Sega preparing new ultimate arcade stick product...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Sega preparing new ultimate arcade stick product...

Post by Thunder Force »

Reported by a UK forum, certainly looks interesting...
greenhillzone.co.uk wrote:Down at the TGS show Sega Logistic Services (the same division that released the PS2 remakes of the Saturn Virtua Stick and the Saturn pad - the Saturn pad remake is lovely, btw) pimped their new product, The A-Stick:

The stick comes in a few varieties - Initially, there is one-player and two-player versions (the one-player is the same size, with a different panel and button plugs for one side), but there are plans to bring out an assortment of styles, including Seimitsu parts and SNK-stylised panels (it looks like one is for the upcoming KoF Orochi pack on the PS2).

The default options are not to be overlooked, though - The vanilla sticks are fully equipped with Sanwa JLFs and Sanwa RG buttons as default. from looks alone, the stick is basically an enclosure for the candy cab-standard panel to fit in - so it would be a good guess that any panel you see on an Astro or otherwise can be bolted in and hooked up to the PS2 encoders (I would expect it's all quick disconnected).

It's expected to be released December time, with a hefty but reasonable approximate price tag - £125 for the One Player Panel, and £150 for the Two-Player Panel.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
SAM

Post by SAM »

Too late... :?

I already have six different version of Hori RAPs at home...

I really love Sanwa RG buttons. If this thing come out first, I won't have to buy RG buttons to swap inside the Hori RAPs. :o With this offer I still need to buy Seimitsu Joystick through.

Anyway, it's too late for me... :(
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

First of all WOW!! Second, don't those sticks look a little taller than normal? I wonder if they had to change the mountings to raise the sticks because of a space concern underneath? If so, then this might not be backward compatible with original Astro arcade style panels. :?
japtor

Post by japtor »

Dave_K. wrote:First of all WOW!! Second, don't those sticks look a little taller than normal? I wonder if they had to change the mountings to raise the sticks because of a space concern underneath? If so, then this might not be backward compatible with original Astro arcade style panels. :?
hard to tell. on the right stick it looks sorta normal, although confusing because the lighting/shadows...but the left one does look tall. im not near my cab right now but comparing to this picture it does seem just a little tall. im sure its compatible though, the shape and all the screw mounts look identical.

the new lindbergh machine panels look different from what ive seen though. from what i could tell, they were just rectangular. surface wise they looked cool too, sort of a smoke mirror finish or something...or maybe it was just the picture i saw. for all i know this is the new panel.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

My understanding is that the JLFs are a bit taller than most Japanese sticks, so that could account for it. That was one of the factors in selecting them for my control panel overhaul, if I recall.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

The 1P models look ridiculous with that huge base with a single setup in the middle. Strange they didn't go with Seimitsu sticks, which seems to be what most people want (or maybe that survey they did showed differently?). Anyway, maybe Sega got this inspiration from seeing Daigo's classic ripped-out-Astro-City-panel-in-a-box?
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

I want the one player model. Only because the 2p would be to big to carry around at evo. 8)
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Err, they're both the exact same size as stated. Here's a picture: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/doc ... /ggl11.htm
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

My bad.

In that case, too big and clunky then. What a waste.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

It may look like a waste because of the portability this is supposed to bring, but 1P astro panels are very common (I have one on my windy2 right now). Of course on a cab it looks fine.

BTW: I'm working on a similar project this xmas, to mount a spare astro panel I have into a small desk to use with consoles. :D
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

cool but it should be cheaper...

i say this not for any practical reason, i just don't want to spend that much.
I have no sig whatsoever.
japtor

Post by japtor »

Anyway, maybe Sega got this inspiration from seeing Daigo's classic ripped-out-Astro-City-panel-in-a-box?
was daigos before segas astro city saturn control panel? it was basically the whole control panel area of an astro (plastic casing, instruction sheet area and all) wired to saturn controls.
Dave_K. wrote:BTW: I'm working on a similar project this xmas, to mount a spare astro panel I have into a small desk to use with consoles. :D
i had something like that a while ago before getting a new desk, cept ghettoer:

i had spare parts, my keyboard tray wasnt being used for anything, and i just got a drill and hole saw. it was the next logical step to me.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Nice! I also like the getto tated laptop (I do the same thing). :D
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

