of an HDMI NES or doing something like RGB modding my NES and getting an OSSC. I mainly care about input lag on the NES and am fine emulating my other systems.
I can't say if you're going to get better lag one vs. the other, but I can say the AVS is fantastic and I've had no issues with input lag as far as I can tell. I game on a Benq Zowie as well, so it's definitely on a low-lag display. Everything feels pretty much like how I remember it when I was a kid.
It's a no fuss set-up with HDMI output, AND it supports both famicom and nes games, plus has an extension port in the back for special input devices like the Vaus Arkanoid controller.

Another nice feature is the high-score updating to the NintendoAge scoreboard. Which is nice if you want to compete with other enthusiasts and place your scores up on a board.

I've had nothing but good times with my AVS, and regard it as a great value for pretty accurate functionality of the NES but with the extra bells and whistles for under $200. But I've got an already extensive library of original carts and controllers, so for me it was a no-brainer.