Strange issue with CMVS - No sound in Aero Fighters 2/3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
werk91

Strange issue with CMVS - No sound in Aero Fighters 2/3

Post by werk91 »

I received the CMVS yesterday and every game I played worked without an issue, except Aero Fighters games. Initially I saw the issue on my AF2 cart, tried cleaning the contacts but still no sound. Since I hadn't tested the cart before I thought maybe it needs repairs and proceeded to try AF2 from the 161 in 1 banana multi cart just to be greeted with no sound again! Tried AF3, same deal. Really curious what could be causing something like this when all other games I've tried have sound and the motherboard itself has sound in hardware test or splash screens. This is running Unibios 4.0 and is a MV-1C board.
Fudoh

Re: Strange issue with CMVS - No sound in Aero Fighters 2/3

Post by Fudoh »

I'm pretty sure that with AF3 that's the multi-cart's fault. I ran into the same problem on a different number of MVS setups.

Why your original AF2 cart would behave the same - that I can't answer.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Interesting, thanks Fudoh. Does AF2 from multi cart work with sound for you or its same as AF3 ? Likely my AF2 cart needs some repairs, after all I picked it really cheap from someone on eBay who had even listed it with a misspelled title.

Another query I have is regarding the battery mod. I think he said he will add a coin cell battery holder and from the photos looked like he has done it. But bios settings and game soft dip settings aren't saved on power off. They're saved on reset though. I will be opening it tonight to see what's going on with that battery, is there a guide on how to install a coin cell CR3032 inside MV-1C board I can use for reference? Also is that way of doing it generally preferred to installing a high capacity Ni-Cd rechargeable battery?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Just have a look at Retrocore's battery installation video. The reason why he removed the batteries in the first place seem to space restrains where the battery is usually fitted. But in reality you can put the battery anywhere you like, you might just need to add two wires to extend the pins where it was supposed to go in the first place.

The rechargable barrel type ones are rated with 3.6V, so I don't really know if the 3.0V from a CR2032 are enough to replace the original ones (but they probably are).

On a systems that's hardly used or switched off for longer periods of time a regular battery might be better than a rechargable one. The original idea of the boards was probably to have them run 12-24 hours per day and the battery was just there to bridge shorter periods of down time.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Retrocore's guide is what I was planning on doing initially, since it seemed reasonable. But tonight when I actually opened the case it turned out the coin cell battery holder is already installed, but battery was missing inside :lol:
I've put one in and now settings are saved on power off. And I do agree that for a system that might not be turned on for long periods of time a normal battery might be better. Since this MVS is in a AES case (from a dead console) if I ever need to add the rechargeable battery there should be enough room.

Still a bit puzzled about the sound issues I have though, found out tonight that Strikers also has no sound from the multi cart. What its even weirder is that all videos on YouTube showing those games with the same cart (older revision maybe?) have sound working fine. This cart was only meant for until I get something better so its all cool anyways :)
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

are you sure your Ebay AF2 cart is original? i have an original i bought years ago and it works perfectly on my Cbox. the cbox also has an mv-1c board in it.

could you post some pics of the inside of it?
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Is the CRC check from the Unibios sufficient enough to say whether its fake or the real deal? It passed that with all OKs.
I'll take it apart and take a few photos tonight otherwise. I can perfectly understand the cart being at fault, its likely considering how dirty the contacts were. What I don't understand is why the game ( and the other shmups too ) work with sound from multi cart for other people, but not me :lol:
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Here's some photos of the AF2 cart boards: Link
Not sure what's going on with that little capacitor :o
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

i took a look at it. it doesnt have any windowed eproms or small surface mount chips where a maskrom should be. also, no wires.

looks like an original af2 to me.

if you have access to another neo geo motherboard you can try plugging your cart into it and see if you get sound.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Thanks for looking, after comparing it with photos from mvs-scans I can say it looks legit to me too. I've no access to another MVS board to test with. Best I can probably do is go with it to some local arcade and ask them to try it for me or send it to the person that did the CMVS for repair service.
Using the Pick'nMix mode of the Unibios I went through all the games on the 161 in 1 and each had sound working right off the bat, except AF2, AF3 and Strikers 1945 Special. Maybe I've just gotten a dodgy multi cart and its all a coincidence. Would like to know for sure though, especially before I invest the money into an Everdrive/ proper multi cart from Darksoft...