Is that ESPrade there? Hah!
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Dave_K. wrote:Nice! I also like the getto tated laptop (I do the same thing). :D

Me three. :D
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

I haven't seen any updates about this product for a while. SLS website is a maze and not much help either. Wonder if this means a major delay.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Here is my homemade verison of that stick pictured at the top. :D

Works well with a 36" VGA monitor and dreamcast or gamecube.
D

Post by D »

*jaw drops* Most awesome table ever. You have good taste in furniture.
elvis

Post by elvis »

Dave_K. wrote:Works well with a 36" VGA monitor and dreamcast or gamecube.
What make/model/brand is that beast! It's bloody huge! :shock:
MKL

Post by MKL »

Yup, that's a very good idea, it gives the same feel as playing on a cab. I did the same thing a few years ago but using Happ parts. Your sticks look quite short though, probably because of the table? You could cut the table so that the stick can be mounted directly on the control panel... anyway great job!
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Um, JP sticks are generally that short...
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

elvis wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:Works well with a 36" VGA monitor and dreamcast or gamecube.
What make/model/brand is that beast! It's bloody huge! :shock:
Its a Gateway Destination 36" monitor. You can get them very cheap as long as you are local. Shipping would be outragous. For example:

ebay auction here

Only difference is mine is a real multisync computer monitor, not a TV. It only has VGA input in the back, no TV or 15khz inputs.
Last edited by Dave_K. on Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

MKL wrote:Yup, that's a very good idea, it gives the same feel as playing on a cab. I did the same thing a few years ago but using Happ parts. Your sticks look quite short though, probably because of the table? You could cut the table so that the stick can be mounted directly on the control panel... anyway great job!
The panel is routed flush to the top. Sticks are mounted to the panel as usual, and that is normal height. Here is a pic of the underside. This mini table/desk was actually an art stand of some type, where it has a hinge to lift it up and store supplies underneath. Perefect for an arcade panel.

So this mini table/desk was actually the same height as the other table, but I start getting carpal tunnel playing with it so high in a normal chair. So I cut 3" off the bottom to lower it to similar Astro City height...now feels fine with a normal size chair/stool.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Dave, I think your panel/table kicks serious ass. :) Which Seimitsus are those? LS-33's? 55's? And did you buy the panel and parts separately, or did it all come preassembled?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

bigbadboaz wrote:Dave, I think your panel/table kicks serious ass. :) Which Seimitsus are those? LS-33's? 55's? And did you buy the panel and parts separately, or did it all come preassembled?
Thanks. :D The panel was originally from my Astro City that I bought used locally (came with some worn out seimitsu's and chinese buttons that clicked when you pressed them). Since I normally play shooters my Astro, I put in a 3 button astro panel that I got off ebay, and kept this one to the side since I knew I'd like to build a fighter panel for consoles. I replaced the buttons with Sanwas from from excellentcom. I took out the worn out seimitsu's and put in these chinese seimitsu knock-offs, they feel exactly like Sanwa JLF's since they don't use blades on the microswitches. They were selling on BYOC for $7.50 a pop with clear ball top till they ran out of stock (Gozur actually gave me these as thanks for helping to hookup a DC on his Aero City). I took off the clear ball tops and used the original pink/green seimitsu tops.

The mini-table/desk I found at a local Goodwill Store for $25. It used to have a plastic drawer underneath to store paint brushes and supplies, I removed that and put in a white foam board just so wires wouldn't hang down. I then cut and routed the top to drop in the astro panel.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

wow that's intense!

looks like there's just enough room for two people to fit into it, though things might get a bit intimate :p

the beastly monitor just tops it all off.
=/
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

great work Dave. i love that desk. nice set up.
WW3

Post by WW3 »

Yeah, Jesus, that is incredible, best picture I've seen on the 'net for a long time.

Makes me want to enroll on an engineering course!!

Good job.
Live Tag: rob666uk, playing mainly Street Fighter & OutRun :)
"Just a couple more shots!" ...yeah right *dies* :(