OSSC and Denon AVR question (Audio)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MidOrFeed2015

OSSC and Denon AVR question (Audio)

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

I have a setup as follows:

SCART consoles (audio included) -> OSSC -> HDMI -> DENON AVR -> TV
COMPONENT consoles & Red/White to Stereo -> OSSC -> HDMI -> DENON AVR -> TV

Without any intervention, when switching to YPbPr or RGBs (for scart or component consoles respectively), audio will play properly.

My famicom though (for reasons I will not get into) does not output audio through scart after a mod I did. It separates the channels into RCA jacks, and because of this I am directly plugging the famicom to my AVR's analog #1 audio port.

The AVR has an "Input Source" option where it can either play audio from the following:

HDMI
Analog
Auto

HDMI will always play audio from the HDMI signal. Analog will play from my Famicom. The annoying thing is having to switch. Auto does not solve the solution for me because the Famicom is part of the SCART chain which outputs HDMI, and it seems to put priority over analog even though audio is impossible to play over my famicom's SCART (this is because the mod has severed any traces that lead audio to the scart or video output).

The interesting thing is if I power on my famicom and remove the scart cable from the back, the AVR begins to play my famicom's audio. The AVR seems to be smart enough thankfully.

I just want your opinion on an idea I had. I can see the SCART pinout has 5 pins representing audio. Maybe I can make an exception for my famicom scart cable and bust off those audio pins so that no audio is transferred whatsoever.

So with no audio being transferred at all through those pins, the AVR's auto option may fallback to analog.

Thoughts?
nmalinoski

Re: OSSC and Denon AVR question (Audio)

Post by nmalinoski »

I had a similar problem with my Onkyo receiver TOSLINK. My OSSC is hooked up to the Game input on my receiver, and I have a component switch that handles TOSLINK (Currently takes TOSLINK from my Xbox and PS2). Video and analog audio from the component switch go into the OSSC, but, since the OSSC doesn't switch TOSLINK, I have to route the digital audio output from my component switch directly to my receiver.

Now, the problem is that my receiver will only fall back to TOSLINK audio if there is no audio signal received over HDMI. Unfortunately, even though it isn't getting any audio from the AV2 input, the OSSC seems to always send some kind of audio signal over HDMI, which means my receiver will never fall back to TOSLINK.

I think that's what's happening for you, with your Famicom audio routed around the OSSC--it's not falling back, because the OSSC isn't allowing it to.

In my case, what I discovered I could do is create a second profile on my OSSC (I normally only use one, so your mileage may vary) with TX Mode set to DVI. This prevents audio from being sent over HDMI, and allows my receiver to fall back on TOSLINK.

You could do the same with your OSSC, and your receiver should then fall back on the associated analog input; however, I have to do this because the OSSC is incapable of accepting and switching TOSLINK. You're working with analog audio, so you could very well get one of those SCART shims that lets you inject audio. Put it between the SCART head of your Famicom cable and the OSSC, connect the RCA audio leads to it, and the OSSC will digitize it like it does for your other consoles.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

nmalinoski wrote:I had a similar problem with my Onkyo receiver TOSLINK. My OSSC is hooked up to the Game input on my receiver, and I have a component switch that handles TOSLINK (Currently takes TOSLINK from my Xbox and PS2). Video and analog audio from the component switch go into the OSSC, but, since the OSSC doesn't switch TOSLINK, I have to route the digital audio output from my component switch directly to my receiver.

Now, the problem is that my receiver will only fall back to TOSLINK audio if there is no audio signal received over HDMI. Unfortunately, even though it isn't getting any audio from the AV2 input, the OSSC seems to always send some kind of audio signal over HDMI, which means my receiver will never fall back to TOSLINK.

I think that's what's happening for you, with your Famicom audio routed around the OSSC--it's not falling back, because the OSSC isn't allowing it to.

In my case, what I discovered I could do is create a second profile on my OSSC (I normally only use one, so your mileage may vary) with TX Mode set to DVI. This prevents audio from being sent over HDMI, and allows my receiver to fall back on TOSLINK.

You could do the same with your OSSC, and your receiver should then fall back on the associated analog input; however, I have to do this because the OSSC is incapable of accepting and switching TOSLINK. You're working with analog audio, so you could very well get one of those SCART shims that lets you inject audio. Put it between the SCART head of your Famicom cable and the OSSC, connect the RCA audio leads to it, and the OSSC will digitize it like it does for your other consoles.
Did not think of the audio inject method.

So something like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-Adapter- ... 2009216239

That is a very good idea. Thank you for the suggestion.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

They make little SCART passthrough boxes with RCA audio inputs that you can use between the Famicom and your SCART switch. That's the easiest solution.

That will out the audio over SCART and solve your issue.
We apologise for the inconvenience
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:Did not think of the audio inject method.

So something like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-Adapter- ... 2009216239

That is a very good idea. Thank you for the suggestion.
Yes, like that; however, you need to be mindful of the construction of these adapters. The one you linked specifically says the 3.5mm TRS jack is an output, so it's possible that audio isn't even connected on the male SCART connector, where you need it.

Of course, that particular breakout is less than 5 GBP, so you're not wasting much money if it doesn't work, and, if it's designed in a way that opening it doesn't completely destroy it, you could very well modify it to be a proper audio injector for your application.